SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Justin Holl (3 Years / $2,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Dec. 31, 2019 at 5:41 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: HabsForEver
After thinking about it, I realized why. On an average team, 2 Million for a 3rd pairing defender isn't bad. Toronto can't afford to giveaway cap like that though.

Gee, if the Leafs were the Habs, they would sign a upcoming UFA or UFA to 4.625m X 4 years deal and then assign him to Laval.
Again the silly notion of ranking Dmen by numbers, the usual unknowing nonsense.
Trickster, oneX, Capitalfail67 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 5:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Laudan
Kaberle - McCabe
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

.....and another 52 years are passing by.....

Thx Muzzin for busting your ass out on every shift so the kids can look good......

Signing Holl for 2m doesn't affect any way the Leafs ability to sign Muzzin. Not saying the Leafs should pay top dollar for Muzzin or that Muzzin even wants to return to the Leafs but geez to get an a competent UFA RHD for 2m...that's a bargain.
GenXHockey, Trickster and oneX liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 5:53 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
So I haven’t been watching the Leafs much this year, so I see “Justin Holl” and “$2,000,000” and I’m obviously very surprised. I didn’t know that Holl had recently become a full-time NHLer.

Yeah I know right? But he has actually been great this year. And matched up against top lines. He’s had a ton of confidence with the puck and really doing well shutting down top lines.

I think it is the steady ice time. He’s been playing with confidence rather than “don’t **** up”
palhal, Trickster, oneX and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Jamiepo
Yeah I know right? But he has actually been great this year. And matched up against top lines. He’s had a ton of confidence with the puck and really doing well shutting down top lines.

I think it is the steady ice time. He’s been playing with confidence rather than “don’t **** up”

Yeah, what has changed with the Leafs.sarcasm ? So many players playing with confidence? The answer. No more lousy coaching of Mike Babcock.applaud
Trickster, oneX and GenXHockey liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: MadLin27
He could easily be a top 4 D man. He has been playing very good top 4 minutes this year. 2 of those 4 defenders you mentioned are likely going to be Sandin and Liljegren. Both ELC dollars. So its really 2 defencemen they need to sign. Mikheyev won't be very expensive with this injury. Would be suprised if he got more than 2.5 million.

This is a great signing. Worst case scenario he is a solid 3rd pairing D man. Best case scenario he continues playing as well as he has and legitimizes as a top 4 shutdown Dman.

He has the 5th highest average ice time for defensemen on the Leafs this season, he isn't being given top 4 minutes.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:13 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Gee, if the Leafs were the Habs, they would sign a upcoming UFA or UFA to 4.625m X 4 years deal and then assign him to Laval.
Again the silly notion of ranking Dmen by numbers, the usual unknowing nonsense.

Maybe we wouldn't overpay for 4 forwards and still have cap space....
rollie1967 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Leafs still have cap space....It's all laid out Leaf signing next are mostly relatively inexpensive RFAS. How is the Leaf top four forwards making 40m much than other teams who are about 35m with some of those players overpaid aging players. Gee Montreal top four players and Alnzer cap hit about 33m, so it's not like the Leafs are crippled by overpaying 4m
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:31 p.m.
Leafs still have cap space....It's all laid out Leaf signing next are mostly relatively inexpensive RFAS. How is the Leaf top four forwards making 40m much than other teams who are about 35m with some of those players overpaid aging players. Gee Montreal top four players and Alnzer cap hit about 33m, so it's not like the Leafs are crippled by overpaying 4m

Montreal's top 4 forwards and Alzner make 18.33 combined. Unfortunately, you can't put all your money in your forwards and expect to win in the playoffs. They are top heavy and most likely won't make it far in the near future. What teams are paying 40 Million for their top 4 forwards?
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Montreal's top 4 forwards and Alzner make 18.33 combined. Unfortunately, you can't put all your money in your forwards and expect to win in the playoffs. They are top heavy and most likely won't make it far in the near future. What teams are paying 40 Million for their top 4 forwards?

Good math. I said the top four players. Nice red herring of you forgetting Price, Weber, Petry and Drouin as the top earner for Montreal . What teams are playing for 23.4m for two Dmen and a goalie. 26.7m cap if you include Alzner and still can't make the playoffs?
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Good math. I said the top four players. Nice red herring of you forgetting Price, Weber, Petry and Drouin as the top earner for Montreal . What teams are playing for 23.4m for two Dmen and a goalie. 26.7m cap if you include Alzner and still can't make the playoffs?

You said top four players to fit your narrative grin grin

No team in the league in their right mind will pay their top 4 forwards 40 million, unless you're Kyle Dubas.

Montreal doesn't have cap problems, I don't know why you are bringing their salary in this.
rollie1967 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 7:02 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Signing a 3rd pairing defensemen for 2 Million is a signing that has to happen? They now have 14 million dollars for 4 other defenders and they have to resign Mikheyev

Hey Habbie,
I'm not saying I like the $2Mil (1.5M is better in my books). I'm saying it's more in that "range" as there's no dough for anything else; should be a few league minimums to round out the squad in 2020.
Cheers
Dec. 31, 2019 at 7:03 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
This man has made people believers in him.
Way to go Holl.

This is well earned and deserved.

Prove the doubters wrong again next year!!!
oneX and thelastlongbow liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 7:13 p.m.
He's playing top 4, but he doesn't belong there. Just because the Leafs are weak at D, doesn't make him a top 4 defensemen.

You aren't watching Leafs games if that's your assessment of Holl. It's too bad it took Babcock being fired for Holl to get a real chance at being a regular.

Keefe has discovered Holl can play against better competition. Happy for Holl.
Trickster liked this.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 8:09 p.m.
He's playing top 4, but he doesn't belong there. Just because the Leafs are weak at D, doesn't make him a top 4 defensemen.

The leafs have better defense than the Habs ... significantly better.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.
Holl is lucky not to be playing beside Schmaltz, Harpur, Marincin and the rest of the Marlies, it was a matter of a coin toss, talent wise it belongs with that AHL group.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.

Price + Weber + Tatar + (Alzner / Weise / Kinkaid ... all buried)

COST THE SAME AS:

Matthews + Marner + Nylander

THREE ROSTER PLAYERS EACH ... LMAO
Dec. 31, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.

Unfortunately, you can't put all your money in your below average goaltenders and expect to MAKE the playoffs ...

What team spends $12,000,000 on goalies + $6,000,000 on salaries buried in the AHL?

That's $18,000,000 just for a 0.890 SV% ....
Dec. 31, 2019 at 8:32 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: McGruff
Hey Habbie,
I'm not saying I like the $2Mil (1.5M is better in my books). I'm saying it's more in that "range" as there's no dough for anything else; should be a few league minimums to round out the squad in 2020.
Cheers

Sandin and Lijegren are certain to be on the team next year who will be the league minimums.

Two million is not an outrageous price for someone who can play comfortably on the second pairing.
Dec. 31, 2019 at 9:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You said top four players to fit your narrative grin grin

No team in the league in their right mind will pay their top 4 forwards 40 million, unless you're Kyle Dubas.

Montreal doesn't have cap problems, I don't know why you are bringing their salary in this.

I really think this just an foolish argument on your part. So what if the Leafs or any team or top heavy in cap or in positions. Doesn't matter as long as those player are signed to fair contracts.
Let's imagine the Leafs need to trade cap/player to create cap space to spend on defence. Matthew, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen are easily tradeable for good value. Only untradable player is NTC Tavares.
Lots of other teams have players they wish could dump next summer but can't because of NTC or NMC. , Rangers, Hawks, Tampa, San Jose, even Montreal
Dec. 31, 2019 at 11:02 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
It’s a solid signing for a guy that can play 4-6. Even if he plays 3rd pairing he’s still a solid defenseman that in a pinch can play 2nd pairing if needed. They need more deal like this. Imo
Dec. 31, 2019 at 11:03 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

You guys don’t want Alzner?
Jan. 1, 2020 at 12:26 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Capitalfail67
You guys don’t want Alzner?

Only because he is a LHD shakes head , we have enough of those. I remember the playoff series between the Leafs and Caps , what April 2017. I watched Alzner a lot knowing he was going to be a UFA. Gee, I thought his foot speed and turning ability was poor back then. It had really declined in a short period.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 12:27 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Only because he is a LHD shakes head , we have enough of those. I remember the playoff series between the Leafs and Caps , what April 2017. I watched Alzner a lot knowing he was going to be a UFA. Gee, I thought his foot speed and turning ability was poor back then. It had really declined in a short period.

Yeah imagine how good Carlson would have been without him holding him down. He was pretty awful. I wish we played Schmidt more and him way way less
palhal liked this.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:19 a.m.
Quoting: drewjenks
The leafs have better defense than the Habs ... significantly better.

Yeah I'm sure they do. just like they have the best everything in the league.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:21 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
He has the 5th highest average ice time for defensemen on the Leafs this season, he isn't being given top 4 minutes.

That’s his average ice time. He was playing low minutes to start the season. Has been playing 20 min a night since.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit