Forums/Armchair-GM

Discussion What is Galchenyuks true value

Created by: FullSend
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2019
Published: Dec. 13, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We know he’s currently being shopped around right now by the Penguins. Pens fans have a say with what his value is, lookin at some of these ACGM teams. Some think he’s worth a 2nd and a pick, some think he’s an add on for Hall, some think he’s worth a 4th and roster player. What’s his true value? barring his contract + his performance thus far
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$76,274,125$132,500$3,832,500$5,225,875
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 13, 2019 at 5:40 p.m.
What in tarnation
Bottom-6 player and a 2nd rounder is a maximum I'd pay for him...
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 13, 2019 at 5:42 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Wait... hold on... I have some lint in my back pocket
Eli liked this.
Dec. 13, 2019 at 6:19 p.m.
Who adds what?
It's a mind-bogglingly difficult question. He's a 30 goal scorer but he's having such an awful year. Nothing is working for him. And his contract makes it hard for teams to take risks on him. Especially teams without a center as good as Crosby to try to get him over his slump. Pittsburgh is going to have to help him play his way out of it, and then he could be very valuable, again.
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 13, 2019 at 6:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
It's a mind-bogglingly difficult question. He's a 30 goal scorer but he's having such an awful year. Nothing is working for him. And his contract makes it hard for teams to take risks on him. Especially teams without a center as good as Crosby to try to get him over his slump. Pittsburgh is going to have to help him play his way out of it, and then he could be very valuable, again.

Sullivan isn't going to help him play out of it.

Hockey trade, struggling player for struggling player.
I think Vesey is a good target if they can pull it off.
Eli and GMTD liked this.
Dec. 13, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: pharrow

I can't see Buffalo not wanting to do that, if they can afford it.
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 13, 2019 at 6:49 p.m.
Sabres are elite

Vesey and Sobotka at 50% for Galchenyuk, that would pretty much even the cap
Eli and GMTD liked this.
Dec. 13, 2019 at 6:54 p.m.
CGY
I think his value is at an all time low. He’s struggling and is on his 3rd team in as many years...
Dec. 13, 2019 at 7:28 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I think the most he's worth right now without retention and not sending money back is a 3rd round pick, not sure there's many teams with the cap space or wanting to risk even a 3rd on him.
Eli and GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 5:10 a.m.
Banned

I can't either which is why I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Maybe they need to find a way to make cap space first I don't know. Or maybe GMJR thinks he can do better? But it seems like it's worth a shot for both teams. It's not like it's not 2 expiring contracts. And that's really the biggest key to it.
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 5:12 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Skyraider112
Vesey and Sobotka at 50% for Galchenyuk, that would pretty much even the cap

this doesn't work for the penguins.
They would be at 50/50 contracts with at least 1 guy they want to sign out of NCAA.
There in lies the problem that this probably isnt't going t o be more than a 1 for 1. Unless the penguins are moving a nothing of a contract over on a guy they don't really think is going anywhere. I'm not sure they want to do that.
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 8:37 a.m.

Dont think buffalo is trading one of their PK guys who finally found is scoring touch for chuky. I think the only trade buff does is shed a Dman in which the Pens would have to add except if it was bogo then the sabres would add
Dec. 14, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
Eichel Tower
@RoyalBlueSabres
@Pharrow
@Skyraider112
@Eli
I know Galchenyuk has been traded twice now, once for Domi and once for Kessel. That sounds like he has a lot of value to me or at least in Chayka and Rutherford opinions. But his value seems to have been tarnished in Pittsburgh.
So is he only worth a pocket of lint? Or can he be reclaimed? The answer lies in the middle IMO.
Over the last 5 years he and Reinhart have similar starts. Over that time Reinhart has 12 more goals, and about 20 more pts, about the difference this year alone.
As a Sabre’s fan I would want to give up as little as possible and trade shall we say extra players. Buffalo has 5 second pairing RHD, so I would want to send one of them. Buffalo also has at least 4 good possession bottom 6 forwards (Asplund, Girgensons, Larsson, and Okposo). Okposo is out because his salary is too high and he is too injury prone. Asplund is out because he cheap and IMO Betterall would not want to trade him. That leaves Girgensons and Larsson, either of them have more goals than Chucky.
So I am offering Bogosian and Larsson for Galchenyuk. I patiently await your ever constructive criticism.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 11:18 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: GMTD
@RoyalBlueSabres
@Pharrow
@Skyraider112
@Eli
I know Galchenyuk has been traded twice now, once for Domi and once for Kessel. That sounds like he has a lot of value to me or at least in Chayka and Rutherford opinions. But his value seems to have been tarnished in Pittsburgh.
So is he only worth a pocket of lint? Or can he be reclaimed? The answer lies in the middle IMO.
Over the last 5 years he and Reinhart have similar starts. Over that time Reinhart has 12 more goals, and about 20 more pts, about the difference this year alone.
As a Sabre’s fan I would want to give up as little as possible and trade shall we say extra players. Buffalo has 5 second pairing RHD, so I would want to send one of them. Buffalo also has at least 4 good possession bottom 6 forwards (Asplund, Girgensons, Larsson, and Okposo). Okposo is out because his salary is too high and he is too injury prone. Asplund is out because he cheap and IMO Betterall would not want to trade him. That leaves Girgensons and Larsson, either of them have more goals than Chucky.
So I am offering Bogosian and Larsson for Galchenyuk. I patiently await your ever constructive criticism.

The penguins won't fill the contracts to 50/50 they have at least 1 possibly 2 players in the NCAA they want to sign and already have to figure out how to open that 2nd spot up.
I don't know why you wouldn't just do Vesey for him straight up. It's the most common sense move on both teams. Vesey takes up a bit of cap space and is doing basically nothing in BUF.
He like Chucky has a chance to turn it around on a different club.
The last thing the penguins need is another bottom 6 forward. They got more guys who can play that role than they can fit on the roster. Even with 4 forward injuries they are still fielding a decent team in the bottom 6. When those guys are healthy they have more forwards than they know what to do with.
As far as RHD. The penguins have 2 top RHD in Marino and Letang. They also have Schultz there. Why would they want to take on a heavy salary for a guy who would be 3rd pairing at best when the whole team is about to have cap issues. I mean hell they could be riding the bench behind all 3 of those guys.
That makes no sense. Honestly, you can probably move one of those defense man to WPG or TOR or DET. The penguins have about 4 million in bonus money looking like it might be due this year. I don't know that for sure yet, but it does look like it. They are basically pressed to the cap just as much as Buffalo. Kahun looks like he will get his bonus which I think is 20 goals. Marino will get his I think as well. That's the reason the penguins haven't put a single player on LTIR even though Sid, Jugs and Dumo are out 8 weeks and would all qualify. They are trying to keep the cap low for those bonus payments to not kick into next year.
The best trade here is Vesey for Chucky. Both teams win there. They take a gamble on a guy who no longer really fits. Vesey has a whopping 1 more goal than Chucky at 5v5 play but has played more games.
I don't see either player resigning with either team next year. It's a no brainer.
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 11:38 a.m.
The penguins won't fill the contracts to 50/50 they have at least 1 possibly 2 players in the NCAA they want to sign and already have to figure out how to open that 2nd spot up.
I don't know why you wouldn't just do Vesey for him straight up. It's the most common sense move on both teams. Vesey takes up a bit of cap space and is doing basically nothing in BUF.
He like Chucky has a chance to turn it around on a different club.
The last thing the penguins need is another bottom 6 forward. They got more guys who can play that role than they can fit on the roster. Even with 4 forward injuries they are still fielding a decent team in the bottom 6. When those guys are healthy they have more forwards than they know what to do with.
As far as RHD. The penguins have 2 top RHD in Marino and Letang. They also have Schultz there. Why would they want to take on a heavy salary for a guy who would be 3rd pairing at best when the whole team is about to have cap issues. I mean hell they could be riding the bench behind all 3 of those guys.
That makes no sense. Honestly, you can probably move one of those defense man to WPG or TOR or DET. The penguins have about 4 million in bonus money looking like it might be due this year. I don't know that for sure yet, but it does look like it. They are basically pressed to the cap just as much as Buffalo. Kahun looks like he will get his bonus which I think is 20 goals. Marino will get his I think as well. That's the reason the penguins haven't put a single player on LTIR even though Sid, Jugs and Dumo are out 8 weeks and would all qualify. They are trying to keep the cap low for those bonus payments to not kick into next year.
The best trade here is Vesey for Chucky. Both teams win there. They take a gamble on a guy who no longer really fits. Vesey has a whopping 1 more goal than Chucky at 5v5 play but has played more games.
I don't see either player resigning with either team next year. It's a no brainer.

The thing is it's not a win win. Vesey has more value he plays better defense AND has more goals. Chucky might have more prestige and was ince involved in higher end deals but that only matters so much. He is not doing anything now, he is weak in his own zone and not scoring. Coach doesn't like him pushes him far down the line up. So tell me where the value is. why would we trade someone better in both zones and who has been on the team all year and has known chemistry. Maybe they aren't good trading partners but certainly makes no sense to trade vesey for chucky straight up. Pens dont want him. So Sabres would also trade someone they dont want. The trade would be excess pieces on the roster
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: RoyalBlueSabres
The thing is it's not a win win. Vesey has more value he plays better defense AND has more goals. Chucky might have more prestige and was ince involved in higher end deals but that only matters so much. He is not doing anything now, he is weak in his own zone and not scoring. Coach doesn't like him pushes him far down the line up. So tell me where the value is. why would we trade someone better in both zones and who has been on the team all year and has known chemistry. Maybe they aren't good trading partners but certainly makes no sense to trade vesey for chucky straight up. Pens dont want him. So Sabres would also trade someone they dont want. The trade would be excess pieces on the roster

That's just it, Vesey too has slipped down the chart too. Last I saw he's playing on the 3rd line now. Not producing much.
It's clear you like Vesey better than Chucky. That's ok. I'm not going to knock that. But you have 2 struggling guys and there really isn't much of a difference as far as production here.
So you don't want to take a chance on a guy that may turn it around and give you more. OK, that's fine. But that's the whole point of the penguins making a trade. They don't need a bottom 6 forward. Nor do they need another RD. If they flip him it's either to dump cap and get a pick, or to swap struggling players.
You got to give to get. If you don't think Chucky can produce more than Vesey for you right now, the real question I have for you is, why the hell would you trade for him anyway?
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 12:18 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: GMTD
@RoyalBlueSabres
@Pharrow
@Skyraider112
@Eli

Larsson is a passable 3C and a decent penalty killer. I think you're being generous. Could Galchenyuk bounce back? Absolutely. Could he also be done? Sure. No way to predict it. He's clearly got potential to be a 30 goal scorer. Bogo also has the potential to be a #2-3 defenseman. Each is a spare part on their current teams. Throwing in a decent defensive forward means the Penguins win on value. It might not be what they're looking for, but it's very fair.
GMTD liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
Eichel Tower
@RoyalBlueSabres
@Pharrow
@Skyraider112
@Eli I never thought of putting Girgensons at #3C, that could make a lot of sense.
Thanks for your feedback. All excellent comments, just the sort of honest feed back I like getting on this site.
I spoke to the smartest Hockey person I know and he says the Sabres do not need Chucky. So I yield to his sagacious experience.
Eli liked this.
Dec. 14, 2019 at 1:44 p.m.
maybe a 3rd and some random prospect at best right now. Struggling UFA with a decent sized contract isn't a hot commodity, somebody would take a chance on him if they have cap room just cause of potential but right now the best bet is holding onto him til he either turns it around or til he leaves in free agency.
GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll