SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

best/worst trades of the decade...

Dec. 11, 2019 at 1:12 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
If EDM makes the Cup Final this season with their current roster I'll buy you tickets to the 1st game, lol. If they trade for Hall the deal is off!!!

this is in writing, has been screengrabbed... formal offer will stand go oilers go!
mhockey91 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 2:04 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Another bad trade (for the oilers, ik a shocker) would be Eberle for Strome, which essentially turned into nothing for the Oilers
mhockey91 and Earfgang liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Another bad trade (for the oilers, ik a shocker) would be Eberle for Strome, which essentially turned into nothing for the Oilers

on the theme of Oilers... Oilers trade 1st round pick (Matt Barzel) and 2nd round pick (Mitchell Stephans) for Griffen Reinhart
AndrewLadd, OldNYIfan, PrisonBull and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: mhockey91
on the theme of Oilers... Oilers trade 1st round pick (Matt Barzel) and 2nd round pick (Mitchell Stephans) for Griffen Reinhart

Oh yeah, how could I forget that, especially since we took that 2nd round pick, traded it up and took Beauvillier
mhockey91, OldNYIfan and Earfgang liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

Eberle -> Strome -> Spooner -> Gagner

In a vacuum 2 of those trades actually look good now, but one looked horrible for the first year, and the other one wasn’t made by Chiarelli.
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 6:35 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Hall for Larsson, Forsberg for Erat, Seguin for Eriksson+, and just about every trade made with Vegas at the expansion draft are some of the obvious choices. But I think for the "worst" trade of the decade, I'd be looking for one that didn't work out for either team. This brings me to Stepan + Raanta for the 7th overall pick and Tony DeAngelo.

From the Coyotes perspective, Stepan hasn't been the guy they imagined they were getting at the time of the trade. He's ended up being a meh middle six center since his arrival, even though the plan was for him to be the stop-gap 1C until they were able to draft and develop one. Raanta has been mostly good when healthy, but his first few years have been completely injury riddled, and he's since been passed by Keumper on the depth chart. He's struggled at times this year too, and he doesn't appear to be in the long-term plans for the team.

The Rangers taking Lias Andersson with the 7th pick doesn't look good. He doesn't have an astounding skill that can make him be anything more than a third liner IMO. DeAngelo has been good for them this year, but he doesn't make up for the value lost from Stepan and Raanta.
OldNYIfan and mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 16, 2019 at 4:56 a.m.
All of these have probably already been said, but the list of bad trades is pretty amazing:

Hall for Larsson
Reinhart for picks that turned into Barzal and Beauvillier
Eaves for a 1st
Seguin to Dallas
Eberle for Strome
The Matt Duchene/Kyle Turris disaster
ROR to St. Louis
Lucic to LA
Both Jeff Carter trades
JVR for Luke Schenn
3 of the 4 Ben Bishop trades
Both Nino Niederreiter trades
Bobby Ryan to Ottawa
Legwand and Lehner for a 1st
Jultz for a 3rd
Hanzal to Minny
Reaves and a 2nd for Sundqvist and a 1st
Schenn for Lehterä and picks(yes they won the cup but jesus christ)
Saad for Panarin
Hoffman to Florida via San Jose
mhockey91, AndrewLadd, Earfgang and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 16, 2019 at 7:04 a.m.
Quoting: Sharks2020
The worst trade of the decade has probably been the Anisimov for Panarin and Saad and subsquently getting Saad back.

I never understood Stan's logic behind this trade. Who trades an underpaid superstar for an overpaid depth Forward?
Dec. 16, 2019 at 7:34 a.m.
I never understood Stan's logic behind this trade. Who trades an underpaid superstar for an overpaid depth Forward?

At the time of trade I thought it was good. I figured Panarin was a product of Kane and would be a 60 point one dimensional winger on Columbus on an expiring contract in 2 seasons, while Saad coming back to Chicago would be a 60 point, 30 goal two way forward locked in for several more seasons. Clearly I was wrong.
Dec. 16, 2019 at 1:41 p.m.
At the time of trade I thought it was good. I figured Panarin was a product of Kane and would be a 60 point one dimensional winger on Columbus on an expiring contract in 2 seasons, while Saad coming back to Chicago would be a 60 point, 30 goal two way forward locked in for several more seasons. Clearly I was wrong.

I think Saad was coming off a career season with the Jackets. He was arguably their best all around player that season, too. It was a tough call at the time.
mhockey91 and MasterMatt23 liked this.
Dec. 17, 2019 at 10:28 a.m.
Below Market Value

At the time, Panarin had two years left on his deal while Saad had four years left. From an on-ice product, it was a lousy trade, but from a cap perspective it made sense; Bowman would rather have had four years of Saad at $6 million than two years of Panarin at $6 million plus an expensive extension or losing him to UFA.
mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 9:41 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
The leafs traded picks that became Richard Rakel and John Gibson for the pick that became Tyler Biggs. The leafs traded a top 6 forward and a top 3 goalie in the league for a Fringe AHL player
mhockey91 and Earfgang liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
All of these have probably already been said, but the list of bad trades is pretty amazing:

Hall for Larsson
Reinhart for picks that turned into Barzal and Beauvillier
Eaves for a 1st
Seguin to Dallas
Eberle for Strome
The Matt Duchene/Kyle Turris disaster
ROR to St. Louis
Lucic to LA
Both Jeff Carter trades
JVR for Luke Schenn
3 of the 4 Ben Bishop trades
Both Nino Niederreiter trades
Bobby Ryan to Ottawa
Legwand and Lehner for a 1st
Jultz for a 3rd
Hanzal to Minny
Reaves and a 2nd for Sundqvist and a 1st
Schenn for Lehterä and picks(yes they won the cup but jesus christ)
Saad for Panarin
Hoffman to Florida via San Jose

Just a simple blues fan here so I won’t try to comment on all these, but two questions:
Which of the Bishop trades would you say worked out? And
Are you saying the Blues overpaid for Schenn?
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: ab33champ
Just a simple blues fan here so I won’t try to comment on all these, but two questions:
Which of the Bishop trades would you say worked out? And
Are you saying the Blues overpaid for Schenn?

1. The trade where his rights were traded to Dallas
2. Yes, absolutely. It's one of the parts that got them the cup, but I'm still not a fan of the trade.
mhockey91 and ab33champ liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Here's another under the radar trade from recent years: NYR send Derrick Brassard to OTT for Mika Zibanejad AND a 2nd round pick. The 2nd rounder was essentially a late 1st (33rd overall). Now, Mika is a #1 26 year old Center putting up big numbers for the Rangers and the Sens quickly became the league's worst team only months after being 1 goal away from the Cup Finals. Brassard was better at the time, but he's 6 years older than Mika.

A side note: OTT traded away 4 of their top Centers in the 2 years following their magical playoff run: Mika, Brassard, Duchene, and Turris. They also traded EK and Mark Stone
mhockey91 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 5:49 p.m.
Quoting: kaljakori
1. The trade where his rights were traded to Dallas
2. Yes, absolutely. It's one of the parts that got them the cup, but I'm still not a fan of the trade.

I’ll have to disagree on the Schenn part. 2 years of him at a fair price were well worth the cost considering Armstrong was able to offload the worst contract he’s ever given. Plus, you said it yourself, he’s a major part of them getting the cup. That kind of ends the discussion.
MasterMatt23 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 9:53 p.m.
Earfgang
Edited Dec. 19, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
since the 2010's are wrapping up... I think its time to make a decade list of the best/worst trades of this decade... there's so many that we could discuss on here. so im curious to see what everyone thinks...

ill start us off:

one of the best trades:
https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-acquire-kessel-from-maple-leafs/c-773329

While Pens paid a pretty significant price (main assets were a first round pick and Kapanen). There is NO DOUBT in my mind that Pens would not have won back to back cups without Kessel. Pens were coming off the worst season of the Crosby/Malkin Era (8th in Eastern conference, First round playoff loss in 5 games). And it seemed to many that Pittsburgh was no longer cup contenders. Not only that... but Pittsburgh Penguins were FOR SALE during summer of 2015. Acquiring Kessel sent a message that Pens were still in it to win it and Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury core still had more to prove. The rest is obviously history.

on the Toronto side of things: moving Kessel pretty much guaranteed them securing last place in the NHL and showed the full commitment management had to a rebuild. Leafs then had the highest chances at winning the draft lottery and landed Matthews with 1st Overall. On top of that, leafs gained Kapanen who is a good top 6 winger and a first round pick which helped them acquire a starting goalie in Freddy Anderson. The only "knock" for the leafs is that they had to retain 1.2 million on Kessel's contract which is still effecting them to this day.

Adding Kessel sent a m

To be the worst trade it has to work out for neither team and make both teams significantly worse. The trade that does that is Subban and Weber. It didn't work out for either team and it was a big name trade.
OldNYIfan and mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:32 a.m.
Quoting: ab33champ
I’ll have to disagree on the Schenn part. 2 years of him at a fair price were well worth the cost considering Armstrong was able to offload the worst contract he’s ever given. Plus, you said it yourself, he’s a major part of them getting the cup. That kind of ends the discussion.

I know the draft is a crapshoot, but the players the Flyers got with the picks is, uh, quite something. Also I've got a really bad feeling about the new contract Schenn got, could regress to an albatross in the first half of it.
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:48 p.m.
Since the /r/nhlstreams subreddit shut down, I'm using Bilasport reddit nhl streams .
Feb. 24, 2020 at 9:06 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: dannyrogers22
Since the /r/nhlstreams subreddit shut down, I'm using Bilasport reddit nhl streams .

you broke the one rule, bot.
mhockey91 and MasterMatt23 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 5:02 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Guess you can add the Barclays Goodrow trade to the worst column
mhockey91 and hanson493 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 7:48 p.m.
Guess you can add the Barclays Goodrow trade to the worst column

Guess you can add Taylor Hall to the Coyotes, too! Would somebody explain to me how they've been so bad since the Hall trade. You add a player who's on a 66 point pace and you drop 4 spots in the Pacific standings. Crazy.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 9:24 p.m.
Ivan Barbashev Stan
From the perspective of a Blues fan, the Blues best and worst trades of the decade were Blues and Sabres. Best is easily O'Reilly for essentially dead cap, Tage Thompson, and picks. Thompson had some maturity issues in STL and was, hindsight being 20/20, not even a top 3 prospect in the organization(Kyrou, Kostin, Mikkola all looking better) and while Sobotka and Berglund(although a whipping boy among the fans whose animosity then shifted to Jake Allen, then Justin Faulk) were coveted by fans, their useful years had passed and were more or less relics of the old Backes/Oshie/Steen core days. ROR was the only person keeping the Blues anywhere remotely close to competitive before the run to the cup and won the Conn-Smythe and the Selke.

On the flip side, the Blues worst trade by far was getting Ryan Miller and Steve Ott for Jaro Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, and 2 picks. Although Ott was a fan favorite and the only reason the injury battered blues hung around late in the season (not to mention a key cog on the Blues's cup-winning coaching staff), Miller - though a better goalie on paper than Halak - never really fit and had a miserable tenure with the Blues. Halak has had more success since than Miller, being a good 1A in Long Island and one of the best backups in the league today in boston, Stewart was a top-6 guy who Ott didn't really replace in production, Carrier has ended up being a solid role player and made the cup final with vegas, the Sabres turned Chris Stewart into Ukko-Pekka Luhkonen who should be a solid nhl goalie, and the 1st became Jack Roslovic.

tl;dr the O'Reilly fleecing was karma for the Ryan Miller fleecing
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 11:33 a.m.
Below Market Value
Guess you can add Taylor Hall to the Coyotes, too! Would somebody explain to me how they've been so bad since the Hall trade. You add a player who's on a 66 point pace and you drop 4 spots in the Pacific standings. Crazy.

They really weren't that great prior to acquiring Hall, at least from a skaters' perspective. They were riding insanely hot goaltending (.940 5v5 SV%). Since then, goaltending has fallen hard, down to a .918 5v5 SV%. Their xG numbers are about the same both before and after, in the bottom third of the league. And their shooting percentage has remained about the same.
Brian2016 and mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.

kuemper got injured a few games after the trade. He was the best goalie in the league until that point.
Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll