Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am just messing around here.
Trades
TOR
  1. Lehner, Robin ($1,800,000 retained)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (CHI)
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher ($222,500 retained)
VAN
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$77,649,643$0$70,000$3,850,357
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,227,500$4,227,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$400,000-$400,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:07 p.m.
Hmm I think the values and reasoning just dont make sense for all parties involved here.

Leafs losing Kap for 10-15 games or so of Lehner and a 3rd round pick??? Tanev with retention could land a late 2nd rounder pretty easily, if they were interested in getting rid of Tanev they'd have no reason to take Ceci.

Out of the box thinking but just a little too farfetched.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: F50marco
Hmm I think the values and reasoning just dont make sense for all parties involved here.

Leafs losing Kap for 10-15 games or so of Lehner and a 3rd round pick??? Tanev with retention could land a late 2nd rounder pretty easily, if they were interested in getting rid of Tanev they'd have no reason to take Ceci.

To be honest, I think after getting Lehner, there isn't anything else you really need. Its a bit of a preemptive strike against other teams in their conference who need a goalie. I'd rather have a sick tandem than see Carolina come in and get an actual top goalie. That would make them much better for the playoffs. If he's backup in TO (he'd tandem in the regular season to keep Andersen fresh) he'll play another 20 games or so.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
To be honest, I think after getting Lehner, there isn't anything else you really need. Its a bit of a preemptive strike against other teams in their conference who need a goalie. I'd rather have a sick tandem than see Carolina come in and get an actual top goalie. That would make them much better for the playoffs. If he's backup in TO (he'd tandem in the regular season to keep Andersen fresh) he'll play another 20 games or so.

Why though? The whole point would be to win in the playoffs where you going to run with Andersen the whole way anyway.... It should help you get into the playoffs but once there you can only dress 1 goalie at a time. I think you'd be hurting yourself more then stopping anyone else from getting that much better.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
Banned
Why though? The whole point would be to win in the playoffs where you going to run with Andersen the whole way anyway.... It should help you get into the playoffs but once there you can only dress 1 goalie at a time. I think you'd be hurting yourself more then stopping anyone else from getting that much better.

Lehner would be an awfully good insurance policy if Andersen falters or gets hurt. Plus they'd be sick the rest of the regular season. Currently with Andersen they are on a 50 win pace or something like that. Getting only 1 point from the backup has been a huge reason why TO is still in the thick of the playoff race and not sitting comfortably in 2nd.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:25 p.m.
Lehner would be an awfully good insurance policy if Andersen falters or gets hurt. Plus they'd be sick the rest of the regular season. Currently with Andersen they are on a 50 win pace or something like that. Getting only 1 point from the backup has been a huge reason why TO is still in the thick of the playoff race and not sitting comfortably in 2nd.

I get that but you are talking about regular season.... in the playoffs having two great goalies is nice but generally not that advantageous. Remember your getting a great backup who won't play many games for you from now till the end of the playoffs (barring Andersen getting hurt) but you'll also be down Kapanen.... In the games Lehner is NOT playing, Leafs are a worse team then they were prior.

This trade only helps you in the handful of games Lehner plays and if Andersen gets injured in the playoffs. Not too mention putting all your eggs in this years basket. Kapanen is a log term asset. Lehner is guaranteed to be resigned.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:31 p.m.
Banned
I get that but you are talking about regular season.... in the playoffs having two great goalies is nice but generally not that advantageous. Remember your getting a great backup who won't play many games for you from now till the end of the playoffs (barring Andersen getting hurt) but you'll also be down Kapanen.... In the games Lehner is NOT playing, Leafs are a worse team then they were prior.

This trade only helps you in the handful of games Lehner plays and if Andersen gets injured in the playoffs. Not too mention putting all your eggs in this years basket. Kapanen is a log term asset. Lehner is guaranteed to be resigned.

I am actually not so sure that is the case, with how good guys like Engval, Moore and Mikheyev have played, I am not sure that Johnsson or Kapanen are really that necessary. It's often talked about how TO has to much depth up front and at some point they may have to move a high value forward for help elsewhere. A lot of non Leaf fans look at Nylander as the guy they would want to see moved for pennies on the dollar but in my mind, one of Kap or Johnsson make way more sense. They are terrific players but far below Nylander and with some of the other guys coming up, are easily replaceable. If Kapanen missed time, I don't think anyone really notices. With Johnsson out, its hasn't really been much of an impact at all. Why not move one and keep a rival form getting a major upgrade in net and fix our backup position as well. Its a big price to pay, I agree, but if it happened, I think it hurts other teams that need goaltending.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
I am actually not so sure that is the case, with how good guys like Engval, Moore and Mikheyev have played, I am not sure that Johnsson or Kapanen are really that necessary. It's often talked about how TO has to much depth up front and at some point they may have to move a high value forward for help elsewhere. A lot of non Leaf fans look at Nylander as the guy they would want to see moved for pennies on the dollar but in my mind, one of Kap or Johnsson make way more sense. They are terrific players but far below Nylander and with some of the other guys coming up, are easily replaceable. If Kapanen missed time, I don't think anyone really notices. With Johnsson out, its hasn't really been much of an impact at all. Why not move one and keep a rival form getting a major upgrade in net and fix our backup position as well. Its a big price to pay, I agree, but if it happened, I think it hurts other teams that need goaltending.

What teams that are threats to the Leafs are that in need of goaltending???? Carolina did just fine without Lehner last year and don't look to be out of sorts this year.

I think you are creating a bigger problem in your head than there actually is among other teams.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Lehner is a great idea but not at that price. Ceci and a 2nd for Lehner, maybe.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:45 p.m.
Banned
What teams that are threats to the Leafs are that in need of goaltending???? Carolina did just fine without Lehner last year and don't look to be out of sorts this year.

I think you are creating a bigger problem in your head than there actually is among other teams.

Carolina is a decent team but last year in the playoffs was a mirage. They played against the worst 5v5 team in the playoffs in round one and as long as they stayed out of the box they had a great chance of winning, which they did in the last few games. Then they took on the Islanders who didn't really have any business being in the 2nd round and swept them. Then against Boston, they were completely outclassed. Carolina is a team who's system does great things for them but if they don't get great goaltending come playoff time their stars just aren't deep enough to beat deep teams. With an all-star goalie that could change.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Goulet
Lehner is a great idea but not at that price. Ceci and a 2nd for Lehner, maybe.

Ceci sucks man, he isn't going to be sought after. But hey if that was all it took I'd do it too.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
Carolina is a decent team but last year in the playoffs was a mirage. They played against the worst 5v5 team in the playoffs in round one and as long as they stayed out of the box they had a great chance of winning, which they did in the last few games. Then they took on the Islanders who didn't really have any business being in the 2nd round and swept them. Then against Boston, they were completely outclassed. Carolina is a team who's system does great things for them but if they don't get great goaltending come playoff time their stars just aren't deep enough to beat deep teams. With an all-star goalie that could change.

Excuses. Excuses. Always Toronto, never for other teams........................ I have a feeling there is no point continuing this conversation.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:56 p.m.
Banned
Excuses. Excuses. Always Toronto, never for other teams........................ I have a feeling there is no point continuing this conversation.

I didn't mention TO in there only Carolina.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 5:15 p.m.
I didn't mention TO in there only Carolina.

Lol again besides the point but whatever.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.
Banned
Lol again besides the point but whatever.

What was the point? This sort of thing has been done before. Like when Washington brought in Shattenkirk. Part of why they wanted to make the move was because it meant their rivals couldn't get him. Getting Lehner fixes TO's backup situation in a massive way, and it also prevents them from having to potentially take him on further in the season. Its a bold plan but its not the worst idea.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 5:23 p.m.
What was the point? This sort of thing has been done before. Like when Washington brought in Shattenkirk. Part of why they wanted to make the move was because it meant their rivals couldn't get him. Getting Lehner fixes TO's backup situation in a massive way, and it also prevents them from having to potentially take him on further in the season. Its a bold plan but its not the worst idea.

The idea of getting a player so that other teams don't isn't at question here. The benefit of doing it is.

Did Shattenkirk really change anything for Washington? The presidents trophy caps still went out in the second round and the Pens still won despite not getting Shat....

The ideology is fine even though i don't agree with it but Washinton didn't lose anything tangible off their roster in that trade AND Shattenkrik played every game for Washington that he was eligible for.

Toronto not only loses Kapanen but only gets to use Lehner when Andersen isn't being used. The difference is quite high here between the two scenarios.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 5:27 p.m.
Banned
The idea of getting a player so that other teams don't isn't at question here. The benefit of doing it is.

Did Shattenkirk really change anything for Washington? The presidents trophy caps still went out in the second round and the Pens still won despite not getting Shat....

The ideology is fine even though i don't agree with it but Washinton didn't lose anything tangible off their roster in that trade AND Shattenkrik played every game for Washington that he was eligible for.

Toronto not only loses Kapanen but only gets to use Lehner when Andersen isn't being used. The difference is quite high here between the two scenarios.

Very correct, and of course this move wouldn't mean the Leafs are winning the cup, I am mainly just messing around and trying to think of things differently.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
Very correct, and of course this move wouldn't mean the Leafs are winning the cup, I am mainly just messing around and trying to think of things differently.

Hence my last sentence of original comment wink

Dec. 19, 2019 at 2:22 p.m.
Ceci sucks man, he isn't going to be sought after. But hey if that was all it took I'd do it too.

He's just salary and a body heading in the other direction. The pick is all that matters and goalies seldom get high picks especially as a rental.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Goulet
He's just salary and a body heading in the other direction. The pick is all that matters and goalies seldom get high picks especially as a rental.

I just think you need to add a little to convince them to take Ceci
Dec. 20, 2019 at 12:02 p.m.
I just think you need to add a little to convince them to take Ceci

With Lehner's cap hit, few teams can take him without salary going the other way and even fewer teams need him. The idea of having to pay to rid themselves of Ceci made sense in the summer but now that teams are beginning to think about selling, expiring contracts like Cecil's are irrelevant or in some cases welcomed for the tank.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll