Forums/Armchair-GM

playing with fire

Created by: Eli
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 8, 2020
Published: Jan. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jackets and Flyers are tied for the last wild card in the East. Each could use an upgrade in net to really contend this year, and to help them just get in to the playoffs. Each could face the Caps in the first round if they get in. Either of these is a terrible idea.

Discuss... :)
Trades
CBJ
    Holtby. Seems fair to me, on a rental, given Anderson's rough year. But who adds what?
    WSH
    1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
    Additional Details:
    If available. Seems to go back and forth by week, and by who you talk to.
    PHI
      Holtby. Seems fair to me as a rental. Who adds what?
      WSH
      1. 2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
      WSH
      1. Gustafsson, Erik
      2. 2021 2nd round pick (CHI)
      CHI
      1. Siegenthaler, Jonas
      2. 2020 4th round pick (WSH)
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$68,927,629$1,150,000$550,000$12,572,371
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $9,538,462$9,538,462
      LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $3,900,000$3,900,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 6
      $5,166,667$5,166,667
      RW
      UFA - 5
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LW
      UFA - 4
      $6,700,000$6,700,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 6
      $3,350,000$3,350,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,415,000$2,415,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      $1,375,000$1,375,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 4
      $700,000$700,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      C
      UFA - 3
      $800,000$800,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 4
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 7
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
      G
      UFA - 2
      $1,275,000$1,275,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $2,345,000$2,345,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
      $1,062,500$1,062,500
      RD
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $6,100,000$6,100,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
      CHI NYI
      I might be interested in Gus for Siegenthaler straight up tbh. His ceiling isn’t that high, right?
      exo2769 liked this.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
      v5 CBJ GM
      Holtby > Ghost OR Anderson, Savard
      TBH
      Holtby > Ghost, Anderson, Savard
      Eli liked this.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
      I might be interested in Gus for Siegenthaler straight up tbh. His ceiling isn’t that high, right?

It's his first full season and he's playing over 3 minutes a night on PK, and auditioning on the top pair. The only way he hits market is if Ghost shows up for his spot.
      exo2769 liked this.
      Banned
      A small upgrade for the Flyers and that should be enough to push them past the Jackets. They shouldn't do anything huge though, there's not a huge rush other than Giroux getting up there in age. I foresee the Flyers being a very good team in 2 years MAX.
      Eli liked this.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 2:54 p.m.
      Wouldn't even consider trading Holtby to a team in the same conference. I know he's streaky and not that impressive lately. But we know how good he can be when he's good
      ZiggyPalffy, Eli and Blynasty liked this.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
      No GM is going to trade their prior franchise goalie to a team they could quite possibly face in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 3:12 p.m.
      exo2769
      Quoting: Eli
      It's his first full season and he's playing over 3 minutes a night on PK, and auditioning on the top pair. The only way he hits market is if Ghost shows up for his spot.

I have a hard time seeing Bowman sending assets with Gus for someone back. I'm not knocking Jonas at all. I honestly don't know a ton about him to be frank. I like what you're describing (and see below, so I believe what you're saying) and I'll focus on his play more in the future, but it's just an odd position for Bowman to do. Bowman still needs to sign Ian Mitchell. How would this play a factor if it's a TDL deal?

As a side note for the record, If I haven't said this yet...You were 110% right about Bura. I was wrong. I know that conversation dates back a full year, but I remember these disagreements. Give credit where it's due. Tip of the cap to you. Doesn't mean I'm always wrong, but I try to give credit where it's due.
      https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/244480/2
      Eli and Capitalfail67 liked this.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 3:28 p.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: WellIDK
      Wouldn't even consider trading Holtby to a team in the same conference. I know he's streaky and not that impressive lately. But we know how good he can be when he's good

Ideally, I agree. But the only West Coast teams I could see getting interested in renting a goalie this Spring are Calgary, Edmonton, and Dallas. Vegas has the most goals against of the West playoff teams, but they like Fleury. Hart has been a little bit streaky, and might not be quite ready to start in the playoffs. Merzlikins is finally doing well, but with Korpisalo injured, the playoff hopeful most likely to add a goalie is probably Columbus.... and I don't think they'd give up any draft picks or top prospects to get one, so I'm just trying to be realistic and figure out what the market is. Maybe Arizona is all-in and kicks the tires? I don't know.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: Blynasty
      No GM is going to trade their prior franchise goalie to a team they could quite possibly face in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

It'd make an exciting series, though. smile
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 3:43 p.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: exo2769
      I have a hard time seeing Bowman sending assets with Gus for someone back. I'm not knocking Jonas at all. I honestly don't know a ton about him to be frank. I like what you're describing (and see below, so I believe what you're saying) and I'll focus on his play more in the future, but it's just an odd position for Bowman to do. Bowman still needs to sign Ian Mitchell. How would this play a factor if it's a TDL deal?

As a side note for the record, If I haven't said this yet...You were 110% right about Bura. I was wrong. I know that conversation dates back a full year, but I remember these disagreements. Give credit where it's due. Tip of the cap to you. Doesn't mean I'm always wrong, but I try to give credit where it's due.
      https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/244480/2

Thanks! You're too kind. I don't watch enough games of most other teams, so I don't want to discount the possibility that I just overvalue everyone on the Caps and I might be ridiculously off base on valuing Siegenthaler over Gustafsson, who's got a bunch more points this year, has already shown he can play big minutes, and is only five years older. But after I traded Holtby twice I ran out of spots for defensemen, and figured Siegenthaler wouldn't keep developing in the press box, but could be pretty valuable to a team thinking long term. I think he's still kind of gawky, like he hasn't gotten used to being tall, yet, and also hasn't quite gotten used to the NHL, but the Caps are 3-1 in games when he's played 20 minutes this year, and I think he's just got really good positional instincts. I really don't think he's available, but if the Caps were all in, then trading him for Gustafsson would be a good short-term upgrade. They just wouldn't be able to afford to sign him long term, so they shouldn't do it.
      exo2769 liked this.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      Quoting: Eli
      Thanks! You're too kind. I don't watch enough games of most other teams, so I don't want to discount the possibility that I just overvalue everyone on the Caps and I might be ridiculously off base on valuing Siegenthaler over Gustafsson, who's got a bunch more points this year, has already shown he can play big minutes, and is only five years older. But after I traded Holtby twice I ran out of spots for defensemen, and figured Siegenthaler wouldn't keep developing in the press box, but could be pretty valuable to a team thinking long term. I think he's still kind of gawky, like he hasn't gotten used to being tall, yet, and also hasn't quite gotten used to the NHL, but the Caps are 3-1 in games when he's played 20 minutes this year, and I think he's just got really good positional instincts. I really don't think he's available, but if the Caps were all in, then trading him for Gustafsson would be a good short-term upgrade. They just wouldn't be able to afford to sign him long term, so they shouldn't do it.

We might have been the only 2 caps fans on here that didn’t want to trade Burakovsky. I also think seig is going to be an absolute stud. He can play both sides also
      Eli liked this.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
      Typical Caps Fan
      I'm perfectly fine with them trading Bura, we have Vrana, who has all of the upside Bura has and more, since he's a better 2 way player and much more creative on 5v5. Vrana has more 5v5 points, and all of his goals are 5v5.

We couldn't afford both, and we chose the correct one.
      Jan. 8, 2020 at 6:16 p.m.
      Who adds what?
      Quoting: Kylonetic8
      I'm perfectly fine with them trading Bura, we have Vrana, who has all of the upside Bura has and more, since he's a better 2 way player and much more creative on 5v5. Vrana has more 5v5 points, and all of his goals are 5v5.

We couldn't afford both, and we chose the correct one.

The team did fine. it got better over the summer, by fixing areas of need, like defense, grit, and penalty killing. The picks they got could help them stay decent, post-expansion. The cap hit they got Hathaway at is pretty good. Panik's starting to show up. Hagelin is better than I expected.

I think overall we all agreed there wasn't cap space to keep Burakovksy and Connolly, and still upgrade all the intangibles that needed to be addressed. As for the weeks we all spent fretting over which 2nd line pure goal scorer was the better fit on a checking line? I had fun. I hope you guys did, too.
      Kylonetic8 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll