Forums/Armchair-GM

Notes after last night

Created by: Jack_
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 11, 2019
Published: Dec. 11, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Holl is a legitimate top 4 defenseman. He has done very well playing top minutes and the competition he played the most against was boeser, petterson, Myers, Hughes and miller.

Aberg gives me PTSD. Especially in the 2nd and 3rd he went into the corners in the DZ and just looked like he was flailing around. At one point he hit a guy and did a star fish kind of thing against the boards. Another time he lost his stick so he just threw the puck to the Canucks defenseman. It's not offen you see a right handed player wear number 46 do that (polak).

One of Johnsson or kapanen are expendable. I would probably to keep kappy and trade johnsson.

Ceci had a good game for his standards and freddy was insane. I dont know how many breakaways they gave up but he robbed them all.

Petan hasn't been very good either. He definitely has the skill he just doesnt look comfortable, he should have had a ppg but didn't.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$84,397,143$0$70,000-$2,897,143
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 11, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Dec. 11, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.
Banned
The more I watch the team the more I think Johnsson is the one to go. I think the depth on the Left side is a lot better than on the right and after Kap there isn't a lot else. On the Left side, Mikheyev, Korshkov, Moore, Hyman and Engval all look like NHLers
OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
The more I watch the team the more I think Johnsson is the one to go. I think the depth on the Left side is a lot better than on the right and after Kap there isn't a lot else. On the Left side, Mikheyev, Korshkov, Moore, Hyman and Engval all look like NHLers

I dont think bracco will be able to play with the leafs so that really leaves the RS open. I'm pretty sure Korskov and moore regularly play RW so that helps a bunch. I'm also a big fan of marchment and what he brings so I hope he gets a shot, in the AHL there was a marchment-brooks-moore line that had something like a 62% corsi playing against top competition under keefe. They dominated so I want that line to get a chance in the future. I'm still here for a bracco for puljujarvi trade so the leafs could make kappy available because I think he would bring in a much better return but it does depend on what happens. I think they will resign Mikheyev and hyman will ask for a ton when his contract expires so if he leaves it will make LW look weak but if they can get him for around 3 million I'm not unhappy with trading johnsson
Dec. 11, 2019 at 12:34 p.m.
Jaxon34
Holl is a Top 4 out default. They don't have anyone good enough to take that place.
They gave up 4 breakaways!! The D is bad imo. Thankfully they have Anderson behind them.
Must improve D and Johnsson I think is the guy you can get the most back with out of the two.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jack_
I dont think bracco will be able to play with the leafs so that really leaves the RS open. I'm pretty sure Korskov and moore regularly play RW so that helps a bunch. I'm also a big fan of marchment and what he brings so I hope he gets a shot, in the AHL there was a marchment-brooks-moore line that had something like a 62% corsi playing against top competition under keefe. They dominated so I want that line to get a chance in the future. I'm still here for a bracco for puljujarvi trade so the leafs could make kappy available because I think he would bring in a much better return but it does depend on what happens. I think they will resign Mikheyev and hyman will ask for a ton when his contract expires so if he leaves it will make LW look weak but if they can get him for around 3 million I'm not unhappy with trading johnsson

Playing on your off wing is hard. Some guys can do it but playing on your strong side makes everything easier. Kapanen on the 3rd line is great. All the other guys can play LW likely better than they can the right. So moving Johnsson makes the smallest impact on the team and could bring back a defenceman or backup goalie. I'd love to see the Leafs scoop up Lehner if only to keep him away from Carolina.
Jack_ liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
The issue is that MOST teams (not all) are faced with a similar situation with having more left handed wingers than right. Canes, as an example, only have 1 right handed forward in their consistent rotation (M.Necas, Gauthier too but he’s not a regular yet).

Kapanen will return more value than AJ.
Jack_ liked this.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
The issue is that MOST teams (not all) are faced with a similar situation with having more left handed wingers than right. Canes, as an example, only have 1 right handed forward in their consistent rotation (M.Necas, Gauthier too but he’s not a regular yet).

Kapanen will return more value than AJ.

Definitely. Kap also has an "elite" talent (his speed) while Johnsson is a good all-around player, but doesn't have one thing that sets him apart (Marner's passing, Matthews' shot, etc.). While it hasn't translated to offence as much as I had hoped (I'd love to see him driving to the net more) it does help Kappy as an excellent zone entry player.

You'd love to not move either one, and in the offseason everyone thought one of those guys was going to move and they've kept both. I could see Kap moving because he has no place in the top-6 or on the PP1. I'd like to see if Toronto could do better then TVR, Forsberg and their first back though.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 1:07 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I’ve been on the Canes getting Kapanen since last offseason, primarily for the apt description of his play below. If you look at the Canes underlying metrics, you’d see that they are merely average at ZE. They are possession monsters once they do, and Kapanen’s speed and forecheck, along with above average finish, would become a staple on the right wing of an elite checking line with Foegele and Staal. He’d also get PP2 and PK time as well.

The value might not work out, but I’d love to see Sami’s boy come home.

Quoting: newballcoach
Definitely. Kap also has an "elite" talent (his speed) while Johnsson is a good all-around player, but doesn't have one thing that sets him apart (Marner's passing, Matthews' shot, etc.). While it hasn't translated to offence as much as I had hoped (I'd love to see him driving to the net more) it does help Kappy as an excellent zone entry player.

You'd love to not move either one, and in the offseason everyone thought one of those guys was going to move and they've kept both. I could see Kap moving because he has no place in the top-6 or on the PP1. I'd like to see if Toronto could do better then TVR, Forsberg and their first back though.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Playing on your off wing is hard. Some guys can do it but playing on your strong side makes everything easier. Kapanen on the 3rd line is great. All the other guys can play LW likely better than they can the right. So moving Johnsson makes the smallest impact on the team and could bring back a defenceman or backup goalie. I'd love to see the Leafs scoop up Lehner if only to keep him away from Carolina.

I definitely agree with you. CF has Korskov listed as a RW. I do like having johnsson I just think it would be beneficial to trade him to fill a hole. They dont need to, they can just trade ceci and get a backup an they will be fine but if they need to trade johnsson to get a backup, that's the price you have to pay. I really like kerfoot and kappy playing together tho. They are fast, good defensively an nasty to play against. I think kerfoot matches well with them to create a sort of shut down line but things get hot and heavy when I think of them going up against other teams 3rd pair defenseman
Dec. 11, 2019 at 1:15 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
I’ve been on the Canes getting Kapanen since last offseason, primarily for the apt description of his play below. If you look at the Canes underlying metrics, you’d see that they are merely average at ZE. They are possession monsters once they do, and Kapanen’s speed and forecheck, along with above average finish, would become a staple on the right wing of an elite checking line with Foegele and Staal. He’d also get PP2 and PK time as well.

The value might not work out, but I’d love to see Sami’s boy come home.

Yeah I think it's a tough trade because both teams are trying to win now, so neither wants to give up too much. I don't think Carolina gets value in a 1-for-1 trade for one of their RHD, and Toronto doesn't really want to move Kappy for prospects or draft picks. I don't know if there's a 3 team trade there or not, but especially now that Faulk is gone the Canes are not as flush on the right side as they were in June.
Dec. 11, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
Matthews/Nylander are still just as effective without Johnsson. I like him as a player, but it doesn't bode well for him if they do decide to make a move. I wouldn't be shocked if the Leafs don't make any moves. They are playing better and there is still obviously room for more improvement from the currently constructed roster. This season has already been a train wreck, why trade away draft picks (that you're already low on), prospects (that you don't have an abundance of), or roster players at reasonable cap hits for the next 3-4 years. If Dubas/Shanny are in for the long haul, let this season play out, keep your assets, re-stock your prospect pool with a great draft and some college/european free agents, and sign a backup goalie next summer. They'll actually have some salary cap flexibility to address the D core. Just because fans/media expectations are high right now they shouldn't overpay and force a trade for a backup goalie/RHD/Pietroangelo or whoever the new rumour is next week.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll