Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 16, 2020
Published: Jan. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Montreal gets the 3rd overall pick
- They draft the German Tim Stuetzle

Reasoning behind the Gallagher trade.
- Gallagher has been the heart and soul behind the Canadiens for a number of years. This would allow Gallagher to be traded to a team that has the ability to do great things, while being a key player on the 2nd line with Kadri (a pesky energy line if you will).
The Canadiens have been stagnant the last few years, getting very close to playoffs but not succeeding. I believe that Gallagher deserves the opportunity to win a Stanley Cup, and personally I believe Colorado has a much higher chance than Montreal.
- This also sets Montreal up quite well for the future, giving Weber and Chiarot teaching roles for Romanov and Byram respectively. Romanov plays the same game as Weber (Physical, Offensive, Two Way player) and having the guidance of Weber would be highly beneficial in his development.
Moving Gallagher also allows for the rookies to move up the lineup. Caufield can get the opportunity to shine on the 2nd line and Suzuki can do Suzuki things with Domi and Drouin.

The Petry Trade
- Winnipeg is in need of a defenseman and assuming that Buff is done for the year (injuries etc.) then getting a Top 4 D-Man in Petry would help give the team the boost it needs to succeed in their pursuit of a playoff spot.
- Petry could also act as a mentor to Heinola, who is a very promising player on the Jets.

Backes Trade
- Acquiring a late 1st to take back some cap for a year, since Montreal has the space. Also also Poehling more time in the AHL to hone his game to become a middle 6 talent for Montreal in the following season.
This trade would be done during the draft if Boston needed some help. I know that its in-division and would be helping out a rival, but having Backes in the room as a veteran voice would likely be beneficial to the kids.

Domi Contract/Gallagher Contract
- Both players are solid 60 point guys.
- I don't think players that aren't exceeding 80+ points should get contracts in the 8+ mil range (looking at you Johansen/Hayes/to an extent Skinner). The term is also short enough that if Domi hits it big, then he can earn himself a massive payday.

The Domi contract is also team friendly enough that if the rookies play extremely well and Price is back in form, then the Canadiens can afford some trade deadline talent to push for a cup.
Or if the team plays poorly there is enough cap space to trade away Tatar and also take back some contracts to continue to stockpile assets.

C - Weber
A - Byron
A - Chiarot/Backes/Domi (Domi could be the next Captain?)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,250,000
4$3,500,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
2$925,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Byram, Bowen
  2. 2020 4th round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Deadline Deal - Gallagher Sign and Trade (5 years at 7M)
Reminiscent of the Stone Trade to Vegas (lower pick, same potential prospect)
COL
  1. Gallagher, Brendan
Additional Details:
Deadline Deal - Gallagher Sign and Trade (5 years at 7M)
Reminiscent of the Stone Trade to Vegas (lower pick, same potential prospect)
MTL
  1. Stanley, Logan
  2. Vesalainen, Kristian
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Done at the Trade Deadline of the 2019-2020 season
Not sure if this is super fair for Winnipeg at the moment, seeing as they would like an extra defenseman. Its roughly the same cost of Muzzin for Toronto with slightly more household names and a lesser pick.
WPG
  1. Petry, Jeff ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Done at the Trade Deadline of the 2019-2020 season
Not sure if this is super fair for Winnipeg at the moment, seeing as they would like an extra defenseman. Its roughly the same cost of Muzzin for Toronto with slightly more household names and a lesser pick.
MTL
  1. Backes, David
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. 2020 7th round pick (CHI)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,000,000$69,592,976$0$5,557,500$13,407,024
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 16, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.
The CEO of reported
Not trying to kill you, but anyone who even knows a little bit about prospects knows that these trades are absolutely horrible
Jan. 16, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.
very interesting perspective. but it'll be tough to trade gally. his work ethic every night is so consistent, thats its tough to lose him. him and kadri would be annoying af to play against. and i just dont see the boston trade happening. bos mtl rivalry ya know. but i really appreciate your very insightful and well balanced perspective
jmac490 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
Lenny7
Great job!

Don’t see the Avs moving out Byram (maybe they would?), but I could see something centred around Timmins, a prospect and a higher pick?

I don’t hate the Winnipeg one, but I guess it’ll depend on Buff.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 11:51 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Congrats! Everybody declines those deals, except Montreal getting a 1st to assume the salary (4M) of Backes next year. But Backes has a 8 teams NTC this year, and MTL is not on it.
MGK liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:09 p.m.
Boston would never.

Backes to Ottawa after his signing bonus is paid in the summer, seems likely.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: Dach
Not trying to kill you, but anyone who even knows a little bit about prospects knows that these trades are absolutely horrible

I can maybe see the point with Byram (he's very good and will be elite one day), but Gallagher is a great player. Plays with a lot of heart. I could do this deal around a different defensive prospect (Colorado has an immense wealth in Graves, Zads, Makar, Timmins, Girard and to an extent forwards Kaut, Bowers (maybe?), losing Byram and gaining a need in a Top 6 guy is detrimental and beneficial all at the same time)
But Stanley (imo) isn't very special. I grew up with him and he isn't the faster skater or the hardest shot or really even the most physical guy on the ice for being a 6'7" 230 frame. (I could see why some people like him at least)
I also like Vesy from the Jets. He will likely grow into something special.

What would you change to make the deals more "fair"?
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: MGK
Boston would never.

Backes to Ottawa after his signing bonus is paid in the summer, seems likely.

Quoting: jpsnow13
Congrats! Everybody declines those deals, except Montreal getting a 1st to assume the salary (4M) of Backes next year. But Backes has a 8 teams NTC this year, and MTL is not on it.

I could make it a 2nd if that seems more "fair". Not many teams in the NHL have cap room to really play with, so Backes would likely have to go to an Atlantic team (Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal). Sucks to have to trade within the division.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: jmac490
I can maybe see the point with Byram (he's very good and will be elite one day), but Gallagher is a great player. Plays with a lot of heart. I could do this deal around a different defensive prospect (Colorado has an immense wealth in Graves, Zads, Makar, Timmins, Girard and to an extent forwards Kaut, Bowers (maybe?), losing Byram and gaining a need in a Top 6 guy is detrimental and beneficial all at the same time)
But Stanley (imo) isn't very special. I grew up with him and he isn't the faster skater or the hardest shot or really even the most physical guy on the ice for being a 6'7" 230 frame. (I could see why some people like him at least)
I also like Vesy from the Jets. He will likely grow into something special.

What would you change to make the deals more "fair"?

Well a trade that would be blockbuster would be Tatar - Danault - Gallagher all going to the same place for a 1st line with as good chemistry and skill, if not better
THAT would be insane
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:14 p.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
very interesting perspective. but it'll be tough to trade gally. his work ethic every night is so consistent, thats its tough to lose him. him and kadri would be annoying af to play against. and i just dont see the boston trade happening. bos mtl rivalry ya know. but i really appreciate your very insightful and well balanced perspective

As a Leafs fan, Gally plays with so much heart and grit. The Leafs would love somebody with heart and grit (seeing as Hyman/the Marlies are the only ones playing with heart on a nightly basis). Seeing Gally in a Leafs jersey would crush the fans though, so I can only dream
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: MaxDomi13
Well a trade that would be blockbuster would be Tatar - Danault - Gallagher all going to the same place for a 1st line with as good chemistry and skill, if not better
THAT would be insane

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher for Crosby? for MacKinnon? for McDavid?

I honestly don't think trading a 1st line for a single franchise player would be beneficial to anyone really. Not to mention the cap of 1 player vs 3
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
2 things... 1 Gallagher cant sign nor can he agree to an extension at the deadline...and 2 stop trading Byram to the Habs avs are not trading him, how hard of a concept is that to understand on this site

Just drafted 4th overall.....this site October to January Avs are going to trade him in every possible rental or deadline type deal possible

Just dumb
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:18 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher for Crosby? for MacKinnon? for McDavid?

I honestly don't think trading a 1st line for a single franchise player would be beneficial to anyone really. Not to mention the cap of 1 player vs 3

Tatar Danault Gallagher is almost equal to McDavid

And I didn't mean just one franchise player I meant like a 1st line that has good chemistry
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
As a Leafs fan, Gally plays with so much heart and grit. The Leafs would love somebody with heart and grit (seeing as Hyman/the Marlies are the only ones playing with heart on a nightly basis). Seeing Gally in a Leafs jersey would crush the fans though, so I can only dream

habs would charge u the moon for him
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
habs would charge u the moon for him

Best we can do is Bracco
- sincerely every leafs ACGM
Jan. 16, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Great job!

Don’t see the Avs moving out Byram (maybe they would?), but I could see something centred around Timmins, a prospect and a higher pick?

I don’t hate the Winnipeg one, but I guess it’ll depend on Buff.

To me Hall was worth more than gallagher, if hall + signing wasnt worth byram, i don't see how gallagher can be. I know hall wouldnt negotiate, but col has to be the obvious front runner, and in a scenario where he does extend, i still believe byram was off the table

Quoting: Dach

Quoting: coga16
2 things... 1 Gallagher cant sign nor can he agree to an extension at the deadline...and 2 stop trading Byram to the Habs avs are not trading him, how hard of a concept is that to understand on this site

Just drafted 4th overall.....this site October to January Avs are going to trade him in every possible rental or deadline type deal possible

Just dumb
Lenny7 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 1:27 p.m.
You know nothing JS
I could make it a 2nd if that seems more "fair". Not many teams in the NHL have cap room to really play with, so Backes would likely have to go to an Atlantic team (Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal). Sucks to have to trade within the division.

I dont think you understand how a No Trade List works. Look it up.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
I dont think you understand how a No Trade List works. Look it up.

I googled the specifics of Backes NTC... No where did it say what teams are on or off of said list.
So hypothetically speaking Montreal could be on the list because no one other than the Bruins brass (and maybe teams that have inquired/Backes/his agent) know what is on said list.

This is also a hypothetical website. It's all speculation. You don't have to be rude for the sake of being rude.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
Quoting: coga16

Just dumb

This is a 2020-2021 roster... So yes he can be signed to an extension during that season.

And I'm sorry for hurting your feelings by putting Byram in a trade.

Hopefully I didn't ruin your day.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: glc_0908
To me Hall was worth more than gallagher, if hall + signing wasnt worth byram, i don't see how gallagher can be. I know hall wouldnt negotiate, but col has to be the obvious front runner, and in a scenario where he does extend, i still believe byram was off the table

That is a fair point with Hall.
So by extension I'm comparing it to the Mark Stone trade.
Stone > Hall > Gallagher
Byram > Brannstrom

So in your opinion, the deal should be structured around a different prospect like Timmins since an essential 1 for 1 is out the question for the Avs.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
Boris Bagel
no thanks from Habs
jmac490 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.
You know nothing JS
I googled the specifics of Backes NTC... No where did it say what teams are on or off of said list.
So hypothetically speaking Montreal could be on the list because no one other than the Bruins brass (and maybe teams that have inquired/Backes/his agent) know what is on said list.

This is also a hypothetical website. It's all speculation. You don't have to be rude for the sake of being rude.

No need to google it.

This very site tells you he has a NTC with 8 teams he can accept to be traded this year. Im sorry you feel offended because I asked you to educate yourself before arguing your opinion.

In fact, Boston can't move him at all without his conscent, because all he has to do is to choose 8 teams that can't afford him. You will find enough informations on this very site to realise there is plenty of that.

He won't move because his life is there and he has a chance to win the cup every year. No way he puts freakin OTT MTL or DET on his list to go finish his carreer miserably at the bottom of the standing.

On a side note.

Hypothetical doesn't mean it doesn't need to be plausible. Or go trade McDavid for a 7 th round pick and argue about what a great hypothesis you came up with.

Whatever.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
No need to google it.

This very site tells you he has a NTC with 8 teams he can accept to be traded this year. Im sorry you feel offended because I asked you to educate yourself before arguing your opinion.

In fact, Boston can't move him at all without his conscent, because all he has to do is to choose 8 teams that can't afford him. You will find enough informations on this very site to realise there is plenty of that.

He won't move because his life is there and he has a chance to win the cup every year. No way he puts freakin OTT MTL or DET on his list to go finish his carreer miserably at the bottom of the standing.

On a side note.

Hypothetical doesn't mean it doesn't need to be plausible. Or go trade McDavid for a 7 th round pick and argue about what a great hypothesis you came up with.

Whatever.

So maybe I'm just stupid. So I go to NTC/NMC, Filter for Boston, Select Backes. Clause is 8 team tradable in 19/20, 15 team in 20/21.

Are you able to find the specific 8 teams he can go to through Capfriendly (if so id actually like to know where he will accept).

I'm struggling to find who the 8 or 15 teams he would accept a trade to. Just not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Also yes Boston can move him to any of the 8 teams he has approved without his consent. That number then becomes 15 next year as per terms of his contract.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 9:50 a.m.
That is a fair point with Hall.
So by extension I'm comparing it to the Mark Stone trade.
Stone > Hall > Gallagher
Byram > Brannstrom

So in your opinion, the deal should be structured around a different prospect like Timmins since an essential 1 for 1 is out the question for the Avs.

exactly, crazy how reason and respect on this site work lmao

i cant stand the *insert gm slams phone down* comments lol
Jan. 17, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
Quoting: glc_0908
exactly, crazy how reason and respect on this site work lmao

i cant stand the *insert gm slams phone down* comments lol

its a little funny. I can take constructive criticism (as I know my trades aren't perfect, even some real life GM trades aren't perfect), but its funny when you just get constantly attacked for proposing something.

(Are you an idiot, Byram is the next Bobby Orr, much better than the prime years of Gallagher)
(Do you know how contracts work dummy? I was just trying to learn where someone could be traded to (as per terms of the contract, which I can't see specifics of teams that a player would accept) etc.

At least it wasn't another Bracco for Georgiev trade.

Thanks for the comment smile
Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:03 a.m.
its a little funny. I can take constructive criticism (as I know my trades aren't perfect, even some real life GM trades aren't perfect), but its funny when you just get constantly attacked for proposing something.

(Are you an idiot, Byram is the next Bobby Orr, much better than the prime years of Gallagher)
(Do you know how contracts work dummy? I was just trying to learn where someone could be traded to (as per terms of the contract, which I can't see specifics of teams that a player would accept) etc.

At least it wasn't another Bracco for Georgiev trade.

Thanks for the comment smile

my personal favorite is "thats not nearly enough, it starts with *insert your teams mackinnon hischier or petterson*, then the guy actually gets traded and its like a b prospect and a 5th
jmac490 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll