Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander Has Been Scratched For Three Straight Games

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 6, 2020
Published: Jan. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Looking at the team that has been on the ice the last three games, no Nylander should not be playing and from that angle, I have no issue with him in the press box.

That being said, they took at huge risk by going out and getting this guy. He's a piece that this front office really wanted for the future. We could talk about how awful that trade was until we're all blue in the face, but we have this player, with a lot of upside, who this front office gave up a lot for. I have no idea what their plan is with Nylander's development, but something tells me that benching him is not the right course of action.

If it were up to me, I'd move him back down to the 4th line with Carpenter and Smith. When they played together earlier this year, it looked like Nylander was making some progress defensively and there was less pressure on him to produce offensively. That's the role I'd like to see him in for the rest of the year and then next year, assuming he's still with the team, try him back out in the top-6. If he struggles or pouts in the bottom-6, he's still waiver exempt. He can go to Rockford and hopefully make some progress up there.

But what does everyone else think? I'm genuinely interested in hearing how other people see it. I don't know what they're doing with him and would like to reiterate, for the 678th time, that Jokiharju for Nylander was an awful trade that should've never happened. But he's here and we've gotta make the best out of it
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$60,121,686$0$7,665,000$21,378,314
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 6, 2020 at 10:34 a.m.
exo2769
Good post. I've been vocal about the exact same thing. There's zero shame in be productive on the 4th line. IN FACT, that's what playoff teams need. Production on the bottom pair. I'd do exactly as you're saying. I don't mind the healthy scratch, but I wouldn't keep him on the bench too much longer.

***EDIT*** worst trade of Bowman's career IMO. What's the #1 thing the Hawks need. A 2-way RD on a cap friendly deal...wonder where we could get one of those...
Jan. 6, 2020 at 10:40 a.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: exo2769
Good post. I've been vocal about the exact same thing. There's zero shame in be productive on the 4th line. IN FACT, that's what playoff teams need. Production on the bottom pair. I'd do exactly as you're saying. I don't mind the healthy scratch, but I wouldn't keep him on the bench too much longer.

***EDIT*** worst trade of Bowman's career IMO.

I still don't like the Danault trade, that deal did absolutely nothing for us. But this could be a close number 2 if Nylander doesn't work out.

And thanks. Plenty of talented players start in the bottom-6, quietly produce and learn and work their way up. Carpenter and Smith aren't the most skilled guys but both work hard and seem to be good teachers. They helped Dach along earlier this year and while he still needs a lot of work, I think his game is a little more complete now than when he started. Nylander is a much different player, but maybe some sustained time together will have a similar effect.
exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 10:42 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
I still don't like the Danault trade, that deal did absolutely nothing for us. But this could be a close number 2 if Nylander doesn't work out.

And thanks. Plenty of talented players start in the bottom-6, quietly produce and learn and work their way up. Carpenter and Smith aren't the most skilled guys but both work hard and seem to be good teachers. They helped Dach along earlier this year and while he still needs a lot of work, I think his game is a little more complete now than when he started. Nylander is a much different player, but maybe some sustained time together will have a similar effect.

I hear ya about Danault, but I can at least appreciate "going for it" Not that either of Weise or Fleischman did anything.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
I did not expect him to be scratched for three games, considering we are playing Quenneville, Sikura and Highmore over him, all who are call ups. I do think Nylander gets in next game on the 4th line, taking Highmore's spot. It would be nice to have a little offensive ability on the 4th line. Smith and Kampf can grind it out fairly well but need someone to finish for the work they put in.

This trade has been beyond disappointing. I was a huge fan of Joki and it hurt to see him traded like that. Joki has been playing over seasoned d men in Buffalo while Nylander can't even make the lineup over call ups. Nylander's upside is there. Hopefully he can blossom in the next few years.
exo2769 and Canucks_Hawkey liked this.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 10:48 a.m.
B
Maybe he caught it from Hossa ?
Jan. 6, 2020 at 11:26 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Edited Jan. 6, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
Danault, Teravainen, and Jokiharju were awful trades. I still remember looking at my phone in disbelief when that notification came through.

That being said, Nylander over Highmore. Sikura has speed and now that he’s finally scored, maybe some flood gates will open.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
I don't understand why Colliton keeps scratching him. Nylander is easily better than Quenneville outright, and he's also better than smith, even on the 4th line, because Kampf at least has offensive upside that they can actually make plays if Smith didn't have bricks for hands. Nylander should be in the lineup over either one of them. Not saying I endorse the trade, it was ****ing brutal, but to say Nylander isn't one of the 12 best forwards on this team is absolutely stupid
ChiHawk and Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 11:42 a.m.
The CEO of reported
I honestly think if he can play an entire season with good minutes and switching between good line mates, he can become a 20-30 point scorer next season
Jan. 6, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: RomanPolak
I honestly think if he can play an entire season with good minutes and switching between good line mates, he can become a 20-30 point scorer next season

So basically you think this is his ceiling?
Jan. 6, 2020 at 12:39 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Danault, Teravainen, and Jokiharju were awful trades. I still remember looking at my phone in disbelief when that notification came through.

That being said, Nylander over Highmore. Sikura has speed and now that he’s finally scored, many some flood gates will open.

Quoting: ForsbergForVezina

I think the Shaw trade is proving to be also one of Bowman's worst. 2nd and 3rd rounder for a $3.9m cap hit and a guy coming in with 3 concussions in his last two seasons now with a massive concussion and could retire. So we basically gave MTL a 2nd and 3rd rounder to have to juggle a $3.9m cap hit with nothing in return.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
Thanks for Joki! He has been our best defender this year (on a team with Dahlin).

This is pretty par for the course on what we have seen from Nylander over the past few years. They cant put him on the 4th line because he pouts and does not produce (same thing as with the AHL). Nylander has a ton of talent, he just has to be in the perfect spot to get it out of him.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Greysuits
Thanks for Joki! He has been our best defender this year (on a team with Dahlin).

This is pretty par for the course on what we have seen from Nylander over the past few years. They cant put him on the 4th line because he pouts and does not produce (same thing as with the AHL). Nylander has a ton of talent, he just has to be in the perfect spot to get it out of him.

I think Dylan Strome gave everybody false hope that simply change of scenery for these top talent guys will make them produce to potential.
ForsbergForVezina and ChiHawk liked this.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: RomanPolak

Point scorer or goal scorer? Big difference lol
Jan. 6, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: TheJonSnow
I did not expect him to be scratched for three games, considering we are playing Quenneville, Sikura and Highmore over him, all who are call ups. I do think Nylander gets in next game on the 4th line, taking Highmore's spot. It would be nice to have a little offensive ability on the 4th line. Smith and Kampf can grind it out fairly well but need someone to finish for the work they put in.

This trade has been beyond disappointing. I was a huge fan of Joki and it hurt to see him traded like that. Joki has been playing over seasoned d men in Buffalo while Nylander can't even make the lineup over call ups. Nylander's upside is there. Hopefully he can blossom in the next few years.

Quoting: SlickWilly
I don't understand why Colliton keeps scratching him. Nylander is easily better than Quenneville outright, and he's also better than smith, even on the 4th line, because Kampf at least has offensive upside that they can actually make plays if Smith didn't have bricks for hands. Nylander should be in the lineup over either one of them. Not saying I endorse the trade, it was ****ing brutal, but to say Nylander isn't one of the 12 best forwards on this team is absolutely stupid

I don't necessarily mind giving Quenneville a shot -- he too was a recent high draft pick. He's been successful at the AHL level in the top-6, so perhaps they wanted to see if that could translate. It hasn't and I think the experiment probably ends soon. But like I said, I don't want Nylander up with Toews either, not now at least. Smith too serves a purpose, I like him at lot in a limited role. I suppose it would be Highmore who sits if Nylander is brought back in, which is disappointing because I've been impressed with him, but so be it.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Greysuits

You're welcome lol.

But like I said, he was working in the bottom-6, but management or the coaching staff or whoever jumped the gun and moved him before he was ready. I don't know how long it will take and perhaps that's the trap we're going to fall into with him, but he needs like a month or two of success on the 4th line before I'm convinced he's ready for bigger things. Hopefully the organization feels the same way
Jan. 6, 2020 at 6:15 p.m.
I would have him in over Quenniville right now. If we are to drop him down the lineup, could also shift Sikura to the top line and put Nylander with Kane though defensively thats a weak line even with Carpenter. I still believe that Nylander has some talent in there, its just a matter of getting the best out of him. He doesn't have to be his brother but at least some solid effort would be super appreciated.
Jan. 6, 2020 at 11:11 p.m.
Executive Director
Edited Jan. 6, 2020 at 11:35 p.m.
Quoting: SlickWilly

Nylander doesn't seem to fit in with Colliton's new "cycle the puck OR get traffic at the net and shoot" strategy. Nylander's a "create chances off the rush" player. Maybe Colliton can play him with Strome and Debrincat? They also prefer making plays off the rush over cycling or crashing the net. Problem is that they seem to try and stick handle the puck into the net. PP goals, deflections and screening goalies on shots is the most reliable way to score in this league now. Goalies are just tooo good and defenses tooo tight-checking to make rush plays a winning strategy. Hopefully Nylander can adapt...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll