Forums/Armchair-GM

LEAFS-WILD

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 24, 2019
Published: Dec. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I like this trade for the Leafs because it provides them with better depth up front, a huge upgrade on defense and finally a backup goaltender good for more than one win a year.
Merry Christmas!?
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$91,469,699$0$0-$9,969,699
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 24, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Oh boy..
GenXHockey liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: JayTea
Oh boy..

First I'd like to congratulate you on response time, that was fast.
I'm guessing that isn't a good "Oh boy", so let's here it.
GenXHockey and JayTea liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Don’t think Toronto needs much help up front and dumba doesn’t offer a ton of D help. Certainly not going to take this as a serious attempt though.
OutCold13 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:04 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
That cap space tho
Marincin_memes liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: Jamiepo
Don’t think Toronto needs much help up front and dumba doesn’t offer a ton of D help. Certainly not going to take this as a serious attempt though.

No I know TML can score up front but I guess I'm of the impression the Leafs could use a little more depth to get a solid 4th line.
Dumba has apparently killed his credibility this year. I believe he will snap out of it soon but not many takers apparently.
Not a well thought out trade just checking general interest.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: Paul13
First I'd like to congratulate you on response time, that was fast.
I'm guessing that isn't a good "Oh boy", so let's here it.

Dumba and Stalock don’t solve the Leafs defensive issues. Stalock is a passable backup because of the Wilds defensive structure. The Leafs play a lot looser and focus more on creating offense, which for any Leaf fans reading this means I think Andersen is a criminally underrated goalie for his play behind the team in front of him because they hang him out to dry quite a bit in the few games I’ve seen. Maybe they’ve gotten better under Keefe though. Pateryn is injured and hasn’t played yet, no idea why but the Leafs don’t need another LTIR candidate. If he was healthy, he’d probably be good for them on their 3rd pair in a shutdown role. The only reason Zuccarello signed with the Wild is Fenton was the only GM dumb enough to offer the extra year, so we’re stuck with him. No one is taking him. Donato is too expensive for a team like the Leafs given his deficiencies. I think Dubas overpaid Marner, but the players you’re sending over aren’t worth Marner and Liljegren imo. The Leafs desperately need guys like Liljegren and Sandin to be contributing on their ELCs if they want to have depth while having so many high priced forwards.
OutCold13 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Double post
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Try to avoid putting the crack directly into the eggnog. Just some friendly advice.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
Jangle29
Without even considering value, do you think toronto trades Marner for this right now? Use your brain
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: JayTea
Dumba and Stalock don’t solve the Leafs defensive issues. Stalock is a passable backup because of the Wilds defensive structure. The Leafs play a lot looser and focus more on creating offense, which for any Leaf fans reading this means I think Andersen is a criminally underrated goalie for his play behind the team in front of him because they hang him out to dry quite a bit in the few games I’ve seen. Maybe they’ve gotten better under Keene though. Pateryn is injured and hasn’t played yet, no idea why but the Leafs don’t need another LTIR candidate. If he was healthy, he’d probably be good for them on their 3rd pair in a shutdown role. The only reason Zuccarello signed with the Wild is Fenton was the only GM dumb enough to offer the extra year, so we’re stuck with him. No one is taking him. Donato is too expensive for a team like the Leafs given his deficiencies. I think Dubas overpaid Marner, but the players you’re sending over aren’t worth Marner and Liljegren imo. The Leafs desperately need guys like Liljegren and Sandin to be contributing on their ELCs if they want to have depth while having so many high priced forwards.

I think you don't give Stalock enough credit, however your not wrong he would be more exposed in Toronto. I agree Zuccarello deal wasn't great but he is currently playing up to the contract and I was hoping Dumba would be able to sell it.
Dumba will be good again but apparently nobody wants to take a chance, I also think Dumba is currently a huge upgrade over Ceci, even if he is not at his best.
I don't think Toronto would need the Elc of Liljegren if the don't have Marner and they got Dumba.
Perhaps Donato is too expensive for leafs but they could use him for the playoffs then flip him.
As far as I've heard Pateryn should be ready to go soon.
That said thanks for your opinion.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: Trevorchef
Try to avoid putting the crack directly into the eggnog. Just some friendly advice.

Quoting: Jangle29
Without even considering value, do you think toronto trades Marner for this right now? Use your brain

Sometimes you put stuff out there in hopes of discussion, most times you get some trolls who just try to out do each other with insults. Have a good Christmas!
GenXHockey liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
No I know TML can score up front but I guess I'm of the impression the Leafs could use a little more depth to get a solid 4th line.
Dumba has apparently killed his credibility this year. I believe he will snap out of it soon but not many takers apparently.
Not a well thought out trade just checking general interest.

I’m not the typical cap friendly poster. I don’t believe the value on a player changes that quickly. I just view dumba as a right shot Rielly. Acquiring dumba wouldn’t be horrible but I don’t think it would be the smartest move.
OutCold13 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Sometimes you put stuff out there in hopes of discussion, most times you get some trolls who just try to out do each other with insults. Have a good Christmas!

We can discuss it if you like.... I'll start here...

Why would the Leafs want to take on all of that salary? Especially for an often injured and overpaid forward?

The Leafs can walk from Ceci and Hutchinson at seasons end. They have replacements within the organization for the defensman.

Trading Marner is not only a bad move for the return you have here, it also is really bad optics for the team and the fanbase. If the team decides to trade Mitch Marner, they could do a hell of a lot better than Matt Freaking Dumba IMO.

This makes no sense at all from a personnel or a cap perspective.

Sorry bud, swing and a miss in my books.
OutCold13 and tomato43 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
We can discuss it if you like.... I'll start here...

Why would the Leafs want to take on all of that salary? Especially for an often injured and overpaid forward?

The Leafs can walk from Ceci and Hutchinson at seasons end. They have replacements within the organization for the defensman.

Trading Marner is not only a bad move for the return you have here, it also is really bad optics for the team and the fanbase.

This makes no sense at all from a personnel or a cap perspective.

Sorry bud, swing and a miss in my books.

I would agree that is a fair argument. I was thinking this trade would give the Leafs a chance at a cup run this year. I'm sure by now you have realized the Leafs are not a cup team as is, that said Leafs will have to give something up to acquire the services of another player. You will have to give up someone from the main roster due to the salary cap issues in Toronto. Perhaps this isn't the right trade for them, but that is the reality of the Leafs situation imo. Thanks for opinion though.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 4:17 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
This "depth" argument is always silly. Leafs don't need Donato at all. Certainly Zuccarello for Marner is big downgrade for the Leafs. Would rather keep Ceci over Pateryn,. Yea Dumba is an attractive period and would make the Leafs better at RHD now and for years. Leafs are expected Liljegren to be a Leaf next year and be a cost efficient Dman for years.
Stalock over Hutchinson. Yeah Stalock might be better this year. But Leafs have really played poorly in the Hutchinson games. How many more wins would Stalock have got them? And the Leafs like most teams are kinda doomed in if their # 1 does get injured long term anyway.
The trade long term Marner and Liljegren for Dumba and Zuccharello. For the couple of years it's an even cap. Leafs keep their players easily. Wild should hope the wheels don't fall of the energetic Zuccharello as that 5 year contract ages.
OutCold13 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 4:33 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: palhal
This "depth" argument is always silly. Leafs don't need Donato at all. Certainly Zuccarello for Marner is big downgrade for the Leafs. Would rather keep Ceci over Pateryn,. Yea Dumba is an attractive period and would make the Leafs better at RHD now and for years. Leafs are expected Liljegren to be a Leaf next year and be a cost efficient Dman for years.
Stalock over Hutchinson. Yeah Stalock might be better this year. But Leafs have really played poorly in the Hutchinson games. How many more wins would Stalock have got them? And the Leafs like most teams are kinda doomed in if their # 1 does get injured long term anyway.
The trade long term Marner and Liljegren for Dumba and Zuccharello. For the couple of years it's an even cap. Leafs keep their players easily. Wild should hope the wheels don't fall of the energetic Zuccharello as that 5 year contract ages.

No doubt the term on Zuccharello is going to blow up in the Wilds face. That said the Leafs will have to make a meaningful trade at some point. What will they give up? What can they expect in return? What will actually make them a better team? In one breath Leafs fans make the argument they need the ELC contracts to balance the cap in the future in the next breath they are trading Bracco, so I'm not really sure what the plan really is, I do suspect you are right that taking crap contracts like Zuccarellos is probably a flawed plan. Also why is the "depth" argument silly?
Dec. 24, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
No doubt the term on Zuccharello is going to blow up in the Wilds face. That said the Leafs will have to make a meaningful trade at some point. What will they give up? What can they expect in return? What will actually make them a better team? In one breath Leafs fans make the argument they need the ELC contracts to balance the cap in the future in the next breath they are trading Bracco, so I'm not really sure what the plan really is, I do suspect you are right that taking crap contracts like Zuccarellos is probably a flawed plan. Also why is the "depth" argument silly?

I see depth comments, but really you need a players who can plan effectively in your top 12 to 14 forwards. Leafs just don't have space for Donato at all. You could argue that Pateryn might be the 7th best Leaf Dman ( if he had playing and healthy) so that argument is OK.
Bracco. Many Leaf fans (and some others) look at his draft position (61st) and points in the AHL as road the NHL. Realistically in my eyes he's not an NHLer at all, so his contract don't matter all. He's our McCarron of Laval/Montreal. Habs fans keep putting him into NHL trades, really for the only reason he was former first rounder.....nothing to do with NHL ability.
Leafs really made the best trade possible in November. Keefe for Babcock.
A type of trade the Leaf might have to do if trading a forward with cap....Johnsson for instance. 3.4m X 3.5 years and for lets say Stalock and Pateryn. Not saying this trade would work for the Wild with their abundance of LWers and Pateryn has been injured all year and just might not be good enough this year for the Leafs But that type of trade. Two backups, and a bit of cap relief this year for Johnsson who the Leafs can replace internally
OutCold13 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 5:18 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
I see depth comments, but really you need a players who can plan effectively in your top 12 to 14 forwards. Leafs just don't have space for Donato at all. You could argue that Pateryn might be the 7th best Leaf Dman ( if he had playing and healthy) so that argument is OK.
Bracco. Many Leaf fans (and some others) look at his draft position (61st) and points in the AHL as road the NHL. Realistically in my eyes he's not an NHLer at all, so his contract don't matter all. He's our McCarron of Laval/Montreal. Habs fans keep putting him into NHL trades, really for the only reason he was former first rounder.....nothing to do with NHL ability.
Leafs really made the best trade possible in November. Keefe for Babcock.
A type of trade the Leaf might have to do if trading a forward with cap....Johnsson for instance. 3.4m X 3.5 years and for lets say Stalock and Pateryn. Not saying this trade would work for the Wild with their abundance of LWers and Pateryn has been injured all year and just might not be good enough this year for the Leafs But that type of trade. Two backups, and a bit of cap relief this year for Johnsson who the Leafs can replace internally

I could see that being Leafs best bet for this year, not sure what leafs have for replacement LW. Based on what you are saying the Wild probably aren't the best trade partners for Leafs.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 5:19 p.m.
@Paul13 You are always going to see crap from these Leaf-Goggles guys that think Ceci is valuable. Newsflash, he isn't. Not at that AAV anyways. If Ceci was making 1.75 million dollars per year, no problem. The simple fact of it is, Ceci, given his cap hit, is the player that needs to be traded from this team. The sooner the better. He is absolute garbage for what his salary dictates.

The Leafs have better internal solutions for Ceci right now. Both Sandin and Schmaltz would be no less effective than Cody "I suck at hockey" Ceci. Liljegren is another possibility.

The sooner that these clowns take off the "Cody Ceci is valuable goggles", the better things will get overall. Losing that contract opens up a multitude of options because they would be shedding 4.5 million dollars in absolutely wasted salary for a guy playing on the bottom pair and contributing nothing.

CODY CECI FOR THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY IS AN ABSOLUTE WASTE OF CAP RESOURCES!!!!!

The sooner people understand that, the sooner this team will benefit for the positive.

RANT OVER!
OutCold13 and Marincin_memes liked this.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 5:35 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
@Paul13 You are always going to see crap from these Leaf-Goggles guys that think Ceci is valuable. Newsflash, he isn't. Not at that AAV anyways. If Ceci was making 1.75 million dollars per year, no problem. The simple fact of it is, Ceci, given his cap hit, is the player that needs to be traded from this team. The sooner the better. He is absolute garbage for what his salary dictates.

The Leafs have better internal solutions for Ceci right now. Both Sandin and Schmaltz would be no less effective than Cody "I suck at hockey" Ceci. Liljegren is another possibility.

The sooner that these clowns take off the "Cody Ceci is valuable goggles", the better things will get overall. Losing that contract opens up a multitude of options because they would be shedding 4.5 million dollars in absolutely wasted salary for a guy playing on the bottom pair and contributing nothing.

CODY CECI FOR THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY IS AN ABSOLUTE WASTE OF CAP RESOURCES!!!!!

The sooner people understand that, the sooner this team will benefit for the positive.

RANT OVER!

I agree Ceci is overpaid. I suspect a team that plays a more defensive minded game, such as the Wild, could hide Ceci's deficiencys. Maybe extend him a year or 2 at a lower price and sucker a team into taking him for a 4th. You know just take him for 1/2 the year and see if there is anything there to work with if not cut him loose.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 5:37 p.m.
I hate this team
Quoting: MaxDomi13
That cap space tho

Lol
Dec. 24, 2019 at 5:53 p.m.
I agree Ceci is overpaid. I suspect a team that plays a more defensive minded game, such as the Wild, could hide Ceci's deficiencys. Maybe extend him a year or 2 at a lower price and sucker a team into taking him for a 4th. You know just take him for 1/2 the year and see if there is anything there to work with if not cut him loose.

Not at the price the you have suggested though. That is too steep for the Leafs. If the offer were...

Ceci + Kapanen + Bracco + Tor 2nd 2020 for Dumba... no problem.

I doubt that the Wild would have interest in that deal though.

There is a reason that Ottawa wanted to include him in that Zaitsev trade.... He sucks! He is not a smart hockey player at all. He makes terrible decisions and he does not drive play at all. For that kind of money, this is a no brainer for me. That pile of garbage has to go.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 6:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

There is this believe from haters that anyone can replace Ceci. Well until the Leafs can replace with as good or better player, he stays a Leaf. Unfortunately it is a more a CapFriendly urban legend that Ceci is so bad as a Leaf. That rumour started in July before he even played a Leaf game . Actually in the first half of the season is far from being the worse Leafs. First eight game, Reilly won that honour and until the Keefe move, Barrie was really bad. But so many Leaf fans though Zaitsev, Hainsey and Gardiner were bad too. Seems a Dman whipping boy is always needed. So regardless of cap, until there is a logical trade that replaces a Leaf regular at RHD, he stays a Leaf.
Dec. 24, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.
There is this believe from haters that anyone can replace Ceci. Well until the Leafs can replace with as good or better player, he stays a Leaf. Unfortunately it is a more a CapFriendly urban legend that Ceci is so bad as a Leaf. That rumour started in July before he even played a Leaf game . Actually in the first half of the season is far from being the worse Leafs. First eight game, Reilly won that honour and until the Keefe move, Barrie was really bad. But so many Leaf fans though Zaitsev, Hainsey and Gardiner were bad too. Seems a Dman whipping boy is always needed. So regardless of cap, until there is a logical trade that replaces a Leaf regular at RHD, he stays a Leaf.

Ceci is GARBAGE that needs to be tossed. It is not about a whipping boy. It is about qualified defensman. Ceci is not one.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll