Forums/Armchair-GM

2020-21 RFAs

Created by: Trickster
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 12, 2020
Published: Jan. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Bracco and Timashov will get traded, I really like Timashov so this sucks.

Mikheyev, because of the injury I think he signs only 1 year show me deal.

Dermott, I think he will be bridged now to 2 year deal to sign him long term after... bridging him on 2 years keeps him as RFA.

Engvall, I think he will also be bridged but to a 3 year deal.
Small chance he signs also a 1 year deal at 925k but I am betting on him signing for 3 years.

Double K, I think he will signed to be the goalie exposed to Seattle as Woll and Scott show potential to surpass him.

Gauthier, he has earned a new deal with Leafs with his increased speed as that was the knock on him in the past.

I signed some other guys that I think will be useful if injuries happen which they always do.

I do not think every RFA will be back.

Would love to hear others input on these.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$900,000
2$2,500,000
3$1,250,000
2$900,000
3$900,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
1$1,250,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
9$83,500,000$11,450,000$0$0$72,050,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Banned
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Looks possible to me

Most positive thing you have posted in a while.
Care to share what you would do different?
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Most positive thing you have posted in a while.
Care to share what you would do different?

Yeah...it's been at least a few weeks since he's said something positive. I do like how he defends the Leafs players because there's definitely alot of Leafs hate always around.

Btw, you did say some RFAs will not be back. Name a few because I'm interested to see see where people go with this point.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: oneX
Yeah...it's been at least a few weeks since he's said something positive. I do like how he defends the Leafs players because there's definitely alot of Leafs hate always around.

Btw, you did say some RFAs will not be back. Name a few because I'm interested to see see where people go with this point.

Well I didnt sign Schmaltz, Harpur, and Luchuk.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:36 p.m.
Bcarlo25
I would say that if I’m Engvall’s agent, a 3 year deal isn’t even on the table. He’s been so rapidly progressing, and earning more and more ice time. With more ice time normally comes more points, and with more points, comes more money. No way would I be signing for three years at small money. I wouldn’t even be wild about 2 years. What’s the benefit to him to sign a 3 year? If he signs a 1 year deal at 1 million, he’s getting qualified after. So if he regressed or something, maybe by going the one year route, he might cost himself a couple hundred grand. But, he’s over a half point per game right now, and playing great hockey. I don’t think a 25-25 season is unreasonable from him next year. Then all of a sudden he’s a 5 million dollar player. I don’t see him signing three years.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:39 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Bcarlo25
I would say that if I’m Engvall’s agent, a 3 year deal isn’t even on the table. He’s been so rapidly progressing, and earning more and more ice time. With more ice time normally comes more points, and with more points, comes more money. No way would I be signing for three years at small money. I wouldn’t even be wild about 2 years. What’s the benefit to him to sign a 3 year? If he signs a 1 year deal at 1 million, he’s getting qualified after. So if he regressed or something, maybe by going the one year route, he might cost himself a couple hundred grand. But, he’s over a half point per game right now, and playing great hockey. I don’t think a 25-25 season is unreasonable from him next year. Then all of a sudden he’s a 5 million dollar player. I don’t see him signing three years.

Valid point.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Looks possible to me

Yup, think less term for engvall and less money for aberg (if they re sign him) same goes for kivihalme. less for brooks and marchment. Gauthier could get that much but I figured 800-900k.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Well I didnt sign Schmaltz, Harpur, and Luchuk.

Yeah these guys don't factor into the Leafs organization much.
I'd like to see Dermott signed long term but that unknown D the Leafs are probably getting in the off-season (UFA or trade) plus talks with Rielly may force a short term deal.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:50 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: oneX
Yeah these guys don't factor into the Leafs organization much.
I'd like to see Dermott signed long term but that unknown D the Leafs are probably getting in the off-season (UFA or trade) plus talks with Rielly may force a short term deal.

What about offer sheeting another teams RFA?
Cernak comes to mind cool
Jan. 12, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
What about offer sheeting another teams RFA?
Cernak comes to mind cool

At the rate you're going, you will concuss @Hedman77. Have some mercy, geeze ?
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
@Laudan forgot to tag you
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I'm not that well versed in the Leafs but to me everything seems fairly accurate except the Engvall deal which others have already mentioned, he'd be crazy to sign that and I doubt he would.

Gauthier has maybe earned a million dollar deal of some sort as well.
GenXHockey, Trickster, oneX and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:42 p.m.
Edited Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
@Laudan forgot to tag you

I see agents of our kids already have bad reputation and you are fleecing Engvall based on that.....if hes smart, he will wait for Mikheyev ( those russian's agents usually land some badass sh.t for their clients ) and he will jump that same bandwagon.

For the rest i gave my vision many times before, Gauthier is expendable also if he will want more then League minimum orelse Brooks will take that money for him to be able to play whole Season, even two years one.....

Otherwise pretty much on the spot....

Offersheets ? I dont think so.....
Jan. 12, 2020 at 3:48 p.m.
tomato
I would squeeze all the bubble NHL players for every penny if they are getting two year NHL guaranteed money. Its only a difference of a hundred grand or so but with several of them possibly being on the roster thats like 300 grand. Gauthier, Brooks, Marchment and even Aberg (who probably wont crack the NHL roster) would all get re-signed right now at the league minimum of 700 grand if it was up to me. Gauthier might feel that as a big centre that can win face-offs he might be more valuable to another franchise but at this point in his career with his limited offensive ability and his seemingly inability to engage physically even with his size he is a fringe NHL. I would throw another 2 year at league minimum and see if he bites. Brooks is a late-ish round pick who i think would be happy to take the same king of deal that Moore and Petan took to get a little guaranteed NHL money for a couple year to prove himself, even if that NHL money is the lowest possible. Same with Marchment and Aberg.

I agree that Mikheyev will likely be on a 1 year prove it deal next year because of his injury, unless he heals miraculously fast and ends up being healthy and on the roster for the playoffs and picks up right where he left off. If he does that i think he will get a longer term deal, but him coming back from injury that quick seems unlikely and if he does he probably wont be himself right away anyway. So a 1 year prove it deal seems like the likely scenario, although i think he will get a tad more that 1.25M.

I would try and get Dermott to take a 3 year bridge deal. at 2.75 or 3 M. With his season so far in his limited usage and point totals he probably hasn't earned that cap but i have confidence that he will be more than worth that 2.75 with an elevated role next year. I want a 3 year deal to space it out from When Rielly has to be re-upped. That would give a little more flexibility to sign them both.

With Engvalls performance so far this year i don't think he will accept a three year deal at that term. He would probably take it on a 1 year deal, maybe even a 2 year deal, but i think he knows that if he signs that and continues to produce at a 40 point pace he will be drastically underpaid. i think the Team and him settle on a 2 year 1.5M dollar deal.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:23 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Laudan
I see agent of our kids already have bad reputation and you are fleecing Engvall based on that.....if hes smart, he will wait for Mikheyev ( those russian agents usually land some badass sh.t for their clients ) and he will jump that same bandwagon.

For the rest i gave my vision many times before, Gauthier is expendable also if he will want more then League minimum orelse Brooks will take that money for him to be able to play whole Season, even two years one.....

Otherwise pretty much on the spot....

Offersheets ? I dont think so.....

I know you dont like offer sheeting but could Leafs get a better D man for say 3.8 million costing only a 2nd rounder?

Tampa has 8 million in cap space with alot players have NMC/NTC.
tomato43 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: tomato43
I would squeeze all the bubble NHL players for every penny if they are getting two year NHL guaranteed money. Its only a difference of a hundred grand or so but with several of them possibly being on the roster thats like 300 grand. Gauthier, Brooks, Marchment and even Aberg (who probably wont crack the NHL roster) would all get re-signed right now at the league minimum of 700 grand if it was up to me. Gauthier might feel that as a big centre that can win face-offs he might be more valuable to another franchise but at this point in his career with his limited offensive ability and his seemingly inability to engage physically even with his size he is a fringe NHL. I would throw another 2 year at league minimum and see if he bites. Brooks is a late-ish round pick who i think would be happy to take the same king of deal that Moore and Petan took to get a little guaranteed NHL money for a couple year to prove himself, even if that NHL money is the lowest possible. Same with Marchment and Aberg.

I agree that Mikheyev will likely be on a 1 year prove it deal next year because of his injury, unless he heals miraculously fast and ends up being healthy and on the roster for the playoffs and picks up right where he left off. If he does that i think he will get a longer term deal, but him coming back from injury that quick seems unlikely and if he does he probably wont be himself right away anyway. So a 1 year prove it deal seems like the likely scenario, although i think he will get a tad more that 1.25M.

I would try and get Dermott to take a 3 year bridge deal. at 2.75 or 3 M. With his season so far in his limited usage and point totals he probably hasn't earned that cap but i have confidence that he will be more than worth that 2.75 with an elevated role next year. I want a 3 year deal to space it out from When Rielly has to be re-upped. That would give a little more flexibility to sign them both.

With Engvalls performance so far this year i don't think he will accept a three year deal at that term. He would probably take it on a 1 year deal, maybe even a 2 year deal, but i think he knows that if he signs that and continues to produce at a 40 point pace he will be drastically underpaid. i think the Team and him settle on a 2 year 1.5M dollar deal.

Well thought out post.
Valid points, thanks.
tomato43 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Looks possible to me

I think what is beong put down here is possible.

I agree Bracco and Timashov are gone. Bracco passed on the depth chart, Timashov a victim of numbers

Engvall I think signs a 2 year deal, simply for cap purposes.

Soup is the wild card. A 1 year extension would allow the Leafs to seond more on that defensman they are gonna need (pencil Sandin and Lilgren in). However, trying somethjng longer term would be a bebefitnas well. I think that is the contract that is dictated after July 1.

Dermott..... 2 years at $2-$2.5 million works well.

Goat has certainly looked much better in his 4th line roll.

Overall, I suggest Soup is gonna be the tough one, simply because it is going to directly affected by a blueline acquisition.
Jan. 14, 2020 at 12:08 p.m.

Your right Bracco and Tim will be traded unless someone like Kap is traded and they bring up Bracco but that seems unlikely at this point. Mil I don't think it's a show-me deal but rather it's too hard to lock him up long term IMO. As far as Dermott goes I would prefer to sign him long term but it will be dependent on the price (I'd be willing to go to around $4mill on a long term deal if he'd take it). I've been thinking a lot about Engvall and wonder if it would be better to trade him instead of AJ or Kap because those two give us cost certainty going forward and who knows how much he'll want on a long term deal or if he'd even be willing to sign long term. Goat deserves a new contract but I wanted to see them lock him up to a two year $1.5mill contract in the off-season to keep his price down but I wouldn't offer him more than what you did here. Other than that it looks reasonable.
Trickster and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 14, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Your right Bracco and Tim will be traded unless someone like Kap is traded and they bring up Bracco but that seems unlikely at this point. Mil I don't think it's a show-me deal but rather it's too hard to lock him up long term IMO. As far as Dermott goes I would prefer to sign him long term but it will be dependent on the price (I'd be willing to go to around $4mill on a long term deal if he'd take it). I've been thinking a lot about Engvall and wonder if it would be better to trade him instead of AJ or Kap because those two give us cost certainty going forward and who knows how much he'll want on a long term deal or if he'd even be willing to sign long term. Goat deserves a new contract but I wanted to see them lock him up to a two year $1.5mill contract in the off-season to keep his price down but I wouldn't offer him more than what you did here. Other than that it looks reasonable.

Engvall and Gauthier won't get much more than 1 million at this point. Goat we know is a decent 4th liner, that is his place, nothing more and he won't get more than a million to do it. Engval has been good but he has what 25 games under his belt? Way too small of a sample size to even give him close to the money Kap or Johnsson make, maybe we can gamble and give him a longer term around 3 million and hope he becomes a player similar to Johnsson or Kapanen, but that comes with risk.
Trickster, Sign_em_up000000, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 14, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

Going off topic..

Big baseball news
Let's break it down.

Houston punishment fair? Excessive??
Jan. 14, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.
Engvall and Gauthier won't get much more than 1 million at this point. Goat we know is a decent 4th liner, that is his place, nothing more and he won't get more than a million to do it. Engval has been good but he has what 25 games under his belt? Way too small of a sample size to even give him close to the money Kap or Johnsson make, maybe we can gamble and give him a longer term around 3 million and hope he becomes a player similar to Johnsson or Kapanen, but that comes with risk.

I agree on all accounts. I would have liked to see goat signed in the off-season to $700-750k but I wouldn't go higher than a mill even then $900k would be more comfortable but I don't see him being a problem to sign. With Engvall, it's all depending on what he's asking for if he's not willing to sign a reasonable deal than I'd explore the trade market because both Johnsson and Kapanen offer us cost certainty going forward. It was just an outside the box idea and don't get me wrong, I love his game and want to keep him just saying if he's not willing to sign a reasonable deal than I'd explore what other teams are willing to give up for him.
Jan. 14, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
Going off topic..

Big baseball news
Let's break it down.

Thank God! I've been dying to talk about this. I think it was fair and necessary however, I would have liked to see the fine be like $25-50mill. It might seem excessive but what's to stop Crain from doing this again? And I know that $5mill is the max he could be fined for this but he got off to easy IMO, the only things that hurt him is the loss of the draft picks which he would give up in a heartbeat for a world series. Where do you stand on this? Also, I'd like to add that Corra should be banned for life but either way his career in baseball is done I mean who is going to hire him in any capacity after this?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 14, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Going off topic..

Big baseball news
Let's break it down.

Seriously?
Jan. 14, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Thank God! I've been dying to talk about this. I think it was fair and necessary however, I would have liked to see the fine be like $25-50mill. It might seem excessive but what's to stop Crain from doing this again? And I know that $5mill is the max he could be fined for this but he got off to easy IMO, the only things that hurt him is the loss of the draft picks which he would give up in a heartbeat for a world series. Where do you stand on this? Also, I'd like to add that Corra should be banned for life but either way his career in baseball is done I mean who is going to hire him in any capacity after this?

I think they should have lost more picks
Money is irrelevant I think, gave the max fine possible under MLB.

I agree on Corra, he needs to GTFO.
OldNYIfan and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll