Forums/Armchair-GM

So here is the layout

Created by: MadLin27
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 29, 2019
Published: Dec. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Leafs actually have a wealth of cap space and forward depth next season. What they don't have is a replacement top 4 defenceman and a back up goaltender.

Either via free agency or trade (most likely), how can they leverage their depth of wingers to acquire a dman and or a back up goalie.

Tradeable assets:
Johnsson
Kapanen
Mikheyev (rights)
Bracco

Plan A) I truly believe the #1 plan is to make a pitch to Pietrangelo. 9.5 x 7 or even 10 x 7.
There is a good chance that he will end up re-signing with the Blues, but I think if he is to test the market, even to see what is out there, the Leafs would be prime candidates to make an offer. In order to sign him and get a goalie better than Hutchinson, the Leafs would have to move a salary. I would guess Kapanen. Leafs could trade Kapanen for a late 1st rounder and make a splash on draft day. Then Leafs could pursue a number of more expensive goaltender options in the 1.5-2.5 million range. This would give them enough space to sign Petro, get a solid back up, and give opportunity to their other young wingers like Bracco, Korshkov, etc to make the team.

Plan B) The Leafs re-sign one of Barrie or Muzzin and have more than enough cap room to sign a goalie and sign a veteran depth dman as well. Issue with this is Barrie hasn't been very good and Muzzin is a LHD. We need a RHD. This would be an easy solution, but would leave the D-core to again be mediocre at best.

Plan C) Explore free agency for some lesser free agents that could supplement the top 4. Hamonic, Tanev, etc... Either of those guys could likely be signed if they slapped a 5x5 in front of either of them. Again, the problem with this is the D would be pretty weak overall.

Plan D) Complete defensive overhaul... If the Leafs feel that the D is the root of their problems, they could make a few moves that would make the group stronger now by sacrificing more long term assets. Trade Dermott who is likely slotted to be a top 4 Dman next year coupled with a prospect like Bracco or someone like Kapanen for a legit 2nd pairing guy. Number one guy I am actually thinking of is Ekholm, but other guys would be Vatanen, Brodin, Gostisbiere, Leddy, etc.... Couple that with trading Liljegren + for another top 4 D. This idea is pretty foolish, but could offer short term results.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$846,000
2$1,850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,550,000
1$725,000
7$10,000,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (CAR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$84,500,000$82,034,116$0$400,000$2,465,884
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$846,000$846,000
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,550,000$1,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 29, 2019 at 11:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You have lost all CapFriendy followers when he say the Leafs have a wealth of cap space next year. 84.5m cap space, roster of 20. Allowing Engvall to leave a UFA, having Bracco on the team, If UFA Holl is important member of defence he certainly signs for more than 1.5m. IMO Dermot does too.
Seeing how bad those long term contract for E Karlsson, Burns and Doughty appear to heading, I don't think any GM think 10m for Pietrangelo is wise.
oneX liked this.
Dec. 29, 2019 at 11:52 p.m.
Breadman likes Bread
That Defense is horrible apart from your top 2
Dec. 30, 2019 at 1:16 a.m.
Quoting: KingLundqvist30

Dermott and Holl have been good in the roles they are in. Holl especially has shown he can play and under Keefe he is playing against much tougher competition.

It's just too bad it took the Babcock firing for Holl to get a bigger role on this roster.
Assuming both Dermott and Holl are back next season, they will have bigger roles by default.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 1:33 a.m.
No regretzkys
Edited Dec. 30, 2019 at 1:41 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
You have lost all CapFriendy followers when he say the Leafs have a wealth of cap space next year. 84.5m cap space, roster of 20. Allowing Engvall to leave a UFA, having Bracco on the team, If UFA Holl is important member of defence he certainly signs for more than 1.5m. IMO Dermot does too.
Seeing how bad those long term contract for E Karlsson, Burns and Doughty appear to heading, I don't think any GM think 10m for Pietrangelo is wise.

LMAO. They do relative to what people think... They have 16 million if the cap stays the same. Cap is expected to go up that much.

Engvall leaving a UFA? Who cares. We aren't talking a top prospect here. Also pretty sure a 2 year deal he would still be an RFA. He would be 25 at the end of it

You may have a point that Holl and Dermott are underpayed, but that is why there is still 2.4 mill in space here. To sign more than 20 on the roster.
I don't ever put 23 on the roster when there is barely any way to speculate who those final roster spots are going to be anyway. They are going to be cheap that is for sure
Dec. 30, 2019 at 1:34 a.m.
No regretzkys

They are young, not horrible.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 6:55 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Who are the top 2? Barrie might be the worse Dman, but he gone next year, as will Ceci and Muzzin.
Horrible defence, compared to who? Rangers despite spending 8m on Trouba, 5.7 on Staal, 5 m on Shatternkirk and Girardi, over 9m on their goaiies have a GAA of 3.23 per games...Leafs 3.24
Dec. 30, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
No regretzkys
Who are the top 2? Barrie might be the worse Dman, but he gone next year, as will Ceci and Muzzin.
Horrible defence, compared to who? Rangers despite spending 8m on Trouba, 5.7 on Staal, 5 m on Shatternkirk and Girardi, over 9m on their goaiies have a GAA of 3.23 per games...Leafs 3.24

Leafs are going to putting a lot of faith in Sandin, Dermott, Holl, Liljegren next year. Which isn't a bad thing. They need to add another top 4 guy to supplement that.

Who do you think the Leafs should/will pursue?
palhal liked this.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: MadLin27
Leafs are going to putting a lot of faith in Sandin, Dermott, Holl, Liljegren next year. Which isn't a bad thing. They need to add another top 4 guy to supplement that.

Who do you think the Leafs should/will pursue?

Think you're right. For cap reasons the Leafs will be depending on the four as you suggested and Reilly. I've maintained the Leafs are going to have a trade a player like 3.2m Johnsson or Kapanen, even if just for futures to get some cap relief to sign another Dman(s). Probably two inexpensive veterans, along what Hainsey was two year ago.
There are so many teams near the cap, trading a player with cap and not getting cap in return is difficult. It just might have to be trade. Carolina might be a good trade partner but lots of competition in acquiring cheap competent Dmen. I have no names now.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 9:05 p.m.
No regretzkys
Think you're right. For cap reasons the Leafs will be depending on the four as you suggested and Reilly. I've maintained the Leafs are going to have a trade a player like 3.2m Johnsson or Kapanen, even if just for futures to get some cap relief to sign another Dman(s). Probably two inexpensive veterans, along what Hainsey was two year ago.
There are so many teams near the cap, trading a player with cap and not getting cap in return is difficult. It just might have to be trade. Carolina might be a good trade partner but lots of competition in acquiring cheap competent Dmen. I have no names now.

Do you not see Pietrangelo as a viable option? He is expensive, but if the Leafs move a Kap or Johnsson they will have enough $ to make a run at him.
Then if Sandin or Liljegren breaks out in the next 2 years we will have a very strong D core.
I'm not saying its the only route, but its plausible.

For trades I would look at Brandon Montour, Colin Miller, Severson, Manson...
Shattenkirk may even be an option if they can get him on the cheap.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 9:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Do you not see Pietrangelo as a viable option? He is expensive, but if the Leafs move a Kap or Johnsson they will have enough $ to make a run at him.
Then if Sandin or Liljegren breaks out in the next 2 years we will have a very strong D core.
I'm not saying its the only route, but its plausible.

For trades I would look at Brandon Montour, Colin Miller, Severson, Manson...
Shattenkirk may even be an option if they can get him on the cheap.

IMO Pietrangelo may not good short term value and definitely not long term value. Others teams really don't want to trade their RHD. So while on CapFriendly folks can make trades of "fair value", there is little motivation for teams to trade their Dmen with years of control especially in the summer Leafs best bet may try to sign some 3rd pairing UFA. A bit of a hammer the Leafs might have in negotiations over some other teams, is the Leafs are a good team with a possible run at the Cup.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 9:35 p.m.
No regretzkys
IMO Pietrangelo may not good short term value and definitely not long term value. Others teams really don't want to trade their RHD. So while on CapFriendly folks can make trades of "fair value", there is little motivation for teams to trade their Dmen with years of control especially in the summer Leafs best bet may try to sign some 3rd pairing UFA. A bit of a hammer the Leafs might have in negotiations over some other teams, is the Leafs are a good team with a possible run at the Cup.

I agree with you that teams don't want to trade their D-men. So the Leafs could either take a risk on a guy like Petro or sign a "3rd pairing D" as you said. But doing that likely means the D isn't strong enough to win a cup. Even with an elite forward group. I rather go all in now than not capitalize on this Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander era.

I also think Pietrangelo is a long-term risk, but I still think he has 2-3 elite years left in him. And if we could get 2-3 elite years and 3 mediocre years I would be ok with that.

They could always table a 9.5 x 6.. Much more reasonable than 10 x 7
Dec. 30, 2019 at 9:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I agree with you that teams don't want to trade their D-men. So the Leafs could either take a risk on a guy like Petro or sign a "3rd pairing D" as you said. But doing that likely means the D isn't strong enough to win a cup. Even with an elite forward group. I rather go all in now than not capitalize on this Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander era.

I also think Pietrangelo is a long-term risk, but I still think he has 2-3 elite years left in him. And if we could get 2-3 elite years and 3 mediocre years I would be ok with that.

They could always table a 9.5 x 6.. Much more reasonable than 10 x 7

I just think spending 9.5 on Pietrangelo weakens the Leafs in other positions cause then they have to be sellers in other positions just to cap compliant.
We'll know in the summer, but the trend might be towards spending more money for young RFAs. I'm sure some of the teams that signed Dmen in their late twenties are having regrets almost immediately. Doughy, Karlsson, Shattenkirk. OK the Leafs table 9.5m X 6....who else that Pietrangelo might seem desirable to play for and live.....offers that. Gotta think there just might be about four teams.
Dec. 30, 2019 at 10:01 p.m.
No regretzkys
I just think spending 9.5 on Pietrangelo weakens the Leafs in other positions cause then they have to be sellers in other positions just to cap compliant.
We'll know in the summer, but the trend might be towards spending more money for young RFAs. I'm sure some of the teams that signed Dmen in their late twenties are having regrets almost immediately. Doughy, Karlsson, Shattenkirk. OK the Leafs table 9.5m X 6....who else that Pietrangelo might seem desirable to play for and live.....offers that. Gotta think there just might be about four teams.

Yeah and I don't disagree with you at all. Signing a 30 year old to a massive deal is high risk, but I also don't want to waste this era because the Leafs D is too weak to go deep in the playoffs.
I think Petro is different though. He is having such a good year this year. He is going to set career highs. Decline would have to happen irregularly fast considering how well he is playing now.

Again, I don't think its the end all be all, but if you can get a player of that calibre without giving up assets you gotta consider it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll