SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

How Good Is This Pens Team

Jan. 17, 2020 at 10:11 p.m.
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
Well it looked like they picked up the intensity in the third period & won those battles which led to more scoring opportunities. Overall not impressive for this road trip, especially yesterday. Time to go back home & send a message.

Exactly man...gotta give Murray the start on Sunday and see what happens.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 8:12 a.m.
Anyone concerned about the ways the Pens have played the last 2 games? They seem a step slow & aren’t playing with much intensity overall. There’s not enough movement in the offensive zone cycle. They’re not forechecking & winning those battles. Trying to play a cute game all puck possession but opponents are locking down all the shooting positions with ease.

Crosby came back and everything goes to pot...
Jan. 18, 2020 at 9:39 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: dgfresh78
Exactly man...gotta give Murray the start on Sunday and see what happens.

Yeah Murray is working his way back like we all expected.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
Banned
@AFOX10900 @dgfresh78 @bigZ98 @JordanFerreira99 @Sidstick87 @Yojimbo @mhockey91 @Chigurrhh

For me, the clear favorites to win the Stanley Cup this year are the Boston Bruins. They have are loaded in every position and they can win games in many different ways. They have the speed to overwhelm you. They have tremendous skill & can play a puck possession game. They play excellent defensively as a 5 man unit. They also have the grit & physicality to grind you down. I don’t think there is a team more complete than them right now. Do you think with a fully healthy Penguins team (excluding Jake), with no additional trades or acquisitions, are good enough to beat a healthy Bruins team in a 7 game series?

They can’t handle the Bruins cycle game. They are not aggressive enough and they are just backing down giving Boston all the space in the world.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 1:17 p.m.
They can’t handle the Bruins cycle game. They are not aggressive enough and they are just backing down giving Boston all the space in the world.

Jack Johnson literally screwed murray on two goals...it’s 1-1 right now if Dumoulin is healthy imo
mhockey91 liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 1:27 p.m.
Banned
Jack Johnson literally screwed murray on two goals...it’s 1-1 right now if Dumoulin is healthy imo

Yep I agree, Dumoulin can’t be back soon enough. But the team overall, they just look slow and can’t handle the Bruins’ forecheck & aggresiveness. Getting heavily outplayed. The team did a great job bringing in guys like McCann, Tanev, Kahun & Marino to replenish the speed and finesse on this team but it’s not enough it seems. This team isn’t the same as 2016 because the core players are all getting old.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
Yep I agree, Dumoulin can’t be back soon enough. But the team overall, they just look slow and can’t handle the Bruins’ forecheck & aggresiveness. Getting heavily outplayed. The team did a great job bringing in guys like McCann, Tanev, Kahun & Marino to replenish the speed and finesse on this team but it’s not enough it seems. This team isn’t the same as 2016 because the core players are all getting old.

I feel like that might be a bit of a reach because they all seem to be getting better with age and they haven’t lost a step. I also think the complimentary forwards are better than they were in 16 and 17 as well.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.
Banned
I feel like that might be a bit of a reach because they all seem to be getting better with age and they haven’t lost a step. I also think the complimentary forwards are better than they were in 16 and 17 as well.

I agree it’s definitely better than 2016 and 2017, considering they had Sheary during that time. They didn’t look good in the first period but that intensity is starting to come back this period. They are still missing 2 key defensemen and now Kahun out so there’s definitely still work to do.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 5:33 p.m.
Banned
@Arom5477 @Chigurrhh @CPH @CHUG @dgfresh78 @MajesticWalrus @gregb569 @bigZ98

Guys I have a question. If the playoffs started today, who’s your goalie? Matt Murray one Tristan Jarry?
Jan. 21, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
Guys I have a question. If the playoffs started today, who’s your goalie? Matt Murray one Tristan Jarry?

I would probably say if the playoffs started today, HCMS would probably go with Murray, but have him on a short leash like two games at most. Just based on the fact Murray got the last start in Boston. Personally I think Murray has earned at least a couple games, so I would probably do something like that. Fortunately there is lots of time for that to sort itself out.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 5:53 p.m.
Chiggy

Mine would be Jarry. Sullivan probably goes with Murray based o the last 10 games. But he would probably be willing to go with Jarry if he was the better goalie in the weeks leading up to the playoffs.
MajesticWalrus liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 8:54 p.m.

For me the starting job int the playoffs is still Murray's to lose. He's got two cups and he performs very well in the playoffs. When Murray is on his game he's one of the best in the league and he seems to step it up in the post season. But this question is also why I say we don't trade either goalie and we keep them both as long as we can.
MajesticWalrus and bigZ98 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.

I'd say jarry unless he goes cold i guess. He has just been too good. Best goalie in the league right now. 2nd in GAA, tied for 1st in SV%, and tied for 2nd in shutouts in the NHL.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.

Jarry. His stickhandling ability is just too interesting a wrinkle to not fully utilize. Multiple times last night in the Flyers game, you could see how Jarry truly helped out the PK/backchecking D-men with his ability to work with the puck. I think Sullivan would start Jarry, but if he had a bad game Murray would go in pretty quick.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 9:42 a.m.
bigZ

Both are on short leashes. If it started today? I think Murray would get the start but max 2 games and if things go iffy Jarry goes in. And if Jarry also struggles maybe in a later round Muzz goes back in. Good problem to have
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:24 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: bigZ98
Both are on short leashes. If it started today? I think Murray would get the start but max 2 games and if things go iffy Jarry goes in. And if Jarry also struggles maybe in a later round Muzz goes back in. Good problem to have

Quoting: Arom5477
Jarry. His stickhandling ability is just too interesting a wrinkle to not fully utilize. Multiple times last night in the Flyers game, you could see how Jarry truly helped out the PK/backchecking D-men with his ability to work with the puck. I think Sullivan would start Jarry, but if he had a bad game Murray would go in pretty quick.

Quoting: MajesticWalrus
I'd say jarry unless he goes cold i guess. He has just been too good. Best goalie in the league right now. 2nd in GAA, tied for 1st in SV%, and tied for 2nd in shutouts in the NHL.

Quoting: CPH
For me the starting job int the playoffs is still Murray's to lose. He's got two cups and he performs very well in the playoffs. When Murray is on his game he's one of the best in the league and he seems to step it up in the post season. But this question is also why I say we don't trade either goalie and we keep them both as long as we can.

Quoting: Chigurrhh
Mine would be Jarry. Sullivan probably goes with Murray based o the last 10 games. But he would probably be willing to go with Jarry if he was the better goalie in the weeks leading up to the playoffs.

Quoting: CHUG
I would probably say if the playoffs started today, HCMS would probably go with Murray, but have him on a short leash like two games at most. Just based on the fact Murray got the last start in Boston. Personally I think Murray has earned at least a couple games, so I would probably do something like that. Fortunately there is lots of time for that to sort itself out.

Yeah I think it’s important for Pittsburgh to keep both their goalies at least for this season. As long as Murray has his confidence, I can’t see why he wouldn’t be successful in the starter role. He’s getting it back but we need to see it more consistently.

This year we starting to see the emergence of the ZAR-Blueger-Tanev line. They have been very good and Sully has put a lot of trust in them. When Sid was out, he gave them the tough matchups. We saw during the Bruins game, Sully used them to take on the Bergeron line & they did a pretty good job. They have a combination of speed, grit & defensive awareness. They know their assignments, they play hard & they play in their opponents’ faces. Do you think Sully could use them as a shutdown line in the playoffs against other teams’ top players?
Jan. 23, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
If you can cash in on "I'm not working on getting better" high glove hand... ship him off...
Mar. 4, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
Banned
You know, I’m concerned about this major slump Jared McCann is currently in. Almost 20 games without a goal, his offence has totally dried up. He’s not even gotten many quality scoring chances. Honestly, I like his game a lot. He’s got good speed, hands, he forechecks & is good defensively, but this is real concerning. Could the constant changing of him throughout the lineup at both center & wing be killing his creativity?

What’d you guys think?

@MajesticWalrus @mhockey91 @Chigurrhh @Yojimbo @Jesus @Nights_King93 @pharrow
Mar. 4, 2020 at 10:47 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
You know, I’m concerned about this major slump Jared McCann is currently in. Almost 20 games without a goal, his offence has totally dried up. He’s not even gotten many quality scoring chances. Honestly, I like his game a lot. He’s got good speed, hands, he forechecks & is good defensively, but this is real concerning. Could the constant changing of him throughout the lineup at both center & wing be killing his creativity?

What’d you guys think?

@MajesticWalrus @mhockey91 @Chigurrhh @Yojimbo @Jesus @Nights_King93 @pharrow

I'm not really concerned about Mccann if Zucker and Rust are firing at full throttle like they are now down the stretch. McCann's a very versatile player like you said who can help us win without scoring. It's not like a Galchenyuk situation where his only value is scoring and he's a liability in his own end. He's basically a 6 foot 1 Carl Hagelin with Alex Galchenyuk's wrist shot, he's a great tool for Sullivan to have. I think one of the reasons why he's struggling is the fact that he was the 2nd line center for about two months did a very good job and then was forced back onto the wing once Sid got back and he hasn't really built any chemistry with a line yet. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Bjugstad is probably going to play tomorrow and he'll probably be the left wing on his line with Hornqvist on the left so we'll see how he does on that line.
Mar. 4, 2020 at 11:37 p.m.
Quoting: Jesus
I'm not really concerned about Mccann if Zucker and Rust are firing at full throttle like they are now down the stretch. McCann's a very versatile player like you said who can help us win without scoring. It's not like a Galchenyuk situation where his only value is scoring and he's a liability in his own end. He's basically a 6 foot 1 Carl Hagelin with Alex Galchenyuk's wrist shot, he's a great tool for Sullivan to have. I think one of the reasons why he's struggling is the fact that he was the 2nd line center for about two months did a very good job and then was forced back onto the wing once Sid got back and he hasn't really built any chemistry with a line yet. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Bjugstad is probably going to play tomorrow and he'll probably be the left wing on his line with Hornqvist on the left so we'll see how he does on that line.

Yeah. I don't mind him struggling as I think it will drive his price down a bit this offseason. Mccann needs 1-2 goals per series if he is playing bottom six as long as he isn't making the big mistake. He can't not score in the playoffs, though... The Pens need 3 scoring lines and the buzzsaw line to chip in a good offensive game here and there.

Jugs coming back is big if he is right, I hope he gives them 40 good games here to help this team get a cup. Let's hope he fits in and is playing well almost immediately. Those former Panthers could really elevate the bottom six.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 7:51 a.m.
A more team friendly contract this summer...
Mar. 8, 2020 at 5:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jesus

Quoting: Nights_King93
Yeah. I don't mind him struggling as I think it will drive his price down a bit this offseason. Mccann needs 1-2 goals per series if he is playing bottom six as long as he isn't making the big mistake. He can't not score in the playoffs, though... The Pens need 3 scoring lines and the buzzsaw line to chip in a good offensive game here and there.

Jugs coming back is big if he is right, I hope he gives them 40 good games here to help this team get a cup. Let's hope he fits in and is playing well almost immediately. Those former Panthers could really elevate the bottom six.

I felt the McCann-Bjugstad-Horny line looked good vs the Sabres, but after that, not really. The whole team has stunk since anyway.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll