Forums/Armchair-GM

NYR Trade

Created by: CD282
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 19, 2019
Published: Dec. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is probably best done in the summer, but I used a 19-20 roster to show that it can be done in season also - just as soon as Gorton decides they're out and the sale starts.

Here's the situation in Manhattan as I see it: Shesterkin (the heir-apparent) want's to be in the NHL ASAP but certainly no later than next fall, but Lundqvist (the king) still has another year on his deal. Complicating this is the fact that the Rangers have another good young goalie, Georgiev, already serving as Lundqvist's backup and understudy. Since there's almost no chance they'll carry 3 goalies for a full year, one of them must be moved. It won't be Lundqvist as he has an ironclad NMC, so it has to be one of the young goalies. Shesterkin is the Next Big Thing, so it won't be him either, leaving Georgiev as the odd man out. It seems a damn shame to trade away one of the best backups in the league when the starter is retiring in a year though, which is why this is a difficult situation for Gorton and NYR fans. Two years from now, and for the next 10, having a Shesterkin-Georgiev 1-2 punch seems ideal, but you have 1 year of Henrik standing in the way. The solution? Trade Georgiev for a younger goalie whose arrival date concurs exactly with Lundqvist's departure date, thus giving Shesterkin a year (or 1.5 if we do the deal now) under the tutelage and protection of the one of the best goalies of his generation.

That young goalie is currently in Edmonton's system and is playing in the KHL: Ilya Konovalov. He's signed to his KHL team for another year after this one so he can't came over to the NHL before 2021, which is when Lundqvist's contract expires. He posted a 25-15-1 record last year as a 20-year-old in the KHL, with a 1.89 GAA and .930 Sv%. At 20, Shesterkin got in just 7 KHL games, posting a 2.58 GAA and .912 Sv%. I'm not saying he's as good as Shesterkin, but he's almost certainly a future NHL starter.

Konovalov's KHL team struggled to get going this year, firing several coaches in September alone, but since October 8th he's got things back under control, posting a .921 Sv% since that time. Remember he's just 21. If he spends next year in the KHL honing his skills, he'll be ready to come over as a 23-year-old and serve as Shesterkin's backup in New York, making the end of the Lundqvist era a seamless transition.

NYR doesn't have a 2nd of their own this year, so that completes the deal.

Also, I decided this was a good opportunity to give Puljujarvi a new home, as NYR has several young players that fit the mold Holland is looking for. I picked Lias Andersson, another player who could use a change of scenery. Both were high picks (Jesse 4th overall in 2016, Lias 7th overall in 2017), both 1998 born, and neither living up to their draft-day potential. I have Puljujarvi as more valuable for two reasons: his NHL scoring rate is about twice Andersson's (0.27 vs 0.14) and Puljujarvi is playing very well this year (fully recovered from hip surgery) while Andersson is not. Therefore I've attached a 3rd from the Rangers end to balance the deal. To be honest I don't think a 3rd is enough, but if I go any higher I'll be no doubt eviscerated in the comments, so that's what it'll be. I'd rather have Howden anyways, so if Rangers fans want to swap Andersson for Howden I'm more than happy.

Thirdly, I've upgraded the forwards here: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/292253

Andersson and goalie Mike Smith would be sent to Bakersfield of the AHL.
Trades
EDM
  1. Andersson, Lias
  2. Georgiev, Alexandar
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Konovalov, Ilya [Reserve List]
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$81,500,000$80,879,499$0$860,000$620,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$870,000$870,000
RD
UFA - 1
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:06 p.m.
Banned
FAT Pass.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
I think this is pretty fair. I think if you drop the 3rd coming back, Gorton would be foolish to say no. Makes sense for all parties.
CD282 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: BSpadaro83
I think this is pretty fair. I think if you drop the 3rd coming back, Gorton would be foolish to say no. Makes sense for all parties.

meh the value is in the ballpark, but it doesn't make sense for the Rangers...trading goalie for goalie is not the point of trading Georgy. We'd rather just hold on to him til the draft.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: Sagecoll
meh the value is in the ballpark, but it doesn't make sense for the Rangers...trading goalie for goalie is not the point of trading Georgy. We'd rather just hold on to him til the draft.

yea but i like JP more than Lias (alot) and I am fine resetting the timeline on another goalie prospect for Allaire to turn into a stud and picking up a 2nd for my troubles.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
easy pass
Dec. 19, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.

The very first line of the Team Explanation is literally: This is probably best done in the summer, but I used a 19-20 roster to show that it can be done in season also
Dec. 19, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
The very first line of the Team Explanation is literally: This is probably best done in the summer, but I used a 19-20 roster to show that it can be done in season also

yeah what I'm saying is that a trade for Georgiev isn't done til the summer. Not this trade isn't done til the summer. The main point of dealing JP for Edmonton is dealing an unusable asset this year for a usable asset in the playoffs. Dealing for Lias isn't really relevant to that.

A trade involving JP for someone like Fast (prob with a mid round pick) at the deadline makes a lot more sense. And then dealing Georgy for a 1st later at the draft. Trading a goalie for a goalie is kinda pointless for the Rangers...
Dec. 19, 2019 at 2:09 p.m.
Quoting: BSpadaro83
yea but i like JP more than Lias (alot) and I am fine resetting the timeline on another goalie prospect for Allaire to turn into a stud and picking up a 2nd for my troubles.

I mean that's nice. I don't share that opinion....The Rangers currently have the best goalie in the AHL (Shesty) and NCAA (Wall) on top of Huska and Hank and Georgy....we don't need ANY more goalies in the system...
Hawksince71 liked this.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
Trading a goalie for a goalie is kinda pointless for the Rangers...

I thought the logic was spelled out fairly well in the Team Explanation. Do the Rangers have another goalie prospect due to arrive in 2021?
Dec. 19, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.

There are many options that the Rangers can do than moving their 23 year old net minder who is currently outshining his master, to accommodate Shesterkin. #1 Buy out the remaining year of Lundqvist's contract. #2 Move Georgiev to the minors. #3 Move Shesterkin to the minors. #4 Put Lundqvist's on LTIR. Just off the top of my head.

In your argument, you state there is no room three goaltenders in New York next season, and the trade is for having third goaltender coming back. Lundqvist is not on your roster. What happen to him? Did he have an accident?

You mention Shesterkin as the next big thing. That wouldn’t be Jimmy Vesey big, would it?
Dec. 19, 2019 at 4:20 p.m.
I thought the logic was spelled out fairly well in the Team Explanation. Do the Rangers have another goalie prospect due to arrive in 2021?

Huska...
Dec. 19, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksince71
There are many options that the Rangers can do than moving their 23 year old net minder who is currently outshining his master, to accommodate Shesterkin. #1 Buy out the remaining year of Lundqvist's contract. #2 Move Georgiev to the minors. #3 Move Shesterkin to the minors. #4 Put Lundqvist's on LTIR. Just off the top of my head.

In your argument, you state there is no room three goaltenders in New York next season, and the trade is for having third goaltender coming back. Lundqvist is not on your roster. What happen to him? Did he have an accident?

You mention Shesterkin as the next big thing. That wouldn’t be Jimmy Vesey big, would it?

Hank is a top 10 goalie in the NHL right now....why are you referring to him in a buyout?
Dec. 19, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
Huska...

You're going into the summer planning on Huska being ready a year later - not a good plan.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 5:20 p.m.

Did you mean to quote @Sagecoll for this message? It seems to have nothing to do with his comments on this thread... assuming you meant to aim this at me, I'll answer from my perspective.

The Ranger don't as have many options for next year as you think.

#1 buyout Lundqvist. This is a possibility but highly unlikely, teams don't just throw out their best player over the past 15 years like a piece of trash, just to make room for a new guy.
#2 Georgiev to AHL. This is also technically feasible but the surest way to alienate a player who has proved capable of playing in the NHL. Not going to happen.
#3 Shesterkin to AHL. This is why this whole conversation is happening - Shesterkin has indicated that he want's to be in the NHL next year or he'll go back to Russia. Use him or lose him.
#4 Lundqvist on LTIR. This is illegal. You cannot put a healthy player on LTIR. If it were allowed then nobody would ever get bought out, every GM would just stick their older useless players on LTIR.

My argument is that there isn't room for 3 goaltenders in New York next season, yes. Mine, not Sagecoll's. Yes, the trade involves another goaltender coming back, but one that would be in KHL next year, not New York. It works like this:

2019-20: Lundqvist, Georgiev (this year)
2020-21: Lundqvist, Shesterkin (next year - Konovalov can't come because he's under contract to his KHL team through this season, Shesterkin must be here because he'll quit the team if not)
2021-22: Shesterkin, Konovalov (2 years away - Lundqvist's contract ends and he retires)

"Lundqvist is not on your roster. What happen to him? Did he have an accident?" This is an Edmonton Oilers roster. I didn't trade for Lundqvist so there's no reason for him to be here.
Dec. 19, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Did you mean to quote @Sagecoll for this message? It seems to have nothing to do with his comments on this thread... assuming you meant to aim this at me, I'll answer from my perspective.

#1 buyout Lundqvist. This is a possibility but highly unlikely, teams don't just throw out their best player over the past 15 years like a piece of trash, just to make room for a new guy.
#2 Georgiev to AHL. This is also technically feasible but the surest way to alienate a player who has proved capable of playing in the NHL. Not going to happen.
#3 Shesterkin to AHL. This is why this whole conversation is happening - Shesterkin has indicated that he want's to be in the NHL next year or he'll go back to Russia. Use him or lose him.
#4 Lundqvist on LTIR. This is illegal. You cannot put a healthy player on LTIR. If it were allowed then nobody would ever get bought out, every GM would just stick their older useless players on LTIR.

My argument is that there isn't room for 3 goaltenders in New York next season, yes. Mine, not Sagecoll's. Yes, the trade involves another goaltender coming back, but one that would be in KHL next year, not New York. It works like this:

2020-21: Lundqvist, Shesterkin (next year - Konovalov can't come because he's under contract to his KHL team through this season, Shesterkin must be here because he'll quit the team if not)
2021-22: Shesterkin, Konovalov (2 years away - Lundqvist's contract ends and he retires)

"Lundqvist is not on your roster. What happen to him? Did he have an accident?" This is an Edmonton Oilers roster. I didn't trade for Lundqvist so there's no reason for him to be here.

Right. (Though this doesn't mention a 5th option of trading Lundqvist)

The issue isn't trading Georgy, it's trading Georgy for what...

This timeline basically ignores that there are several goalie prospects in the system Shesty.

I mean Tyler Wall is 2nd in the entire NCAA in Sv% (and he has 130 more saves than the 1st place goalie in the same amount of games)

Wall can easily be here by 21-22. AS well as Adam Huska, currently outpacing fellow young AHL goalies Jake Oettinger, Cayden Primeau, and Joseph Woll.

Again, Rangers goalie depth throughout the organization is great and needs no help. Trading for a goalie is non-sensical when you can just trade Georgy for a 1st rounder and take a F.
CD282 liked this.
Dec. 20, 2019 at 7:28 a.m.
Right. (Though this doesn't mention a 5th option of trading Lundqvist)

The issue isn't trading Georgy, it's trading Georgy for what...

This timeline basically ignores that there are several goalie prospects in the system Shesty.

I mean Tyler Wall is 2nd in the entire NCAA in Sv% (and he has 130 more saves than the 1st place goalie in the same amount of games)

Wall can easily be here by 21-22. AS well as Adam Huska, currently outpacing fellow young AHL goalies Jake Oettinger, Cayden Primeau, and Joseph Woll.

Again, Rangers goalie depth throughout the organization is great and needs no help. Trading for a goalie is non-sensical when you can just trade Georgy for a 1st rounder and take a F.

I hadn't looked into the Rangers prospect goalie depth, so thanks for that. However, I see Rangers fans on this board frequently freaking out about trading Georgiev because they're afraid to lose him due to goalie depth once HL retires, so that doesn't add up either.
Dec. 20, 2019 at 9:08 a.m.
I hadn't looked into the Rangers prospect goalie depth, so thanks for that. However, I see Rangers fans on this board frequently freaking out about trading Georgiev because they're afraid to lose him due to goalie depth once HL retires, so that doesn't add up either.

90% of Ranger fans on here are pretty dumb. It makes it really hard for the rest of us to have intelligent conversations when they set the bar...
CD282 liked this.
Dec. 20, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.

Option #1 You don’t trade a 23 year old goaltender who has proven to play in this league, to make room for a goaltender who hasn’t. For you explain your reasoning behind it, you have obviously missed my point.
Dec. 20, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Option #1 You don’t trade a 23 year old goaltender who has proven to play in this league, to make room for a goaltender who hasn’t. For you explain your reasoning behind it, you have obviously missed my point.

It's not "my" reasoning, the word on the street is that Shesterkin will return to Russia if he can't get a full-time NHL job next year. Unless you can convince Lundqvist to retire, trading one of Shesterkin or Georgiev is the most likely outcome. I presume that to be Georgiev due to the fact most people feel Shesterkin is the better goaltender.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll