Forums/Armchair-GM

Gutting the team

Created by: Jco5ta5
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 15, 2019
Published: Dec. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First, I feel like when I make these people are against my trades as being lopsided. I always explain my reasons. If you think you don't like my trade or "Carolina laughs and hangs up and loses your number" you're not cute and explain yourself. Don't just come here, take a **** in the comments, and leave your mess to sit there and stink.

Second, I fired Colliton and hired DeBoer. I fired Stan Bowman and I'd like to try to convince George McPhee to be GM but if I cannot then for the rest of this dumpster fire of a season, I'd promote Norm MacIver to interim GM and put a hold on any signings or trades until a formal GM is hired.

Toews to NYI: NYI gets a 1C/2C to go with Barzal and he's got championship experience. I took Wahlstrom and 1st for Toews and added in Ladd for cap reasons but also I felt in taking Ladd, NYI provided us with Bellows.

Gus to VGK: fills a need. self explanatory.

Maatta to WPG: fills a need. Self-explanatory.

Lehner to CAR: a very commonly seen trade. I chose to take TOR's first round pick since it'll likely be in the top 15 and I took NYR 2nd as it'll be a top 2nd round pick. I'm able to do so because there are no conditions on the picks and I am keeping half his salary.

Saad to FLA: I'm not sure if Pysyk is someone FLA wants to get rid of or if Saad is needed there but reuniting Saad with Q is good for everyone. I kept half his salary and I took Pysyk because that makes the money relatively even. I added Koekkoek as a depth D man.

Keith to EDM: Keith is still putting up relatively close to career numbers and playing >20min per game. He is likely $1M overpaid at this point so I retained that much salary. For taking him in his declining but still serviceable state, I took cap dump Brandon Manning and will take Puljujarvi.

Looking ahead to 2020:
Offense: Wahlstrom is on the team. Hawks or Toronto 2020 1st rounder might make the team. Puljujarvi, Kurashev, Bellows, Entwistle, Sikura Barratt, Wedin all get long looks. I'm assuming they resign Nylander since you can't give up on that trade so soon.

Defense: Beaudin, Mitchell, Boqvist, Gilbert all on the team. Regula likely needs a year in AHL but he's a dark horse as well.

Goaltending: Hawks likely resign Crawford to a 1 year $3M contract but if he wants more money or term then Reimer and Lankinen will likely start off as starter-backup with more of a 50-50 split as Lankinen improves and gets confidence throughout the season.

Thoughts?
Trades
CHI
  1. Reimer, James
  2. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (NYR)
CAR
  1. Lehner, Robin ($2,500,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
CHI
  1. 2020 1st round pick (VGK)
CHI
  1. Pysyk, Mark
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (FLA)
FLA
  1. Koekkoek, Slater
  2. Saad, Brandon ($3,000,000 retained)
EDM
  1. Keith, Duncan ($1,000,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$57,883,332$0$7,665,000$23,616,668
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
D
UFA - 1
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$2,733,333$2,733,333
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 15, 2019 at 3:04 p.m.
BiscuitBakesHotTaeks
Would you do Colin miller for Saad?
graderman liked this.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: BiscuitBakesandHotTaeks
Would you do Colin miller for Saad?

Never say never? To be honest don't know too much about him other than he along with most of the VGK team overachieved a little last few years. Would love to have Jokiharju back.... I'm not opposed to the trade. It's possible there may need to be either pick or prospect involved and I'm not sure which way. I just haven't done enough research. Would love to hear what other Hawks ACGMs feel about it.
graderman liked this.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
I hear ya, pal, when you have to try and justify trades to appease your audience. I think Winterpeg may be more interested in Keith (with perhaps up to half retained by the hawks). I highly doubt Vegas, or any other team, gives up a 1st for Gus, TBH. I agree as things currently stand, Toews (and Kaner) may opt to leave this sh:t show. I do not see Chicago going anywhere anytime soon unless Rocky sells the team. Therefore, they may as well start a real rebuild by gutting the entire group.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
The Carolina trade is an overpayment. I think at best Lehner brings the Hawks a 2nd, perhaps a condition 1st, but no team, I think is going to waste their 1st in a deep draft year for rental. Now that being said, Carolina holding 2 1st could burn one, but most likely a Lehner will need to agree to new contract. He really holds his future in his hands and the perceived value Chicago can expect to get.

Why do you say Gus is a fit for Vegas, and how in earth can you can you think he can net the Blackhawks a 1st? His play has been terrible. I see he could bring a 3rd, again maybe conditional 2nd. It is almost worth reevaluating him, and trying to sign him as stop gap for two seasons, while the prospects develop, in the hope his value can be elevated.

At this point, Gus is a risk. When a GM shops a 1st, they pretty while know what they are getting in return. I can’t see any GM giving up a 1st for now.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Never say never? To be honest don't know too much about him other than he along with most of the VGK team overachieved a little last few years. Would love to have Jokiharju back.... I'm not opposed to the trade. It's possible there may need to be either pick or prospect involved and I'm not sure which way. I just haven't done enough research. Would love to hear what other Hawks ACGMs feel about it.

The Hawks really have to get tougher and dedicated to their own end. This starts with coaching philosophy and more sound management. In other words, they are in a black hole far, far away from improvement. In no way a simple fix at this point, sadly for those who care about the on-ice performance. Miller might help but yet another problem is created with the loss of Saad.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: graderman
I hear ya, pal, when you have to try and justify trades to appease your audience. I think Winterpeg may be more interested in Keith (with perhaps up to half retained by the hawks). I highly doubt Vegas, or any other team, gives up a 1st for Gus, TBH. I agree as things currently stand, Toews (and Kaner) may opt to leave this sh:t show. I do not see Chicago going anywhere anytime soon unless Rocky sells the team. Therefore, they may as well start a real rebuild by gutting the entire group.

I mention Gus to VGK as I’ve seen multiple articles state how he would fit well with Schmidt and Gus provides a unique skill set as a PP QB and offensive Dman. VGK offense is potent and he could produce well there. I only mention a first because it’s wishful thinking but he has that unique skill set so Bowman might be able to get a willing GM. I’ve seen a lot of others suggest straight up 1st or a combo of lower picks such and 2nd and 3rd.
graderman liked this.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Hawksince71
The Carolina trade is an overpayment. I think at best Lehner brings the Hawks a 2nd, perhaps a condition 1st, but no team, I think is going to waste their 1st in a deep draft year for rental. Now that being said, Carolina holding 2 1st could burn one, but most likely a Lehner will need to agree to new contract. He really holds his future in his hands and the perceived value Chicago can expect to get.

Why do you say Gus is a fit for Vegas, and how in earth can you can you think he can net the Blackhawks a 1st? His play has been terrible. I see he could bring a 3rd, again maybe conditional 2nd. It is almost worth reevaluating him, and trying to sign him as stop gap for two seasons, while the prospects develop, in the hope his value can be elevated.

At this point, Gus is a risk. When a GM shops a 1st, they pretty while know what they are getting in return. I can’t see any GM giving up a 1st for now.

I can see how it’s overpayment. It also may be bold to ask for TOR and NYR picks. I’d imagine the way things are looking Carolina is gonna hold that TOR pick. Maybe they send their first or both seconds?

I addressed the Gus value above in another reply.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 6:09 p.m.
I mention Gus to VGK as I’ve seen multiple articles state how he would fit well with Schmidt and Gus provides a unique skill set as a PP QB and offensive Dman. VGK offense is potent and he could produce well there. I only mention a first because it’s wishful thinking but he has that unique skill set so Bowman might be able to get a willing GM. I’ve seen a lot of others suggest straight up 1st or a combo of lower picks such and 2nd and 3rd.

You betcha!
Dec. 15, 2019 at 11:25 p.m.
The toews trade is hard to fathom purely from the fact he is the captain of the team and actually working his socks off. I think the franchise also has high hopes for Dach moving forward, though I understand a lot of the fans on here don't see much. I think he needs more time before a true judgement can be made. I do agree that probably another year in Juniors would have been good but I do not see him day to day so couldn't make the call. Back to the trade, I think NYI want to pair him with Barzal in the future so don't think we would be able to make that work.

I like the CAR trade though may have to drop the 2nd. maybe we could get a 3rd.

If Gus can have offensive output we may still be able to get a 1st but with a supposed deep draft I'm not sure we get it so easily. I would happily take our 2nd back from MTL

Maatta trade works.

I don't think we trade Saad for that, we could potentially get a 1st for him this draft if we are going to move him.

Keith I don't think leaves but if he does I'm not a big fan of pool party.
pinslack liked this.
Dec. 15, 2019 at 11:43 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Edited Dec. 15, 2019 at 11:48 p.m.
Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
The toews trade is hard to fathom purely from the fact he is the captain of the team and actually working his socks off. I think the franchise also has high hopes for Dach moving forward, though I understand a lot of the fans on here don't see much. I think he needs more time before a true judgement can be made. I do agree that probably another year in Juniors would have been good but I do not see him day to day so couldn't make the call. Back to the trade, I think NYI want to pair him with Barzal in the future so don't think we would be able to make that work.

I like the CAR trade though may have to drop the 2nd. maybe we could get a 3rd.

If Gus can have offensive output we may still be able to get a 1st but with a supposed deep draft I'm not sure we get it so easily. I would happily take our 2nd back from MTL

Maatta trade works.

I don't think we trade Saad for that, we could potentially get a 1st for him this draft if we are going to move him.

Keith I don't think leaves but if he does I'm not a big fan of pool party.

Keith and Toews are institutions. Of course they won’t be traded. This is just wishful thinking. And I truly don’t think Saad to FLA works well plus they’re not in a playoff position so not sure they’ll be buying.

I added in Pool Party because Keith is likely not as attractive of a trade piece and figured the Hawks love projects.

I think I overreached on the Lehner trade.

Honestly if NYI offered this for Toews I’d have to consider it because you’re getting 3 first rounders and Wahlstrom is going to be a great player.
Dec. 16, 2019 at 12:41 a.m.
Keith and Toews are institutions. Of course they won’t be traded. This is just wishful thinking. And I truly don’t think Saad to FLA works well plus they’re not in a playoff position so not sure they’ll be buying.

I added in Pool Party because Keith is likely not as attractive of a trade piece and figured the Hawks love projects.

I think I overreached on the Lehner trade.

Honestly if NYI offered this for Toews I’d have to consider it because you’re getting 3 first rounders and Wahlstrom is going to be a great player.

NYI are travelling pretty well so the 1st is likely to be quite late, I haven't seen a great deal of bellows (is there a possibility he is a career AHL player?) and Ladd is the cap dump. Wahlstrom I think will turn out to be quite a good player mind you so it would be up for consideration but I think other things would have to happen as I wouldn't want to lose Toews and he is the only one of the old guard that leaves. He actually still puts in a shift when he is on the ice and grinds away, has been getting some production lately too.
Dec. 16, 2019 at 11:32 a.m.

Gus will not cost Vegas a 1st. There is still plenty of time before the TDL for Gus to pad his stats. He was a force against the Wild yesterday. Great defensive game. He got the skills. He just got to be more consistent. I think at best for Chicago to get a 1st it would be a conditional pick. The team who acquires Gus makes the conference finals.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll