Forums/Armchair-GM

Trading Strome and DeBrincat

Created by: Stan_Bowman
Initial Creation Date: Jan 16, 2020
Published: Jan 16 at 1:28 pm
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Team Explanation
wouldn’t want to do this IRL, but this trade idea kinda just popped into my head and I wanted to see what it looked like “on paper”

Remember it’s just for fun, I think I turned out a pretty good team for this stupid idea just popping in there.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
Mitchell, Ian2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Kubalik, Dominik4$3,750,000
Lankinen, Kevin2$1,000,000
Patrick, Nolan2$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Lehner, Robin5$7,000,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
  2. Patrick, Nolan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Anything else to balance this out?
PHI
  1. DeBrincat, Alex
CHI
  1. Larkin, Dylan
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Strome, Dylan [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 1st round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
Trade happens at the Draft. For the purposes of this post let’s say it’s a top 10 pick.
CHI
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
TOR
  1. De Haan, Calvin
Additional Details:
I might be off base here, but I could see something this happening. Depending on how much Muzzin wants and who they sign. Let’s not focus on this one too much though the other two trades are where I want feedback
Buyouts
  • Olli Määttä: $680,600
  • Zack Smith: $1,083,333
DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
DET
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
MTL
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$84,000,000$82,752,395$0$4,282,500$1,247,605
Left WingCenterRight Wing
CHI
Kubalik, Dominik
$3,750,000
LW
RFA
CHI
Toews, Jonathan
$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
CHI
Saad, Brandon
$6,000,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
TOR
Johnsson, Andreas
$3,400,000
LW
UFA - 3
DET
Larkin, Dylan
$6,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
CHI
Kane, Patrick
$10,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
Patrick, Nolan
$3,000,000
C, RW
RFA
CHI
Dach, Kirby
$925,000
C
RFA - 2
CHI
Nylander, Alexander
$863,333
RW, LW
RFA - 1
CHI
Hagel, Brandon
$880,833
LW
RFA - 1
CHI
Entwistle, Mackenzie
$811,667
C
RFA - 2
CHI
Carpenter, Ryan
$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
PHI
Gostisbehere, Shayne
$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
CHI
Boqvist, Adam
$894,167
RD
RFA - 2
CHI
Lehner, Robin
$7,000,000
G
UFA
CHI
Keith, Duncan
$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
CHI
Murphy, Connor
$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
CHI
Lankinen, Kevin
$1,000,000
G
RFA
CHI
Seabrook, Brent
$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
CHI
Mitchell, Ian
$925,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
CHI
Sikura, Dylan
$750,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
CHI
Shaw, Andrew
$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
CHI
Kämpf, David
$1,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
CHI
Gilbert, Dennis
$925,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan 16 at 1:29
SENSAREELITE
Do u have a brain
Jan 16 at 1:30
#NylanderTruther
Quoting: nobrainsensfan
Do u have a brain

Could be, but probably not.
Jan 16 at 1:30
Don't think you could get larkin even with the pick, he's shown he can put up good numbers on a really bad team and I don't think theres a way to get him without massive overpayment. For debrincat I'd steer clear of patrick purely due to injuries, it has the potential to just be ghost for debrincat
Jan 16 at 1:32
first i want to question why you are getting patrick. Who is on ltir and whos career may actually be in jeopardy with his migraine problem. You are practically gifting them debrincat who is already an elite scorer... Second strome and larkin are on MUCH different levels. the difference between a first this year and a 2nd this year will not make up that difference.
Jan 16 at 1:36
#NylanderTruther
Quoting: CrossFireX33
Don't think you could get larkin even with the pick, he's shown he can put up good numbers on a really bad team and I don't think theres a way to get him without massive overpayment. For debrincat I'd steer clear of patrick purely due to injuries, it has the potential to just be ghost for debrincat

I think there is a significant gap in value when comparing Cat to Ghost. We’ve been known to take flyers (heh get it) on guys before.

I think Strome for Larkin is pretty interesting because it solves the problem that has been brought up by hawks fans about Strome and Dach being the same archetype of player.
CrossFireX33 liked this.
Jan 16 at 1:39
Hugh Hefner of CF
If Nolan Patrick fails a physical, would you want the trade cancelled?

That's not enough for Larkin.

De Haan trade is interesting, can he play well his offside???
Jan 16 at 1:48
#NylanderTruther
Quoting: Trickster
If Nolan Patrick fails a physical, would you want the trade cancelled?

That's not enough for Larkin.

De Haan trade is interesting, can he play well his offside???

He actually can play his offside decently well, but I wouldn’t be using that as a selling point.

To your first point yes, Nolan’s health is very important to this trade

Strome and Larkin, in my opinion, are both going to be very similar point producers (60-75 point range). I can accept that the trade I propose may not be enough but I think it’s close perhaps drop the second all together?
Jan 16 at 1:53
#NylanderTruther
@exo2769
@ChiHawk

Thoughts?
Jan 16 at 1:55
Buffbry
Detroit declines, your not getting Larkin for anything on your roster. He is their future and everything to wings fans. you would have to make it so lopsided that yzerman can't say no which means it won't happen. Think like 1st, dach, boqvist, beaudin, debricant for him. It's unrealistic it's like Edmonton trading macdavid, I know the value is different but that is how unavailable Larkin is.
Trickster liked this.
Jan 16 at 2:05
#NylanderTruther
Quoting: buffbry
Detroit declines, your not getting Larkin for anything on your roster. He is their future and everything to wings fans. you would have to make it so lopsided that yzerman can't say no which means it won't happen. Think like 1st, dach, boqvist, beaudin, debricant for him. It's unrealistic it's like Edmonton trading macdavid, I know the value is different but that is how unavailable Larkin is.

I understand.
buffbry liked this.
Jan 16 at 2:05
That's not getting Larkin IMO but that said, I wouldn't want to give up a top 10 pick this year plus Strome as a top 10 pick, moreso a top 5, is going to get a player as good as Larkin likely.

Toronto trade is interesting and might be possible, if so, I'd be interested in it.

No on the Philly trade for reasons mentioned above surrounding Patrick Nolan. SB is great but can we not go to free agency and find someone without giving up Cat? Johnsson will hardly produce what Cat although is a better defender and stronger on the puck.

For the record, I'm not opposed to trading Strome or Cat but would be more interested in a trade for someone like Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Byram, etc.

Hagel is definitely not a 4th liner. Sikura is a better player right now then Nylander. Nylander has more tools in the shed but has yet to unlock them. Entwistle is interesting 4th line option and could be ready but right now Highmore is better and should be re-signed.
Jan 16 at 2:13
exo2769
Yeah, I don't think it'll get Larkin either. and the other two are tough due to injury situations. Not just Nolan, but DeHaan too. 2nd shoulder surgery (same shoulder) in consecutive years. I'm not so she his trade value is equal to that of his playing ability.

I actually think Debrincat to DET might be an interesting trade. Debrincat is from Farmington Hills and grew up a Red Wing fan. Caveat, I think I read somewhere that he moved to CHI in high school or something like that. Anyway, he's stated he grew up a Red Wing fan. Maybe a Debrincat for Moritz??? Moritz > Byram IMO. AND I was a Byram guy at the draft too! I just very much doubt he'd still be a top 10 pick in last years draft considering how much worse he's playing this year with relatively the same team. (leading scorer gone sure, but a lot of the forwards are the same, the goalies are the same, and he's supposed to be key for the defense...Also, every team lost a player or two) Combined with how a lot of these other 1st rounders have stepped up.
Jan 16 at 2:28
Jets Fan
Unpopular opinion:

Hawks would lose that Larkin trade. If you consider Strome as almost equal to Larkin since he’s younger and can probably get to the same level, then add a top 10 pick in a fairly top heavy draft year, that draft pick could turn out to be just as good as either player.

I agree DET wouldn’t say yes to the deal because he’s their guy, but if I’m Bowman I reject if you know how high that pick will be
Jan 16 at 3:20
#NylanderTruther
Quoting: Boggsauce
Unpopular opinion:

Hawks would lose that Larkin trade. If you consider Strome as almost equal to Larkin since he’s younger and can probably get to the same level, then add a top 10 pick in a fairly top heavy draft year, that draft pick could turn out to be just as good as either player.

I agree DET wouldn’t say yes to the deal because he’s their guy, but if I’m Bowman I reject if you know how high that pick will be

I actually think that Strome and Larkin are going to produce at a very similar level over the next couple years, I don’t think other will agree until he puts up 60-70 points
Jan 16 at 3:21
#NylanderTruther
Quoting: exo2769
Yeah, I don't think it'll get Larkin either. and the other two are tough due to injury situations. Not just Nolan, but DeHaan too. 2nd shoulder surgery (same shoulder) in consecutive years. I'm not so she his trade value is equal to that of his playing ability.

I actually think Debrincat to DET might be an interesting trade. Debrincat is from Farmington Hills and grew up a Red Wing fan. Caveat, I think I read somewhere that he moved to CHI in high school or something like that. Anyway, he's stated he grew up a Red Wing fan. Maybe a Debrincat for Moritz??? Moritz > Byram IMO. AND I was a Byram guy at the draft too! I just very much doubt he'd still be a top 10 pick in last years draft considering how much worse he's playing this year with relatively the same team. (leading scorer gone sure, but a lot of the forwards are the same, the goalies are the same, and he's supposed to be key for the defense...Also, every team lost a player or two) Combined with how a lot of these other 1st rounders have stepped up.

Big problem with Moritz is that he is a RHD shot.
Jan 16 at 4:03
I think you are undervaluing Dylan Larkin. While a #10 overall pick + Strome is a large package, Larkin is a cornerstone guy to build off of.

I would eliminate the 2nd rounder and add a defensive prospect.
Jan 16 at 11:50
Jets Fan
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
I actually think that Strome and Larkin are going to produce at a very similar level over the next couple years, I don’t think other will agree until he puts up 60-70 points

Yeah I mean he kind of already is. Almost a ppg with the hawks last year, should get around 60 this year

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Remove Option
Submit Poll