SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

RASMUN SANDIN STARTS TO SAVE THE LEAFS SEASON TONIGHT

Jan. 14, 2020 at 11:55 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Jan. 15, 2020 at 12:12 a.m.
Rasmun Sandin played his first game tonight for the Leafs after being called up after Morgan Rielly was injured and delivered big time tonight with 2 assists in the Leafs 7 to 4 win over the New Jersey Devils.

Sandin has been called up to save the Maple Leafs season because of the team's loss of their No.1 defenceman in Morgan Rielly for 2 months and their No. 2 defenceman in Jake Muzzen for another month. I have gone on record to call him the best defenceman not playing in the NHL and his voting as top defenceman in the recent World Junior Championships and his stellar play in the American Hockey league for the last year and a half give him all the attributes to walk in and get the job done on the Leafs and save them until Rielly and Muzzen return which he showed tonight in his first game after being called up to the Leafs. He is the best Leafs defence prospect in the last 25 years and actually the best Leafs defence prospect since Borge Salming.

Sandin's arrival on the Leafs is going to propel the team to compete for the Stanley Cup this year because the the team is adding another potential 1rst or 2nd pairing defenceman in the Sandman to the team with Rielly and Muzzen.

Interested in others thoughts on whether you agree or disagree that the Sandman is going to save the Leafs season this year.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:26 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: TMLSage
Rasmun Sandin played his first game tonight for the Leafs after being called up after Morgan Rielly was injured and delivered big time tonight with 2 assists in the Leafs 7 to 4 win over the New Jersey Devils.

Sandin has been called up to save the Maple Leafs season because of the team's loss of their No.1 defenceman in Morgan Rielly for 2 months and their No. 2 defenceman in Jake Muzzen for another month. I have gone on record to call him the best defenceman not playing in the NHL and his voting as top defenceman in the recent World Junior Championships and his stellar play in the American Hockey league for the last year and a half give him all the attributes to walk in and get the job done on the Leafs and save them until Rielly and Muzzen return which he showed tonight in his first game after being called up to the Leafs. He is the best Leafs defence prospect in the last 25 years and actually the best Leafs defence prospect since Borge Salming.

Sandin's arrival on the Leafs is going to propel the team to compete for the Stanley Cup this year because the the team is adding another potential 1rst or 2nd pairing defenceman in the Sandman to the team with Rielly and Muzzen.

Interested in others thoughts on whether you agree or disagree that the Sandman is going to save the Leafs season this year.

I think sandin is a great prospect but with 2 games remaining till muzzin returns. Coincidently 2 games till sandin maxes out his trial period as well. Would it be that surprising if he was sent back down?
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: Jamiepo
I think sandin is a great prospect but with 2 games remaining till muzzin returns. Coincidently 2 games till sandin maxes out his trial period as well. Would it be that surprising if he was sent back down?

I would be really surprised if the Leafs sent him back down to the Marlies this year as he has proven he is just too good to be playing with the Marlies in the AHL. I realize he would probably play 25 minutes a night with the Marlies and also play on PP and PK which would be good for his development. However, he has proven he is ready to be an NHL player and think playing games and practicing with NHL players will actually challenge him and speed up his development faster than playing against weaker players in the AHL. He also gets 40 games to get up to NHL speed and be ready to really help the Leafs go on a long playoff run this year. He also gets more game playing minutes with the Leafs with Rielly injured and probably actually gets some PP and PK minutes. The Leafs can also send him back to the Marlies in the highly unlikely event that they are elminated early in this years NHL playoffs.

The Sandman reminds me alot like Petterson on the Canucks in that they are both very special hockey players who arrive and burst into the NHL and become dominant players immediately out of no where. The Sandman reminds me of Nik Lidstrom and he is going to be an absolutely dominent defenceman and franchise player for the Leafs. Leafs Nation has been waiting for years for a player like Sandin and they will not be disappointed.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 12:52 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I would be really surprised if the Leafs sent him back down to the Marlies this year as he has proven he is just too good to be playing with the Marlies in the AHL. I realize he would probably play 25 minutes a night with the Marlies and also play on PP and PK which would be good for his development. However, he has proven he is ready to be an NHL player and think playing games and practicing with NHL players will actually challenge him and speed up his development faster than playing against weaker players in the AHL. He also gets 40 games to get up to NHL speed and be ready to really help the Leafs go on a long playoff run this year. He also gets more game playing minutes with the Leafs with Rielly injured and probably actually gets some PP and PK minutes.

The Sandman reminds me alot like Petterson on the Canucks in that they are both very special hockey players who arrive and burst into the NHL and become dominant players immediately out of no where. The Sandman reminds me of Nik Lidstrom and he is going to be an absolutely dominent defenceman and franchise player for the Leafs. Leafs Nation has been waiting for years for a player like Sandin and they will not be disappointed.

Let’s not throw around names like lidstrom. Sandin is no where as defensively competent as Lid was.

The only way this works is if sandin is playing 15min a night or more. Whether that be on the third pair with ceci or the second pair with Dermott or Holl.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Let’s not throw around names like lidstrom. Sandin is no where as defensively competent as Lid was.

The only way this works is if sandin is playing 15min a night or more. Whether that be on the third pair with ceci or the second pair with Dermott or Holl.

You make very good points and I would normally agree with you 99 out of 100 times. However, everyone needs to realize that we are not dealing with a normal young hockey player. Sandin is a very special hockey player and is very similar to Elias Petterson in that they transition seamlessly to the NHL and become franchise impact players immediately. Sandman's hockey IQ is off the charts like Petterson and reiminds me of Gretzky.

You also need to realize that Sheldon Keefe is very aware that he has a very special player in Sanden and I think he will not be afraid to actually use him in the Leafs top pairing defenceman to give the Sandman even more confidence to just go out and play his normal elite game with the Leafs.

@PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:10 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
You make very good points and I would normally agree with you 99 out of 100 times. However, everyone needs to realize that we are not dealing with a normal young hockey player. Sandin is a very special hockey player and is very similar to Elias Petterson in that they transition seamlessly to the NHL and become franchise impact players immediately. Sandman's hockey IQ is off the charts like Petterson and reiminds me of Gretzky.

You also need to realize that Sheldon Keefe is very aware that he has a very special player in Sanden and think he will not be afraid to actually use him in the Leafs top pairing defenceman to give the Sandman even more confidence to just go out and play his normal elite game with the Leafs.

I think as usual you are a bit excited and maybe need to take a breath. I do agree that keefe is the type of coach to give him as much as he can handle.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 10:44 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Are you saying you are not a believer that Sandin can step immediately into the Leafs line-up and be a major force like Petterson for the Canucks.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
torontos finest
did he save the leafs yet
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 8:39 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: mondo
did he save the leafs yet

The Leafs have a win and a tie in the two games he played so yes I think he has started to save the Leafs season. You and I also both know that the Leafs should have actually beat Calgary except for a hot goalie, so yes he is starting to save the Leafs season until Rielly returns.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll