Forums/Armchair-GM

Kovi

Created by: ZiggyPalffy
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 3, 2020
Published: Jan. 3, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My friend made an interesting point on the Kovi signing. While everybody is injured, Kovi can help score, really only if he is played in the top 6. They could sell him at the deadline when everybody is healthy and also if aren't in a playoff position. They could trade him for a 2nd rounder or something if he proves his worth, that and his 700k for 1 year would be attractive to a lot of contenders.
Trades
MTL
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (COL)
WSH
  1. Kovalchuk, Ilya
Additional Details:
Example
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
28$81,500,000$77,196,308$0$4,060,000$4,303,692
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$771,666$771,666 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.
Really depending on how he plays in the next month and 1/2. He's worth next to nothing right now.
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:28 p.m.
Jangle29
Lol nobody wanted him, why the hell would they in a months time? He didn't choose to go to Montreal, that was likely the only place offering.
F3ruS liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:30 p.m.
Quoting: Jangle29
Lol nobody wanted him, why the hell would they in a months time? He didn't choose to go to Montreal, that was likely the only place offering.

Nobody wanted him because of what he did in LA. If he can prove to be a solid middle 6 guy, somebody will want him as depth, as of right now, he's worth nothing though.
Jangle29 and ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:32 p.m.
Jangle29
Quoting: HabsForEver
Nobody wanted him because of what he did in LA. If he can prove to be a solid middle 6 guy, somebody will want him as depth, as of right now, he's worth nothing though.

Ya I agree. I just think it's ridiculous how NHL managements can do dumb **** like this and yet it works to get some fans excited. I guess it's not really dumb then if it sells to the fans
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HabsForEver

He actually did good his first season with the Kings, I enjoyed watching him. Kings were not fair to him. 34 points being tied to the 3rd and 4th line with a struggling team and ****ty linemates, not that bad at all...
Billy739 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
Quoting: Jangle29
Ya I agree. I just think it's ridiculous how NHL managements can do dumb **** like this and yet it works to get some fans excited. I guess it's not really dumb then if it sells to the fans

It's still worth the risk. With Montreal's winger injuries, we have nothing left in Laval and we are now using career AHLers as our wingers. Better than nothing.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:41 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Quoting: Bf3351
He actually did good his first season with the Kings, I enjoyed watching him. Kings were not fair to him. 34 points being tied to the 3rd and 4th line with a struggling team and ****ty linemates, not that bad at all...

Is he ever worth a 2nd round right now though? Is he still that good? 2nd rounds in general if pick is good can be a long term solid NHL player... For half a year of Kovi? Hmm... last time i heard about him is he can't defend anymore = not good in playoffs...
Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:15 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: F3ruS
Is he ever worth a 2nd round right now though? Is he still that good? 2nd rounds in general if pick is good can be a long term solid NHL player... For half a year of Kovi? Hmm... last time i heard about him is he can't defend anymore = not good in playoffs...

As is ? No he's not

If he comes here and lights it up with Domi and Suzuki on 2nd line until Drouins return .... Yes
but even if that did happen MTL would likely try to re-sign him as Goal Scorers are always needed in MTL
Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:35 p.m.
Karsenbill
This is super laughable that you think Kovy gets you a 2nd. Have you watched him play in the last few months? You’d be lucky to get a 5th for him
F3ruS liked this.
Jan. 4, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
I don't think anyone is gonna be paying a 2nd rounder for him simply knowing that MTL got him for free and then flipped him to be honest with you haha but I think that is besides the point of the thread.

Its not that the Habs would get a 2nd (if he comes and lights it up for example), its that they'll get "X" for a player that came in and helped them in the short term and brought back an asset and didn't cost them anything to get in the first place.
Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Banned

I stated above that that was an example. Obviously he'd need to do very well which I think he is capable of.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
I stated above that that was an example. Obviously he'd need to do very well which I think he is capable of.

But then why nobody signed him for 701K? You get my point? The stats are there, the eyetest are there, the advanced stats are here. Even if he scores 20 goals in 20 matches. I still wouldn't pay for him a 2nd rounder, if you catch my groove... It's just not worth it for that particular player at any point of this season.

For me max value i would give up for him - no joke: Mike Condon from Tampa.

Does Montreal accept that trade? I would hesitate to give up a 7th rounder. Who knows, that 7th rounder can be a 1% solid player = more value in the long run...
In other words he has right now 0.9% value in my eyes = 8th round = non existant = he stays for remainder of the season there... or you can get Mike Condon wink

The issue again = defensive side of the hockey, you can't go into the playoffs like tampa does every year... 24/7 offense. that leads to 1st round sweeps sometimes... yes if the forwards are hot = cup finals with 3+ goals/game, but that's hard to do... You neeed to go back to your own zone and block shots/disrupt players/check them/crush them.
If you watch hockey long time you should remember what Los Angeles Kings did in those cup years.... that was really gritty hockey, similar to St. Louis... Chicago Blackhawks was all-star team kinda, that's why we lost vs them... they were just better players. Prime Kane vs rookie Kucherov
Well Pittsburgh, they won because they were stacked, but they also could defend, unlike us in last couple years...
That's why until you see Tampa allowing 2.8 goals/game = you can bet huge money we are not winning the cup... unless we score 3.0 goals/game on average = last year it was under 2 goals scored/game ) = sweep, same story vs Washington... game6+7 1 year before... our offense just fails in playoffs, sooner or later... Kovalchuk ain't helping too much if every single player fails to score...

Like what St. Louis Blues did last year. There was no Kovalchuk there... You can go back more years... You need prime players+ superstars+ defense+ hot goalie. Not aging once upon a time elite-forwards, who are on like Milan Lucic levels... i know he is better offensively, but i hope you understand why he signed for 700k... and why his contract was terminated... he would be good in KHL no doubt again though... anyways long -story short = no 2nd rounder from any team, i'm quite sure about that... quote me, if opposite happens...

On the other hand i would pay 2nd rounder(conditional 1st) for Danault + a prospect or 2(Joseph-ABB-Raddysh-Katchouk type of guys)... that guy looks high value for me for playoffs... Is Montreal Canadiens willing to sell that guy? And go for Lafraniere full tank mode...?
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:06 p.m.
a11111
But then why nobody signed him for 701K? You get my point? The stats are there, the eyetest are there, the advanced stats are here. Even if he scores 20 goals in 20 matches. I still wouldn't pay for him a 2nd rounder, if you catch my groove... It's just not worth it for that particular player at any point of this season.

Does Montreal accept that trade? I would hesitate to give up a 7th rounder. Who knows, that 7th rounder can be a 1% solid player = more value in the long run...
In other words he has right now 0.9% value in my eyes = 8th round = non existant = he stays for remainder of the season there... or you can get Mike Condon wink

Do you realize Kovy at TDL cost 77k ? IF he stay in NHL for the rest of the playoffs i could argue with you he would have the best ratio $ for pts EVEN if he finish with a pass in 6 games playoffs !
Imagine if he score just a little ..
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:14 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Quoting: a1111
Do you realize Kovy at TDL cost 77k ? IF he stay in NHL for the rest of the playoffs i could argue with you he would have the best ratio $ for pts EVEN if he finish with a pass in 6 games playoffs !
Imagine if he score just a little ..

You have to realize if he is UFA - 31 teams can call him and offer 3-5 million $. Not a single team did. No 2nd rounder for anybody... Max offer was : 700k... = minimum

Maybe 3 teams called him... and he signed with the closest to playoffs spot = Montreal. He even accepted 2 way contract which was really strange... = Even Montreal didn't had any trust in him... crazy stuff... i know he is not that bad... but that's what happend... 2 way freakin contract...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:18 p.m.
Banned
You have to realize if he is UFA - 31 teams can call him and offer 3-5 million $. Not a single team did. No 2nd rounder for anybody... Max offer was : 700k... = minimum

Maybe 3 teams called him... and he signed with the closest to playoffs spot = Montreal

I didn't realize you were in direct contact with his agent, impressive...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:19 p.m.

So because teams didn't want to waste their own time and assets to determine if Kovalchuk's issues were because of him or the team he was on, no team will want him if he proves he is still capable and the team was most likely the issue? I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
Banned

The issue again = defensive side of the hockey, you can't go into the playoffs like tampa does every year... 24/7 offense. that leads to 1st round sweeps sometimes... yes if the forwards are hot = cup finals with 3+ goals/game, but that's hard to do... You neeed to go back to your own zone and block shots/disrupt players/check them/crush them.
If you watch hockey long time you should remember what Los Angeles Kings did in those cup years.... that was really gritty hockey, similar to St. Louis... Chicago Blackhawks was all-star team kinda, that's why we lost vs them... they were just better players. Prime Kane vs rookie Kucherov
Well Pittsbugh, they won because they were stacked, but they also could defend, unlike us in last couple years...
That's why until you see Tampa allowing 2.8 goals/game = you can bet huge money we are not winning the cup... unless we score 3.0 goals/game on average = last year it was under 2 goals scored/game ) = sweep, same story vs Washington... game6+7 1 year before... our offense just fails in playoffs, sooner or later... Kovalchuk ain't helping too much if every single player fails to score...

Like what St. Louis Blues did last year. There was no Kovalchuk there... You can go back more years... You need prime players+ superstars+ defense+ hot goalie. Not aging once upon a time elite-forwards, who are on like Milan Lucic levels... i know he is better offensively, but i hope you understand why he signed for 700k... and why his contract was terminated... he would be good in KHL no doubt again though... anyways long -story short = no 2nd rounder from any team, i'm quite sure about that... quote me, if opposite happens...

On the other hand i would pay 2nd rounder(conditional 1st) for Danault + a prospect or 2(Joseph-ABB-Raddysh-Katchouk type of guys)... that guy looks high value for me for playoffs... Is Montreal Canadiens willing to sell that guy? And go for Lafraniere full tank mode...?

He signed 700k because he doesn't need the money and he always wanted to play for Montreal...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
I didn't realize you were in direct contact with his agent, impressive...

Im choosing 1-3 million$ guranteed vs 70k $ in the AHL, i don't need to be an agent. I'm also choosing Dallas Stars, Vegas Golden Knights , Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Blues and NOT MONTREAL ever, who has right now 8% to make the playoffs. You are little crazy if you think he denied those teams offers and chosen the AHL!!!! Not the NHL the freakin AHL.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:29 p.m.
Banned
Im choosing 1-3 million$ guranteed vs 70k $ in the AHL, i don't need to be an agent. I'm also choosing Dallas Stars, Vegas Golden Knights , Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Blues and NOT MONTREAL ever, who has right now 8% to make the playoffs. You are little crazy if you think he denied those teams offers and chosen the AHL!!!! Not the NHL the freakin AHL.

He said he always wanted to play in Montreal, why he chose them over a contender is beyond me. He said he was willing to take league minimum all along. All I'm saying is you are mental if you think Montreal was the only offer he got at 700k...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:29 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Quoting: J2W
So because teams didn't want to waste their own time and assets to determine if Kovalchuk's issues were because of him or the team he was on, no team will want him if he proves he is still capable and the team was most likely the issue? I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

DUDE, he was one of my fav player before 2010, i loved every move he made... i know what/who he was... unfortunately age is showing... he is not the same. like Jagr was at age of 40 or Chara. Every player aging differently and NHL is going faster than ever before... Once again, when any trade happens, just quote me... and if Montreal Canadiens gets a 2nd rounder... i will admit i was super wrong and you will look like a genius.
2nd round players are just guys like Toffoli... same LA team... young/strong = everybody wants him, his value probably will be inflated at trade deadline. 2nd round picks are not just flying for KHL/AHL level players... Every team can evelaute every player... cmon man... do you think they don't have eyes? 1 game all you need to check him...(1 scout) or just ask the LA team and why they terminated the contract... this is really simple stuff. I would actually laugh for 1 days straight if any team would be willing to give up that much value... after not getting him for free... nonsense...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
a11111

Maybe 3 teams called him... and he signed with the closest to playoffs spot = Montreal. He even accepted 2 way contract which was really strange... = Even Montreal didn't had any trust in him... crazy stuff... i know he is not that bad... but that's what happend... 2 way freakin contract...

Yes , but im gonna repeat myself . AT TDL on the 700k only 77k is left to pay AND put under salary cap . For example Florida have 100k under the cap (if im not mistaken) they would be able to add Kovy under the cap ! That the hell of an addition for 77k under the cap !
Have a terrible day .
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Edited Jan. 9, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
DUDE, he was one of my fav player before 2010, i loved every move he made... i know what/who he was... unfortunately age is showing... he is not the same. like Jagr was at age of 40 or Chara. Every player aging differently and NHL is going faster than ever before... Once again, when any trade happens, just quote me... and if Montreal Canadiens gets a 2nd rounder... i will admit i was super wrong and you will look like a genius.
2nd round players are just guys like Toffoli... same LA team... young/strong = everybody wants him, his value probably will be inflated at trade deadline. 2nd round picks are not just flying for KHL/AHL level players... Every team can evelaute every player... cmon man... do you think they don't have eyes? 1 game all you need to check him...(1 scout) or just ask the LA team and why they terminated the contract... this is really simple stuff. I would actually laugh for 1 days straight if any team would be willing to give up that much value... after not getting him for free... nonsense...

Where did I say he was getting a 2nd? All I said was that anyone with an understanding of asset management knows why a contender wouldn't bother to sign him after his stint in LA, even though he was putting up 3rd line point totals. I think it's 24 games from his 1st in MTL until the deadline, and if he puts up decent numbers over that stretch he will be an incredible cheap option for some depth scoring. What he gets depends entirely on his play now that he is with a different team.
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:38 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Jan. 9, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.
He said he always wanted to play in Montreal, why he chose them over a contender is beyond me. He said he was willing to take league minimum all along. All I'm saying is you are mental if you think Montreal was the only offer he got at 700k...

You are mental, if you think other teams offered him 3 million $...
But enough of words... i would like to see proof... for contracts offers(701k will do) and not : "i always liked this city." - quotes LUL.
Ristolainen said before season: i hate to play in Buffalo. Trade me... Cool words, guess where he plays now... yes... in Buffalo... What he said couple months ago: i love playing here...
Words = not worth anything...
1 day passed and you say other things when u signed with Washington... You can say .... i always wanted to play here... capital of USA... best city of the world...i can assure you no contender team offered him 701k... don't need to be his agent... i watched him multiple times since he come back... not the same player...as once he was... no 2nd rounder for you...
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Quoting: J2W
Where did I say he was getting a 2nd? All I said was that anyone with an understanding of asset management knows why a contender wouldn't bother to sign him after his stint in LA, even though he was putting up 3rd line point totals. I think it's 24 games from his 1st in MTL until the deadline, and if he puts up decent numbers over that stretch he will be an incredible cheap option for some depth scoring. What he gets depends entirely on his play know that he is with a different team.

He put up decent numbers in LA. Really easy to check... This year like 16 games 9 points. Looks decent to me... Last year... decent numbers.... you can look him up... or you want to see him score 110 points in 80 games?
It was not you who said the 2nd rounder, but you speaked to me so i just replied to you... whatever...
But that's the whole point of the topic only. If and IF he get's traded: What's the return? 2nd rounder or worse...
I'm saying it's worse... and by a large margin = bad topic = poster has no idea about trade values, sorry, no offense, just stating facts, until it's proven otherwise
Jan. 9, 2020 at 5:48 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Quoting: a1111
Yes , but im gonna repeat myself . AT TDL on the 700k only 77k is left to pay AND put under salary cap . For example Florida have 100k under the cap (if im not mistaken) they would be able to add Kovy under the cap ! That the hell of an addition for 77k under the cap !
Have a terrible day .

ignore list, bye... florida has cap space for anybody, just like any other team... 70k lulz... glad you made your point with your last sentence... at least next time i don't waste my time repling to you...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll