Forums/Armchair-GM

Deadline Trades with BOS-CAR-NYI-TOR-EDM

Created by: AJC13
Team: 2019-20 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 3, 2019
Published: Dec. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
LTIR lists possible recalls after trade deadline.
Trades
NYR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (NYR)
CAR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Adam Fox Plays Over 30 Games
NYR
  1. Heinen, Danton
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Kreider, Chris ($2,312,500 retained)
NYR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (CAR)
NYR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (NYI)
NYR
  1. 2020 4th round pick (TOR)
  2. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Deangelo, Anthony ($462,500 retained)
NYR
  1. Manning, Brandon
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Brandon Manning added for cap relief. Does not have to be added to trade if it does not benefit EDM.
NYR
  1. 2020 7th round pick (CAR)
NYR
  1. 2020 7th round pick (PHI)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,456,465$0$7,895,000$5,043,535
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
UFA - 7
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 3
$833,333$833,333
LD
UFA - 2
$809,166$809,166 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
G
UFA - 2
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$730,000$730,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$761,666$761,666 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 10, 2019 at 8:47 a.m.
Ummm.... that's so far off value for most of these guys. I am not even sure where to start... Toronto, Carolina, Boston and New York all shop elsewhere if those are the prices.
AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 9:01 a.m.
buch is going nowhere
Spanky227 and AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 9:06 a.m.
Tspky
Quoting: newballcoach
Ummm.... that's so far off value for most of these guys. I am not even sure where to start... Toronto, Carolina, Boston and New York all shop elsewhere if those are the prices.

i wouldn't be so sure about that... the deadline "rentals" aren't that great this year. But overall see the below

Toronto says no but not because ADA isn't worth that package, but because he doesn't fit the team. They need more defense than offense and ADA brings more offense than defense-- they have plenty of these players

Carolina probably isn't the best option for Georgiev as they have their long term solution in net if Kochetkov comes over from the KHL, it may take 2-3 years though-- but regardless a late first is the ask for Georgiev and young proven goalies have gotten that much (Varlomov, Grubauer, Jones, Andersson)

Strome is a bit much, but considering he is an RFA it's not out of the picture-- offer sheet compensation on his next deal will be more than that (1st and 3rd) especially if he keeps it up this season, i'd be happy with a 2nd rounder + a conditional pick on not matching an offer sheet

Kreider tho is an inflated price-- if i'm the rangers I go after Beecher (literally the next kreider) since his first NCAA season has been so-so his value may be a bit lower than it was on draft day and maybe an extra mid pick thrown in for retained salary
AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 9:12 a.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
Quoting: Spanky227
i wouldn't be so sure about that... the deadline "rentals" aren't that great this year. But overall see the below

Toronto says no but not because ADA isn't worth that package, but because he doesn't fit the team. They need more defense than offense and ADA brings more offense than defense-- they have plenty of these players

Carolina probably isn't the best option for Georgiev as they have their long term solution in net if Kochetkov comes over from the KHL, it may take 2-3 years though-- but regardless a late first is the ask for Georgiev and young proven goalies have gotten that much (Varlomov, Grubauer, Jones, Andersson)

Strome is a bit much, but considering he is an RFA it's not out of the picture-- offer sheet compensation on his next deal will be more than that (1st and 3rd) especially if he keeps it up this season, i'd be happy with a 2nd rounder + a conditional pick on not matching an offer sheet

Kreider tho is an inflated price-- if i'm the rangers I go after Beecher (literally the next kreider) since his first NCAA season has been so-so his value may be a bit lower than it was on draft day and maybe an extra mid pick thrown in for retained salary

Beecher not available. And B’s pass on the original proposal as well.
AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 9:13 a.m.

I don't think DeAngelo is worth that package, we can agree to disagree there. That's almost as much as Trouba was traded for. I think he would fit in well with Toronto, and I'd love to see the Leafs acquire him and Georgiev, but for reasonable prices, not NYR fans capfriendly prices.

None of the goalies you compared Georgiev with were worth late first round picks at the trade deadline. Every one of them was traded during June/July, around the draft or free agency. The value is different then. At the deadline teams are looking to load up for a cup run, a team isn't trading a first rounder they might want to upgrade somewhere else for a backup or unproven goalie going into the playoffs (without a catastrophic injury at the position). And Grubauer didn't fetch a first, it was a second and he was sent with a cap dump. Anybody who gives you a first for Georgiev before the deadline is making a mistake IMO. Not to mention he will lose his waiver exemption at that point, meaning he might worth a bit less to some teams. Good for them if they get a first, but those comparisons are not apples to apples.
AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2019 at 9:16 a.m.
I think the Edmonton trade depends where Edmonton is in the standings at the deadline. If they're still leading the Pacific and likely to pick 25 or later they'd do it, but if they're fighting for a wild card spot (thus making the pick a 15-20) they probably won't make this trade as is.
AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 12, 2019 at 10:36 a.m.
Tspky
I don't think DeAngelo is worth that package, we can agree to disagree there. That's almost as much as Trouba was traded for. I think he would fit in well with Toronto, and I'd love to see the Leafs acquire him and Georgiev, but for reasonable prices, not NYR fans capfriendly prices.

None of the goalies you compared Georgiev with were worth late first round picks at the trade deadline. Every one of them was traded during June/July, around the draft or free agency. The value is different then. At the deadline teams are looking to load up for a cup run, a team isn't trading a first rounder they might want to upgrade somewhere else for a backup or unproven goalie going into the playoffs (without a catastrophic injury at the position). And Grubauer didn't fetch a first, it was a second and he was sent with a cap dump. Anybody who gives you a first for Georgiev before the deadline is making a mistake IMO. Not to mention he will lose his waiver exemption at that point, meaning he might worth a bit less to some teams. Good for them if they get a first, but those comparisons are not apples to apples.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/alexandar-georgiev-1.39384590

yeah you'll have to pony up if you want him..

Will cup contenders pay this price for them at the deadline? maybe, maybe not because usually they have their goalie.
The value of a goalie doesn't shift when he's controlled long term. Regardless of if he's acquired at the tdl or at the draft, he will be viewed as "the goalie of the future" for whatever team he is traded to and will recoup the same amount of assets regardless.

Grubauer was sent WITH A LARGE CAP DUMP and he still got a 2nd round pick -- washington could've gotten a 1st but dumping orpik was a necessity with any trade. Taking a cap dump lessens the pick so IDK what you meant by "grubauer didn't fetch a first, it was a second and he was sent with a cap dump".

These comparisons are almost exactly "apples to apples" with the exception of the time the trade happens. Most of these trades also included more than just a first
-2nd rounder as well: varlomov, andersson
- Sean Kuraly went to boston for Jones
AJC13 liked this.
Dec. 12, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/alexandar-georgiev-1.39384590

yeah you'll have to pony up if you want him..

Will cup contenders pay this price for them at the deadline? maybe, maybe not because usually they have their goalie.
The value of a goalie doesn't shift when he's controlled long term. Regardless of if he's acquired at the tdl or at the draft, he will be viewed as "the goalie of the future" for whatever team he is traded to and will recoup the same amount of assets regardless.

Grubauer was sent WITH A LARGE CAP DUMP and he still got a 2nd round pick -- washington could've gotten a 1st but dumping orpik was a necessity with any trade. Taking a cap dump lessens the pick so IDK what you meant by "grubauer didn't fetch a first, it was a second and he was sent with a cap dump".

These comparisons are almost exactly "apples to apples" with the exception of the time the trade happens. Most of these trades also included more than just a first
-2nd rounder as well: varlomov, andersson
- Sean Kuraly went to boston for Jones

I don't think we are disagreeing as much as you want us to. Especially about the Grubauer trade. You took what I said incorrectly, I was merely stating a fact, that he potentially would have gotten a first but was used to help lessen the salary cap load. Not sure why you were so aggressive about it.

I think your premise of comparing trades done in June to deadline deals is wrong. If you think value is not different at those two times, I don't know what to tell you, but it should be obvious that it is. Deadline deals are for teams to load up for the playoffs or get prospects/picks back in a year when they aren't competing. Usually trading your young, potentially good backup goalie at that time does not make sense (especially if you are a contender). The team trading the young goalie would get less at the deadline then they would in June, hence why in every other example you gave, the teams waited until June to trade that guy.

I think the exception being the timing is the most important part. The Rangers will maximize their return for Georgiev in the offseason, not before. Because then teams will be looking to add a cost-controlled starter, most teams are not looking for that right now. However, it's a risk to wait a bit as well because they will not know what Shesterkin has the potential to be when they do it. An ideal situation for them would be an "injury" to sit Lundquivst for a month or so so they can call Shesterkin up and see how he plays.

Either way, we can disagree, and that's acceptable, but it shouldn't make you angry.
Dec. 12, 2019 at 8:13 p.m.
AJC13
I don't think we are disagreeing as much as you want us to. Especially about the Grubauer trade. You took what I said incorrectly, I was merely stating a fact, that he potentially would have gotten a first but was used to help lessen the salary cap load. Not sure why you were so aggressive about it.

I think your premise of comparing trades done in June to deadline deals is wrong. If you think value is not different at those two times, I don't know what to tell you, but it should be obvious that it is. Deadline deals are for teams to load up for the playoffs or get prospects/picks back in a year when they aren't competing. Usually trading your young, potentially good backup goalie at that time does not make sense (especially if you are a contender). The team trading the young goalie would get less at the deadline then they would in June, hence why in every other example you gave, the teams waited until June to trade that guy.

I think the exception being the timing is the most important part. The Rangers will maximize their return for Georgiev in the offseason, not before. Because then teams will be looking to add a cost-controlled starter, most teams are not looking for that right now. However, it's a risk to wait a bit as well because they will not know what Shesterkin has the potential to be when they do it. An ideal situation for them would be an "injury" to sit Lundquivst for a month or so so they can call Shesterkin up and see how he plays.

Either way, we can disagree, and that's acceptable, but it shouldn't make you angry.

I'm starting to think the best time to trade Geogiev is the offseason, if at all. Teams are allowed to have three goalies on the roster and I don't believe Georgiev or Shesterkin would mind playing every third game the rest of this season and next season if everyone stays healthy. Lundqvist might mind, but he'd then have the weigh that option against finishing his career in New York or waiving his NMC and requesting a trade or leave after next season as a UFA / retire. Georgiev is too good of a goaltender to trade for less than at least a 1st round pick, if even trade at all. But there's certainly no need to panic trade Geogiev at the trade deadline or even in the offseason if other teams don't value Geogiev as much as NYR. There could also be an injury, Lundqvist could request a trade next season, or Lundqvist could retire or leave when he's a UFA at age 40.
newballcoach liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll