Forums/Armchair-GM

NYR Up to TDL

Created by: Jimbo1119
Team: 2019-20 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 30, 2019
Published: Jan. 1, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Avs get Kreider for the playoff push (and beyond - if desired) and a promising puck moving RD for the future...for the cost of a coveted C who probably projects 2-3 years out.
Kaut or Bowers could also be in the discussion if Newhook is untouchable.

Leafs get help on D for the immediate and future, reinforcement at G- who may be future #1, and a "step down" on wing- who provides a little cap relief (from Nyllander) yet should be productive if put in top 6.

BOS gets needed upgrade on wing, and cap relief for a late 1st
Trades
NYR
BOS
  1. Smith, Brendan ($1,350,000 retained)
  2. Strome, Ryan
NYR
  1. Newhook, Alex [Reserve List]
Additional Details:
2021 3rd if Kreider resigns
COL
  1. Keane, Joey
  2. Kreider, Chris
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (NYR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$74,632,999$0$4,145,000$6,867,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 3
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$833,333$833,333
LD
UFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
UFA - 7
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 3
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 1, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
that avs trade...woof thats a stinker. Easily decline
Jan. 1, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: coga16
that avs trade...woof thats a stinker. Easily decline

Simply out on Kreider?
If not then what would you give to get him? And what would it take for the Avs to part with Newhook or one of their top prospects?
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Jimbo1119
Simply out on Kreider?
If not then what would you give to get him? And what would it take for the Avs to part with Newhook or one of their top prospects?

I’m actually curious as well. Is this a no from NYR or Avs?
Personally rumors had it that CK was going to Colorado this
summer for the 16, but bc NewHook fell, Avs declined the deal.

Also I do like how Chytil is playing, would be tough to move him from being future 2C.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
Simply out on Kreider?

Avs didn’t want to give up the 16th overall pick for kreider at the draft. In no way would they trade they guy they used that pick on for kreider as a rental

Avs are not in the business of trading their top prospects for older players or rentals so nothing the rangers would be willing to give up
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: Philu916
I’m actually curious as well. Is this a no from NYR or Avs?
Personally rumors had it that CK was going to Colorado this
summer for the 16, but bc NewHook fell, Avs declined the deal.

Also I do like how Chytil is playing, would be tough to move him from being future 2C.

Not exactly, they weren’t willing to give up the pick for him regardless who was available. The deal fell apart well before the draft open.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
Not exactly, they weren’t willing to give up the pick for him regardless who was available. The deal fell apart well before the draft open.

I had heard otherwise, guess was wrong.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: Philu916
I had heard otherwise, guess was wrong.

Friedman on Chris Kreider: "Either they're (NYR) going to trade him or they're going to extend him. I think Colorado was looking at him but they didn't want to trade the 16th overall pick for him."

It had nothing to do with the guy available, Avs were not interesting in moving the pick, rangers wanted it and they deal broke apart before the draft started
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Avs didn’t want to give up the 16th overall pick for kreider at the draft. In no way would they trade they guy they used that pick on for kreider as a rental

Avs are not in the business of trading their top prospects for older players or rentals so nothing the rangers would be willing to give up

I totally get the Avs position here...In a similar fashion the Rangers have a bunch of prospects they wouldn't move (I hope!!)...but the difference is that COL is a cup contender. If you like your roster as is to go through probably Dallas, St Louis, Vegas, AND either Boston or Washington...then that's fine...but realistically Kreider adds the size, speed, and toughness so needed in the playoffs. I totally respect the idea of not giving up the future...but it can be a difficult balance in going for the cup now versus giving your team several chances down the road...and keep in mind Kreider should have at least 4-5 good seasons left in him.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
I totally get the Avs position here...In a similar fashion the Rangers have a bunch of prospects they wouldn't move (I hope!!)...but the difference is that COL is a cup contender. If you like your roster as is to go through probably Dallas, St Louis, Vegas, AND either Boston or Washington...then that's fine...but realistically Kreider adds the size, speed, and toughness so needed in the playoffs. I totally respect the idea of not giving up the future...but it can be a difficult balance in going for the cup now versus giving your team several chances down the road...and keep in mind Kreider should have at least 4-5 good seasons left in him.

Kreider to the Avs would be a good fit but you are over rating his value. He is producing at a 2nd/3rd line Winger this season.
He wont get Prime young top prospects back. Look at Hayes trade, he got a 4th line winger and a late 1st round pick back, who is a C and was having a career year offensively. In what world does Kreider demand even the same return being only a Winger (who hold the least position value in trades in the league) and is having a down offensive year.

Team wont be shelling out 1st rounders straight up in a strong draft year for him, he hasn't separated himself from other trade deadline options. If they play down to the wire game again like they did with Hayes and Zucc, teams who wanted him will move on to other options
Jan. 1, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
But Strome has mostly played at C and isn't he better at C than RW? Idk about giving up Heinen+1st.

No thanks, bit too much better deal for NYR than BOS
Jan. 1, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Kreider to the Avs would be a good fit but you are over rating his value. He is producing at a 2nd/3rd line Winger this season.
He wont get Prime young top prospects back. Look at Hayes trade, he got a 4th line winger and a late 1st round pick back, who is a C and was having a career year offensively. In what world does Kreider demand even the same return being only a Winger (who hold the least position value in trades in the league) and is having a down offensive year.

Team wont be shelling out 1st rounders straight up in a strong draft year for him, he hasn't separated himself from other trade deadline options. If they play down to the wire game again like they did with Hayes and Zucc, teams who wanted him will move on to other options

Of course we always compare players' value to the values exchanged in previous trades...but in the end what really sets value is what the market will bear- which is a function of where the teams are, injuries, etc. You may be right... maybe he doesn't bring back a 1st...but if a few teams are bidding the cost will go up. As you mention his numbers this year are down- although he has recently picked up play- but CK will improve any teams chances of getting through the list of teams I gave above... and although (as Rangers fans should know) it's not a good idea to sell out your future- COL has such a deep prospect pool it might not hurt to part with one to really go for the CUP...and don't forget: Keane is included here...he has really been coming along at Hartford and could prove to be a valuable NHL player in a year or two.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
Of course we always compare players' value to the values exchanged in previous trades...but in the end what really sets value is what the market will bear- which is a function of where the teams are, injuries, etc. You may be right... maybe he doesn't bring back a 1st...but if a few teams are bidding the cost will go up. As you mention his numbers this year are down- although he has recently picked up play- but CK will improve any teams chances of getting through the list of teams I gave above... and although (as Rangers fans should know) it's not a good idea to sell out your future- COL has such a deep prospect pool it might not hurt to part with one to really go for the CUP...and don't forget: Keane is included here...he has really been coming along at Hartford and could prove to be a valuable NHL player in a year or two.

Make the trade if it’s there but you can’t make up your own market value bc you think a team can afford to give up more. Look at all the recent winger deadline trades. None involve 1st rounders or top prospects. Kane zucc dzingle nquivst. That’s kreider trade comps and teams use those all the time
Jan. 1, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: bhavikp27
But Strome has mostly played at C and isn't he better at C than RW? Idk about giving up Heinen+1st.

No thanks, bit too much better deal for NYR than BOS

For whatever reason lots of Ranger fans are not enamored by Strome...he played to a 40+ point pace last year...on a terrible team...after he was acquired- but many fans dismiss his production as unsustainable due to shooting %....this year he is on a 75 point pace- yet the same fans dismiss this due to his playing with Panarin...I guess the source of dislike of Strome is the assumption that the Rangers will resign him- and his cap hit and roster spot will block out developing prospects....in any case, since coming to NY- all Strome has done is show he can be a productive player...I think he could be real effective for the Bruins in the 2RW role or 3C/3RW role. And although he has arbitration rights he is RFA this year...so there still is a measure of cost control. The other part of this deal is the cap dump...Backes for Smith (w/retained salary) saves about 3M in cap next year- and Smith should be easy to deal after 7/1 bonus paid because his cap hit will exceed the money owed to him (Ottawa always mentioned as likely to be interested)...The piece Im not too familiar with here is Heinen...I included him because he's listed as a healthy scratch- yet makes 2.8M...if he is that indispensable, another player can be put in his place...the important thing for the Rangers is the late 1st.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Make the trade if it’s there but you can’t make up your own market value bc you think a team can afford to give up more. Look at all the recent winger deadline trades. None involve 1st rounders or top prospects. Kane zucc dzingle nquivst. That’s kreider trade comps and teams use those all the time

What a team can afford to give up has nothing to do with the market...the only thing that affects the market is what and how many teams are involved. Whether a team can afford to deal a prospect only affects whether that team enters the market...and as far as what the market will bare for a winger....Kane did involve a conditional 1st, Zucc had a condition for an upgrade to a 1st (not met due to an OT loss), Nash deal involved a 1st, and Stone deal involved an elite prospect....so I don't think a 1st in a Kreider deal is outlandish....nor is (2) seconds, or a 2nd and a prospect.,,all depends on who is bidding. Also consider- any value given for Kreider is going to be contingent on whether he is seen as a pure rental or someone they think they can re-sign.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
What a team can afford to give up has nothing to do with the market...the only thing that affects the market is what and how many teams are involved. Whether a team can afford to deal a prospect only affects whether that team enters the market...and as far as what the market will bare for a winger....Kane did involve a conditional 1st, Zucc had a condition for an upgrade to a 1st (not met due to an OT loss), Nash deal involved a 1st, and Stone deal involved an elite prospect....so I don't think a 1st in a Kreider deal is outlandish....nor is (2) seconds, or a 2nd and a prospect.,,all depends on who is bidding. Also consider- any value given for Kreider is going to be contingent on whether he is seen as a pure rental or someone they think they can re-sign.

Stone of a top 10 winger In the league, kreider isn’t even close to that

Nash involves a huge contract dump

Compare apples to apples and those players mentioned are his comps and none involved a straight up 1 st round pick or a top prospect,
Jan. 1, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Stone of a top 10 winger In the league, kreider isn’t even close to that

Nash involves a huge contract dump

Compare apples to apples and those players mentioned are his comps and none involved a straight up 1 st round pick or a top prospect,

To deflate Kreider's value based on those trades in't fair...to say Stone is worthy of a top prospect yet Kreider is worth neither a 1st or top prospect...there is more to it than Stone being a better player than Kreider. First- there were other pieces to that trade. Second, Vegas could stomach the value they gave up because Stone (signed days later) wasn't seen as a rental. As far as the Nash deal- the Rangers did retain salary on Nash- but the money was pretty even for the remainder of that year. I guess the huge cap dump you are talking was taking a few years of Beleskey at 1.9M per...but in this deal there were also other pieces. Spooner had some value (at the time) and the prospect involved wasn't seen as a top prospect- but he was seen as a potential NHL player- who now plays regular NHL minutes after call up this year.

Anyway...back to my earlier question- if not willing to part with top prospects in any deal...what would you offer for Kreider? Or are you just not interested?
Jan. 2, 2020 at 4:18 p.m.
For whatever reason lots of Ranger fans are not enamored by Strome...he played to a 40+ point pace last year...on a terrible team...after he was acquired- but many fans dismiss his production as unsustainable due to shooting %....this year he is on a 75 point pace- yet the same fans dismiss this due to his playing with Panarin...I guess the source of dislike of Strome is the assumption that the Rangers will resign him- and his cap hit and roster spot will block out developing prospects....in any case, since coming to NY- all Strome has done is show he can be a productive player...I think he could be real effective for the Bruins in the 2RW role or 3C/3RW role. And although he has arbitration rights he is RFA this year...so there still is a measure of cost control. The other part of this deal is the cap dump...Backes for Smith (w/retained salary) saves about 3M in cap next year- and Smith should be easy to deal after 7/1 bonus paid because his cap hit will exceed the money owed to him (Ottawa always mentioned as likely to be interested)...The piece Im not too familiar with here is Heinen...I included him because he's listed as a healthy scratch- yet makes 2.8M...if he is that indispensable, another player can be put in his place...the important thing for the Rangers is the late 1st.

He was healthy scratched one game. Cassidy wanted to " send a message ". He is one of the best defensive winger for our team and we won't move him, since we need to add a winger in our middle-six, not lose one.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: bhavikp27
He was healthy scratched one game. Cassidy wanted to " send a message ". He is one of the best defensive winger for our team and we won't move him, since we need to add a winger in our middle-six, not lose one.

Fair enough...was surprised to see him listed that way...anyway- the main purpose of this deal was to generate a little cap room for the Bruins all the while adding a middle 6 forward (who RFA this year still carries a measure of cost control)...On the Ranger side they would be adding a late 1st (in a supposedly deep draft) at the cost of taking on additional cap and moving on from a serviceable player (whose resigning may serve to block a prospect or two). Ironically- the cap swap might mutually benefit both teams...Smith might actually provide some D reinforcement while Backes might provide another temporary veteran presence for the Rangers' developing prospects.
If Heinen is off limits (understood) what might the Bruins be willing to part with? Or would they just not be interested in what this deal has to offer?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll