Forums/Armchair-GM

Backes Johnson and Sutter

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 12, 2020
Published: Jan. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Juice the Gulls' roster, win the Calder, and snag Drysdale at the draft. Maybe consider moving Larsson and Ritchie for a quality piece elsewhere on the roster.

Some dead cap will have to be thrown around next season (Backes, Sutter if either of them look to pass a physical) to make room for the kids. With everything else in place, I'd be hard-pressed to say the Ducks couldn't be in wildcard contention next season.
Trades
ANA
  1. Backes, David
  2. Bjork, Anders
  3. 2020 1st round pick (BOS)
ANA
  1. Addison, Calen
  2. Johnson, Jack
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
ANA
    Lost on waivers
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$66,581,257$0$1,200,000$14,918,743
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $2,463,139$2,463,139
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $1,498,925$1,498,925
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,456,250$1,456,250
    LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,541,000$1,541,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $4,375,000$4,375,000
    RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $3,366,666$3,366,666
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,133,333$1,133,333
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 7
    $2,050,000$2,050,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    G
    UFA - 8
    $2,602,778$2,602,778
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,125,000$1,125,000 (Performance Bonus$1,200,000$1M)
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $894,166$894,166
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
    That’s a hell no from Pittsburgh lol
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:12 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Pensfan89
    That’s a hell no from Pittsburgh lol

I get that Addison is a big price to pay, but it's not like you get nothing in return. Is it more valuable to keep a good prospect - likely to make the team in a couple years and keep the Penguins treading water long after Sid and Geno are gone - OR is it better for the franchise to maximize the current winning window? Getting out from that deal does the Pens a lot of short-term good.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    I get that Addison is a big price to pay, but it's not like you get nothing in return. Is it more valuable to keep a good prospect - likely to make the team in a couple years and keep the Penguins treading water long after Sid and Geno are gone - OR is it better for the franchise to maximize the current winning window? Getting out from that deal does the Pens a lot of short-term good.

No. He has a shot to make the team next year, which is very valuable. Packaging him with Johnson hurts pittsburgh
    Pensfan89 liked this.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
    No. He has a shot to make the team next year, which is very valuable. Packaging him with Johnson hurts pittsburgh

What would hurt the Penguins less but still provides Anaheim with some legitimate incentive to eat Johnson's deal?
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.

He likely makes the team next year. The following year at the absolute latest. And Guhle is nothing more than a 6th D. Same as johnson. So it doesn’t maximize anything. All it does is hurt the pens from getting better next year with a cheap cost controlled asset.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
    What would hurt the Penguins less but still provides Anaheim with some legitimate incentive to eat Johnson's deal?

Nothing really. The problem is that the pens aren’t really desperate anymore to get out of that contract. Y’all already took Guddy off our hands. I think the pens are more into looking to trade Bjugstad, Schultz, and/or Galchenyuk over JJ
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
    That BOS deal is so bad for us. Kase = Bjork + 1st, so why take on Backes. I mean, I'm not even high on Bjork. He's a former 5th rounder and just a cheap bottom 6er as far as I can tell. He's certainly never going to replace what Kase can bring and I'm sure that 1st is really, really late. Seems like a massive undervalue and then you add Backes to make it worse.

I don't get the hype behind Addison. Seriously, too many kids getting overrated because they made their countries squad for the WJCs. Who cares? Yeah, he's putting up neat numbers in the WHL, but Mahura put up better numbers and he's not exactly setting the NHL on fire. Fully expecting Addison to go through the same growing pains. Putting up points mean nothing if you can't defend.

The VAN deals makes no sense. Basically filling up spaces that could be used to develop our youth with old veteran grinders and a bust D-man.

We should be looking to move Grant for a pick and deadline and then re-sign him. He's a quality 4th liner, at least he is in ANA.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
    Quoting: Pensfan89
    Nothing really. The problem is that the pens aren’t really desperate anymore to get out of that contract. Y’all already took Guddy off our hands. I think the pens are more into looking to trade Bjugstad, Schultz, and/or Galchenyuk over JJ

Yuck!
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
    No from Bruins. Swap Bjork for JFK/Senyshyn/Zboril/Axel Anderson. Sure...if you can get Backes to waive.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
    Quoting: Gofnut999
    No from Bruins. Swap Bjork for JFK/Senyshyn/Zboril/Axel Anderson. Sure...if you can get Backes to waive.

Nah...We'll, pass. Bjork doesn't sniff Kase and I'm sure you're back in the SCF this season. That 1st is basically a 2nd. No way we take Backes back for that.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.
    Edited Jan. 12, 2020 at 5:04 p.m.
    Quoting: mytduxfan
    That BOS deal is so bad for us. Kase = Bjork + 1st, so why take on Backes. I mean, I'm not even high on Bjork. He's a former 5th rounder and just a cheap bottom 6er as far as I can tell. He's certainly never going to replace what Kase can bring and I'm sure that 1st is really, really late. Seems like a massive undervalue and then you add Backes to make it worse.

I don't get the hype behind Addison. Seriously, too many kids getting overrated because they made their countries squad for the WJCs. Who cares? Yeah, he's putting up neat numbers in the WHL, but Mahura put up better numbers and he's not exactly setting the NHL on fire. Fully expecting Addison to go through the same growing pains. Putting up points mean nothing if you can't defend.

The VAN deals makes no sense. Basically filling up spaces that could be used to develop our youth with old veteran grinders and a bust D-man.

We should be looking to move Grant for a pick and deadline and then re-sign him. He's a quality 4th liner, at least he is in ANA.

Lol. Kase is not worth 1st & Bjork. You are delusional. 2nd and a 5th is his value.

I like how you dismiss Bjork being a 5th round pick when Kase was a 7th. Lol.

Bjork has dealt with numerous injuries the last 2 years. Finally healthy and playing well. He’s been bumped up to second line because of his play as of late.

If Boston is going to move a roster player to upgrade the lineup it’s going to take a bigger fish than Kase.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 4:58 p.m.
    Nah...We'll, pass. Bjork doesn't sniff Kase and I'm sure you're back in the SCF this season. That 1st is basically a 2nd. No way we take Backes back for that.

Backes is not waiving anyway so it’s moot. B’s front office does not trade Bjork for Kase straight up anyway. Serves no purpose. The point is to upgrade the roster without giving main roster pieces. Bjork for Kase is a lateral move.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 5:15 p.m.
    Pocket Aces
    Quoting: hockeyfanatic05

Johnson hasnt been all too bad this season and Addison is literally out best prospect and only RHD prospect worth noting. Delusional ducks fans thinking they can take Addison to dump JJ is getting pretty funny
    hockeyfanatic05 and Pensfan89 liked this.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    That’s definitely a yes from boston. Cheers.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 5:48 p.m.
    Lol. Kase is not worth 1st & Bjork. You are delusional. 2nd and a 5th is his value.

I like how you dismiss Bjork being a 5th round pick when Kase was a 7th. Lol.

Bjork has dealt with numerous injuries the last 2 years. Finally healthy and playing well. He’s been bumped up to second line because of his play as of late.

If Boston is going to move a roster player to upgrade the lineup it’s going to take a bigger fish than Kase.

Lol all you want, at least our guy has put up 20 goals before, and in only 66 games. Bjorks career high is 6 and he only put that up this season. But you're right, I'm delusional. 24 year old, 20 goal scorers on $2.6M for the next 2 seasons regularly go for a 2nd and 5th. Bjork is worth like a 4th at best. He's really nothing special and has done very well to just make the NHL. He doesn't sniff Kase. Kase can be absolutely dynamic, but has been hit hard with injuries in recent seasons.

P.S. Kase has also gone through serious injuries. Yet he's only 1 year older and proven way more than Bjork. I literally have no idea how you can think Kase isn't >>>>> Bjork. Kase would be a significant upgrade on Bjork. Your pride and unwillingness to admit that doesn't change that.

Backes is not waiving anyway so it’s moot. B’s front office does not trade Bjork for Kase straight up anyway. Serves no purpose. The point is to upgrade the roster without giving main roster pieces. Bjork for Kase is a lateral move.

Ok, seriously! Have you even seen Kase's stats? Like, seriously. Bjork's is on-pace for 24 pts. Kase has already had a 38 pt season and he only played 66 games that year. He was also 22 years, so 1 year younger than Bjork is currently. I mean even this season Kase is out-pacing Bjork's numbers. Like seriously brah... what are you smoking?

I'll call your bluff. Post a trade of Bjork for Kase and see what the response is from both ANA and BOS fans. Go on.... I dare you. If you really believe that Bjork > Kase, post the trade.
    Jan. 12, 2020 at 7:18 p.m.
    Lol all you want, at least our guy has put up 20 goals before, and in only 66 games. Bjorks career high is 6 and he only put that up this season. But you're right, I'm delusional. 24 year old, 20 goal scorers on $2.6M for the next 2 seasons regularly go for a 2nd and 5th. Bjork is worth like a 4th at best. He's really nothing special and has done very well to just make the NHL. He doesn't sniff Kase. Kase can be absolutely dynamic, but has been hit hard with injuries in recent seasons.

P.S. Kase has also gone through serious injuries. Yet he's only 1 year older and proven way more than Bjork. I literally have no idea how you can think Kase isn't >>>>> Bjork. Kase would be a significant upgrade on Bjork. Your pride and unwillingness to admit that doesn't change that.

Ok, seriously! Have you even seen Kase's stats? Like, seriously. Bjork's is on-pace for 24 pts. Kase has already had a 38 pt season and he only played 66 games that year. He was also 22 years, so 1 year younger than Bjork is currently. I mean even this season Kase is out-pacing Bjork's numbers. Like seriously brah... what are you smoking?

I'll call your bluff. Post a trade of Bjork for Kase and see what the response is from both ANA and BOS fans. Go on.... I dare you. If you really believe that Bjork > Kase, post the trade.

Calm your tits. I did not say Bjork was better then Kase. Yes Kase is an upgrade over Bjork. No question.

Now as far as on pace goes. Bjork has 1 more goal in 1 less game. Kase 16 mins per game and 1:50pp time. Bjork 12 and 0. Think maybe Kase should have more goals than Bjork at this point but nope.

Bjork has been very impressive over the last few weeks and is on the verge of breaking out. Would not be surprised to see him put up a dozen goals the rest of the way.

Management loves him.

What i said was, as a buying team the B’s are trying to add to the roster without giving up players off the main. Especially a cheap one considering their lack of cap space. It’s not the type of move they are looking for.

Highly unlikely Backes is moved. He can block to 22 teams and nobody wants him. Only players i see being moved off the main to make space would be Heinen or Moore. Bjork is a cheaper version than Heinen. Makes Heinen expendable. And Bjork had passed him on the depth chart.

The teams had talked about Kase but it was rumored to be Axel Anderson and a pick. Never gained traction. Honestly the Ducks would rather have the 1st/Anderson/Backes that I countered with than the original offer and B’s would rather do that as well. Ducks have a lot of good young forwards. Adding a puck moving RD prospect would be more beneficial to Ducks. And it would be more beneficial to B’s who are playing for the now to move a prospect while keeping Bjork on the main. That is what i was implying.

They have talked to NJ about Palmieri. Bjork was one of the asks. LA wants him for Toffoli. Seems like every team they talk to Bjork is the player wanted in return. It may end up that they have to give up Bjork to get a deal done. They’d prefer not to. But it will be for someone like Palmieri or Kreider.
    Jan. 13, 2020 at 4:44 a.m.
    Calm your tits. I did not say Bjork was better then Kase. Yes Kase is an upgrade over Bjork. No question.

Now as far as on pace goes. Bjork has 1 more goal in 1 less game. Kase 16 mins per game and 1:50pp time. Bjork 12 and 0. Think maybe Kase should have more goals than Bjork at this point but nope.

Bjork is on a contender and plays with Krejci. Meanwhile, Kase is on a bottom-feeder alongside Steel, a 21 year old kid just learning the ropes. Not quite fair. If you watched Kase you'd see that he drives the play on his line. I won't pretend to have seen Bjork play recent, but I think it's safe to say that Krejci is the play-driver on that line. I have no doubt that Kase would outperform Bjork if given the opportunity to in the same scenario. Expecting Kase not to improve his production on a beast contender like BOS is a little too conservative for me, and I'm probably one of the most conservative fans going.

Bjork has been very impressive over the last few weeks and is on the verge of breaking out. Would not be surprised to see him put up a dozen goals the rest of the way.

Management loves him.

What i said was, as a buying team the B’s are trying to add to the roster without giving up players off the main. Especially a cheap one considering their lack of cap space. It’s not the type of move they are looking for.

What are you talking about? You're not moving out a roster player for futures. It's an upgrade. So you really think that BOS wouldn't consider upgrading Bjork to a better player? Kase is only making $2.6m for the next 2 seasons. That's a sweetheart deal for a player proven 20 goal scorer. I have no doubt that management love Bjork, but Kase is a significant upgrade, is totally worth the increased cost in salary and cap, and would help you in your pursuit for a cup. Bjork + 1st (likely 28-31st OA) for Kase? I have no doubt that BOS snaps our hand off if offered.

Highly unlikely Backes is moved. He can block to 22 teams and nobody wants him. Only players i see being moved off the main to make space would be Heinen or Moore. Bjork is a cheaper version than Heinen. Makes Heinen expendable. And Bjork had passed him on the depth chart.

That's fair. For me, Bjork, Heinen, it doesn't really matter. Both are never going to reach the level Kase is at. It's a downgrade and I don't think the 1st covers the difference, not for me anyway.

The teams had talked about Kase but it was rumored to be Axel Anderson and a pick. Never gained traction. Honestly the Ducks would rather have the 1st/Anderson/Backes that I countered with than the original offer and B’s would rather do that as well. Ducks have a lot of good young forwards. Adding a puck moving RD prospect would be more beneficial to Ducks. And it would be more beneficial to B’s who are playing for the now to move a prospect while keeping Bjork on the main. That is what i was implying.

Bad logic imo. Yes, keeping Bjork around would be ideal, but I disagree that BOS turns down an opportunity to significantly upgrade Bjork ahead of a cup run just because they want to keep as many players around as possible. Bjork can be replaced by Heinen (I know he's more expensive) and you have plenty of 13th forwards to call upon should you need to. Moreover, Bjork's upside isn't that great, so you can't even argue "potential".

They have talked to NJ about Palmieri. Bjork was one of the asks. LA wants him for Toffoli. Seems like every team they talk to Bjork is the player wanted in return. It may end up that they have to give up Bjork to get a deal done. They’d prefer not to. But it will be for someone like Palmieri or Kreider.

Any legitimate sources to back that up? Elliot Friedman has made a bunch of speculations, but that doesn't really mean anything. No way Bjork gets Toffoli with a significant add. Same goes for Palms. Seriously, Bjork doesn't sniff any of the players you're talking about and doesn't even have the upside to make up for his lack a current ability.
    Jan. 13, 2020 at 10:04 a.m.
    Bjork is on a contender and plays with Krejci. Meanwhile, Kase is on a bottom-feeder alongside Steel, a 21 year old kid just learning the ropes. Not quite fair. If you watched Kase you'd see that he drives the play on his line. I won't pretend to have seen Bjork play recent, but I think it's safe to say that Krejci is the play-driver on that line. I have no doubt that Kase would outperform Bjork if given the opportunity to in the same scenario. Expecting Kase not to improve his production on a beast contender like BOS is a little too conservative for me, and I'm probably one of the most conservative fans going.

What are you talking about? You're not moving out a roster player for futures. It's an upgrade. So you really think that BOS wouldn't consider upgrading Bjork to a better player? Kase is only making $2.6m for the next 2 seasons. That's a sweetheart deal for a player proven 20 goal scorer. I have no doubt that management love Bjork, but Kase is a significant upgrade, is totally worth the increased cost in salary and cap, and would help you in your pursuit for a cup. Bjork + 1st (likely 28-31st OA) for Kase? I have no doubt that BOS snaps our hand off if offered.

That's fair. For me, Bjork, Heinen, it doesn't really matter. Both are never going to reach the level Kase is at. It's a downgrade and I don't think the 1st covers the difference, not for me anyway.

Bad logic imo. Yes, keeping Bjork around would be ideal, but I disagree that BOS turns down an opportunity to significantly upgrade Bjork ahead of a cup run just because they want to keep as many players around as possible. Bjork can be replaced by Heinen (I know he's more expensive) and you have plenty of 13th forwards to call upon should you need to. Moreover, Bjork's upside isn't that great, so you can't even argue "potential".

Any legitimate sources to back that up? Elliot Friedman has made a bunch of speculations, but that doesn't really mean anything. No way Bjork gets Toffoli with a significant add. Same goes for Palms. Seriously, Bjork doesn't sniff any of the players you're talking about and doesn't even have the upside to make up for his lack a current ability.

You are severely underestimating Bjork. You are basing your opinion based on his draft slot and stat sheet presumably without watching him play. Tsk tsk.

He’s been fantastic the last couple weeks. When he broke into the league he was put on the first line. He got his bell rung fairly early on and was not quite the same after that then got hit hard again and missed the rest of the year. He put on a little more muscle while rehabbing. He is no longer playing timid. Worked his way back into the top 6. Had he been drafted after his jr year in college when he put up 52 points in 39 games and was a Hobey Baker finalist he would have been a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

Bjork/Axel Anderson/pick has been rumored for KP. In the talks for TT over the last 2 years Bjork has been a consistent target for LA. No not as a straight swap. Most likely with a mid round pick included.

As you say most rumors are just speculation. However pretty much every team has asked about Bjork in talks. B’s have no desire to move him.
    Jan. 13, 2020 at 1:26 p.m.
    You are severely underestimating Bjork. You are basing your opinion based on his draft slot and stat sheet presumably without watching him play. Tsk tsk.

He’s been fantastic the last couple weeks. When he broke into the league he was put on the first line. He got his bell rung fairly early on and was not quite the same after that then got hit hard again and missed the rest of the year. He put on a little more muscle while rehabbing. He is no longer playing timid. Worked his way back into the top 6. Had he been drafted after his jr year in college when he put up 52 points in 39 games and was a Hobey Baker finalist he would have been a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

The kids 23, not 18. The eye test only goes so far. He's got to produce eventually. The value of a man isn't made in the eye test if it doesn't result in production.

Bjork/Axel Anderson/pick has been rumored for KP. In the talks for TT over the last 2 years Bjork has been a consistent target for LA. No not as a straight swap. Most likely with a mid round pick included.

As you say most rumors are just speculation. However pretty much every team has asked about Bjork in talks. B’s have no desire to move him.

Yeah, so you have no source. Rumours and speculation aren't the same thing. Rumours come from an insider with a source. Speculation is just you or me giving our opinion on what a team should/could do. Sounds like all the buzz around Bjork for KP or Toffoli falls under the latter.

He's not worth anywhere you seem have him. Again, feel free to post a trade of Bjork + mid pick for KP or Toffoli. You'll get laughed out the thread. Not even close to fair value. Anyway, whatever bro. Agree to disagree. Clearly Bjork has a special place in your heart and nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.
    Jan. 14, 2020 at 9:02 a.m.
    The kids 23, not 18. The eye test only goes so far. He's got to produce eventually. The value of a man isn't made in the eye test if it doesn't result in production.

Yeah, so you have no source. Rumours and speculation aren't the same thing. Rumours come from an insider with a source. Speculation is just you or me giving our opinion on what a team should/could do. Sounds like all the buzz around Bjork for KP or Toffoli falls under the latter.

He's not worth anywhere you seem have him. Again, feel free to post a trade of Bjork + mid pick for KP or Toffoli. You'll get laughed out the thread. Not even close to fair value. Anyway, whatever bro. Agree to disagree. Clearly Bjork has a special place in your heart and nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise.

Not me doing the speculating. They were articles i read. I say they don’t trade him.

Would not be the first time i was laughed at. I was laughed it when i said Coyle would cost Donato and a mid. Went for Donato and a 5th. Was laughed at when i said Wayne Simmonds was worth a pair of 3rds last year. Everyone said a 1st or 2nd and prospect. Went for Hartman and 4th. Laughed at when i said Bruins would be interested in MoJo a month before they traded for him. And the list goes on. But i usually get the last laugh. ??‍♂️ Cheers. ?
    mytduxfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll