SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

The Leafs defenceman are not terrible that is a myth

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2020
Published: Jan. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Does anyone who says the Leafs defence is terrible actually watch any of the games? If we use the most recent game against Winnipeg as the example, its hard to argue that TO is bad at defence, all 3 goals were caused by a forward making a poor decision at the oppositions blueline or it was just a bad luck play.

In fact in most of the recent games I've seen, that is the cause of most if not all the goals against. When TO is getting back on defence organized, they keep the shots to the outside and protect the front of the net.

Clean up those poor decisions on the opposition blueline and a lot of people will have to eat crow.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,297,143$0$70,000$202,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 10, 2020 at 9:39 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: TMLSage
I think the Leafs actually have one of the better defencemen cores in the NHL with Reilly, Barrie, Muzzen, Holl, Dermott and Ceci and totally agree with your posting heading that the Leafs Defencmen are not terrible. The problem is actually that the Leafs team defense is poor which is the trade off for their team offensive probably being the best in the entire NHL. As a fan of hockey, I think it is a good trade-off for the regular season because the firewagon hockey played by the Leafs brings back memories of the great Montreal Canadians teams during the 1970's.
Sheldon Keefe is not really sweating the weaker Leafs team defensive game during the regular season because he knows that the Leafs player's will buy in to play a tighter defensive game in the play-off at the sacrifice of team offense because all his players will only be playing for wins and not goals and assists in order to get their names on the Cup.

Would be really interested in Lauden's comments on this post because he is so positive and enlightening to the rest of us on Capfriendly.

I just don't see the defensive system being anything other than smart. At times teams cycle the puck around the outside at will but they never get any good shots and when they finally shoot, it gets blocked or saved and then usually the puck goes the other way. When they turn the puck over in the offensive zone and give up 3 on 2's or 2 on 1's or whatever. If you give up too many of those chances, you are going to allow goals against and that is where the Leafs are allow the majority of their goals. Since Keefe took over they are 8th in the league in goals against and if they figure out when its the right time to be risky and when its better to just dump it deep and regroup, this team could be come extremely good defensively.

Also Laudon is just an idiot, that clown is either just a troll or his defense mechanism for his fragile ego is to blast the Leafs and his fellow fans every day so he won't get hurt if they lose. Just reeks of a man who's way too emotional when it comes to sports so he needs to expect the worse so it doesn't send him over the edge if things don't turnout well.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 9:44 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: ChiHawk
100% spot on. Team defense is bad. The game plan the Leafs put on the ice involves at least one player (not entirely unusual) if not two players (highly unusual) on the offense cherry picking at the blue line or in the neutral zone when the puck is in their own zone. This leads to some great attempts in the offensive zone but poor team defense in the defensive zone. It's pretty obvious, like last night, what they are trying to do with guys cheating and not playing both zones. Seen this movie before with multiple teams....adds for exciting hockey and lots of goals (both for and against) but fails in the playoffs.

All that said, the defenders are actually doing a pretty decent job lately.

In Chicago, we see this the way Kane plays the game, although lately he has been getting more involved defensively but season stats show Kane on the ice for plenty of goals against. You just hope he has more goals for when he's on the ice and that has been the case but doesn't always work out.

I question that you ever watch Leaf games, just read what people on here say and make judgments without actually seeing and of the game play. No TO's defence isn't terrible defensively, that is a myth a lazy one at that. The whole system was a disaster under Babs and they are still learning Keefes system although already they are vastly improved. 8th in goals against since Keefe took over. And as I mentioned above, TO has been terrific when they are back defending, keeping all the shots to the outside and limiting high danger chances. Where they are getting burned is when they are on offence and try to force something. Its a balancing act that they are figuring out, and are getting better at it. Sometimes the right play is sending it deep and getting back to regroup defensively, too often they will try to force it and that causes problems.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
Edited Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
As for the guy who is chirping homers, I am convinced he's a fan of a different team posing as a Leafs fan. He only complains and insults leaf fans. He's a joke.

Homer No.1, check....butthurted cause argumented out few times, being my trusted follower on site since then.....

Quoting: TMLSage
Would be really interested in Lauden's comments on this post because he is so positive and enlightening to the rest of us on Capfriendly.

Homer No.2, check, just a funny court jester.....living in TMLittle Pony Land with his CAPS threads.....

Quoting: mondo
What's it like having a melted brain?

Homer No.3, check....also argumented out, now butthurting

Also Laudon is just an idiot, that clown is either just a troll or his defense mechanism for his fragile ego is to blast the Leafs and his fellow fans every day so he won't get hurt if they lose. Just reeks of a man who's way too emotional when it comes to sports so he needs to expect the worse so it doesn't send him over the edge if things don't turnout well.

And here he goes in his whole greatness and etiquette

Yes LogieBear, its me and my fragile ego, not your permanently damaged self-esteem and parents telling you how special you are regardless and always right about anything, even after other kids giving you such nickname.....
Jan. 10, 2020 at 9:55 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Laudan

Homer No.3, check....also argumented out, now butthurting

Please write this on my tombstone.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:19 a.m.
I question that you ever watch Leaf games, just read what people on here say and make judgments without actually seeing and of the game play. No TO's defence isn't terrible defensively, that is a myth a lazy one at that. The whole system was a disaster under Babs and they are still learning Keefes system although already they are vastly improved. 8th in goals against since Keefe took over. And as I mentioned above, TO has been terrific when they are back defending, keeping all the shots to the outside and limiting high danger chances. Where they are getting burned is when they are on offence and try to force something. Its a balancing act that they are figuring out, and are getting better at it. Sometimes the right play is sending it deep and getting back to regroup defensively, too often they will try to force it and that causes problems.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but clearly you didn't read carefully what i said either as both are problematic. Keeping offensive guys at the D blue line or neutral zone when the puck is in their own zone is a problem. Watch carefully because if you don't see that I question if you are watching games.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:25 a.m.
Banned
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but clearly you didn't read carefully what i said either as both are problematic. Keeping offensive guys at the D blue line or neutral zone when the puck is in their own zone is a problem. Watch carefully because if you don't see that I question if you are watching games.

They have have been stretching a bit too much but it hasn't been a problem. The opposition's defence has to get back to prevent odd man rushes so it isn't really doing much to create bad chances against. The turnovers in the opposition zone is currently the most glaring issue. The point is, regardless of whatever you want to say is the problem, the defenceman being terrible is just wrong. The Leafs on paper have one of the best bluelines in the league and NHLers just don't forget how to play their position so to suggest that they can't defend because they got scored on a tonne under Bab's stupid system of pressure everyone and leave the slot open is just a lazy analysis that TV people use to fire up fans and create controversy. Its not correct and I am tired of hearing about it.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.
Edited Jan. 10, 2020 at 10:46 a.m.
They have have been stretching a bit too much but it hasn't been a problem. The opposition's defence has to get back to prevent odd man rushes so it isn't really doing much to create bad chances against. The turnovers in the opposition zone is currently the most glaring issue. The point is, regardless of whatever you want to say is the problem, the defenceman being terrible is just wrong. The Leafs on paper have one of the best bluelines in the league and NHLers just don't forget how to play their position so to suggest that they can't defend because they got scored on a tonne under Bab's stupid system of pressure everyone and leave the slot open is just a lazy analysis that TV people use to fire up fans and create controversy. Its not correct and I am tired of hearing about it.

Again, did you not read carefully? I clearly said the defense isn't terrible. I clearly said the problem lies in the forwards not getting back and playing solid defense. Toronto's forwards, with the exception of a couple, aren't great defensively and a lot of that has to do with cherry picking at the blue line or neutral zone.

You are so quick to react and defend anything Leafs without actually reading or having homer glasses on; like you calling Andersen an elite goalie top 3 in the league YoY yesterday.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.
Banned
Again, did you not read carefully? I clearly said the defense isn't terrible. I clearly said the problem lies in the forwards not getting back and playing solid defense. Toronto's forwards, with the exception of a couple, aren't great defensively and a lot of that has to do with cherry picking at the blue line or neutral zone.

You are so quick to react and defend anything Leafs without actually reading or having homer glasses on; like you calling Andersen an elite goalie top 3 in the league YoY yesterday.

Talking to you is pointless. Their forwards are much improved defensively. When anyone gives the puck up at the oppositions blueline its going to result in an odd man rush. And that isn't forwards not getting back. The defensive players are facing the Leafs zone when that happens and get several steps ahead of the chasing forwards and it causes odd man rushes. WHEN THEY ARE DEFENDING NORMALLY, as in not being caught in an odd man rush, their forwards are defending the slot and keeping the puck away from high danger areas. Which is why I am saying what you are saying is nonsense. Of course you are going to likely not read any of this and tell me i didn't read any of your statement and then tell me I'm an idiot or something. I am done, you are just a sour person.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
Talking to you is pointless. Their forwards are much improved defensively. When anyone gives the puck up at the oppositions blueline its going to result in an odd man rush. And that isn't forwards not getting back. The defensive players are facing the Leafs zone when that happens and get several steps ahead of the chasing forwards and it causes odd man rushes. WHEN THEY ARE DEFENDING NORMALLY, as in not being caught in an odd man rush, their forwards are defending the slot and keeping the puck away from high danger areas. Which is why I am saying what you are saying is nonsense. Of course you are going to likely not read any of this and tell me i didn't read any of your statement and then tell me I'm an idiot or something. I am done, you are just a sour person.

"much improved" from what....garbage? Well obviously a handful of people agree with my original as you can see and not many with yours but we're all wrong and you're right of course lol
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:36 p.m.
Banned
"much improved" from what....garbage? Well obviously a handful of people agree with my original as you can see and not many with yours but we're all wrong and you're right of course lol

Yeah the same group of trolls that jump on every leaf post to say how terrible the team is. Its just tired and pointless. Get a hobby because going out of your way to fight with fans of other teams about stuff that really had nothing to do with you is just sad.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Yeah the same group of trolls that jump on every leaf post to say how terrible the team is. Its just tired and pointless. Get a hobby because going out of your way to fight with fans of other teams about stuff that really had nothing to do with you is just sad.

Cool story rock on
Jan. 11, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
Morgan Rielly is not bad at defence, he is more offensive and takes chances and that sometimes can cause you to get burned but he's an elite #1 defenceman. Hes been injured this season which has been difficult to deal with for him I think but he's fine. Muzzin is extremely good defensively, Holl has been a revelation and Dermot has been quite good as well. Its not the defence, or the team defensive play that hurts this team. Its carelessness in the offensive zone that causes odd man rushes the other way that burns this team. When they are back defending they just allow shots to the outside. If anyone bothers to watch the games, the defenceman are rarely to blame for goals. Ceci sucks though,.

Oh the good old if people watch the game. I watch every leaf game. Rielly is bad and always has been bad at defense. You can use the eye test, the numbers, whatever you want, it has always been the case. And where the leafs have failed is finding him a good top 4 dman that could provide the defence he lacks on the right side. The point on carelessness in the offensive zone makes no sense to me. I don't even really understand what that means. The leafs are built on their offense. It's how they plan to win. If you are talking about turnovers in the ozone, that is because they are trying to make plays and that happens sometimes. If you limit that you limit the leafs.

As far as Muzzin, Holl and Dermot go I'm right there with you. I think you and I probably agree on a larger level when it comes to the false perception out there that the leafs are the worst at defense. They have good players on the back end. I'm not entirely sold on the Keefe system of letting the team control the puck in your zone because like I said before I don't think the leafs have the defence to play defensive or break cycles and if you let good teams like the lighting stay in your zone for long enough, they will break you down. I just think they will probably have to make the move to get someone a bit better to play with Rielly.
Jan. 11, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TooMalevolent
Oh the good old if people watch the game. I watch every leaf game. Rielly is bad and always has been bad at defense. You can use the eye test, the numbers, whatever you want, it has always been the case. And where the leafs have failed is finding him a good top 4 dman that could provide the defence he lacks on the right side. The point on carelessness in the offensive zone makes no sense to me. I don't even really understand what that means. The leafs are built on their offense. It's how they plan to win. If you are talking about turnovers in the ozone, that is because they are trying to make plays and that happens sometimes. If you limit that you limit the leafs.

As far as Muzzin, Holl and Dermot go I'm right there with you. I think you and I probably agree on a larger level when it comes to the false perception out there that the leafs are the worst at defense. They have good players on the back end. I'm not entirely sold on the Keefe system of letting the team control the puck in your zone because like I said before I don't think the leafs have the defence to play defensive or break cycles and if you let good teams like the lighting stay in your zone for long enough, they will break you down. I just think they will probably have to make the move to get someone a bit better to play with Rielly.

I have like Barrie and Rielly, I think they have been pretty good and when they are on, they have the puck always. Ceci sucks but the rest of the blue line is good.
Feb. 17, 2020 at 2:33 a.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
The Leafs on paper have one of the best bluelines in the league and NHLer.

Lost with 5 GA against a hopeless Buffalo Sabres team, when that's the game you should always win easily. Not by 1 goal, and not 6-5...
ARE YOU still keeping your opinion: Leafs = it has one of the best bluelines in the league? 12700 posts and that's your best take on it? Interesting... can't wait for your answer...
If you want my opininon: Only Muzzin is good(he came from defense la la land = Kings) = bottom 10 defensive core in the league = still more than 25% chance to miss playoffs = real possiblity, although in my book your team still has to make the playoffs, otherwise Dubas is fired. Dubas better trade for a new D-man soon..

FYI i have just seen recently a Toronto Maple Leafs game, where Matthews did defend in his own zone... rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes I have never seen that before... That move was Bergeron,Stone,Cirelli like, what i've seen from him on that play. So forwards are indeed improving on defense. But it's gonna take more than 50 games...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll