Forums/Armchair-GM

Geoff Molson come on dude

Created by: Flynnster
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2020
Published: Jan. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
time to fire Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is now... and change the coaching staff who are not inspiring the team. A overhaul for the HABS is way overdue. Year after Year with the same problems. Get a good draft pick since being held in Montreal. GOT THAT GEOFF MOLSON
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
27$81,500,000$75,953,808$0$3,977,500$5,546,192
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$350,000$350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$771,666$771,666 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 9, 2020 at 10:20 p.m.
Geoff Molson can't really hear what fanbase have been saying because his cash is blocking his ears.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 10:46 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Edited Jan. 9, 2020 at 11:16 p.m.
As frustrating as it may be for Montreal fans, I still think MB deserves one more season... I mean let's face it, MTL will likely get a top 10 pick in the 2020 draft and add another great prospect to their farm system (he won't play in MTL until at 22-23 tho I think).

But next year, Brook will most likely be there, as will Romanov. Cousins, Kovy, Scandella, Folin, Kinkaid and maybe even Tatar and Petry will be gone by next year so the younger players will have plenty of room to grow.
I could totally see a D-core composed of Romanov-Weber Mete-Fleury Chiarot-Brook working out great next season... it would be shaky at times (look at the NYR D core this season) but it would be interesting and Romanov, Brook and Fleury could gain a lot of experience learning from non other than Shea Weber.

At forward, Danault, Domi, Drouin and Gallagher would most likely have to lead the way for another year, but Poehling, Suzuki, Koktaniemi, Caufield and maybe even Evans and 1-2 others could make an impact. Between the pipes, Carey Price could mentor Primeau for a year or 2 before he gets moved (tho MTL would have to retain at least 2 mil per year).
That being said, Claude Julien deserves to be fired at the end of the season. Ducharme should replace him with Bouchard as an assistant. Those two could/would/should(IMO) be important pieces of MTL's coaching staff for a decade... maybe even 15 years, who knows?

My lineup for next season:

Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Domi-Suzuki-Caufield
Poehling-Koktaniemi-Armia

Romanov(PP)-Weber(PP+PK)
Mete(PK)-Fleury
Chiarot(PK)-Brook(PP and PK)
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 11:17 p.m.
I agree with my rangers fan friend above. no point in firing bergevin. yeah his first 4 years were bad, farm team was bad, drafting and development was poor, but last 4 years have been really good. habs fans wanted a retool, well u need to lose games to retool. this is it. he's building an elite core. idk why fans thought the habs are destined for the playoffs. they should be happy that we're gonna get a high draft pick
Billy739 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2020 at 11:17 p.m.
Billy739
you're complaining about a stomache flu to the guy who gave you aids . . . .

this 8 year plan we just ended is Molsons not MB's and anyone who believes the Only Owner Arrogant enough to appoint himself top boss of all Management for the club isnt the one giving the orders should take some time to look into what Molson actually does .

We've fired and hired more Coaches and GM's then 28/31 teams in the NHL with no fixes in sight as a result .
We ran Molson out of town and had a half dozen awesome seasons and stellar drafts that stocked the cupboards for a decade and counting in MTL .

Molson is the problem , always has been .
His French first motto came back with him and his first draft he took Leblanc or Krieder .
Had Gillette stayed owner 1 more year Krieder would be a Habs and 2014 ECF incident would have happened to Lundqvist not Price .

Molson has to go
MB promoted to President and CEO as his biggest ding against him is inability to make big trades .
his vision is actually good as he's taken on more players teams wrote off turning them into stars then anyone else .
still a bunch of smaller trades that take 2-3 years to show any payoff for isnt what you need in a GM .

Just boycott molson breweries this summer and he'll sell
Jan. 9, 2020 at 11:21 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
I agree with my rangers fan friend above. no point in firing bergevin. yeah his first 4 years were bad, farm team was bad, drafting and development was poor, but last 4 years have been really good. habs fans wanted a retool, well u need to lose games to retool. this is it. he's building an elite core. idk why fans thought the habs are destined for the playoffs. they should be happy that we're gonna get a high draft pick

To be fair before injuries started piling up we were in a playoff position regularly at #2 in our division .
We let teams disrespect us and things escalate until plays happen to cause injury

we need another Scarecrow like Emelin or go full out and acquire a guy like Rousell who can put up 25-30 points and fight Weber to a Draw twice . (not easy )

Rousell unlike Domi doesnt play special teams so he can answer the bell without hurting the teams offense otherwise Domi would likely fight more as he has heavy hands .
Jan. 9, 2020 at 11:26 p.m.
I agree with almost everything Kakko said except the fact that Bergevin should be fire at the end of the season no matter what.
Another thing is Price might ask for a trade at the end of the season. After the Winnipeg lost he seemed frustrated. I also remember before the free agency period last season he publicly said that he knew his window of winning the Cup was closing and that he would like to play for a contender. Let's be honest even if the future seems promising it might take 2-3 years before the team could be pretenders.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 12:33 a.m.
Subbanator
Bergevin has barely done anything wrong in his tenure. @Billy739 has it right, Bergevin inherited a team that should have been rebuilding, they finished 3rd last but then get carried by Price, so they trade to be contenders, but they were never contenders, they just had a weak division, so as the division sat back and tampa got power MTL wasted away, throwing away draft picks and using 1st to fill holes. Bergevin has a couple more years left, fans better get used to it
Billy739 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 12:35 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
As of right now Bergevin isn't the problem. Yeah he wasted the first 6-7 years as GM, and if he would be fired he definitely deserves it.

But right now Bergevin's plan has been to not touch their prospects and let them develop. which is the right thing to do. folks clamoring for him to move Price and Weber are idiots, because it just won't happen, even with a new GM in place. Those guys aren't moving unless they ask to. With the Habs continuing to lose, Bergevin will sell off expiring contracts come this trade deadline, he already said he would in a recent interview (he said something along the lines of "I don't want to, but if we fall out of the playoff picture, I'll have no choice but to consider it).

When this season is over however, all bets are off. If Bergevin can fully embrace a rebuild, he probably stays, but again, if he does get fired no one will be surprised. The one guy I think will lose his job will be Claude Julien. Not that he's been bad. but moving forward the goal will be to play and develop the Habs top prospects, and have a coach who understands the new modern game and how the kids play nowadays. Julien isn't that guy, he's as old school as old school gets. Suzuki being to only exception, Julien clearly sticks to his veteran players as opposed to playing the kids * looks at Weal, Cousins*
So Julien will get the boot and Ducharme will take over as head coach is my guess.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 2:27 a.m.
Bergevin and Molson are both fine and I'm happy they are still here.

It's hard to win when your Franchise goalie decides he can't stop a beach ball.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
To be fair before injuries started piling up we were in a playoff position regularly at #2 in our division .
We let teams disrespect us and things escalate until plays happen to cause injury

we need another Scarecrow like Emelin or go full out and acquire a guy like Rousell who can put up 25-30 points and fight Weber to a Draw twice . (not easy )

Rousell unlike Domi doesnt play special teams so he can answer the bell without hurting the teams offense otherwise Domi would likely fight more as he has heavy hands .

They need some beef. Like a krieder. Scandella is a good move, but they need some beef up front. They can grind but they need size as well.
Billy739 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
As of right now Bergevin isn't the problem. Yeah he wasted the first 6-7 years as GM, and if he would be fired he definitely deserves it.

But right now Bergevin's plan has been to not touch their prospects and let them develop. which is the right thing to do. folks clamoring for him to move Price and Weber are idiots, because it just won't happen, even with a new GM in place. Those guys aren't moving unless they ask to. With the Habs continuing to lose, Bergevin will sell off expiring contracts come this trade deadline, he already said he would in a recent interview (he said something along the lines of "I don't want to, but if we fall out of the playoff picture, I'll have no choice but to consider it).

When this season is over however, all bets are off. If Bergevin can fully embrace a rebuild, he probably stays, but again, if he does get fired no one will be surprised. The one guy I think will lose his job will be Claude Julien. Not that he's been bad. but moving forward the goal will be to play and develop the Habs top prospects, and have a coach who understands the new modern game and how the kids play nowadays. Julien isn't that guy, he's as old school as old school gets. Suzuki being to only exception, Julien clearly sticks to his veteran players as opposed to playing the kids * looks at Weal, Cousins*
So Julien will get the boot and Ducharme will take over as head coach is my guess.

I honestly wouldn't mind bouchard or ducharme as coach. No disrespect to Julien
Billy739 and Blazingbat11 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: HabsForEver
Bergevin and Molson are both fine and I'm happy they are still here.

It's hard to win when your Franchise goalie decides he can't stop a beach ball.

We still have not got a single top 4 LD since MB blew up our ECF right after our appearance .
Markov and Gorges were the last legit top 4 LD we had
Since we've play nothing but a revolving door of faceless LD for the most part .

That's on Management
You blame Price say's you've never owned or laced up a pair of hockey skates .
The Goalie's the only one playing 60 minutes and relies on all his team to do their jobs for him to do his .
Our top 4 LD is a joke and the only 2 players of value on it in Weber and Petry had 1/2 spent almost half the past 3 years injured

Basically when Weber was injured MTL was Jeff Petry a 2nd pair RD and no one else in the top 4 .
Name a cup winner with a top 4 Dcore this bad?
Name a cup winner who blew up their D core for no reason after having success?

Blaming Price is telling me you would have been one of the fans that drove Roy out .
in 1994 fans harrassed our team and Roy in particular to the point Mr Corey was hired to overhaul the team behind the bench and on it .
Mr Corey proceeded to alienate everyone from Coach Demers to Desjardins to Roy leading to a complete collapse that took New Ownership in Mr Gillette to rebuild

Your blind support in the least employable of the 3 Molson Brothers is concerning .
Geoff's been here a decade and has under 500,000$ Net Worth because he's the only brother of the 3 who has never followed though.
Andrew the one with the money and power is going to get sick of this **** soon as of 3 months ago he gained President of the Breweries for the first time since merging with Coors and his Family wont risk losing power another 3 decades .Andrew sure as the Sun Shines will remove Geoff in the summer or sell the team .
Jan. 10, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
They need some beef. Like a krieder. Scandella is a good move, but they need some beef up front. They can grind but they need size as well.

the painful part is had Molson bought even a week later Krider woulda been drafted over Leblanc .
it was Molsons first draft back after buying the team days before the draft and he went with the French guy available over the best guy available .
that year there was 5 french guys in the first round and of the five only Matt Duchene didnt go bust and that's why french first over talent first put us in this position .

Mr Gillette's staff in every draft but one took everyone but french players basically and filled out shelves with Halak,Emelin,Plekanec , Price , Pacioretty , Subban,Mcdough , and Gallagher( to name a few off the top of my head )
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.

We still have not got a single top 4 LD since MB blew up our ECF right after our appearance .
Markov and Gorges were the last legit top 4 LD we had
Since we've play nothing but a revolving door of faceless LD for the most part .

That's on Management
You blame Price say's you've never owned or laced up a pair of hockey skates .
The Goalie's the only one playing 60 minutes and relies on all his team to do their jobs for him to do his .
Our top 4 LD is a joke and the only 2 players of value on it in Weber and Petry had 1/2 spent almost half the past 3 years injured

Basically when Weber was injured MTL was Jeff Petry a 2nd pair RD and no one else in the top 4 .
Name a cup winner with a top 4 Dcore this bad?
Name a cup winner who blew up their D core for no reason after having success?

Blaming Price is telling me you would have been one of the fans that drove Roy out .
in 1994 fans harrassed our team and Roy in particular to the point Mr Corey was hired to overhaul the team behind the bench and on it .
Mr Corey proceeded to alienate everyone from Coach Demers to Desjardins to Roy leading to a complete collapse that took New Ownership in Mr Gillette to rebuild

Your blind support in the least employable of the 3 Molson Brothers is concerning .
Geoff's been here a decade and has under 500,000$ Net Worth because he's the only brother of the 3 who has never followed though.
Andrew the one with the money and power is going to get sick of this **** soon as of 3 months ago he gained President of the Breweries for the first time since merging with Coors and his Family wont risk losing power another 3 decades .Andrew sure as the Sun Shines will remove Geoff in the summer or sell the team .

You write to much that I pretty much get overwhelmed and don't even want to reply. Josh Gorges was never a top 4 defensemen. His career high in points was 23 points and at best, he was a #5. Markov was in his late 30's and there was never a replacement guy who him. We've finally got over the hurdle of rebuilding the prospect core after trading picks and prospect to compete. It's been a very long time since Montreal has had a prospect core this good. Mete/Fleury/Juulsen/Leskinen/Brook/Norlinder/Romanov all have potential to become full time NHL players.

The goalie isn't playing 60 minutes. Obviously you watched the Canadiens play back in 2010-2015, Carey Price was the reason we won or lost hockey games. The team was him and only him. Now that we have a good enough team to compete, he puts up a .901 SVG. This team isn't playing any worse than it was back then, but because he can't stop pucks, it's being exposed. This team is better than our ECF team.

Why are you asking me to name a cup winner that had this bad of a defense, when clearly we are retooling. Ask me again in 2-3 years and I bet you it will be a different conversation. We traded Josh Gorges who had 2 points in 16 games in that cup run. Markov left because obviously he was 37 and wanted 2 years, obviously he didn't deserve that.
Jan. 10, 2020 at 4:53 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: HabsForEver
You write to much that I pretty much get overwhelmed and don't even want to reply. Josh Gorges was never a top 4 defensemen. His career high in points was 23 points and at best, he was a #5. Markov was in his late 30's and there was never a replacement guy who him. We've finally got over the hurdle of rebuilding the prospect core after trading picks and prospect to compete. It's been a very long time since Montreal has had a prospect core this good. Mete/Fleury/Juulsen/Leskinen/Brook/Norlinder/Romanov all have potential to become full time NHL players.

The goalie isn't playing 60 minutes. Obviously you watched the Canadiens play back in 2010-2015, Carey Price was the reason we won or lost hockey games. The team was him and only him. Now that we have a good enough team to compete, he puts up a .901 SVG. This team isn't playing any worse than it was back then, but because he can't stop pucks, it's being exposed. This team is better than our ECF team.

Why are you asking me to name a cup winner that had this bad of a defense, when clearly we are retooling. Ask me again in 2-3 years and I bet you it will be a different conversation. We traded Josh Gorges who had 2 points in 16 games in that cup run. Markov left because obviously he was 37 and wanted 2 years, obviously he didn't deserve that.

then dont

Dont write as much (just not spaced like i do)just to complain about how much i write lol
This type of logic does explain your previous comment though
Jan. 11, 2020 at 2:22 a.m.
then dont

Dont write as much (just not spaced like i do)just to complain about how much i write lol
This type of logic does explain your previous comment though

Counter what I just said. I don't think anything I said was wrong.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll