Forums/Armchair-GM

I Come In Peace

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 9, 2019
Published: Dec. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I love the Islanders and our players, but they aren't the most gifted offensively.

That said, they skated circles around Tampa tonight.

Tampa fans, what's going on? I'm genuinely interested in why this team has fallen so hard this year. Don't get me wrong, no one should sleep on these guys, but this is not the same juggernaut from last year. I'd love some insight
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$80,531,664$0$1,362,500$968,336
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,166,666$5,166,666
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 6
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$833,333$833,333
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 9, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
Log off the internet
McElhinney is **** and our players are pussies
Dec. 9, 2019 at 9:33 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Hedman77
McElhinney is **** and our players are pussies

Interesting
Dec. 9, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
Lets go bolts!
Too much rage to be specific just one word. . . Inconsistent
Dec. 9, 2019 at 9:37 p.m.
Zach
I believe it is all in the head. It is extremely difficult to come back from that postseason performance. They were a top 5 team in the cap era and got swept in the first round, how do you look at your teammates after going through that embarrassment?
We_Want_The_Cup liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 9:58 p.m.
BOLT LOVER
Edited Dec. 9, 2019 at 10:18 p.m.
JOHN COOPER .. IT A JOKE HE STILL A COACH .. basically he a loser and hasnt won anything with Tampa .. THREE out of last FOUR years have been upset eliminations in playoffs with the 4th year a missed playoff .. basically a regular season girlie girl with no fire or fear .. he a minor league coach at heart. Until we get a new coach and GM are put in place .. Tampa is an easy playoff out and choker with no balls or account ability
Dec. 10, 2019 at 5:01 a.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Dec. 10, 2019 at 5:14 a.m.
Here is some PRO SAP INSIDE LOOK ANALYSIS about Tampa Bay Lightning (just kidding, it's my own take on the "downfall")
I expected this bad hockey from before the season started(still make the playoffs easy though because of bad atlantic division), my estimation was like 40 games needed... now it's looking like we need a lot more to play good hockey...

I copy paste from another topic:

Coaching problems. Our goal since september = defensive team.(said by organization members,coaches,gm,players... ) Result = top5 worst defensive team in the NHL.
They said today before Islanders game. It will be a 1-0 type of game in pre-interviews.
Result:1-5 loss...
They said same thing before Minnesota game... results 4-5 loss...

We just can't defend, other good teams defend in the middle of the ice. We defend on the outside and we go forward(to attack on the rush before we have the puck) instead going backwards. Watch a team like Arizona then watch Tampa. The difference = night and day.
Last year we didn't try to defend at all and every team just gave up the game vs tampa after a while = 62 wins super easy,could have been 70 wins... in playoffs they didn't give up the game. Result = 0-4 sweep...

So when you have a coach who never focused on defense and tries it for the first time in his life to copy other teams. This is the result. Copycat stuff not always working....
So yeah, it's easy to say just give up instead of 20 danger chances/ night let's give up 15 only... Results sometimes: giving up 23 scoring chances... After sometime it will get better i'm sure, but until then we look like a bad team... It's a learning process, but i'm just not sure Cooper can just be a "Cooper 2.0" ever...

It's like in the NFL:
Bill Bellichick is the best coach, what he does: = focus only on defense. So if you go to him in 2014 and say, let's focus on offense from 2015... the results would be: New England not winning any superbowls anymore...

It's hard to do a 360 degree turn and expect good results... Some night he(cooper) goes back to same routines vs bad teams. Results: 9-3 win, 7-1 win... but those are meaningless games, when game is close, we just lose, because we just don't defend well enough, like 10-15 other teams can... St. Louis,Islanders,Boston,Washington,Carolina, etc...

Yeah on top of that it doesn't help when we have:
Schenn:AHL caliber defender, who gifts every 2nd game a free goal to opponent...
Rutta:Chicago wanted to get rid of him... i wonder why...
Shattenkirk:A buyout caliber defender(gets pushed around - takes big hits & goes down = not strong enough = he is all about offense = not what we need)
Cernak:down year
Serg: still leaks in his defensive game
Coburn:regressed really hard this year due to age(buyout caliber defender)

And we have forwards who just doesn't wanna skate back and block shots/disrupt the opponent = TO DEFEND. They are there sometimes, but they are not trying to give the opponent trouble = big scoring chances coming when they are on the ice. Middle ice = nobody there from tampa every once in a while = easy goals for opponents
Here is a list:
Stamkos = same like Matthews or Laine = non factor in D-zone in meaningful games
Kucherov = he never even tried to block shots,skates like a ghost 8/10 times in D-zone...
Tyler Johnson = same(size problems as well, too easy to ignore him for opponents= not what we need in our "new defensive" LUL system)
Gourde = same

Another problem:Goalie. Vasilevsky got his big contract = instantly goes for a down year = bad sv% and bad GAA stats... like 0.900 SV% and 3.0 goals/game allowed = 2 million $ caphit goalie stats...

There is also the penalties allowed/game issue which just unacceptable... Our goal is to take less penalties this year. Result = we take crazy amount of penalties...
We lost some players(Stralman,JT Miller) who were good defensively... Or good chemistry Girardi...

So the question is how we teach Kucherov or Stamkos to be Anthony Cirelli or Patrice Bergeron or Mark Stone... I think it's really hard once you past age of 24... but not impossible...

In a Nutshell most tampa players gifted offensively, but they are not gifted defensively with talent = you need to learn to defend. Until they don't learn it what to do when Matthew Barzal has the puck... they will just allow too many danger shooots = top 10 most goals allowed/game...

So if there are 20 players who need to focus on defense when opponent has the puck and only 10 really trying the results will be bad.

TLDR:We need time!!! or new players/ new coaches to fix our internal system, which is imprinted in every players brain = full attack mode / zero defensive responsiblity. You need balance to win cups and we don't have that... right now... but it can change... but it's probably not in 2019/2020 season...cry
jasalex liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 8:40 a.m.
GO BOLTS
Quoting: F3ruS
Here is some PRO SAP INSIDE LOOK ANALYSIS about Tampa Bay Lightning (just kidding, it's my own take on the "downfall")
I expected this bad hockey from before the season started(still make the playoffs easy though because of bad atlantic division), my estimation was like 40 games needed... now it's looking like we need a lot more to play good hockey...

I copy paste from another topic:

Coaching problems. Our goal since september = defensive team.(said by organization members,coaches,gm,players... ) Result = top5 worst defensive team in the NHL.
They said today before Islanders game. It will be a 1-0 type of game in pre-interviews.
Result:1-5 loss...
They said same thing before Minnesota game... results 4-5 loss...

We just can't defend, other good teams defend in the middle of the ice. We defend on the outside and we go forward(to attack on the rush before we have the puck) instead going backwards. Watch a team like Arizona then watch Tampa. The difference = night and day.
Last year we didn't try to defend at all and every team just gave up the game vs tampa after a while = 62 wins super easy,could have been 70 wins... in playoffs they didn't give up the game. Result = 0-4 sweep...

So when you have a coach who never focused on defense and tries it for the first time in his life to copy other teams. This is the result. Copycat stuff not always working....
So yeah, it's easy to say just give up instead of 20 danger chances/ night let's give up 15 only... Results sometimes: giving up 23 scoring chances... After sometime it will get better i'm sure, but until then we look like a bad team... It's a learning process, but i'm just not sure Cooper can just be a "Cooper 2.0" ever...

It's like in the NFL:
Bill Bellichick is the best coach, what he does: = focus only on defense. So if you go to him in 2014 and say, let's focus on offense from 2015... the results would be: New England not winning any superbowls anymore...

It's hard to do a 360 degree turn and expect good results... Some night he(cooper) goes back to same routines vs bad teams. Results: 9-3 win, 7-1 win... but those are meaningless games, when game is close, we just lose, because we just don't defend well enough, like 10-15 other teams can... St. Louis,Islanders,Boston,Washington,Carolina, etc...

Yeah on top of that it doesn't help when we have:
Schenn:AHL caliber defender, who gifts every 2nd game a free goal to opponent...
Rutta:Chicago wanted to get rid of him... i wonder why...
Shattenkirk:A buyout caliber defender(gets pushed around - takes big hits & goes down = not strong enough = he is all about offense = not what we need)
Cernak:down year
Serg: still leaks in his defensive game
Coburn:regressed really hard this year due to age(buyout caliber defender)

And we have forwards who just doesn't wanna skate back and block shots/disrupt the opponent = TO DEFEND. They are there sometimes, but they are not trying to give the opponent trouble = big scoring chances coming when they are on the ice. Middle ice = nobody there from tampa every once in a while = easy goals for opponents
Here is a list:
Stamkos = same like Matthews or Laine = non factor in D-zone in meaningful games
Kucherov = he never even tried to block shots,skates like a ghost 8/10 times in D-zone...
Tyler Johnson = same(size problems as well, too easy to ignore him for opponents= not what we need in our "new defensive" LUL system)
Gourde = same

Another problem:Goalie. Vasilevsky got his big contract = instantly goes for a down year = bad sv% and bad GAA stats... like 0.900 SV% and 3.0 goals/game allowed = 2 million $ caphit goalie stats...

There is also the penalties allowed/game issue which just unacceptable... Our goal is to take less penalties this year. Result = we take crazy amount of penalties...
We lost some players(Stralman,JT Miller) who were good defensively... Or good chemistry Girardi...

So the question is how we teach Kucherov or Stamkos to be Anthony Cirelli or Patrice Bergeron or Mark Stone... I think it's really hard once you past age of 24... but not impossible...

In a Nutshell most tampa players gifted offensively, but they are not gifted defensively with talent = you need to learn to defend. Until they don't learn it what to do when Matthew Barzal has the puck... they will just allow too many danger shooots = top 10 most goals allowed/game...

So if there are 20 players who need to focus on defense when opponent has the puck and only 10 really trying the results will be bad.

TLDR:We need time!!! or new players/ new coaches to fix our internal system, which is imprinted in every players brain = full attack mode / zero defensive responsiblity. You need balance to win cups and we don't have that... right now... but it can change... but it's probably not in 2019/2020 season...cry

I don’t really like this because it is spit on. Showing going to be a tough year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll