Forums/Armchair-GM

ITS FINALLY MARCHMENT TIME IN TORONTO

Created by: TMLSage
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 1, 2020
Published: Jan. 1, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Maple Leafs have called up Mason Marchment from AHL Marlies and he is going to add a new dimension to the team by adding toughness, energy, heart, extreme competitiveness, sandpaper and size to the team's fourth line. The Leafs have not had a player like him for a number of years.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,141,310$0$467,500$5,358,690
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 1, 2020 at 5:50 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Jamiepo
I wouldn’t call him a liability. He plays well and hard in his own end. Just average I would say.

He's been below average defensively the past two seasons. Im not saying he's doesn't play hard, he's just not effective in his own end. Overall he's still an elite player, but its obvious he struggles defensively.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 5:50 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777
Reilly is actually below average defensively. A Toronto writer for the Athletic wrote an article about how incredible it is that reilly brings so much value even though he isn't good defensively. He doesn't pass the eye test or advanced analytics from a defensive standpoint, but Im sure you'll disagree with that even though its a fact. Reilly is elite offensively, but he is a liability in his own end.

All the analytics suggest he's been saddled with terrible partners for years. That is a fact everyone likes to ignore.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 5:51 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
All the analytics suggest he's been saddled with terrible partners for years. That is a fact everyone likes to ignore.

then why does Ceci have decent defensive metrics this season and Rielly's are poor?
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
GM - Canucks
He was terrible. It's amazing Rielly did as well has he did with Hainsey. He carried him for a season and a half. Rielly has had one good partner in the past 3 years and it's Barrie.

You can not be serious about Hainsey are you? Look at the guy's plus/minus stats while playing in Toronto and they were off the charts good. Also, ask yourself who was Reilly's partner when he exploded offensively last year with the Leafs? Also, ask yourself why would Colorado let Barrie walk if he is such a great defenceman?

I like Barrie but not as Reilly's defensive partner.

Would be interested with other people's opinions on Ron Hainsey as a defenseman in the NHL?
Jan. 1, 2020 at 6:09 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
"The Leafs have not had a player like him for a number of years."

Uh... they had Matt Martin just two season ago, right?
Jan. 1, 2020 at 6:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Isles777
then why does Ceci have decent defensive metrics this season and Rielly's are poor?

That is news to me, for most of the season Ceci has been the only negative Corsi player on the defence. Perhaps that has changed since he was moved to the bottom pair. The pairs defensive metrics were okay to start the season but they weren't great.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 6:20 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: EmpressKayla
"The Leafs have not had a player like him for a number of years."

Uh... they had Matt Martin just two season ago, right?

Wrong, Matt Martin does not bring to the table what Marchmant brings. Marchmant is an expert at getting opposing players pissed off with him, drawing penalities,intimadating while still playing a good team game. Martin was more of a true heavy weight to take on other team's tough guys but becomming too slow to actually make the hits.

You are going to soon realize what Marchant brings to the table in a hurray and it is not going to be fun for opposing teams and their fans. He is more like a Tom Wilson type player who can actually play hockey compared to Martin.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TMLSage
You can not be serious about Hainsey are you? Look at the guy's plus/minus stats while playing in Toronto and they were off the charts good. Also, ask yourself who was Reilly's partner when he exploded offensively last year with the Leafs? Also, ask yourself why would Colorado let Barrie walk if he is such a great defenceman?

I like Barrie but not as Reilly's defensive partner.

Would be interested with other people's opinions on Ron Hainsey as a defenseman in the NHL?

Plus minus means nothing. Ron Hainsey in his first season in TO wasn't bad but he wore out by the end of the season. His last season wasn't good. He definitely lost a step and Rielly had to bail him out a lot. Rielly has legit never had a good partner.

In the near future I think Liljegren is going to be that guy. He's fast and smooth, plays physical and is really good defensively. Two smooth skating defensively aware and smart defenceman who can both pass and skate the puck pit of danger is what the new best defensive defenceman will do. Big, mean stay at home guys aren't nearly as effective as someone that can move the puck and keep up with fast forwards. It's why Parayko is so effective, he's doesn't have as much offense as other top players but he can flat out skate and is defensively sound. Rielly with the right partner has the speed to take chances and if it doesn't go well, he can get back fast while having a speedy partner will mean he's back in position fast as well.

Holl wouldn't be bad either but I think on this team you have Muzzin and Holl being the shutdown line, Rielly and Barrie will create loads of possession and offense and Dermot and Ceci will be sheltered on the 3rd pair. I don't think anyone can deny it's currently working. For every bad defensive game they've had, they've had more where they looked much better. I think the system does lead to some gaffes at times and sometimes it'll cost you a game. But from what my eyes and the record tells me that this team is trending in the right direction. I think the mistakes that lead to the odd man rushes that happen too much will happen less and less, especially in the playoffs. But really I don't see the offense really slowing down much, I wouldn't be surprised if we have 4 point a game players by the end of January.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 6:33 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Plus minus means nothing. Ron Hainsey in his first season in TO wasn't bad but he wore out by the end of the season. His last season wasn't good. He definitely lost a step and Rielly had to bail him out a lot. Rielly has legit never had a good partner.

In the near future I think Liljegren is going to be that guy. He's fast and smooth, plays physical and is really good defensively. Two smooth skating defensively aware and smart defenceman who can both pass and skate the puck pit of danger is what the new best defensive defenceman will do. Big, mean stay at home guys aren't nearly as effective as someone that can move the puck and keep up with fast forwards. It's why Parayko is so effective, he's doesn't have as much offense as other top players but he can flat out skate and is defensively sound. Rielly with the right partner has the speed to take chances and if it doesn't go well, he can get back fast while having a speedy partner will mean he's back in position fast as well.

Holl wouldn't be bad either but I think on this team you have Muzzin and Holl being the shutdown line, Rielly and Barrie will create loads of possession and offense and Dermot and Ceci will be sheltered on the 3rd pair. I don't think anyone can deny it's currently working. For every bad defensive game they've had, they've had more where they looked much better. I think the system does lead to some gaffes at times and sometimes it'll cost you a game. But from what my eyes and the record tells me that this team is trending in the right direction. I think the mistakes that lead to the odd man rushes that happen too much will happen less and less, especially in the playoffs. But really I don't see the offense really slowing down much, I wouldn't be surprised if we have 4 point a game players by the end of January.

Great anaylsis and agree 100% that Leafs are trending in right direction. This team is well on its way to being great and powerhouse team in the NHL and the best part is that all the non-believers have no idea what is happening to the Leafs under the guidance of Keefe and Dubas right now. The Leafs have more great young prospects slow cooking in the oven so the future looks very bright.
Jan. 1, 2020 at 8:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TMLSage
Great anaylsis and agree 100% that Leafs are trending in right direction. This team is well on its way to being great and powerhouse team in the NHL and the best part is that all the non-believers have no idea what is happening to the Leafs under the guidance of Keefe and Dubas right now. The Leafs have more great young prospects slow cooking in the oven so the future looks very bright.

I'd wager most do but really don't want it to work because their teams are still doing the same old thing everyone else is doing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll