Blackhawks 2020-21 v2

Created by: Petrock83
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 17, 2020
Published: Jan. 17, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Smith-Hickey Trade

NYI: Save 342,000 by replacing Hickey's buried contract with a Zack Smith buyout

CHI: Either makes the team as a reliable, veteran #6 defenseman, or costs negligibly more than a Smith buyout playing in Rockford.

And yes, I know a R. Strome might not be feasible and/or the best idea, but it's the only trade I've seen on here where we get rid of Nylander, and that's my primary goal.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,000,000
2$3,000,000
1$2,000,000
1$750,000
1$5,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,000,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Nick Holden
VGK
    Erik Gustafsson
    CHI
    1. Samuelsson, Mattias [Reserve List]
    Additional Details:
    Zach Bogosian
    BUF
    1. Krys, Chad
    Additional Details:
    Corey Crawford
    CHI
    1. Strome, Ryan [RFA Rights]
    NYR
    1. Nylander, Alexander
    2. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$73,784,306$1,090,244$3,350,000$9,715,694
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $880,833$880,833
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
    Isles could still use Hickey when he gets healthy. We already have 8 4th liners, don’t need another one.
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    I really don’t understand the obsession with getting rid of Nylander from all of the Hawks fans on here. The kid is 21(turning 22 in March) and is in the midst of his first NHL season, There are going to be learning curves. People are so obsessed with the trade that brought him here, and the hate the media cultivated around that trade and by proxy him, that they cannot handle that he is not a top 6 forward yet.

Nylander is a project, and we knew that when we were acquiring him. It makes no sense to trade him now, while his value is probably lower than its ever been.
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
    Roviet_Sussia
    Edited Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:17 p.m.
    Quoting: Stan_Bowman
    I really don’t understand the obsession with getting rid of Nylander from all of the Hawks fans on here. The kid is 21(turning 22 in March) and is in the midst of his first NHL season, There are going to be learning curves. People are so obsessed with the trade that brought him here, and the hate the media cultivated around that trade and by proxy him, that they cannot handle that he is not a top 6 forward yet.

Nylander is a project, and we knew that when we were acquiring him. It makes no sense to trade him now, while his value is probably lower than its ever been.

You've got to consider that Nylander was supposed to enter the team with an immediate impact (hence starting on the top line at the beginning of the season) and he hasn't really provided that. He's not going to get anything from going down to Rockford; that's part of the reason he wanted to get moved out of BUF and took a shot at their hockey club in the media.

If bailing on him now means acquiring someone like Ryan Strome, I'd do it. The only thing is that I can't imagine NYR are shopping him hard considering what he's done for them.
    Petrock83 liked this.
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:39 p.m.
    Quoting: Warrior24
    Isles could still use Hickey when he gets healthy. We already have 8 4th liners, don’t need another one.

I think the Isles would accept this only if they would buy Smith out immediately. He's blocked on the depth chart by Pelech, Toews, Leddy, and Aho, so unless two of them get moved, I think saving that cap space might be more useful. Just my thought.
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:41 p.m.

I'm not trading him because he isn't a top 6 forward right now, I'm trading him because, based on what I've seen, he never will be. I think we should sell on him ASAP before his value depreciates anymore. You can call him a project, but, despite his age, I don't think he has any more to show than he already has and I think he will remain in that ambiguous zone of being skilled, but not smart enough/not enough effort put in to become the speedy playmaker they want him to be.
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:52 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Edited Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:58 p.m.
    Quoting: Roviet_Sussia
    You've got to consider that Nylander was supposed to enter the team with an immediate impact (hence starting on the top line at the beginning of the season) and he hasn't really provided that. He's not going to get anything from going down to Rockford; that's part of the reason he wanted to get moved out of BUF and took a shot at their hockey club in the media.

If bailing on him now means acquiring someone like Ryan Strome, I'd do it. I'd argue that the Hawks might have to throw in another pick/prospect though; can't imagine NYR are shopping him hard considering what he's done for them.

It seemed, at the start of the season at least, everyone was okay with him going down to Rockford and working with Anders Sorensen to find his game. So I’m not exactly sure where you get the notion that he was expected to be an immediate producer coming out of training camp. In fact I recall nothing except negativity surrounding his chances of making then NHL with many people citing his point production in the AHL (He never had a chance to get going for long before getting hurt) Sure, many people, myself included hoped that he would be ready for a top 6 role in the NHL. However the fact of the matter is that he isn’t ready for that opportunity and in a rare display of mismanagement (more like desperation) the Blackhawks gave Nylander, who had a good camp but not top line forward like camp, a role he neither deserved or was ready for. The Blackhawks needed a LW spot on the top line, and tried to force Nylander a first year NHL player (people forget that) to be a top line guy.

I haven't heard anything about Nylander trashing Buffalo, but if he did that hardly matters anyways.

I don’t see why people think it’s a good idea to move on from Nylander either, even if you get. *checks notes* Ryan Strome you are hemorrhaging value from the Joki for Nylander trade.

There’s a saying that when you buy a new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot it loses half it’s value. Sometimes when you drive a new car there are some kinks in it, and things you have to get used to or adjust for your liking. Now let’s say that in this analogy you panic and think there is something wrong with the car you have two options, sell it to the dealer for half value, or ride it out and hope it works itself out.

Now for obvious reasons you wouldn’t want to sell the car you just bought, especially when you realize you are losing a hefty amount of money in your investment.

Instead of trading in your car for half value, and paying even more money to get a new car, it’s seems only logical to keep the car you just bought, even if it has a few minor issues. You can fix these issues, and get the car running like you want it too if you take the proper steps and precautions.

Obviously in this analogy Nylander is the Car, and yea we're still taking about hockey here.

It just makes no sense to move on from Nylander when he is so young and you don’t know what you are getting back in Ryan Strome, who is vastly benefiting from Panarin…

Plus having to add a significant piece like a 2nd round pick for someone who Is having a career year? Count me out.

For the record, I think it’s fine for Nylander to use this year to learn, it only seems natural considering his situation. Bailing on him does nothing for us this year, and I do believe he is one of the Blackhawks best 12 forwards this season.

@petrock83
    Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:55 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Quoting: Petrock83
    I'm not trading him because he isn't a top 6 forward right now, I'm trading him because, based on what I've seen, he never will be. I think we should sell on him ASAP before his value depreciates anymore. You can call him a project, but, despite his age, I don't think he has any more to show than he already has and I think he will remain in that ambiguous zone of being skilled, but not smart enough/not enough effort put in to become the speedy playmaker they want him to be.

I’ll direct you to my last post on here, but giving up on a 21 year old forward in a new league, city, situation because he has not produced is not a good choice. The NHL wasn’t always dominated by 18-19 year old rookies, and back then players needed to develop before becoming dominant.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 12:03 a.m.
    It seemed, at the start of the season at least, everyone was okay with him going down to Rockford and working with Anders Sorensen to find his game. So I’m not exactly sure where you get the notion that he was expected to be an immediate producer coming out of training camp. In fact I recall nothing except negativity surrounding his chances of making then NHL with many people citing his point production in the AHL (He never had a chance to get going for long before getting hurt) Sure, many people, myself included hoped that he would be ready for a top 6 role in the NHL. However the fact of the matter is that he isn’t ready for that opportunity and in a rare display of mismanagement (more like desperation) the Blackhawks gave Nylander, who had a good camp but not top line forward like camp, a role he neither deserved or was ready for. The Blackhawks needed a LW spot on the top line, and tried to force Nylander a first year NHL player (people forget that) to be a top line guy.

I haven't heard anything about Nylander trashing Buffalo, but if he did that hardly matters anyways.

I don’t see why people think it’s a good idea to move on from Nylander either, even if you get. *checks notes* Ryan Strome you are hemorrhaging value from the Joki for Nylander trade.

There’s a saying that when you buy a new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot it loses half it’s value. Sometimes when you drive a new car there are some kinks in it, and things you have to get used to or adjust for your liking. Now let’s say that in this analogy you panic and think there is something wrong with the car you have two options, sell it to the dealer for half value, or ride it out and hope it works itself out.

Now for obvious reasons you wouldn’t want to sell the car you just bought, especially when you realize you are losing a hefty amount of money in your investment.

Instead of trading in your car for half value, and paying even more money to get a new car, it’s seems only logical to keep the car you just bought, even if it has a few minor issues. You can fix these issues, and get the car running like you want it too if you take the proper steps and precautions.

Obviously in this analogy Nylander is the Car, and yea we're still taking about hockey here.

It just makes no sense to move on from Nylander when he is so young and you don’t know what you are getting back in Ryan Strome, who is vastly benefiting from Panarin…

Plus having to add a significant piece like a 2nd round pick for someone who Is having a career year? Count me out.

For the record, I think it’s fine for Nylander to use this year to learn, it only seems natural considering his situation. Bailing on him does nothing for us this year, and I do believe he is one of the Blackhawks best 12 forwards this season.

Sorry, but I don't think that analogy is fully applicable. Nylander isn't some 'new car' we just drafted, he's a slightly used car we just drove off the CarMax lot thinking we can fix the problem with the engine, and then realized that it's missing a part that isn't made anymore. The analogy is getting more ridiculous, but what I'm trying to say is that we knew what Nylander's shortcomings were coming into this year, we thought we could fix whatever wasn't working for him, and clearly things just haven't worked out. Maybe we need to give it another year, sure, but I just do not believe that he will improve. He may be only 21, but this is his 4th season playing at least 1 game in the NHL. We would lose value from the Jokiharju trade by trading him now, yes, but, based on my belief about his skill and his future in the league, we will lose even more value the longer we wait to trade him.
    Roviet_Sussia liked this.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 12:14 a.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Edited Jan. 18, 2020 at 12:23 a.m.
    Sorry, but I don't think that analogy is fully applicable. Nylander isn't some 'new car' we just drafted, he's a slightly used car we just drove off the CarMax lot thinking we can fix the problem with the engine, and then realized that it's missing a part that isn't made anymore. The analogy is getting more ridiculous, but what I'm trying to say is that we knew what Nylander's shortcomings were coming into this year, we thought we could fix whatever wasn't working for him, and clearly things just haven't worked out. Maybe we need to give it another year, sure, but I just do not believe that he will improve. He may be only 21, but this is his 4th season playing at least 1 game in the NHL. We would lose value from the Jokiharju trade by trading him now, yes, but, based on my belief about his skill and his future in the league, we will lose even more value the longer we wait to trade him.

I disagree with your assessment of Nylander not being fixable, and I think he’s worked out well enough for us. Sure, he hasn’t been the offensive juggernaut that some people unfairly expected him to be... but it’s not like he’s been irredeemable on the ice. He has some defensive upside that he’s shown this season, and while I’m sure you would point to the two or three times he iced the puck by clearing before center he has been serviceable in the bottom six. The kid can play, and I think there is a lot left to be found out about his offense, when he is going, and he has been going the last couple games, he has been very good.

No one wants to even conceive of this thought, but would it be so bad if he was just a top nine, two way forward with scoring upside? I don’t think so, even if he doesn’t reach his ceiling he can still be a decent forward in the NHL.

Quick Edit, you saying he’s had 4 seasons of at least 1 NHL game doesn’t really do much for me. He hasn’t even has one full NHL season 82 GP in his career.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 1:38 a.m.
    I disagree with your assessment of Nylander not being fixable, and I think he’s worked out well enough for us. Sure, he hasn’t been the offensive juggernaut that some people unfairly expected him to be... but it’s not like he’s been irredeemable on the ice. He has some defensive upside that he’s shown this season, and while I’m sure you would point to the two or three times he iced the puck by clearing before center he has been serviceable in the bottom six. The kid can play, and I think there is a lot left to be found out about his offense, when he is going, and he has been going the last couple games, he has been very good.

No one wants to even conceive of this thought, but would it be so bad if he was just a top nine, two way forward with scoring upside? I don’t think so, even if he doesn’t reach his ceiling he can still be a decent forward in the NHL.

Quick Edit, you saying he’s had 4 seasons of at least 1 NHL game doesn’t really do much for me. He hasn’t even has one full NHL season 82 GP in his career.

In terms of the four seasons thing, I was just trying to point out that, despite how young he is, he has been around long enough (whether that be in the NHL or AHL) to demonstrate his skills/weaknesses.

I don't Nylander has shown anything that proves he can be a two-way forward in the future. His possession stats are mediocre at best, and just based on the eye test, he seems lazy and ineffective away from the puck. He clearly has some skill, as he showed in the SHL before being drafted and has shown at times, but he hasn't been able to consistently translate it to the NHL. It seems like we're going to have to agree to disagree, but I think keeping him on the team will only further diminish his trade value and waste a roster spot that can be used to improve the top 9 now and for the future.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 1:49 a.m.
    I like the BUF trade, not sure if values are there but I would take that. VGK trade looks good.

Sorry, I actually feel Nylander can benefit with more time and feel the 2nd in this years draft can be helpful. Also I don't think Strome fits in with our cap situation.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 1:59 a.m.
    Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
    I like the BUF trade, not sure if values are there but I would take that. VGK trade looks good.

Sorry, I actually feel Nylander can benefit with more time and feel the 2nd in this years draft can be helpful. Also I don't think Strome fits in with our cap situation.

I disagree about Nylander, but I see where you and others are coming from. I like Strome and I think he would fit well as a center for Kane. I'm not sure what you mean about the cap situation given that it's a one year deal though.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 2:58 a.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    In terms of the four seasons thing, I was just trying to point out that, despite how young he is, he has been around long enough (whether that be in the NHL or AHL) to demonstrate his skills/weaknesses.

I don't Nylander has shown anything that proves he can be a two-way forward in the future. His possession stats are mediocre at best, and just based on the eye test, he seems lazy and ineffective away from the puck. He clearly has some skill, as he showed in the SHL before being drafted and has shown at times, but he hasn't been able to consistently translate it to the NHL. It seems like we're going to have to agree to disagree, but I think keeping him on the team will only further diminish his trade value and waste a roster spot that can be used to improve the top 9 now and for the future.

He often plays as the high forward, but when he back checks he has had some good moments. I don’t believe he’s had a long enough look in the NHL (60 games across 4 seasons) agree to disagree I guess, but I don’t think he’s going anywhere!
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 5:26 a.m.
    I disagree about Nylander, but I see where you and others are coming from. I like Strome and I think he would fit well as a center for Kane. I'm not sure what you mean about the cap situation given that it's a one year deal though.

I don't think he would take a 1 year deal, would at least have to be bridging but I doubt he is looking at a bridging deal at this point in his career.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 12:33 p.m.
    Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
    I don't think he would take a 1 year deal, would at least have to be bridging but I doubt he is looking at a bridging deal at this point in his career.

Given that he’s having a career year, I wouldn’t be shocked if he signs a prove-it deal. Might not be what he wants but teams won’t want to give him term in case it was a fluke.
    Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
    Jan. 18, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
    Given that he’s having a career year, I wouldn’t be shocked if he signs a prove-it deal. Might not be what he wants but teams won’t want to give him term in case it was a fluke.

Very valid point there.
    Jan. 20, 2020 at 10:38 a.m.

I don’t either. I like Nylander’s speed. He is defensively responsible. He can make plays. He need to be more consistent. (scoring ... maybe he will never get there) Nylander needs to sharpen his mental game.

There will be people here that hate that trade and consequently amplify Nylander’s mistakes, and overlook his 21. Too soon to throw in the towel.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll