Forums/Armchair-GM

Would You Do That Trade

Created by: leaflet
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 3, 2020
Published: Jan. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Sandin just had a terrific performance at the juniors, once again. 4 points in the semi-final game. His value is huge.

Assuming Rielly and Dermott stay on the left side of our blue line, would you consider trading Sandin at the draft for Jamie Drysdale, the top prospect RHD? Or else a top RHD who's already in the NHL?

Long term, the top 4 could become

Rielly - Drysdale
Dermott - Liljegren
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Drysdale, Jamie
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
    Jamie Drysdale, whichever team picks him. At the cost of immediate gains, Toronto gets a younger, but right-handed top prospect.
    BUF
    1. Sandin, Rasmus
    Additional Details:
    That team gets a top defensive prospect who is NHL ready, and help turn the team into a contender immediately in 2020.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    12$84,500,000$66,830,616$0$0$17,669,384
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 4
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
    That’s a good idea tbh
    leaflet liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:06 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    god, if Sandin is so NHL ready, why would the Leafs hurt their Cup chances in 2021 by trading for futures. This fascination with RHD again.
    OldNYIfan, Random2152, oneX and 2 others liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
    GM - Canucks
    I think it would be absolutely crazy for the Leafs to trade Sandin. The Sandman has the potential to be a number one pairing defenceman on the Leafs for years and not a chance he is going to be traded. Would not be surprise if Leafs recall him this year as looks like they are now becomming serious Cup contenders under Keefe running the bench.
    OldNYIfan and Trickster liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:14 p.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    god, if Sandin is so NHL ready, why would the Leafs hurt their Cup chances in 2021 by trading for futures. This fascination with RHD again.

Quoting: TMLSage
    I think it would be absolutely crazy for the Leafs to trade Sandin. The Sandman has the potential to be a number one pairing defenceman on the Leafs for years and not a chance he is going to be traded. Would not be surprise if Leafs recall him this year as looks like they are now becomming serious Cup contenders under Keefe running the bench.

Yeah I know. He's not an asset I would seriously consider trading, unless the return is really high. With the tournament he just had, he'll probably fast-track his way into the lineup very quickly.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:18 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    You wanna suggest trading Sandin for Ryan Pulock or Brandon Carlo, okay, that has merit although it's reaching too far. Trading Sandin for Scott Mayfield or Connor Clifton (who are actually already in the NHL) would be a short-sighted move and, in my opinion, a real howler; but trading Sandin for a defensive prospect is just cuckoo. Is there any reason to believe that Sandin won't be as good as Cale Makar? If you are seriously thinking about trading Sandin, may I point out that Olli Juolevi was considered just as highly as Jamie Drysdale?
    leaflet liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    No. Leafs are not trading Sandin. I believe Sandin is one of the untouchables in any realistic trade scenario.
    TheMooterus and Random2152 liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: leaflet
    Yeah I know. He's not an asset I would seriously consider trading, unless the return is really high. With the tournament he just had, he'll probably fast-track his way into the lineup very quickly.

Leafs seem pretty set a LHD this year. Reilly, Dermot, and Muzzin. The much maligned Marincin has been OK too now that he's playing. The RHD especially has been steady too in the last month Barrie, Ceci and Holl. Can't see Sandin in the lineup unless there are more injuries this year. But the Leafs are depending on Sandin and Liljegren being Leaf regulars next season.
    leaflet liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:29 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    ****ing no are you stupid?!?!?! Sandin is leagues above every other dman at his age (not in the NHL) and it isn't close.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    You wanna suggest trading Sandin for Ryan Pulock or Brandon Carlo, okay, that has merit although it's reaching too far. Trading Sandin for Scott Mayfield or Connor Clifton (who are actually already in the NHL) would be a short-sighted move and, in my opinion, a real howler; but trading Sandin for a defensive prospect is just cuckoo. Is there any reason to believe that Sandin won't be as good as Cale Makar? If you are seriously thinking about trading Sandin, may I point out that Olli Juolevi was considered just as highly as Jamie Drysdale?

I'm just exploring the possibilities here, knowing too well this would be a serious move. But there are real concerns behind it.

My concerns are twofold:

1) I think our team still struggles defensively, and that it will come back to haunt us in the future. We have many defensemen with a similar style (modern-style, offensive-oriented, not the robust type that will do the heavy lifting in our own zone). 2) Next year in particular, we lose three UFAs, and we just can't afford to bid for players on the UFA market to fill in these spots, due to cap concerns.

Suppose Sandin makes it into the lineup next year. An almost sure bet. He could be as good as Makar (or close to it, though not quite, I would think). Then we have Rielly-Sandin-Dermott on the LHD. Three players not really minded on the defensive side of the game. None of them really suited to block shots or do the dirty work on the PK.

Take Makar or Girard with Colorado. They're doing really well. But they have a Zadorov and Johnson behind them. It gives balance to their lineup.

(BTW, Carlo or Mayfield would be perfect on our team next year. But I wouldn't trade Sandin for them - a forward, instead. He has more value than that to me.)

Finally, Drysdale is already above 1 PPG at 17 in the OHL. Juolevi never was. Point taken, there's a big risk. Although he is a legit prospect, I think, and the kind who would fit well for the team's future.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
    Quoting: Random2152
    ****ing no are you stupid?!?!?! Sandin is leagues above every other dman at his age (not in the NHL) and it isn't close.

Thanks for being so respectful in sharing your disagreement, as usual.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.
    Subbanator

Alexander Romanov says hi.

And Drysdale is a projected top 10 pick. Sandin isnt worth a top 10 pick right now.
    Tmclean64 and GMs liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
    Canucks
    Sure didnt look great on that 1 on 1 in OT..
    Subbanator7667, GMs and HabsForEver liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.
    Subbanator
    Craig Button is paid by the same owners of the Leafs and you fans are lapping it up. Sandin is good, will be a solid top 4 dman but he wasnt the best dman at this tournament, he was 1 of 3 that I would day were top defenders, Sandin, Romanov and Seider were all stand out this tournament. Differences being, Romanov played in the harder side of the tourney, and Seider played on the worst of the three teams.

Where they all end up is going to be interesting but stop pretending that he didnt play in the best D core in the tourney, played against easier teams and that this tournament makes him worth the top defensive prospect in one of the deepest drafts of recent years.
    GMs liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: Subbanator7667
    Alexander Romanov says hi.

And Drysdale is a projected top 10 pick. Sandin isnt worth a top 10 pick right now.

Hmmm, habs fan overvaluing a habs prospect. That has never happened before.

Sandin is already an NHL calibre dman, arguably a 4-5 as if this minute. You are either being biased or not paying attention if you don't think he is the best dman not in The NHL right now.

Sandin would absolutely be a top 10 pick In a Re draft at this time
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:12 p.m.

Sandin is already an NHL calibre dman, arguably a 4-5 as if this minute. You are either being biased or not paying attention if you don't think he is the best dman not in The NHL right now.

Sandin would absolutely be a top 10 pick In a Re draft at this time

LMAO
    GMs liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:12 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: leaflet
    Thanks for being so respectful in sharing your disagreement, as usual.

Hey, let's trade our best prospect who is known commodity who is the best dman not in the NHL (unless you're a hack) for someone else.

Yeah, respect is not needed for something like that
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
    Subbanator

A Leafs fan overvaluing thier players, no surprise when spoon feed everything by TSN and Sportsnet, both owned by the Leafs.

Saying he is that far ahead of other players is where the arguement is. Him and Romanov are the same age, Seider is a year younger, those are the best 3 in the tournament. As for best not in the NHL its between him and Romanov, they're just two different types of dmen.
    GMs liked this.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: HabsForEver
    LMAO

I mean, you can just look at re drafts and scouting reports. Or watch him. Or look at his metrics. They all back up my position
    Quoting: palhal

This. To add to it, Leafs will need players (specifically D) on ELC deals in order to be at/under the cap. I have a hard time believing that a team will trade for Sandin and give up a RHD on an ELC deal.

That at part sounds like a lateral move for any team.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.

Craig Button #1 dickrider !
    Romanov is better than Sandin or equal tbh but damn you’re annoying
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
    I mean, you can just look at re drafts and scouting reports. Or watch him. Or look at his metrics. They all back up my position

Is that what TSN tells you?
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: Subbanator7667
    A Leafs fan overvaluing thier players, no surprise when spoon feed everything by TSN and Sportsnet, both owned by the Leafs.

Saying he is that far ahead of other players is where the arguement is. Him and Romanov are the same age, Seider is a year younger, those are the best 3 in the tournament. As for best not in the NHL its between him and Romanov, they're just two different types of dmen.

See my response to the other habs fan. Everything backs up my position. Metrics, eye test, scouting reports, re drafts all of it. Hell this is a thing:

https://mobile.twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1213501278942384134
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JokkeNevalainen/status/1213492657521074183
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CraigJButton/status/1213481725474549761
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: GMs
    Craig Button #1 dickrider !
    Romanov is better than Sandin

Lol no. Watch him, or look at metrics, or scouting reports, or anything rather than just spewing your biased opinion like it's fact
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
    Lol no. Watch him, or look at metrics, or scouting reports, or anything rather than just spewing your biased opinion like it's fact

Dude I watched almost every games, Sandin Romanov & Seider were the best, Romanov didn’t do a SINGLE mistake all tournement ! Just look at the overtime goal and tell me Sandin defend well ...
    Subbanator7667 and Tmclean64 liked this.
    Jan. 4, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.

The only thing you've sent is 3 tweets that were opinions, and were massively contested in the comments.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll