SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Calgary Flames

What Johnny Gaudreau is worth?

Dec. 13, 2019 at 8:45 p.m.
Johnny Gaudreau is obviously one of the best offensive players in the NHL. He's been an all-star for the past couple of seasons but has really fallen off a cliff this year. I heard rumors that the Flames and its fans were growing restless with Gaudreau, and that made me wonder: what is he worth? I don't want to hear a bs trade proposal, but what is the ballpark for someone like him. 2 first-rounders, a young top-6 guy, and a second-rounder? I've just never seen someone like Gaudreau (young, on a good contract, and arguably elite when at his best) traded in this era of the NHL and was curious what other people thought.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 8:22 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
I'd say right now, you go back and look at the Pacioretty trade to Vegas and right there you have your base line for what Gaudreau is worth.
Anything less than a return like that and Trelivings a loser.

You need to get a high 1st rounder (NOT protected or what's the point)
Perhaps another 1st OR a player taken in the top 10-12 of a recent draft
2nd rounder and really good top 6 player

But as we all know, what we the fans think never seems to be how things turn out in real life.
Flames could easily get "more" or even "less"
Sep. 30, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.
Team is quickly becoming Thachuk's team and Gaudreau is likely the casualty when both need new contracts in a couple years. That said, make no mistake he is skill wise the most talented flame for a generation & is an elite player that 30 other GMs would love to pick up.
If done this summer or early next year, I would see Matt Duchene as a very realistic comparable for: A-age when traded, B-production in the league, C-success (limited) in playoffs, D-world stage pedigree (allstar & internationaly events). Not sure any teams want to team up for a three team swap, that said I could see Gaudreau possibly having more cache around the league then Duchene did.
what Colorado got:
throw in pieces:
-boarderline AHL/backup goalie
-1 C prospect (fringe NHL, AHL only prospect)
-3rd round pick (within 2 years of trade)

Must haves:
-2 B prospect (1 recent late round 1, 1 recent mid-round 2)
-1st + 2nd (current year or 1 year after trade)

Fine if they don't bother with any of the throw in pieces to make deal happen and get better quality back, and would work to replace 2 B prospects with 1 decent NHLer that is still young or hi impact under decent term. Based on assessment 2 1st rounders (not protected) + a second and a good top 6 (or young top 4) would work.

DO NOT just give him away to make a trade though. If GMs don't want to add a consistent top scorer then that is their loss and figure out the financials of fitting him in later down the road.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll