Forums/Armchair-GM

Crazy Sharks rebuild and new goalie

Created by: Chigurrhh
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 16, 2020
Published: Jan. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A more extreme offseason trade with Sharks.

Penguins take on most of Martin Jones contract but get two really good players out of it. Sharks get Matt Murray. Murray's value will depend on how much he bounces back the rest of the season. He's been a bit better lately.

Penguins take on Jones, buy him out and use the new pieces to try to win right now.

You can argue about picks and prospects to make the deal more even but this is the general idea. Penguins probably add a bit more.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
3$2,000,000
7$4,200,000
1$3,500,000
4$4,000,000
1$1,200,000
4$3,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Jones, Martin ($500,000 retained)
  2. Labanc, Kevin [RFA Rights]
  3. Meier, Timo
SJS
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
  2. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$85,000,000$78,325,000$0$850,000$6,675,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,200,000$4,200,000
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 16, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.
I think the pens are in no position to take on a guy just for the purpose of buying him out. That is a really bad idea. The return would have to be astronomical. And this is far from that.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
It's even worse to mismanage funds in a cap structured league. Grossly overpaid many players.
claysbar liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
Quoting: DonkeyLips
I think the pens are in no position to take on a guy just for the purpose of buying him out. That is a really bad idea. The return would have to be astronomical. And this is far from that.

I think that return is pretty astronomical
papishark liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Banned
You can’t seriously think the Sharks will give you Meier easily like that. Try giving up what Arizona gave to get Hall.
papishark liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 3:44 p.m.
Did you actually call that realistic? We trade one dump and two great players for two dumps and a bad pick. Take out Meier and Bjug and maybe
Jan. 16, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
claysbar
Quoting: OldTimeHockeyFan
It's even worse to mismanage funds in a cap structured league. Grossly overpaid many players.

Yeah. McCann at 3.5 isn't too bad but he really is nothing more than Rust/Tanev but can play C. MP, really good 2nd pairing, can't pay him more than Dumo. Riko I can live with, Jarry unless a Cup run gets a 2-2.5 show me. Labanc may just be Labanc (rupt) gambling on himself off of last year. Then there is Simon....I'm sorry, screw "metrics" but unless this guy is working the turnstyles before the game and sweeping up after, I have no Idea why he is in the NHL.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 5:33 p.m.
Banned
Martin Jones:.....no thanks.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 6:13 p.m.
Chiggy
Edited Jan. 16, 2020 at 6:47 p.m.

Besides Jarry getting 4 million after one good season, who is overpaid?

McCann will be putting up ~50 points and ~25 goals. That number should grow as he plays on Crosby's wing for the second half of the season.

Simon should be around ~40 points this year playing on Crosby's wing. Conor Sheary ended up over 3 million for being a passenger on Sid's line.

Marcus Pettersson is better than Rasmus Andersson by pretty much every metric and that guy got ~4.5, long term.

"Grossly overpaid". Sounds like you don't have very good grasp on contract values and also completely ignored the point of the post.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 6:15 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: claysbar
Yeah. McCann at 3.5 isn't too bad but he really is nothing more than Rust/Tanev but can play C. MP, really good 2nd pairing, can't pay him more than Dumo. Riko I can live with, Jarry unless a Cup run gets a 2-2.5 show me. Labanc may just be Labanc (rupt) gambling on himself off of last year. Then there is Simon....I'm sorry, screw "metrics" but unless this guy is working the turnstyles before the game and sweeping up after, I have no Idea why he is in the NHL.

Ah another person that doesn't understand that Simon at the very least is a decent NHL player. Like even if he doesn't score and you ignore "metrics". This is a stupid take. Flawed player but wins puck battles, is in position defensively, and makes great passes. Crosby likes him on his line. He probably has a better idea than you do.

And yes, you can play MP more than Dumoulin since this contract would be singed a few years later and the comparable contract for Rasmus Andersson is higher despite Andersson being worse. He also produces more offense than Dumoulin which gets players paid.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chigurrhh

McCann will be putting up ~50 points and ~25 goals. That number should grow as he plays on Crosby's wing for the second half of the season.

Simon should be around ~40 points this year playing on Crosby's wing. Conor Sheary ended up over 3 million for being a passenger on Sid's line.

Marcus Pettersson is better than Rasmus Andersson by pretty much every metric and that guy got ~4.5, long term.

"Grossly overpaid". Sounds like you don't have very good grasp on contract values and also completely ignored the point of the post.

Why does just about every OP get so upset and have to sling insults when their AGMs get questioned. It's not that serious dude, jeez. You do know we can both disagree with one another and still be cordial at the same time right?

My point is that you have given out contracts based on very little. When these players are under RFA status, the team has the control. In the cap era, you don't want to hand out money like that and handicap yourself for future deals.

For instance. If you were a bit more conservative with payments and could cut 250k-500k per player, you would have saved roughly 1.75m-3.5m. That is a nice chunk of money to have lying around in case of emergency, improving the team through free agency or if by chance a nice trade offer gets laid upon your doorstep.

Then you are crippling the team by having 2.875m still count towards the salary cap by acquiring Jones and then buying him out. So essentially you are paying Jarry 6.875m per year till the buyout is off the books. No matter what the point of your AGM is, it's undeniably terrible asset management and financially irresponsible. There's not even an argument in that respect.

I wasn't questioning the skill set of the free agents. I'm merely pointing out what I mentioned above about the economic side of running a team.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
Banned

I must disagree about Simon. He may not light the lamp much but he does all the small things well and isn't an anchor to his line mates no matter what line he's on and/or who he plays with. He plays a smart game and has speed. He is an above average skater and passer and is defensively sound for a forward. He battles hard and has enough versatility to move up and down the lineup. I wouldn't pay him more than 1.5m but that is just my opinion.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
Banned

I must disagree about Simon. He may not light the lamp much but he does all the small things well and isn't an anchor to his line mates no matter what line he's on and/or who he plays with. He plays a smart game and has speed. He is an above average skater and passer and is defensively sound for a forward. He battles hard and has enough versatility to move up and down the lineup. Sorry about the double quote. Not sure why it does that.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chigurrhh

That is all speculative. You can't accurately predict what kind of numbers or success a player is going to have. You should know that as you have mentioned "metrics" multiple times in your arguments with others. There are too many factors to consider and any one of those could negate your assumptions. Saying what you said though, yes, they could very well produce that and that's when you should pay accordingly. You pay based off past accomplishments not what you hope they will do. For arguments sake, a right handed puck moving defenseman is more coveted than the left handed counterpart so that is a factor in Andersson's inflated contract.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 1:17 a.m.
Chiggy
That is all speculative. You can't accurately predict what kind of numbers or success a player is going to have. You should know that as you have mentioned "metrics" multiple times in your arguments with others. There are too many factors to consider and any one of those could negate your assumptions. Saying what you said though, yes, they could very well produce that and that's when you should pay accordingly. You pay based off past accomplishments not what you hope they will do. For arguments sake, a right handed puck moving defenseman is more coveted than the left handed counterpart so that is a factor in Andersson's inflated contract.

Well, it's obvious speculative. That's the point, buddy. You acting like these are massive overpayments is pretty silly.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll