Forums/Armchair-GM

A Question of Desire

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 8, 2020
Published: Jan. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let me say, right off the bat, god do I love Boqvist! Smooth skater, great shot, and excellent passing. Defense might be making some improvement, but that's still a little ways off. But man, I do love this kid so much.

As for the game tonight, boy this team is such an enigma. Does this team lack desire? I mean really, there are just some nights where I do wonder if its all or nothing. Yes, the scoreboard read 2-1, but if they even turned it to 50% effort tonight, that's an easy win, as the flames didn't look that strong themselves. Instead, we got maybe 10% effort and a few costly mistakes. Case in point, the second flames goal. Dach fails to get the puck deep from the neutral zone, and flames turn it over and get it deep. After a sequence, Kane tries a touch pass that seemingly was for either cat (I think) or Dach. In either case, Cat was way to far away which leads me to believe it was meant for Dach. Dach unfortunately doesn't react fast enough (sensing a pattern there), and Tkachuk makes us pay with the turnover. There was some great moments of promise in this game, but there is just a genuine feeling in my gut that this team just doesn't take the chances they should and fail to capitalize on other teams mistakes. I really hope fatigue is the answer, but in of itself is deeply concerning too. Aghhhhh, typical of this season's roller coaster ride.

As a side note, I know Dach wasn't ready for it and Tkachuk actually put his shoulder into it a little, but that "hit" after the second goal was kind of hysterical. Hope Dach can get stronger on his feet, cuz I really didn't expect that.

IGNORE THE KRYS BUYOUT. Accidental
Trades
CHI
  1. Stephenson, Chandler
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
  3. 2021 4th round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Not sure how the Knights view Stephenson or his value, but I love this guy.
VGK
  1. Gustafsson, Erik
  2. Nylander, Alexander
Additional Details:
Gus easily QBs the VGK PP, and Nylander may actually be able to thrive in their style of play.
CHI
  1. Fleury, Haydn
  2. Reimer, James
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (NYR)
  4. 2020 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
What is Fleury's value right now? Also, we take on Reimer's full value.
CAR
  1. Crawford, Corey ($3,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
After seeing Reimer tonight, be honest Canes fans, Crow wouldn't be all that bad for you guys.
CHI
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. Kapanen, Kasperi
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Saad, Brandon ($2,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
This one is strange. No one has a full concensus on Saad's value. I can just hear the comments coming........
PIT
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$57,433,353$0$9,665,000$24,066,647
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$1,050,000$1,050,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 8, 2020 at 2:24 a.m.
Banned
No no takesy-backsy we like Kahun
HatterTParty liked this.
Jan. 8, 2020 at 2:24 a.m.
Hawks aren’t retaining more then $1M, you can count on that and not should they. That said, highly debatable if they should trade him for anything less then a major overpayment.

That hit on Dach should have been a flat out penalty. I can’t imagine any fan of the Hawks finding that hysterical. Hatter, your disdain for Dach is going too far to think a dirty hard hit that could have easily ended in injury is hysterical.
Kyle_Davidson, exo2769 and CFMan liked this.
Jan. 8, 2020 at 2:38 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
This is more of a general comment about the hawks, but this also applies to this post.

The worst time to trade Nylander is right now, the season is *probably* lost and now is the time of the season that we should focus on developing younger players. Nylander is a part of that group and trading him when his value is at an all time low is the worst move you could make.

So please stop trading Nylander, if you feel the need to show your dislike of him feel free to stick him in the minors, but trading him is shortsighted and dumb in my opinion.
exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2020 at 3:03 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: ChiHawk
Hawks aren’t retaining more then $1M, you can count on that and not should they. That said, highly debatable if they should trade him for anything less then a major overpayment.

That hit on Dach should have been a flat out penalty. I can’t imagine any fan of the Hawks finding that hysterical. Hatter, your disdain for Dach is going too far to think a dirty hard hit that could have easily ended in injury is hysterical.

Dirty, yeah a bit. Hard, not really. Could have been a penalty but it was funny.
HatterTParty liked this.
Jan. 8, 2020 at 8:12 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Jan. 8, 2020 at 8:28 a.m.
I was at the game last night. It's always good to be back to into the UC and see it live. I didn't go home and dissect any footage so the following are just things I noticed during the game. I was VERY impressed with Boqvist live. Poise with the puck that we all already know about, but I even noticed him with a little physicality. (I did go get one thing...23:08 ATOI last night...wow yeah) As of this morning...I want him to stay with Keith for the rest of the season. There's no one to learn better from and yeah, I know that Dpair isn't the biggest, but he's learning and it's exactly what I want to see these young guys doing. I think this what @Stan_Bowman was talking about and for Boker, they're following through with it.

As for the desire question. I have zero questions about the desire of Toews/Murphy/Keith/Kampf/Gilbert/Maatta. I mean (2) 5v3 against and you beat them both?!?! That was tremendous effort and the UC was a smart crowd roaring at the end of them both.

Kirby and the hit....
Unfortunately, I did NOT see the hit on Dach live. People suck sometimes... I did go see Jamer break it down at the 2nd intermission. With that said...PRIOR to be actually seeing the hit. I was happy to see Kirby get up and talk back to Tkachuk at the dot the very next time they were on the ice. I was happy to see a little edge in Kirby. He didn't like it and Matthew Tkachuk is a guy that wants to play over the edge. Tkachuck wants to be reined in by the refs and Toronto. In his mind...he didn't go far enough if the league didn't take action. So while it was clearly late and clearly a cheap shot.....welcome to the NHL Kirby. You gotta know where these guys are on the ice. Guess who's next...Auston Watson...then Josh Manson... So again, I'm happy Kirby's ok first at foremost. I don't ever want see ANYONE hurt. I'm happy with JC's and management's decision to play him a lot. This is part of Kirby's development. This is the NHL and you can't tee up questionable situations to Tkachuk or Marchand or Tom Wilson or lots of guys all around the league. They know this isn't the WHL. They're going to hit you and let other people decide whether it was ok or not. I want Kirby to keep at it! He's a tough customer. As a side note. Being relaxed and received a hit when you aren't expecting it is NOT a sign of physical weakness. Heck Kane actually put a check on to Lucic last night...that's honestly more surprising to me than a relaxed big guy taking a seat.

***EDIT*** as a side note. You still have time to edit the Chad Krys buyout without affecting the team or any comments. Just go to edit and click the "x" next to him in the buyout section. smile cheers!
Jan. 8, 2020 at 8:34 a.m.
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
This is more of a general comment about the hawks, but this also applies to this post.

The worst time to trade Nylander is right now, the season is *probably* lost and now is the time of the season that we should focus on developing younger players. Nylander is a part of that group and trading him when his value is at an all time low is the worst move you could make.

So please stop trading Nylander, if you feel the need to show your dislike of him feel free to stick him in the minors, but trading him is shortsighted and dumb in my opinion.

So, this might be the easiest post to respond to.

Full disclosure, I only put nylander in the Vegas trade because I didn’t really know who to add to the trade. Could be a number of other people though. So honestly, it’s not coming from a place of disliking him.

To your point of development, completely agree! I’m all on board for focusing solely on their development for the rest of the year. If anything, maybe this year can turn into a remake of the 07-08 season where the next year is a big turning point. So I completely agree with you there. I do hope nylander can be turn a corner with that plan in place, but he’s gotta show some more drive and effort.
Jan. 8, 2020 at 6:43 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I was at the game last night. It's always good to be back to into the UC and see it live. I didn't go home and dissect any footage so the following are just things I noticed during the game. I was VERY impressed with Boqvist live. Poise with the puck that we all already know about, but I even noticed him with a little physicality. (I did go get one thing...23:08 ATOI last night...wow yeah) As of this morning...I want him to stay with Keith for the rest of the season. There's no one to learn better from and yeah, I know that Dpair isn't the biggest, but he's learning and it's exactly what I want to see these young guys doing. I think this what @Stan_Bowman was talking about and for Boker, they're following through with it.

As for the desire question. I have zero questions about the desire of Toews/Murphy/Keith/Kampf/Gilbert/Maatta. I mean (2) 5v3 against and you beat them both?!?! That was tremendous effort and the UC was a smart crowd roaring at the end of them both.

Kirby and the hit....
Unfortunately, I did NOT see the hit on Dach live. People suck sometimes... I did go see Jamer break it down at the 2nd intermission. With that said...PRIOR to be actually seeing the hit. I was happy to see Kirby get up and talk back to Tkachuk at the dot the very next time they were on the ice. I was happy to see a little edge in Kirby. He didn't like it and Matthew Tkachuk is a guy that wants to play over the edge. Tkachuck wants to be reined in by the refs and Toronto. In his mind...he didn't go far enough if the league didn't take action. So while it was clearly late and clearly a cheap shot.....welcome to the NHL Kirby. You gotta know where these guys are on the ice. Guess who's next...Auston Watson...then Josh Manson... So again, I'm happy Kirby's ok first at foremost. I don't ever want see ANYONE hurt. I'm happy with JC's and management's decision to play him a lot. This is part of Kirby's development. This is the NHL and you can't tee up questionable situations to Tkachuk or Marchand or Tom Wilson or lots of guys all around the league. They know this isn't the WHL. They're going to hit you and let other people decide whether it was ok or not. I want Kirby to keep at it! He's a tough customer. As a side note. Being relaxed and received a hit when you aren't expecting it is NOT a sign of physical weakness. Heck Kane actually put a check on to Lucic last night...that's honestly more surprising to me than a relaxed big guy taking a seat.

***EDIT*** as a side note. You still have time to edit the Chad Krys buyout without affecting the team or any comments. Just go to edit and click the "x" next to him in the buyout section. smile cheers!

I’ll admit, the 5v3 situations were spectacular. Got a chance to regain momentum by killing them. However, they just never did. So, my question is, outside those five guys or the 5v3s, was their any efforts, drive, or desire? Calgary had a very poor game themselves in my opinion, and the hawks were given a golden chance to pounce, but they never did.

As for boqvist, YES, keep him with Keith and keep playing him 20-23 minutes a game, please!! Look, Nicklas Lidstrom at no point in his career was known for physical dominance, and if boqvist can just continue to grow smarter and more poised game in and game out, he can too! So I’m in complete agreement there, but I love boqvist, mainly cuz I love Finnish and Swedish players more than any other country. So much skill and elegance, they just know how to play a beautiful game.

Lastly, I didn’t notice the dach conversation with Tkachuk after the hit. In all honesty, if he gave him a talking to, good for him. He’s 6’4’’, I really hope he actually toughens up and learns to take more hits, if not do some hitting himself!!!! In no way do I think that should have been a penalty, I’m sorry, but I don’t. Dach needs to learn to pay attention to when these guys are on the ice, the wilsons, Watsons, and Tkachuks of the world that is. Either way, Tkachuk in no way is shaking in his boots over Dach. Dach is a child who’s all talk at this point. He hasn’t laid anyone out. Dach can tell Tkachuk and pretend he has an edge all he wants, but kirby, kid, words are cheap, actions matter. Put someone on their ass or get some points in spite of those goons.
Jan. 8, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
Edited Jan. 8, 2020 at 7:09 p.m.

I’ll admit, the Saad contract is confusing and as I said in trade box, no one has a clear idea as to what Saad’s value even is. It is frustrating and in all honesty, sure, retention should not be necessary. I’m one of those who believes he has regained a lot of value this year. However, not many others do.

Now, as for the Dach hit, let me be clear. I don’t want to see anyone injured. I wouldn’t wish that on Matt Cooke, Ryan kesler, Claude Lemieux, Robert bortuzzo, and so on, even though I can’t stand any of them and think they are garbage hockey players. However, I’ll be honest, when I saw it happen, my first thought was that it would’ve been a very soft penalty. Dirty? Ok, sure. Penalty? In the strictest sense, I guess, only cuz it was after the whistle. Hard? Let me put it this way: given how Dach went down like a sack of Potatoes, if Tkachuk woulda hit him hard, Dach would still be sitting in the 3rd row of the United center. Yes, I did get a kick out of Tkachuk hitting, of all people, Dach. But I’ve seen that kind of contact happen many times and 98% of those times the two just bounce off each other. Even with Tkachuk putting a shoulder into it, I just did not expect Dach to just get swept off his feet like that.

Best way to put it, Dach (and Kane) had a big hand in allowing that second flames goal, then Dach gets a wake up call to round it out. Let’s also not forget, Crawford thought the puck didn’t even go in initially and DACH put it in his own net!!!! If I’m the goalie, screw you teammate. Tough shift kid. Call it the former player in me, but I did find some humor in it all, Dach or someone else.

But no, I don’t nor do I ever want to see someone injured. That’s way way too far.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll