SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New Jersey Devils

Shero fired

Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:01 p.m.
I hate this team
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
Thought they would wait til the off season, but if you've made up your mind why wait.

Shero went all in trying to contend this year, and the result was a team that's worse than it was before. No reason he should be allowed to clean up the mess he's made.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Pk Subban puttin’ in that work. Gets the coach now GM fired...
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Shouldn't have allowed the Hall trade.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Thought they would wait til the off season, but if you've made up your mind why wait.

Shero went all in trying to contend this year, and the result was a team that's worse than it was before. No reason he should be allowed to clean up the mess he's made.

Ray excels on tdl moves (other than grabner)
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:09 p.m.
If the organization didn't believe in Shero, why let him make the Hall trade?
This isn't months later...we talkin' weeks here.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
From GM of the year candidate at the beginning of the season, to being fired before the all-star break; weird.

Please just continue the fire-sale though; let's not pretend this team is close to being a contender. Tank for Byfield or Lafreniere
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:22 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Pretty crazy move but was inevitable I guess, gotta wonder how things might of went had amongst all the offseason moves they tried to improve their goaltending but I haven't watched much of NJ this season so idk if it's mostly goaltending that's been their problem.

I really thought they'd be better but I didn't realize Schneider's play had fallen off a cliff so badly.

The next GM has his work cut out for him.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:28 p.m.
Quoting: oneX

Peter Chiarelli signed Koskinen's extension and was fired like 48 hours later
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:34 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I am here for the discourse regarding the Hall trade. Do Devils fans believe they could have signed him if Shero was gone? Do you just have an issue with the return? I guess I don’t understand the problem.

The way I see it, he was the GM and negotiated a fair return for a player the team lost leverage on. You received prospects and picks for someone who was going to walk. You will also have tons of cap space.

I struggle to see how this is better if the Hall trade was stopped...
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:41 p.m.
Tom Fitz Gerald, but does Gerald Fit Tom?
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:41 p.m.
Tom Fitz Gerald, but does Gerald Fit Tom?
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
It seems the decision to fire Shero was reactionary since it hasn’t been that long after moving Hall and firing John Hynes. (similar to Hextall last season) I read Schneider has been recalled. I wonder if Shero lost his job because he wouldn’t do that. A shift in organizational philosophy perhaps.

I can’t see this being a positive going forward for this organization. Ray Shero, I think is a pretty fine hockey mind. He will be back. Dare I say Anaheim .... mmmm Los Angeles. These organizations may need new blood.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:50 p.m.
He could have traded up Palmari before getting the boot at least...
Jan. 12, 2020 at 6:51 p.m.
Ban Price trades

Knife. Twist it more. Please. Need it.

Quoting: oneX

I have a couple ideas on that:

Shero's been behind the wheel of this organization for the past 4(?) years: there was a substantial mess left behind in the wake of fueling the "playoff" teams between 2006 and 2012. The draft record is abysmal beyond three names over that entire span. Eventually, the Devils needed to pay for not insulating the foundation of the franchise. Over Shero's tenure, the drafting has barely improved - they're getting NHL players out of the 1st Round now at least - but everything else remains abysmal. The NHL team is a dump, and the AHL team is no better.

One of two things have happened here: Shero pooched the Hall trade or management simply wanted to go another way. It's debatable as to why ownership would keep him around in order to make the initial Hall trade, but having a tenured guy that can possibly pull the odd favour around the league tends to make those transactions easier and more lucrative. Alternatively, you get Chiarelli-esque deals out of the same line of thought. Big risk. If we assume that ownership was dissatisfied with the return for Taylor Hall, then firing Shero before he bungles the trade deadline needed to happen, albeit sooner. Doing it now or as early as possible gives the interm and his guys enough runway to start assessing the market in order to prepare trades for (potentially) Palmieri, Simmonds, Subban, and Vatanen.

If management simply came to the conclusion that they wanted a philosophy change - tenure for NHL management is typically in the 5-year range, if your plan isn't working by then, you move onto the next guy - the timing of this is still incredibly bizarre UNLESS there's going to be a top-down reorganization and firing throughout upper management. It's kind of inverse to how the Leafs managed their restructuring: Toronto fired everyone weeks before the draft, but already had the majority of the research and work done ahead of time. In this case, management wants a clean slate with making these decisions. Again, the timing is stranger than all hell; it would make the most sense to maximize the time you give the guys coming in, thus a restructure should have happened the minute after Hall was traded. There might be potential for the legality of firing everyone and contract-related shenanigans that may have pushed this decision into the halfway point of the season, but I don't know enough about the contract structure of any NHL front office to even attempt guessing at that.

TL;DR if Shero didn't pooch the Hall trade, the best time to fire him was after said trade. The second best time was as soon as possible.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 8:44 p.m.

And I scratched my head at that one too.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 8:54 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Knife. Twist it more. Please. Need it.

I have a couple ideas on that:

Shero's been behind the wheel of this organization for the past 4(?) years: there was a substantial mess left behind in the wake of fueling the "playoff" teams between 2006 and 2012. The draft record is abysmal beyond three names over that entire span. Eventually, the Devils needed to pay for not insulating the foundation of the franchise. Over Shero's tenure, the drafting has barely improved - they're getting NHL players out of the 1st Round now at least - but everything else remains abysmal. The NHL team is a dump, and the AHL team is no better.

One of two things have happened here: Shero pooched the Hall trade or management simply wanted to go another way. It's debatable as to why ownership would keep him around in order to make the initial Hall trade, but having a tenured guy that can possibly pull the odd favour around the league tends to make those transactions easier and more lucrative. Alternatively, you get Chiarelli-esque deals out of the same line of thought. Big risk. If we assume that ownership was dissatisfied with the return for Taylor Hall, then firing Shero before he bungles the trade deadline needed to happen, albeit sooner. Doing it now or as early as possible gives the interm and his guys enough runway to start assessing the market in order to prepare trades for (potentially) Palmieri, Simmonds, Subban, and Vatanen.

If management simply came to the conclusion that they wanted a philosophy change - tenure for NHL management is typically in the 5-year range, if your plan isn't working by then, you move onto the next guy - the timing of this is still incredibly bizarre UNLESS there's going to be a top-down reorganization and firing throughout upper management. It's kind of inverse to how the Leafs managed their restructuring: Toronto fired everyone weeks before the draft, but already had the majority of the research and work done ahead of time. In this case, management wants a clean slate with making these decisions. Again, the timing is stranger than all hell; it would make the most sense to maximize the time you give the guys coming in, thus a restructure should have happened the minute after Hall was traded. There might be potential for the legality of firing everyone and contract-related shenanigans that may have pushed this decision into the halfway point of the season, but I don't know enough about the contract structure of any NHL front office to even attempt guessing at that.

TL;DR if Shero didn't pooch the Hall trade, the best time to fire him was after said trade. The second best time was as soon as possible.

Honestly this reeks more of organizational dysfunction than anything.
If ownership of any team doesn't believe in the GM (specifically the GM) then that ownership isn't doing itself or their fans any favours.

If a GM's off-season moves fail, it's a reason to fire him but damn...firing him just weeks after what was supposed to be an important trade...

If I were a Devils season ticket holder, I'd be pissed as hell right now.
Smitty426 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2020 at 10:29 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo
He could have traded up Palmari before getting the boot at least...

Some think that's why this happened.
That ownership wanted to/didn't want to and ray was opposed to that thought. Once ownership pulls that your on life support as a gm
oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll