Forums/Armchair-GM

Sorokin to LA

Created by: user
Team: 2019-20 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 18, 2019
Published: Dec. 18, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
According to Elliotte Freidman, Ilya Sorokin may consider staying in the KHL. Given the Isles’ needs for offense, I come up with a decent trade proposal for Sorokin. Feel free to make your own suggestions, I won’t judge.
Trades
NYI
LAK
  1. Hickey, Thomas
  2. Sorokin, Ilya [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (NYI)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$76,836,666$0$1,252,500$4,663,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, C
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
KFTW
This is like dumping Sorokin, the Isles would never do this. Package Sorokin, picks etc to land a top 6 forward with term. So not Pamieri etc, someone like an Ehlers, Tuch, etc
joshelkin and user liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: csick
This is like dumping Sorokin, the Isles would never do this. Package Sorokin, picks etc to land a top 6 forward with term. So not Pamieri etc, someone like an Ehlers, Tuch, etc

So maybe a Sorokin trade to Vegas? Someone to take over when Marc Andre Fleury retires? Interesting.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
LGI
The report isn't that he might stay in the KHL. It is that he may try and force a trade to a team with an easier path to becoming a starting goalie.
user and F50marco liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Isles7
Top KHL insider said he wasn’t considering an extension 5 days ago. Friedman’s post is speculation from his Russian sources - sorokin will be an islander.
user and niko liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: niko
The report isn't that he might stay in the KHL. It is that he may try and force a trade to a team with an easier path to becoming a starting goalie.

I don’t buy it. It’s a conflicting report and doesn’t fit the narrative Over the last 2 years
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
LGI
Quoting: Isles777
I don’t buy it. It’s a conflicting report and doesn’t fit the narrative Over the last 2 years

I'm not buying it either. I trust Igor over anyone when it comes to KHL news
Dec. 18, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
The Kings don't need another NHL ready goaltender. They already have a logjam at goaltender with Quick, Campbell, and Petersen all under contract until 2022, with none of them being waiver exempt next season. They will either need to ship out one of Quick or Campbell, or carry 3 goaltenders next season. I doubt Sorokin will agree to come over to North America if he's going to have to play in the AHL for the next two seasons.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
CHI NYI

Zucker perhaps?
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Zucker perhaps?

If it is to be Zucker, Komarov would have to be going as well
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: tkecanuck341
The Kings don't need another NHL ready goaltender. They already have a logjam at goaltender with Quick, Campbell, and Petersen all under contract until 2022, with none of them being waiver exempt next season. They will either need to ship out one of Quick or Campbell, or carry 3 goaltenders next season. I doubt Sorokin will agree to come over to North America if he's going to have to play in the AHL for the next two seasons.

Campbell will go, I think. Quick is too old and is declining. At this point, I don’t think a team would take a chance on his salary. Keep quick around to be the mentor to Sorokin and Petersen.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: burg
Campbell will go, I think. Quick is too old and is declining. At this point, I don’t think a team would take a chance on his salary. Keep quick around to be the mentor to Sorokin and Petersen.

I honestly think the Kings are going to carry 3 goaltenders next season. They want to be able to expose both Quick and Campbell at the expansion draft and hope Seattle bites on one of the two instead of a promising young defenseman like Roy or Clague.

Additionally, Quick had a terrible start to the season, but has been exceptional in the past 6 weeks and has stolen several games. He is the primary reason they were able to come away with a win last night in Boston. If he continues his current level of play, I think there are several teams that would be willing to bite as long as the Kings were willing to retain a bit of salary (25% or so).
Kings989 liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Edmonton?
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
CHI NYI
If it is to be Zucker, Komarov would have to be going as well

Honestly, I’m not in favor of trading Sorokin. I think we just move on from Greiss and stick Ilya in the rotation with Varly but if we had to, Minnesota might not be a bad team to send him to. Dubnyk is regressing quickly and their recent success has been without him (although Zucker has been a large part of that too). He could end up the starter in Minnesota pretty quickly
user liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
I honestly think
I honestly think the Kings are going to carry 3 goaltenders next season. They want to be able to expose both Quick and Campbell at the expansion draft and hope Seattle bites on one of the two instead of a promising young defenseman like Roy or Clague.

Additionally, Quick had a terrible start to the season, but has been exceptional in the past 6 weeks and has stolen several games. He is the primary reason they were able to come away with a win last night in Boston. If he continues his current level of play, I think there are several teams that would be willing to bite as long as the Kings were willing to retain a bit of salary (25% or so).

That’s not a bad idea actually. Hadn’t thought of carrying 3 for expansion purposes. My thought was they would trade Campbell this year or this offseason. Then make a trade with Seattle before the expansion draft in exchange for selecting Quick. So trade Austin Wagner to Seattle for future considerations, then Seattle picks quick . Vegas did a lot of that and made a good team because of it. I literally just picked Wagner cuz he popped in my head. Could be a lot of people just an example. I think it really just depends on the trade offers for Quick and Campbell.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 5:43 p.m.
Quoting: Kings989
That’s not a bad idea actually. Hadn’t thought of carrying 3 for expansion purposes. My thought was they would trade Campbell this year or this offseason. Then make a trade with Seattle before the expansion draft in exchange for selecting Quick. So trade Austin Wagner to Seattle for future considerations, then Seattle picks quick . Vegas did a lot of that and made a good team because of it. I literally just picked Wagner cuz he popped in my head. Could be a lot of people just an example. I think it really just depends on the trade offers for Quick and Campbell.

I don't think the Kings will make any trade offers to Seattle. I think they'll sit back and see who they take and make their goaltender decisions moving forward.

If it's Campbell, then Quick will serve as Petersen's backup and mentor until his contract ends and Ingham or Parik can take over the backup role (I don't think Villalta or Kehler are NHL quality goaltenders).

If it's Quick, then Campbell and Petersen can tandem for a year and Campbell well get traded at the deadline to a contender. Ingham should be NHL ready by then and can step into the backup role behind Petersen.

If Seattle takes a defenseman (likely Roy, as I think the Kings will protect Doughty, Walker, and Clague), then the Kings can trade Campbell at the 2021 entry draft (not expansion draft) to a team looking to upgrade at goaltender.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 6:20 p.m.
I don't think the Kings will make any trade offers to Seattle. I think they'll sit back and see who they take and make their goaltender decisions moving forward.

If it's Campbell, then Quick will serve as Petersen's backup and mentor until his contract ends and Ingham or Parik can take over the backup role (I don't think Villalta or Kehler are NHL quality goaltenders).

If it's Quick, then Campbell and Petersen can tandem for a year and Campbell well get traded at the deadline to a contender. Ingham should be NHL ready by then and can step into the backup role behind Petersen.

If Seattle takes a defenseman (likely Roy, as I think the Kings will protect Doughty, Walker, and Clague), then the Kings can trade Campbell at the 2021 entry draft (not expansion draft) to a team looking to upgrade at goaltender.

Agree Yeah any of that could happen really hard to tell at this point . It’s also gonna depend on what trades are made concerning some other guys too not just goaltenders. I agree villalta and Kehler aren’t nhl goalies. There could be a trade sending a couple young guys like Clague in a deal. Kings have so many youngsters. So many different scenarios. Anything could happen
Dec. 18, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
Agree Yeah any of that could happen really hard to tell at this point . It’s also gonna depend on what trades are made concerning some other guys too not just goaltenders. I agree villalta and Kehler aren’t nhl goalies. There could be a trade sending a couple young guys like Clague in a deal. Kings have so many youngsters. So many different scenarios. Anything could happen

The Kings defensive pipeline is pretty much set for the future. They have Anderson, Clague, and Bjornfot on the left and Doughty, Walker, and Durzi on the right. Roy has been playing really well lately and has thrown a wrench into things, but I don't think he will ever overtake Walker. The left side is a little more clear, as I don't think that Hutton, Ryan, or Martinez will be around next season. MacDermid might stay on as a #7, but he's never going to be in the Kings top six 6 plans.

The best part is that only 3 of the guys in the current plan (Doughty, Clague, and Walker) require protection. The other guys are all exempt. So short of the Kings possibly trading Walker if Roy continues to improve, I don't think any of them will be moved.

Forwards are a different story. The Kings have a lot of younger guys that will require protection. Kempe, Lizotte, Iafallo (assuming he's extended), Wagner, Grundstrom, Amadio, and Luff, prioritized in that order, all require protection. The rest of the guys in the future plans are all exempt. With Kopitar obviously getting one of the protection slots, that means one of those young guys will need to be exposed (two if the Kings decide to protect Brown...which is unlikely). Might they trade Amadio or Luff to nudge Seattle towards selecting a goaltender? It's certainly possible.
Kings989 liked this.
Dec. 18, 2019 at 9:10 p.m.
The Kings defensive pipeline is pretty much set for the future. They have Anderson, Clague, and Bjornfot on the left and Doughty, Walker, and Durzi on the right. Roy has been playing really well lately and has thrown a wrench into things, but I don't think he will ever overtake Walker. The left side is a little more clear, as I don't think that Hutton, Ryan, or Martinez will be around next season. MacDermid might stay on as a #7, but he's never going to be in the Kings top six 6 plans.

The best part is that only 3 of the guys in the current plan (Doughty, Clague, and Walker) require protection. The other guys are all exempt. So short of the Kings possibly trading Walker if Roy continues to improve, I don't think any of them will be moved.

Forwards are a different story. The Kings have a lot of younger guys that will require protection. Kempe, Lizotte, Iafallo (assuming he's extended), Wagner, Grundstrom, Amadio, and Luff, prioritized in that order, all require protection. The rest of the guys in the future plans are all exempt. With Kopitar obviously getting one of the protection slots, that means one of those young guys will need to be exposed (two if the Kings decide to protect Brown...which is unlikely). Might they trade Amadio or Luff to nudge Seattle towards selecting a goaltender? It's certainly possible.

Yes exactly! That was my feeling that being that they have so many young forwards and at least a few with be exposed do they create their own destiny so to speak and part with a guy that maybe they don’t see as part of their future? Could they possibly trade brown to Seattle to take quick? Remember Seattle has to reach the cap floor as well! Their are so many factors including other teams and trades etc. Or trade Wagner or luff, Amadio to take quick! Or maybe Seattle says nope we don’t like any of them we are taking Roy. It should be interesting! Great analysis! Nice throwing ideas around
Dec. 18, 2019 at 9:51 p.m.
Yes exactly! That was my feeling that being that they have so many young forwards and at least a few with be exposed do they create their own destiny so to speak and part with a guy that maybe they don’t see as part of their future? Could they possibly trade brown to Seattle to take quick? Remember Seattle has to reach the cap floor as well! Their are so many factors including other teams and trades etc. Or trade Wagner or luff, Amadio to take quick! Or maybe Seattle says nope we don’t like any of them we are taking Roy. It should be interesting! Great analysis! Nice throwing ideas around

I don't think the Kings will make a trade to entice Seattle to take Quick. While I'm sure they would be relieved to be free of his cap hit, they're not going to actively pursue trading away their future Hall of Fame goaltender. It will let them off the hook if Seattle elects to take him of their own volition, but it's kind of a kick to the nuts to Quick to say that they're going to give up a quality asset in exchange for getting rid of him.

If the Kings were nearing the end of the rebuild and were badly in need of cap space, I would say that maybe they would consider it, but the Kings are't going to be a cap team until at least 2023-24 when Turcotte, Kupari, and others will be coming off of their ELCs. Quick's contract will be off the books by then.

TL;DR, IMO, the only way Quick leaves LA before his contract expires is if Seattle chooses him in the expansion draft. The Kings won't trade to entice them to do so.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll