Forums/Armchair-GM

wsh trade take two

Created by: Eli
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 2, 2020
Published: Jan. 2, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
WSH has extra goalies and defense. Tor has extra top six forwards. Who does each team target to make both better?

Just one idea here, to show something can work under the cap. What else might they try?
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,609,643$0$202,500-$109,643
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 2, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
Nope from TOR. Too easy, in fact
Jan. 2, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
Banned
I wouldn't trade Kapanen for both Gudas and Kopley. Gudas is nothing. Also Mikheyev isn't leaving TO. Especially after what Dubas did for him when he got his wrist cut.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
One of the rare trades that make the home team worse now and in the future.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:04 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
I wouldn't trade Kapanen for both Gudas and Kopley. Gudas is nothing. Also Mikheyev isn't leaving TO. Especially after what Dubas did for him when he got his wrist cut.

Tor fans have asked about Gudas and Copley, but never make offers. They just keep posting the same nonsensical Bracco for Georgiev nonsense. Good luck!
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:05 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Sorry this is a no. Think leafs are comfortable running what they have. Copley isn’t worth one of those players and neither is Gudas on a rental.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:07 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: MacerV
One of the rare trades that make the home team worse now and in the future.

I'm a Caps fan. Some pretty smart Leafs fans have asked about Gudas and Copley. Gudas played top pair in Philly last year. Copley was top 40 in wins last year, top 50 in GAA and SPCT. The knee-jerk rejections on this site get old.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:08 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Eli
Tor fans have asked about Gudas and Copley, but never make offers. They just keep posting the same nonsensical Bracco for Georgiev nonsense. Good luck!

Not all of them...

Gudas wouldn’t be a horrible addition. Could certainly upgrade ceci but the price is too high when trading with another team that’s competing. I’m sure Toronto would pay with futures but Washington wouldn’t be interested in that.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:08 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Jamiepo
Sorry this is a no. Think leafs are comfortable running what they have. Copley isn’t worth one of those players and neither is Gudas on a rental.

No need to apologize. The Caps are a lot more comfortable with what they have. smile Keep hoping Bracco gets you Georgiev.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:13 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Don't know if Gudas is much of an improvement over the current three Leafs RHD, certainly not at the cost of a good winger with term. Copley is really that much better than the current Hutchinson? If Andersson is injured, certainly isn't going to help the Leafs in a long playoff run.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:19 a.m.
Banned

I don't support any of that. Its just wasting assets. On this site, every player that has a Leaf on his chest is worth about half his actual value and half the Leaf fans on here are panic all the time and drive this ideal that we are desperate for upgrades. TO has been the best team in the League since Keefe took over. For crying out loud, Marincin even looks good under Keefe.
Eli and deleted_1231313_32 liked this.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:22 a.m.
First, ide bet holtby is gone after the year which bring in samsonov with copley as his backup. Second, I dont think they would trade gudas away as he provides valuable depth, washington doesnt really need top 6 forwards... even if this is a huge overpay on torontos side
markykins1 liked this.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:22 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Jamiepo
Not all of them...

Gudas wouldn’t be a horrible addition. Could certainly upgrade ceci but the price is too high when trading with another team that’s competing. I’m sure Toronto would pay with futures but Washington wouldn’t be interested in that.

Tor fans have asked about Gudas and Copley, but never make offers.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:33 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: palhal
Don't know if Gudas is much of an improvement over the current three Leafs RHD, certainly not at the cost of a good winger with term. Copley is really that much better than the current Hutchinson? If Andersson is injured, certainly isn't going to help the Leafs in a long playoff run.

Counting last year and the first half of this year, Copley is 50th in the NHL in wins. He's spent all of this year in the AHL. http://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=wins,savePct&page=0&pageSize=50

Georgiev is slightly better, but what will his next cap hit be, and how does Toronto make that work? Now do you see why Copley has trade value?
Jan. 2, 2020 at 10:39 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: hanson493
First, ide bet holtby is gone after the year which bring in samsonov with copley as his backup. Second, I dont think they would trade gudas away as he provides valuable depth, washington doesnt really need top 6 forwards... even if this is a huge overpay on torontos side

Vanecek has been better the last couple years in the AHL than Copley or Samsonov. Does that translate to the NHL? Who knows.

I hope the Caps can find a way to re-sign Backstrom, Gudas, and Holtby. If not, they might have a hole next year at RHD, and would value either a dirt cheap RHD with term or anything they could trade for one over the summer.

The Caps won with Burakovsky and Connolly on their third line, so they're actually down two top six wings from their top form, due to the salary cap.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:02 a.m.
I'm a Caps fan. Some pretty smart Leafs fans have asked about Gudas and Copley. Gudas played top pair in Philly last year. Copley was top 40 in wins last year, top 50 in GAA and SPCT. The knee-jerk rejections on this site get old.

All teams carry at least two goalies, so Copley scraping into the top 50 isn't exactly overwhelming. He is a backup and has backup value, which in the NHL is generally pretty low (Max like a 3rd round pick) unless you have legitimate starter potential which Copley does not.

Gudas I am definitely interested in, but more so for this off-season as a shorter-term UFA acquisition. Him playing "top pairing" means as much as saying the Leafs let go of their "top pairing" defenseman Ron Hainsey last off-season.

If it was Kapanen for an extended Gudas I could understand that trade for the Leafs in terms of rebalancing the team. But as a rental, it just doesn't make sense, especially when adding Mikheyev into the mix when he should be ready for the playoffs.
hanson493 liked this.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:04 a.m.
Banned

I really like how the "really Smart" leaf fans on here are guys willing to overpay for secondary players. Gudas is going to get about twice as much as he's worth next summer. And that won't be from the Leafs. If they could find the space, I'd maybe bring him on as insurance or to battle with Ceci for the #6 defenceman but he's nothing special and doesn't matter. Copley is a backup that isn't special, he may or may not be a little better than Hutch. It won't mean much to the Leafs.
deleted_1231313_32 liked this.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
Who adds what?
All teams carry at least two goalies, so Copley scraping into the top 50 isn't exactly overwhelming. He is a backup and has backup value, which in the NHL is generally pretty low (Max like a 3rd round pick) unless you have legitimate starter potential which Copley does not.

Gudas I am definitely interested in, but more so for this off-season as a shorter-term UFA acquisition. Him playing "top pairing" means as much as saying the Leafs let go of their "top pairing" defenseman Ron Hainsey last off-season.

If it was Kapanen for an extended Gudas I could understand that trade for the Leafs in terms of rebalancing the team. But as a rental, it just doesn't make sense, especially when adding Mikheyev into the mix when he should be ready for the playoffs.

IRL, trades with extensions happen in the NBA, but not in the NHL. It's just not in the league culture.

Copley's a backup. Agreed. Copley finished 36th in wins last year, which is pretty good for a backup. Of goalies with at least 25 games, he finished 33rd in GAA. The top 31 are starters? I think he's a good backup goalie, but I'm sure you'll tell me his spct in that group makes him just a slightly above average backup goalie. That's true. He's not going to be mistaken for Ken Dryden soon.

I agree that most teams in the NHL have a backup goalie. Toronto has a streaky starter, plus two guys with GAA of 4.03 and 6.00. Hutchinson and Kaskisuo rank 68th and 76th in the NHL in GAA just this year. They are not backup goalies. One is a prospect and one is not. Hutchinson was pretty good last year. Something must have happened. Now the Leafs should look to add a backup goalie.

Tor fans are still divided on that Hainsey trade, but Hainsey will be 39 soon, so I think they made the right move.

As for value, I'm looking at it as the unproven 25 year old rookie for the proven backup on the great three year deal, and the young top nine forward for the tough top four defenseman, but the description says to respond with counteroffers, not insults. If you want to insult guys, I have the patience to give that back.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.
Who adds what?
I really like how the "really Smart" leaf fans on here are guys willing to overpay for secondary players. Gudas is going to get about twice as much as he's worth next summer. And that won't be from the Leafs. If they could find the space, I'd maybe bring him on as insurance or to battle with Ceci for the #6 defenceman but he's nothing special and doesn't matter. Copley is a backup that isn't special, he may or may not be a little better than Hutch. It won't mean much to the Leafs.

When Leafs fans have conversations with each other, they talk about how the team needs to get tougher to stand any chance against Boston. Then when they try to trade for tough guys who can play, they insult the heck out of them. Good luck with that.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:43 a.m.
Toronto probably wouldn't give Kapanen -OR- Mikheyev, much less Kapanen -AND- Mikheyev, for Copley and Gudas.

There is a reason Copley is (in a couple weeks) 28 with only 29 NHL games on his resume, it's because he is not an NHL goalie. At best he is a #3 which is what he is right now. The only reason he was backup last year was because Samsonov was not ready. Copley got a contract that saves him as expansion draft requirement next year.

Toronto counters with Copley and Gudas for Hutchinson, Ceci, 5th
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
Banned
When Leafs fans have conversations with each other, they talk about how the team needs to get tougher to stand any chance against Boston. Then when they try to trade for tough guys who can play, they insult the heck out of them. Good luck with that.

Leaf fans who don't understand hockey think that. Toughness had nothing to do with losing to Boston. Special teams and Babs being an idiot was the difference. TO had the edge in hits in several games. Allowing Boston to score on 50% of their PP was the difference. But like anything on here, if people say it enough, some people start to think it's real. Like how people think Manson is a #1 defenceman. The guy isn't good and hasn't been for 2 seasons but that doesn't matter because fans like him
Eli liked this.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:46 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Yojimbo
Toronto probably wouldn't give Kapanen -OR- Mikheyev, much less Kapanen -AND- Mikheyev, for Copley and Gudas.

There is a reason Copley is (in a couple weeks) 28 with only 29 NHL games on his resume, it's because he is not an NHL goalie. At best he is a #3 which is what he is right now. The only reason he was backup last year was because Samsonov was not ready. Copley got a contract that saves him as expansion draft requirement next year.

Toronto counters with Copley and Gudas for Hutchinson, Ceci, 5th

That's pretty close. Just add Liljegren and a 2nd.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 11:59 a.m.
Of goalies with at least 25 games, he finished 33rd in GAA. The top 31 are starters? I think he's a good backup goalie, but I'm sure you'll tell me his spct in that group makes him just a slightly above average backup goalie. That's true. He's not going to be mistaken for Ken Dryden soon.

Rather high bar

I agree that most teams in the NHL have a backup goalie. Toronto has a streaky starter, plus two guys with GAA of 4.03 and 6.00. Hutchinson and Kaskisuo rank 68th and 76th in the NHL in GAA just this year. They are not backup goalies. One is a prospect and one is not. Hutchinson was pretty good last year. Something must have happened. Now the Leafs should look to add a backup goalie

What happened was the team was garbage for a long stretch, and Babcock only played him on the 2nd half of the back-to-back. If you want to talk about horrible season this year though, by all means. Copley is currently sitting in 37th place for sv% at the AHL level. Leafs prospect Joseph Woll is sitting at 47th while Kaskisuo is sitting in 13th. And you want to know what is better than paying a replacement player $400k more than league min for three years? Paying a replacement player league min for 1 year for each of those three years.

Hutch and Kaskisuo are just as qualified if not moreso to be the backup for the Leafs.

Tor fans are still divided on that Hainsey trade, but Hainsey will be 39 soon, so I think they made the right move.

...Hainsey walked as a free agent.

As for value, I'm looking at it as the unproven 25 year old rookie for the proven backup on the great three year deal, and the young top nine forward for the tough top four defenseman

Proven backup in the AHL, making more than league minimum, and specifically making more than a buriable amount. Someone might take a gamble on Copley for a late pick, but he doesn't have the value of a middle 6 winger even if they are a rookie.

but the description says to respond with counteroffers, not insults. If you want to insult guys, I have the patience to give that back.

Where have I personally attacked you? I said your evaluation is off. If anything you're the one who has attacked other people with the underhanded "well the 'smart leafs fans'" comment.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 12:10 p.m.
Who adds what?
Rather high bar

What happened was the team was garbage for a long stretch, and Babcock only played him on the 2nd half of the back-to-back. If you want to talk about horrible season this year though, by all means. Copley is currently sitting in 37th place for sv% at the AHL level. Leafs prospect Joseph Woll is sitting at 47th while Kaskisuo is sitting in 13th. And you want to know what is better than paying a replacement player $400k more than league min for three years? Paying a replacement player league min for 1 year for each of those three years.

Hutch and Kaskisuo are just as qualified if not moreso to be the backup for the Leafs.

...Hainsey walked as a free agent.

Proven backup in the AHL, making more than league minimum, and specifically making more than a buriable amount. Someone might take a gamble on Copley for a late pick, but he doesn't have the value of a middle 6 winger even if they are a rookie.

Where have I personally attacked you? I said your evaluation is off. If anything you're the one who has attacked other people with the underhanded "well the 'smart leafs fans'" comment.

Obviously there are lots of smart Leafs fans, with lots of different opinions. I complimented the Leafs fans who asked about Gudas and Copley. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I'm sure you're very smart, too. Don't feel left out.

The hard part about comparing stats is that you look at them in situations. Nic Petan is a point a game AHLer but in the NHL it doesn't translate. Kaskisuo played his tail off to try to make the NHL, got there, and put up a 6.0 GAA.

Copley proved he can play in the NHL last year. With the 33rd best GAA of a goalie over 25 games played, he showed he belongs. He lost his spot to a league-wide top goalie prospect. He probably doesn't feel like he has a lot to prove in the AHL. I think a move to any NHL team that needs a backup should be enough to get him going.

I agree nobody's insulting each other in this thread, but it seemed like some comments were excessively negative about Copley. I agree that on paper, Kaskisuo and Hutchinson should be backup goalies. I'm just looking at their NHL results, and I think I"m not alone in wondering if the Leafs will trade for a different backup goalie.

I think the two guys above could get the Leafs Georgiev, but not Georgiev and a top four defenseman with an edge.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
Who adds what?
Rather high bar

Yeah. But lots of AHL goalies come up for just one game and their team stops playing offense to try to give them a shutout. Copley got going as an NHL regular and won a bunch more games than he lost. I like him. His positioning is not at a level with an Andersen or a Holtby but he's athletic enough and driven enough to get by.
Jan. 2, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
Leaf fans who don't understand hockey think that. Toughness had nothing to do with losing to Boston. Special teams and Babs being an idiot was the difference. TO had the edge in hits in several games. Allowing Boston to score on 50% of their PP was the difference. But like anything on here, if people say it enough, some people start to think it's real. Like how people think Manson is a #1 defenceman. The guy isn't good and hasn't been for 2 seasons but that doesn't matter because fans like him

So that's why they traded half their top PK unit, and let another guy walk?

Seems like a strong reaction after a pretty good season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll