Forums/Armchair-GM

Panik trade

Created by: Capitalfail67
Initial Creation Date: Dec 17, 2019
Published: Dec 17, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Team Explanation
Fresh start could help both players. Flames also traded Neal for lucic bc of struggling play.
Trades
WSH
  1. Bennett, Sam
  2. Valiev, Rinat
Additional Details:
Oshie Troy B 2.0
CGY
  1. Pánik, Richard
  2. Johansen, Lucas
  3. 2020 4th round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Conditional 4th in Bennett can score more than 25 points.
Buried
  • Pheonix Copley: $25,000 ($1,100,000)
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
WSH
COL
WSH
ARI
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
VGK
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$82,164,294$1,150,000$632,500-$664,294
Left WingCenterRight Wing
WSH
Ovechkin, Alex
$9,538,462
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
WSH
Kuznetsov, Evgeny
$7,800,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
WSH
Oshie, T.J.
$5,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 6
WSH
Vrána, Jakub
$3,350,000
LW
RFA - 2
WSH
Bäckström, Nicklas
$6,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
WSH
Wilson, Tom
$5,166,666
RW
UFA - 5
WSH
Hagelin, Carl
$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 4
WSH
Eller, Lars
$3,500,000
C
UFA - 4
CGY
Bennett, Sam
$2,550,000
RW, C, LW
RFA - 2
WSH
Hathaway, Garnet
$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
WSH
Dowd, Nic
$750,000
C
UFA - 3
WSH
Leipsic, Brendan
$700,000
LW
RFA - 1
WSH
Boyd, Travis
$800,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
WSH
Orlov, Dmitry
$5,100,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
WSH
Carlson, John
$8,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
WSH
Holtby, Braden
$6,100,000
G
NTC
UFA - 1
WSH
Kempný, Michal
$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
WSH
Gudas, Radko
$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
WSH
Samsonov, Ilya
$925,000
G
RFA - 2
WSH
Siegenthaler, Jonas
$714,166
RD
RFA - 1
WSH
Jensen, Nick
$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
WSH
Djoos, Christian
$1,250,000
LD
RFA - 1
CGY
Valiev, Rinat
$700,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:33
Vrana cookie?
If they're willing to swap a Bennett for a Panik, I'd do it if I were the Caps. Less cap hit, younger and more upside. Something tells me they wouldn't though. Be nice for the Caps to get a depth RD instead of a LD too, since we have so many LD.
Eli and Capitalfail67 liked this.
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:40
Who adds what?
Quoting: Kylonetic8
If they're willing to swap a Bennett for a Panik, I'd do it if I were the Caps. Less cap hit, younger and more upside. Something tells me they wouldn't though. Be nice for the Caps to get a depth RD instead of a LD too, since we have so many LD.

I think you're right on the value, but Johansen, as a late first pick defenseman, coming along okay when he's healthy, is worth half as much as Bennett, on his own. Panik shuts guys down, kills penalties, and has a recent 44 point season. Calgary guys saw him more, out in Chicago and Arizona, so they know what kind of tenacity he brings when he's on his game. I feel like the Caps are losing this trade on value, but like you said, they have so many good LHD prospects that trading one for a young RHD and center makes it worthwhile. Might be better to keep Panik around and try him in a top six role to get him some tap ins, but for Bennett, why worry?
Capitalfail67 and Kylonetic8 liked this.
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:55
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Kylonetic8

That make sense about the rhd. I was just looking for a prospect with similar experience and age.
Kylonetic8 and Eli liked this.
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:56
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Eli
I think you're right on the value, but Johansen, as a late first pick defenseman, coming along okay when he's healthy, is worth half as much as Bennett, on his own. Panik shuts guys down, kills penalties, and has a recent 44 point season. Calgary guys saw him more, out in Chicago and Arizona, so they know what kind of tenacity he brings when he's on his game. I feel like the Caps are losing this trade on value, but like you said, they have so many good LHD prospects that trading one for a young RHD and center makes it worthwhile. Might be better to keep Panik around and try him in a top six role to get him some tap ins, but for Bennett, why worry?

Bennett has more grit to his game and I think having 2 shutdown guys on one line is great for 1-0 games but not great for 0-1 games.
Eli liked this.
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:57
Might be better to keep Panik around and try him in a top six role to get him some tap ins, but for Bennett, why worry?[/quote]

I can't see Panik get anywhere near the Top 6 anytime at all as they are rolling and locked in. The thing that worries me about him sometimes is he gets easily knocked off the puck sometimes like Bura did. I remember seeing him in Arizona and didn't think that. I wonder if he is mentally struggling with the adjustment(s) still and it's effecting his game.
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:00
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: markykins1
Might be better to keep Panik around and try him in a top six role to get him some tap ins, but for Bennett, why worry?

I can't see Panik get anywhere near the Top 6 anytime at all as they are rolling and locked in. The thing that worries me about him sometimes is he gets easily knocked off the puck sometimes like Bura did. I remember seeing him in Arizona and didn't think that. I wonder if he is mentally struggling with the adjustment(s) still and it's effecting his game.[/quote]

Sometimes players don’t fit right for one reason or another. Pánik is a solid player but he’s not fitting in the way I hoped he would. I agree with all your points. I personally would rather put Boyd in a top 6 position than Pánik.
Kylonetic8 and Eli liked this.
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:11
Vrana cookie?
Quoting: markykins1
I can't see Panik get anywhere near the Top 6 anytime at all as they are rolling and locked in. The thing that worries me about him sometimes is he gets easily knocked off the puck sometimes like Bura did. I remember seeing him in Arizona and didn't think that. I wonder if he is mentally struggling with the adjustment(s) still and it's effecting his game.

I watched him some in Arizona, and I remember him standing out clearly to me as a tough 2 way forward that would crash the net and snipe some shots here and there. With the Caps, he's looked nothing like he did with Arizona. It's weird...but he really just hasn't fit in here at all. No chemistry with Hags and Eller at all. It's unfortunate, but it seems like the best bet would be to find that next Connolly, and Bennett might be it. Panik isn't looking like he's it.
markykins1 liked this.
Dec 17, 2019 at 6:15
Who adds what?
Quoting: Capitalfail67

Sometimes players don’t fit right for one reason or another. Pánik is a solid player but he’s not fitting in the way I hoped he would. I agree with all your points. I personally would rather put Boyd in a top 6 position than Pánik.[/quote]

What if, when the team has a three goal lead, they roll four somewhat equal lines and try to give their shutdown guys a few chances to get on the board?

Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Panik
Boyd, Backstrom, Oshie
Vrana Eller, Hathaway
Hagelin Dowd Wilson?

Burakovsky found his niche in Colorado. That comparison is not insulting anymore, at all. He's doing great, and the Caps are thankfully doing great, too.
Dec 18, 2019 at 3:36
I like this
Capitalfail67 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Remove Option
Submit Poll