Forums/Armchair-GM

First year player analysis and comparison

Created by: WhatNowDiscussion
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 17, 2019
Published: Dec. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Why the hawks are rushing the development of their players is beside me.

Dach: He looked good through his first 15 games but has defiantly looked out of place since then. Why not send him back to juniors and let him develop the skills he knows he is lacking after playing in the NHL. It's not like he tore it up last season in juniors and the contract year is already wasted. What was even more surprising is that they did not lend him to Canada for the World Juniors.

Boqvist: He is not ready for the NHL especially with the team the way it is this season. He needs to be paired with a reliable, veteran D-man and the hawks only have one of those and he's injured. He's not consistent enough at the AHL level so why put him in a limited role where he will be even more inconsistent. Look at Bouchard in Edmonton. He got his 7 game trial, went to juniors and had a great season, then is playing very well in the AHL getting consistent playing minutes. That's how it should be done. Call up McCoshen or play Koekkoek instead.

Gilbert: Watching him is basically like watching an inexperienced Seabrook. Now that may seem like a bad thing but it's not. Seabrook is still a very good defender who can block lots of shots and is physical all over the ice. The reason Seabs gets so much hate is because of the insane cap hit. If Seabs had a $3 million cap hit, people would not be so adamant about getting rid of him. Anyways, Gilbert is physical, defensively responsible, 23 years old, and has a good shot from the point. Through 10 games, Gilbert has a whopping 44 hits, 12 blocks, and only 2 giveaways. To compare, Seabrook has 52 hits, 61 blocks, and 27 giveaways in 32 games. If we were to adjust Gilbert's stats to have played the same amount of games as Seabs, Gilbert would have 140 hits, 38 blocks, and 6 turnovers in 32 games.

Nylander: Trade him. He doesn't fit into the Hawks scheme. He's not fast, he has no defensive upside, and his offense is inconsistent. He needs to be surrounded by players who can score. Hence why I chose to send him to Florida. Look at Acciari last night who scored a Hat Trick playing with Huberdeau and Barkov. Hawks have one true scoring line and they need to stay together so Nylander has no one to play with.

Sikura: Either play him with consistent NHL minutes and hope for the best or trade him. He obviously can put up points in the AHL so its a matter of finding the right fit for him in the NHL. Defensively he's great recording 26 takeaways and only 7 giveaways in 40 career NHL games.

Kubalik: Defiantly one of my favorite players on the Hawks as he is a coaches dream when it comes to responsible players. He has a great shot and is not afraid to use it as shown by his 69 shots on goal. He is able to be physical (48 hits) without taking penalties (8 PIM). He has offensive upside. Watching him, he remind me a lot of Brandon Saad.

Koekkoek: I know he is not a prospect but this man is severely underrated and doesn't get the attention he deserves. What do you get if you take away Keith's offensive abilities? Short answer, Slater Koekkoek. Watching him play this season over his 14 games, you can see he is fast, agile, physical (26 hits), defensively responsible (15 blocks), and is not afraid to shoot (11 shots). He can easily be a solid top 6 defender.

Highmore: Another undersized two-way player with limited offensive upside, Highmore is slow and small yet very physical and plays well in the defensive zone.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$81,500,000$70,146,686$0$7,665,000$11,353,314
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 17, 2019 at 2:32 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Thoughts on your thoughts

Dach: I think a lot of people confuse scoring points with being successful, now don’t get me wrong, scoring points is a huge part of this whole thing but it shouldn’t be the end all be all for an 18 year old kid. I don’t think he’s looked out of place, more often than not I admire his bursts of speed through the ice, his good defensive play in the bottom six, and his confidence to try skills moves every game. He has not been given a fair look in a top 6 role, and I think he is doing fine with what he has. Hopefully he is learning more about proper defense in his current role, and that will help him going forward in the season.

Boqvist: Boqvist hasn’t been very noticeable in these last couple games, but he aught to be in the NHL for a little but. I like him on a pairing with Matta, and I think sheltering him ths year will be best for his development. I don’t have much else to say, but we used his first year already so he’s here to stay.

Gilbert: I really like Gilbert and I hope he can stay in the lineup.

Nylander: As a Nylander truther I must say that your assessment of Nylander is wrong. Nylander is extremely fast (when he wants to be) and has defensive upside (he made many good defensive plays earlier in the year). I think Nylanders problem has been *wait for it* work ethic. When he was working hard every shift he was doing extremely well for us, but probably not scoring at the clip everyone expected him to. When we put him with Toews and Saad I think we broke his confidence and that lead to him not working as hard. I’ve been saying for a long time that Toews and Saad are North South players, while Nylander probably prefers the East west side of things. That line was not a good fit, and he seemed disoriented when playing with them. Nylander is a skill guy in the way that is incompatible with 19 and 20. I hope playing a skill game with Kane should help him get some confidence back, and I think everyone who is screaming for him to be traded is short sighted. Going down to the AHL might be best for him right now, but I think we should let him play with some skill guys first before we judge him.

Sikura: he played really good with Saad and Toews last year. It’s worth giving that a look at some point this year. He’s not going to be the offensive player we thought he was going to be, but he can carve out a bottom 6 niche somewhere.

Kubalik: Great player, finally getting an opportunity on the top line where he deserves to be. Agree totally

Koekkoek: He is a serviceable 7th Dman, I don’t agree with the Duncan Keith comparison. He could work on his positioning more.

Highmore: We probably have enough of this archetype of player, but Highmore works hard and he wears 36 so I love him.
Dec. 17, 2019 at 2:35 p.m.
The fact that you are saying to trade Nylander but think Gilbert has the upside of a Seabrook is laughable. You must be drinking the barstool Chief punch. Hes a good 7th defenseman on a contending team, and once Regula, Beaudin, and Vlasic get to the NHL, Gilbert doesn't fit anywhere. Nylander, on the other hand, has the highest upside of any of our young forwards and at 21 years old, he is still very young and has plenty of time to learn how to play defense.
Dec. 17, 2019 at 2:38 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: SlickWilly
The fact that you are saying to trade Nylander but think Gilbert has the upside of a Seabrook is laughable. You must be drinking the barstool Chief punch. Hes a good 7th defenseman on a contending team, and once Regula, Beaudin, and Vlasic get to the NHL, Gilbert doesn't fit anywhere. Nylander, on the other hand, has the highest upside of any of our young forwards and at 21 years old, he is still very young and has plenty of time to learn how to play defense.

I’m not going to lie, I really like the pairing of Gilbert and Boqvist at the prospect tourney, in at AHL, and I’ve liked Gilbert in the NHL. I think there is more there. Another Dunc and Seabs is an unrealistic dream, but Gilbert has more than 7th Dman potential in the future.
Dec. 17, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
I’m not going to lie, I really like the pairing of Gilbert and Boqvist at the prospect tourney, in at AHL, and I’ve liked Gilbert in the NHL. I think there is more there. Another Dunc and Seabs is an unrealistic dream, but Gilbert has more than 7th Dman potential in the future.

We've seen what happens to Seabrook in his own zone the past couple of years. They just skate laps around him. Gilbert is that but without the offensive upside that Seabrook once had, and with the game only getting faster he will be eaten alive
Dec. 17, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
44 Foundation
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Thoughts on your thoughts

Dach: I think a lot of people confuse scoring points with being successful, now don’t get me wrong, scoring points is a huge part of this whole thing but it shouldn’t be the end all be all for an 18 year old kid. I don’t think he’s looked out of place, more often than not I admire his bursts of speed through the ice, his good defensive play in the bottom six, and his confidence to try skills moves every game. He has not been given a fair look in a top 6 role, and I think he is doing fine with what he has. Hopefully he is learning more about proper defense in his current role, and that will help him going forward in the season.

Boqvist: Boqvist hasn’t been very noticeable in these last couple games, but he aught to be in the NHL for a little but. I like him on a pairing with Matta, and I think sheltering him ths year will be best for his development. I don’t have much else to say, but we used his first year already so he’s here to stay.

Gilbert: I really like Gilbert and I hope he can stay in the lineup.

Nylander: As a Nylander truther I must say that your assessment of Nylander is wrong. Nylander is extremely fast (when he wants to be) and has defensive upside (he made many good defensive plays earlier in the year). I think Nylanders problem has been *wait for it* work ethic. When he was working hard every shift he was doing extremely well for us, but probably not scoring at the clip everyone expected him to. When we put him with Toews and Saad I think we broke his confidence and that lead to him not working as hard. I’ve been saying for a long time that Toews and Saad are North South players, while Nylander probably prefers the East west side of things. That line was not a good fit, and he seemed disoriented when playing with them. Nylander is a skill guy in the way that is incompatible with 19 and 20. I hope playing a skill game with Kane should help him get some confidence back, and I think everyone who is screaming for him to be traded is short sighted. Going down to the AHL might be best for him right now, but I think we should let him play with some skill guys first before we judge him.

Sikura: he played really good with Saad and Toews last year. It’s worth giving that a look at some point this year. He’s not going to be the offensive player we thought he was going to be, but he can carve out a bottom 6 niche somewhere.

Kubalik: Great player, finally getting an opportunity on the top line where he deserves to be. Agree totally

Koekkoek: He is a serviceable 7th Dman, I don’t agree with the Duncan Keith comparison. He could work on his positioning more.

Highmore: We probably have enough of this archetype of player, but Highmore works hard and he wears 36 so I love him.

Quoting: SlickWilly

Seabrook has no offensive upside right now and that's who I'm comparing Gilbert to. The seabrook of now. not seabs in his prime. Nylander has skill, no doubt, but he doesn't fit in the hawks roster. That's why trading him for a player that does would be more beneficial for both sides. For awhile Sikura was the talk of the town just like Nylander is now. Sikura's value has only gone down since his stint with the hawks. Hawks cannot afford high risk high reward players at this time which is what Nylander is. In terms of Regula, Beaudin, and Vlasic, all of them are far from NHL ready. Regula still hasn't played a pro game and you won't see him for at least another 2 or 3 years. Beaudin needs to find his playing style hence why the hawks have recalled, Boqvist, McCoshen, and Gilbert over him. Beaudin has at least another season in the minors, maybe with a few call ups, before he see's consistent ice time. Vlasic is struggling at the collegiate level defensively. He really has very little offensive upside. Look at his plus minus or any advance stats on him. It will be at least 4 or more years before he makes it to the pros. If anything, Mitchell would be the closest to NHL ready then Beaudin, Galvas, Regula, Vlasic.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll