SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/San Jose Sharks

Question about Burns

Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
With his contract expiring when he's 40, could he be traded? My bet is no.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
No
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
SENSAREELITE
YOU SAID THE ANSWER GJ
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Maybe for a low pick (which would neverhappen)
Jan. 15, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: MaxDomi13
Maybe for a low pick (which would neverhappen)

Man, what was Wilson thinking when he handed that contract? Mark my words in 2 years it'll be one of the worst one in the league
zk97 liked this.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.
If they want to get the best return, they should trade him asap because he's coming off slighly over PPG season (83 pts in 82GP) and his value will soon start to diminish.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.
Canes Baby
If Backstrom falls completely off, you could have a 1 for 1 wink
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
Well, be careful with these discussion posts, they’ve been getting closed by the mods. But to answer your question, I think no.

I still think he could be a really good offensive dman with a solid team but that contract really hurts. Him and Karlsson have some bad contracts. I think the only way he’d have a chance to get moved would be if they took an awful contract back. One that has term as well. So like a Lucic or something, it would end up being like a swap of bad contracts + some pieces to compensate for the skills burns does bring. It would be interesting to see if a team would inquire into a burns trade.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:20 p.m.
I know everyone wants a team full of 24 year old, 4M cap hit, 100 point scorers but that just isn't reality.

Burns will probably decline and more than likely won't be "worth" 8M when he's 38 but he doesn't necessarily need to be either. He's coming off 60+ and 80+ point seasons as a dman playing 25+ mins a night and well on his way to another 60 point season this year despite the team around him being poor. Even if he were to round out being a 30-40 point guy by the time the contract ends, he'd have been worth every penny.

People often forget that you have to take the good with the bad with a contract and hope that the good outweighs the bad throughout that entire time as a whole. If I had to choose between a star dman for 4 years then a declining dman for the last 4 years, over nothing at all, I'd take Burns till he's 40. With that said it all comes down to rate of decline and if he's still doing what he's doing at 34, I don't think he'll slow down rapidly to the point of buyout candidate.

If his rate of decline is like that of Brent Seabrooks than yeah but if he's still pumping out offensive numbers but just can't play 27 mins a night anymore so he needs a little more sheltered minutes, so be it. Don't forget you paid 8M for an 80+ point dman not too long ago, technically on a season by season basis, that's worth easily 11M like Karlsson. So you got him for cheaper than he should have been also.

From the looks of it, Burns makes me think he'll still be able to provide value as he ages, just like Shea Weber will. If you are expecting them to remain Norris calibre dmen until their contracts are over, you'll be disappointed but then again they don't have to be. They just can't be straight up bad.
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: tsyls
Well, be careful with these discussion posts, they’ve been getting closed by the mods. But to answer your question, I think no.

I still think he could be a really good offensive dman with a solid team but that contract really hurts. Him and Karlsson have some bad contracts. I think the only way he’d have a chance to get moved would be if they took an awful contract back. One that has term as well. So like a Lucic or something, it would end up being like a swap of bad contracts + some pieces to compensate for the skills burns does bring. It would be interesting to see if a team would inquire into a burns trade.

Karlsson isn't that bad, he'll be 36 at the end of it. The last 2 years may hurt, but for Burns, his last 4 years will hurt so...
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
MNBassman
I’d give you Mats Zuccarello (and his contract) for him in a heartbeat!
Jan. 15, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Karlsson isn't that bad, he'll be 36 at the end of it. The last 2 years may hurt, but for Burns, his last 4 years will hurt so...

I don’t see Karlsson getting better, I only see him getting worse... Both contracts suck

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll