SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

5 Questions 1/13/2020

Jan. 13, 2020 at 2:11 a.m.
Here they are:

1. I'll start with an easy one: Is Tampa Bay now the best team in the NHL (notwithstanding their loss to the Devils, of course)?

2. How would you characterize Ray Shero's tenure as Devils GM? Will he ever get another top job?

3. Was Pekka Rinne's goal the other night the top play of the season so far? If not, what was?

4. Which contending team could benefit the most by acquiring pending UFA Chris Kreider from the Rangers, and how expensive will he be?

5. What, if anything can the NHL do to prevent star players like Alex Ovechkin from skipping the All Star Game?
Jan. 13, 2020 at 9:47 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Brian2016
Here they are:

1. I'll start with an easy one: Is Tampa Bay now the best team in the NHL (notwithstanding their loss to the Devils, of course)?

2. How would you characterize Ray Shero's tenure as Devils GM? Will he ever get another top job?

3. Was Pekka Rinne's goal the other night the top play of the season so far? If not, what was?

4. Which contending team could benefit the most by acquiring pending UFA Chris Kreider from the Rangers, and how expensive will he be?

5. What, if anything can the NHL do to prevent star players like Alex Ovechkin from skipping the All Star Game?

1. No, Caps are still at the top
2. I’d say it was decent, some of the struggles (goaltending) weren’t his fault, and I think he was a good drafter (besides Michael McCleod)
3. No, McDavids goal is the best play that I can remember, but I’m sure there is another one I forgot about
4. The Isles could really use Krieder, which sucks cuz I doubt the rangers trade him to the isles
5. A longer suspension probably, or make it more, like, fun for the players. Bringing back the shootout challenge thing where like Subban dressed up as Jagr, Duchene wore a hat, should be good. I liked it a lot too. Also, making the all star break longer would help, as they could take a vacation after the game
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: AndrewLadd
1. No, Caps are still at the top

It's a long season, but Tampa is right up there as a top team...maybe Washington
Nothing special from Shero. Maybe it was the cards he was dealt. NHL seems to recycle their top executives. Don't think he will get a GM job. IMO there has be something "deeper" in his firing than just the Devils record
No, skill goals such as McDavid's or even a game changing goal later in the game is more significant, dramatic than a goalie goal.
I guess a lot of teams could you Kreider but at what cost? Rangers are still in the playoff race do they want to sell? But likely the Rangers are hoping a contending team has a LW go on LTIR to up the value. Isles and Bruins would be my favourites.
All star games are such a waste. Maybe all 50 players should decline the invitation. Then is the NHL gonna suspend 50 of its stars? The NHL really can't do anything
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 12:15 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Here they are:

1. I'll start with an easy one: Is Tampa Bay now the best team in the NHL (notwithstanding their loss to the Devils, of course)? No, caps are best all around team.

2. How would you characterize Ray Shero's tenure as Devils GM? Will he ever get another top job? He built nothing, goalies we always a major problem. They never had a strong offense or a shut down defense. alot of decent players but really no major stars. He made one fantastic trade for hall and that did nothing for the team. Very underwhelming job. Didnt build a complete team. Im also not sure how much of this is on Shero and what direction the Devils owner kinda forced him to try and do...

3. Was Pekka Rinne's goal the other night the top play of the season so far? If not, what was? Theres been plenty. goalie goals are fun but best of the season? no its still an empty net.

4. Which contending team could benefit the most by acquiring pending UFA Chris Kreider from the Rangers, and how expensive will he be? bruins or avs. This move would solidify both teams top 6.

Get rid of the all-star game.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
1. No, Tampa's winning streak only included one victory over a top 10 team. And Arizona was missing their best player. Tampa fans are still wary of last year, no way they're getting excited yet.

2. Underwhelming. It seemed like he didn't have a clear direction/identity in mind when he set about building the team. He'll probably get another gig tho.

3. Rinne's goal was awesome. But no as good as the McDavid goal.

4. Im not convinced that Boston wont add a top 6 winger.

5. Scrap the allstar game. Its getting ridiculous.
AndrewLadd and Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
1. Yes. But only slightly better than WSH, STL, and BOS.
2. Meh. He’s had a pretty bad past year, especially the Subban trade. The rest is average. I think he’ll get a job as an Assistant General Manager, but probably not a GM ever again.
3. Yes
4. Pittsburgh could benefit the most, although it doesn’t make sense for them to trade for him. Cost would be a 1st and a 3rd, or something like that.
5. I’d be more concerned about abolishing the suspension for not going. Take the players that want to go, and you’ll be fine.
Brian2016 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 13, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
1. I still think STL and WASH are better suited for long playoff runs than TBL.

2. Imagine what the Devils future would look like if they hadn't won the Draft Lotto twice. At least he took Nico over Nolan (thankfully). Most of his free agent acquisitions have backfired except for Nikita Gusev, who has been one of the team's best players this season. I'm just grateful that the Simmonds deal is only for 1 season. Subban has actually been pretty solid defensively, but his market value is probably around $5M, not $9M!!! Shero's response to the media regarding the Hall trade last month was confusing non-responsive. Apparently, he never even offered Taylor Hall a contract extension!!!

3. Seems like the McDavid goal is the consensus top play so far. I think the Svechnikov goal was amazing, but when he did it again it was no longer unique.

4. I think the NYI are in desperate need of a top six scoring Winger. I don't see them advancing very far in the playoffs w/o some significant help up front. But, like "AndrewLaad" said, the Rangers probably won't trade within the Metro b/c of the risk of Kreider re-signing there. I think Kreider will end up in BOS. EDM and CGY are also strong possibilities, but only with an extension in place.

5. Ironically, the extra 5 day break has made the ASG even less appealing for star veteran players like Ovechkin and Fleury.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
How about abolishing the All-Star Game and sending the players to international competitions instead?
Brian2016 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 8:12 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
How about abolishing the All-Star Game and sending the players to international competitions instead?

I absolutely loved the World Cup a few years ago. I would rather see it played in late September though. They can, like you said, abolish the ASG and extend the regular season by 1 week.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll