Logo of the Dallas Stars
Oula Palve · $0$792,500$70,000 (AHL/JR)
Sum: $0$792,500$70,000
Change: $0
Change: +$47,500
Change: +$70,000
Pittsburgh Penguins Acquire:
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
John Nyberg · $0$745,000$70,000 (AHL/JR)
Sum: $0$745,000$70,000
Change: $0
Change: -$47,500
Change: +$70,000
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Wow a fringe Ahler trade! Pittsburgh wins as they get the younger guy.
Predcam liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.
Pens acquire a relatively unknown young defensemen from a western conference team? Is this deja vu?
AwesomeMatthews and mhockey91 liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Intriguing Trade
jasondomitrovic liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
Majors and minors
subsequently getting younger... y didn't Pitts ask for Honka?
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: CoraStorm

I don't think Honka can actually play until next season.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Majors and minors
Quoting: CoraStorm

The issue with Dallas n draft picks.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
Don't think either player will ever become NHL players. AHL trade.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
Two Euro players that signed in North America but didn't quite make it. Minor league flip to see if either clicks. Most likely both head back over the pond next year.
rebecca liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
gregb569
Great trade for the Pens! Get a good sized D who's playing well in the AHL and young-ish
jasondomitrovic liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
This is actually the kind of trade that I would like to pick a GM's brain about. Non-NHL prospects.

Did the Penguins contact the Stars saying that they needed some AHL D depth and the Stars had a lot, so what do you want for who? Did the Stars want some AHL F depth and contacted the Penguins?
Jan. 17, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: Yojimbo
This is actually the kind of trade that I would like to pick a GM's brain about. Non-NHL prospects.

Did the Penguins contact the Stars saying that they needed some AHL D depth and the Stars had a lot, so what do you want for who? Did the Stars want some AHL F depth and contacted the Penguins?

Considering both teams were in the same place when this happened and the guys just swapped lockers, this odd exchange might have happened in person.
The_Madhawk and rebecca liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
GM67
I think JR made a very good DEPTH move here to acquire a 23 year old BIG Swedish defensemen for an AHL player with a bad plus/minus (-20). Also, JR might be looking to move Jack Johnson to a team like the Islanders, Toronto or Carolina who have ALL lost a top defensemen for the season/longterm due to injury. NHL quality playing defensemen are at a premium right now and our closet is stocked right now for the immediate need if teams come asking. Keep in mind that John Marino was apparently NOT going anywhere at all when Edmonton had him and we can see what happened there. Keep an eye on JR because something else is in the works.
AwesomeMatthews liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 1:28 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: jasondomitrovic
I think JR made a very good DEPTH move here to acquire a 23 year old BIG Swedish defensemen for an AHL player with a bad plus/minus (-20). Also, JR might be looking to move Jack Johnson to a team like the Islanders, Toronto or Carolina who have ALL lost a top defensemen for the season/longterm due to injury. NHL quality playing defensemen are at a premium right now and our closet is stocked right now for the immediate need if teams come asking. Keep in mind that John Marino was apparently NOT going anywhere at all when Edmonton had him and we can see what happened there. Keep an eye on JR because something else is in the works.

While I think we all hope he moves JJ.......I think the reality is Schultz is going to be the next defenseman out the door. He's not a 3RD. But that's the only role for him here.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 4:29 p.m.
GM67
Quoting: pharrow
While I think we all hope he moves JJ.......I think the reality is Schultz is going to be the next defenseman out the door. He's not a 3RD. But that's the only role for him here.

You could be correct although he would bring VERY high trade value right now because there are plenty of playoff teams that have lost a top D man and Schultz can play with anyone and anywhere. VERY good overall D man.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 3:51 a.m.
PIT wins every trade...pretty much every trade.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 4:03 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
PIT wins every trade...pretty much every trade.

Yes, PIT won the Kessel trade. They're a better team this season. Malkin is better, and happier. PIT is now a great defensive team.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

I'd presume this sort of thing happens more at the AHL level. The WB/S Penguins and the Texas Stars presumably have GMs that aren't Jim Rutherford and Jim Nill, respectively. They, too, obviously make trades. This probably explains NHL trades of "random guy for 'Future Considerations'"; the guy going the other way is likely on an AHL contract, so they obviously don't pop up in NHL player contract databases.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
I'd presume this sort of thing happens more at the AHL level. The WB/S Penguins and the Texas Stars presumably have GMs that aren't Jim Rutherford and Jim Nill, respectively. They, too, obviously make trades. This probably explains NHL trades of "random guy for 'Future Considerations'"; the guy going the other way is likely on an AHL contract, so they obviously don't pop up in NHL player contract databases.

Yeah, I believe that Bill Guerin was the GM of WBS while he was assistant GM for Pittsburgh, before moving to the Wild...

It's just the added depth of the trades with if the guy is good enough for another AHL team to want, how does the original parent NHL team "feel" about it? Is he a call up option being moved for someone that we will never call up? I just think that there might be more discussion put into a trade like this than many NHL-level player trades.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Yeah, I believe that Bill Guerin was the GM of WBS while he was assistant GM for Pittsburgh, before moving to the Wild...

It's just the added depth of the trades with if the guy is good enough for another AHL team to want, how does the original parent NHL team "feel" about it? Is he a call up option being moved for someone that we will never call up? I just think that there might be more discussion put into a trade like this than many NHL-level player trades.
it's probably the same amount of discussion, just aimed at a different section of the organization. With the level of the players we're talking about in this particular trade, I think the only reason the parent NHL club even got involved was because the players involved were signed to NHL contracts, and, even then, it was probably more of a bureaucratic "hey, sign off on this, pl0xkthxbye" type of conversation.

Mike Vellucci is HC and GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. He sees that Oula Palve isn't really panning out for his team the way he'd have hoped. At the same time, he's not too happy with his defensive depth. He's had injury issues on defense; Pierre-Olivier Joseph missed a good amount of this season with injuries, I think, so the defense is a bunch of vets (David Warsofsky, Zach Trotman, Kevin Czuczman) and a few other young guys (Niclas Almari, Matt Abt, and Jon Lizotte). The W-B/S Penguins and the Texas Stars were playing a series last week, and so Vellucci probably talked to Scott White, GM of the Texas Stars, and said, "hey, whaddya think about a trade?" like most GMs do. they talked it over, agreed to something, and then each GM contacted the GM of the NHL parent club and got the go-ahead.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
cautious optimism
Behold, the most inconsequential trade of all time...
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Bobcat205
Behold, the most inconsequential trade of all time...

I nominate Eddie Pasquale to Washington as even more inconsequential, but this one probably is up there.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit