Forums/Armchair-GM

Update anyone

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 19, 2019
Published: Dec. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Alright hawks fans, what’s the update? How are we feeling? What’s our opinions? What needs to change? Do we need change? Are Colliton and Bowman secretly sabotaging the team, or are they actually geniuses looking to tank without saying it? Let’s hear those thoughts!

Personally, this team just hurts to watch. To see these future hall of famers fall from grace together so quickly is tragic. Constant excuses range from “no energy” to “a lack of emotion.” If thats the case guys, why not get some energy? Why not get pissed off? Cuz this team looks like a bunch of children with no pride. Sam Girard proved to me tonight that the size and toughness argument is pointless. All you need is heart. Hopefully cat got that knocked into him.

Beyond the titanic sinking that is the Chicago Blackhawks, i really hope that our prospects do come of age and pan out, because one guy that is starting to worry me is boqvist. I may be jumping the gun on this, but boqvist looks like a kid playing in the wrong system. He still has a long way to go in development (can’t believe we were one pick from Quinn Hughes......), but the more I watch this system he just seems out of place. Dach is.......there, i suppose, but then again, he always looks like he’s on the wrong team to me. Plus, no points in 15ish games I believe????

Either way, from the players to the prospects, the hawks are seemingly a team destined for lottery status for the foreseeable future. Stan Bowman may have made some “good” trades, but sorry, they just haven’t worked, much like anything else these past three years. Everyone knows what I want to happen, but I think the hawks have decided on mediocrity. They were the gold standard in this league for ten years, I guess they do wanna settle for being terrible. Just a shame that guys like strome, cat, kubalik, or lehner have to be Handcuffed to this team when the team shows no passion or perseverance. At least lehner can walk, and he really should.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$81,500,000$70,146,686$0$7,665,000$11,353,314
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 19, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.
Chicago
I don't know why this is surprising anymore, until Colliton and Bowman go, nothing is going to change.
HatterTParty liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:00 a.m.
I thought Boqvist has never looked more out of place than say Gus or Maatta or even at times, De Haan has struggled too. He has also had his bright moments that make you see that he truly is developing. He plays the body, he doesn't shy away from defenders, he just needs to work on his overall system coordination, as he gets a little aggressive at times. Dach as well, has had his ups and downs. There are moments where he makes you see why he was the #3 overall pick brimming with potential, and other times where he gets dicked around by Mackinnon as everyone else does and he doesn't look special anymore. Their time will come. Everyone else minus Kane and Toews and at times Saad have stunk this season. Even Cat has been having a rough year with defense issues and turnovers. Idk. There is no quick fix. Hopefully Bowman (or Maciver) sells Gus, Shaw, whoever they can toss out the window for as many valuable ish assets or picks as possible and we start the road through a heavy retool. We are only a couple pieces away, but those pieces are huge pieces, ones that would have to step in right off the draft (Lafreniere on a line with Kane, anyone?) or a huge free agent signing like Hall. This isn't going to be fixed by signing another guy to a 2 mil contract or trading for another 5th defenseman, , and thats the whole problem. The piece we need is not easily attainable, so is it better to sell off and try to build those pieces through the draft and hope Kane and toews are still running in 3 years or do we try and stay competitive now while not really growing our future?
exo2769 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:03 a.m.
I am a little surprised that they sit last in the west.. There are a few guys that could generate interest come trade deadline. Saad can generate a good return since he is signed past this year. Caggiula can be moved for a later draft pick. Gustafsson may still bring back a 2nd+. As for the goalie situation, it is a little tough. I dont know if Lehner walks or wants to remain on this team, but he could get you a decent amount of value. I know goalies dont generate much of a return, but he could still get something decent. Crawford has been average and Delia has been underperforming in the AHL, so I dont know their goalie plan moving forward. Other than that, they need to be patient with the young guys.
Eli liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:12 a.m.
Who on earth thought this team would actually compete? What about the roster says "We are all still in our prime and can continue to compete"?
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:19 a.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Who on earth thought this team would actually compete? What about the roster says "We are all still in our prime and can continue to compete"?

Pretty sure every logical hawks fan on this site knew that buddy. The only ones who don’t are Bowman, Colliton, and so on.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:21 a.m.
Quoting: LetsTalkNHL
I am a little surprised that they sit last in the west.. There are a few guys that could generate interest come trade deadline. Saad can generate a good return since he is signed past this year. Caggiula can be moved for a later draft pick. Gustafsson may still bring back a 2nd+. As for the goalie situation, it is a little tough. I dont know if Lehner walks or wants to remain on this team, but he could get you a decent amount of value. I know goalies dont generate much of a return, but he could still get something decent. Crawford has been average and Delia has been underperforming in the AHL, so I dont know their goalie plan moving forward. Other than that, they need to be patient with the young guys.

Agree with everything you said save for the bottom of the west part. I did think the kings would finish bottom, but I figured the hawks would finish last in their division. Nothing about this screams “compete” anymore. The hawks have seemingly lost their way. Hate to see it happen so freakin fast.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:25 a.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Pretty sure every logical hawks fan on this site knew that buddy. The only ones who don’t are Bowman, Colliton, and so on.

I find that quite funny, I remember people saying how the 2nd we got from the Shaw trade was going to end up being a late 2nd because of how good Chicago was going to be this year.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly
I thought Boqvist has never looked more out of place than say Gus or Maatta or even at times, De Haan has struggled too. He has also had his bright moments that make you see that he truly is developing. He plays the body, he doesn't shy away from defenders, he just needs to work on his overall system coordination, as he gets a little aggressive at times. Dach as well, has had his ups and downs. There are moments where he makes you see why he was the #3 overall pick brimming with potential, and other times where he gets dicked around by Mackinnon as everyone else does and he doesn't look special anymore. Their time will come. Everyone else minus Kane and Toews and at times Saad have stunk this season. Even Cat has been having a rough year with defense issues and turnovers. Idk. There is no quick fix. Hopefully Bowman (or Maciver) sells Gus, Shaw, whoever they can toss out the window for as many valuable ish assets or picks as possible and we start the road through a heavy retool. We are only a couple pieces away, but those pieces are huge pieces, ones that would have to step in right off the draft (Lafreniere on a line with Kane, anyone?) or a huge free agent signing like Hall. This isn't going to be fixed by signing another guy to a 2 mil contract or trading for another 5th defenseman, , and thats the whole problem. The piece we need is not easily attainable, so is it better to sell off and try to build those pieces through the draft and hope Kane and toews are still running in 3 years or do we try and stay competitive now while not really growing our future?

Ya see, a big thing I noticed you said was “were only a few pieces away.” In my mind, and this is just me, I think we’re half a team away. Sure, we may have decent prospects, and hopefully they make us a little better. However, I genuinely feel none of them are future number ones at any position. Boqvist could be a #2, but no quite a #1. Dach isn’t dynamic enough to be a #1 and definitely doesn’t project as such. In all reality, another huge concern is that the team needs a new gm and coach to give this team a better roster and definitely a better playing style. This defensive crap Colliton is preaching is absolute garbage.
SlickWilly liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:46 a.m.
Chicago
Quoting: HabsForEver

On paper, this team has a much better offense than some teams currently sitting in playoff spots, what ruins it is their system.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Chicago

If Colliton goes, this team is in great shape. Let's not forget the hawks fired Q, a staple in the city of Chicago, and gave his position to someone who had one year of coaching success in Rockford. Before that, he was coaching in the SHL. It is immensely difficult for a player to make the jump from SHL to AHL and then AHL to NHL. How on Earth can you expect a coach to do that? Colliton is so inexperienced, Mittel is another nobody. These guys have no idea how the NHL works, they're trying to implement styles of play that are only successful in Europe. If you listen to postgame comments, it seems like the players have no respect for him, and why should they? He hasn't earned this position, he hasn't paid the dues most NHL coaches have paid, and it clearly doesn't sit well with the players.
SlickWilly liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 7:15 a.m.
CHI NYI
Idk bro I’m just sad....
Dec. 19, 2019 at 8:09 a.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Ya see, a big thing I noticed you said was “were only a few pieces away.” In my mind, and this is just me, I think we’re half a team away. Sure, we may have decent prospects, and hopefully they make us a little better. However, I genuinely feel none of them are future number ones at any position. Boqvist could be a #2, but no quite a #1. Dach isn’t dynamic enough to be a #1 and definitely doesn’t project as such. In all reality, another huge concern is that the team needs a new gm and coach to give this team a better roster and definitely a better playing style. This defensive crap Colliton is preaching is absolute garbage.

Yeah I mean what I meant by a few pieces away was that we have all the bottom 6 help we could ever need and our 2nd line is pretty good, but we have nobody with true first line status other than Kane, and nobody with true 1st pairing status (although Murphy is lookin pretty decent at filling that role for now... sometimes), so while we are only a few pieces away, those pieces are probably the biggest pieces a team needs
HatterTParty liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 8:13 a.m.
Quoting: NickC1988
If Colliton goes, this team is in great shape. Let's not forget the hawks fired Q, a staple in the city of Chicago, and gave his position to someone who had one year of coaching success in Rockford. Before that, he was coaching in the SHL. It is immensely difficult for a player to make the jump from SHL to AHL and then AHL to NHL. How on Earth can you expect a coach to do that? Colliton is so inexperienced, Mittel is another nobody. These guys have no idea how the NHL works, they're trying to implement styles of play that are only successful in Europe. If you listen to postgame comments, it seems like the players have no respect for him, and why should they? He hasn't earned this position, he hasn't paid the dues most NHL coaches have paid, and it clearly doesn't sit well with the players.

I was willing to see what Colliton could bring at first, as he was intriguing to me, having taken a nobody organization from the second tier league out of relegation with little to no resources. I thought he could do it. But at this point I just want to see somebody who can coach the NHL. I think Deboer is our best option and will be the best option that's out there that hasn't done some dummy unethical ****. I think Bowman needs to cut his losses and atleast get Deboer onboard as an assistant to put the pressure on Colliton if he doesn't turn this thing around (which he won't)
Dec. 19, 2019 at 8:16 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Dec. 19, 2019 at 2:08 p.m.
I think (hope) Bowman and the rest of upper management know that they're retooling. You CAN'T trade Toews/Kane even if you wanted to. For the record I don't want to. You'll NEVER get fair value back in return because they control their own destiny. I wouldn't even try and would absolutely hate it if they tried. Everyone talks about COL's speed which I agree, but no one talks about their size. You can have a Girard on the ice and play well when practically the 2nd smallest person on the ice is 200 lbs and Nathan MacKinnon. Not even Hasek on his best day could save that 2nd goal. MacKinnon is unreal. He'll be the Hart winner this year.

@HatterTParty we've talked about Boqvist before. He's small and can't hit for $hit. He'll need to get more physical, but he needs protected minutes for the rest of this year. He needs to hit the gym because even little Samuel Girard is bigger than Boqvist. The 2nd advantage beyond size that Girard gets are his pairings. Graves and Zadarov are 225 and 235 lbs. De Haan/Matta are 195 and 205 respectively. The 3rd and probably most crucial part is coaching. This takes time whether we like it or not.

Good transition to Dach. I don't think he looked all that out of place yesterday. Yeah, I saw some rookie mistakes, but he held his own. I want to see him get more ice time (since he's not going to WJC or WHL clearly) and just toss him into the fire. He's not going to get beat up. He needs to react instead of think. I've seen him skate fast and out pace a lot of defenders. I'm not worried about a breakaway (other than he might defer too much) because he creates good separation east/west from the defender, receives the pass and makes a solid play. It's the NON-break away (transition from offense to defense) where I'm not sure he gets the system yet. He looks out of place and constantly trying to think...where should I be right now and then once he gets it...the play passes him by. That's more ice time to me. Keep in mind, it's not like Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko are blowing anyone out of the water either. They're BOTH on their #1PP. (9 out of 14 points for Kaapo on the PP and 5 out of 14 for Hughes) Dach doesn't get hardly any PP time at all. 1 assist. AND despite no goals...he did win a game in a shootout. So technically no points despite putting the puck in the net.

Alright enough on the prospects. I have been and continue to be on the boat...Ship of every single UFA you can. I would NOT sign Lehner unless you can't trade him away. IDK why you couldn't get value because there are plenty of PLAYOFF teams out there that have Poor Starting goaltending (CAR, EDM, SJ) Let alone poor backup goaltending. It all depends on return. Gus, Lehner, Crow...Gone to the highest bidder. Then I'd hear offers for Saad. NOT saying I'd automatically pull the trigger, but make me an offer I can't refuse. He's having a tremendous year and that are also teams that need physical power forwards. Learn from the Gus mistake last summer...don't miss out on the high point for value.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Idk bro I’m just sad....

I’m right there with you buddy.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Chicago
I was willing to see what Colliton could bring at first, as he was intriguing to me, having taken a nobody organization from the second tier league out of relegation with little to no resources. I thought he could do it. But at this point I just want to see somebody who can coach the NHL. I think Deboer is our best option and will be the best option that's out there that hasn't done some dummy unethical ****. I think Bowman needs to cut his losses and atleast get Deboer onboard as an assistant to put the pressure on Colliton if he doesn't turn this thing around (which he won't)

Accomplishments overseas mean nothing to me. Kovalchuk got 6 million cause he was a point a game guy in Russia, now he's on his way out. I think coaches and players overseas should be held to the same standard at this point. If they don't have NHL experience or at least several years of AHL/college experience, there's really no telling what their outcome will be. You can place bets on a player/team as the hawks have by adding Kubalik, Strome, and Perlini over the years, but coaching is the one aspect you should never take a risk on. You should always know what you're getting out of a coach, and I don't think Bowman and Co. really knew.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: NickC1988
Accomplishments overseas mean nothing to me. Kovalchuk got 6 million cause he was a point a game guy in Russia, now he's on his way out. I think coaches and players overseas should be held to the same standard at this point. If they don't have NHL experience or at least several years of AHL/college experience, there's really no telling what their outcome will be. You can place bets on a player/team as the hawks have by adding Kubalik, Strome, and Perlini over the years, but coaching is the one aspect you should never take a risk on. You should always know what you're getting out of a coach, and I don't think Bowman and Co. really knew.

The irony of the whole situation is that bowman fired Q to save his own ass. He knew two straight seasons of failure was intolerable and he was able to spin it to look like it was Q’s fault. No offense, but that team bowman gave Q to start last year was GARBAGE! Yet, here we are still giving bowman passes after the team flounders under moves he made in free agency, trading, and coaching changes. Maybe you’re the problem Stan. At least Colliton will get us a lottery pick. Can we trust you to use that pick wisely? I sure don’t after this last draft.

Don’t get me wrong, fire JC too, but I’d honestly wait till the end of the season now, cuz this season is already lost. However, fire bowman NOW!!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll