SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Thoughts On Mitch Marner

Jan. 19, 2020 at 7:10 p.m.
Banned
Honestly I’ve seen a lot of negative feedback from Leaf fans towards Mitch Marner pretty much the entire season. I see it everywhere on the various social media platforms. As someone who really admires Mitch Marner as a player, this is hard to see. While it’s understandable given the Leafs’ struggle to find consistency in their game, I am still curious to know whether or not Mitch Marner deserves to be made the number 1 scapegoat of this team. I think it’s true that he got grossly overpaid in the off-season and probably made a few million too much plus there have been times where he really hasn’t made good decisions on the ice. However, it’s not like he hasn’t been contributing to this team. He still leads the team in points per game and would be on pace for 101 through a full season. That’s not bad at all. I get it’s been a tough season for Leaf fans but I really don’t think that Marner deserves all the blame and hateful treatment for everything he does.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 7:13 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MikeyThePensFan
Honestly I’ve seen a lot of negative feedback from Leaf fans towards Mitch Marner pretty much the entire season. I see it everywhere on the various social media platforms. As someone who really admires Mitch Marner as a player, this is hard to see. While it’s understandable given the Leafs’ struggle to find consistency in their game, I am still curious to know whether or not Mitch Marner deserves to be made the number 1 scapegoat of this team. I think it’s true that he got grossly overpaid in the off-season and probably made a few million too much plus there have been times where he really hasn’t made good decisions on the ice. However, it’s not like he hasn’t been contributing to this team. He still leads the team in points per game and would be on pace for 101 through a full season. That’s not bad at all. I get it’s been a tough season for Leaf fans but I really don’t think that Marner deserves all the blame and hateful treatment for everything he does.

@palhal @PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood @Jamiepo @SammyT_51 @Nohate @Laudan

What’d you guys think?
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 7:21 p.m.
I hate this team

I think it’s because of the contract that’s it. He’s still a great player, bit over payed, but that’s it. He’s point per game to right? Idk why leafs fans complain about him so much.

Edit: he’s like the Nylander of last season
Jan. 19, 2020 at 7:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Nohate
I think it’s because of the contract that’s it. He’s still a great player, bit over payed, but that’s it. He’s point per game to right? Idk why leafs fans complain about him so much.

Edit: he’s like the Nylander of last season

Yep I agree. Leaf fans are hard on their player, but which fan base isn't? Mitch will be a great player for years to come.
Marincin_memes liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

IMO Marner is one of the top wingers in the league. Maybe Matthews is a among the top centres. And Nylander is playing to his contract this year. But I still say the Leafs overpaid for those three players at that time of the signing for a first year RFA. Sure could you cap money to upgrade the team, especially on defence.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I haven’t had anything negative to say about him. He has been great for us ever since he first dawned the blue and white. I don’t know what you could say negative about him. The contract has little to do with the player. They are supposed to get whatever they can.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 9:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
IMO Marner is one of the top wingers in the league. Maybe Matthews is a among the top centres. And Nylander is playing to his contract this year. But I still say the Leafs overpaid for those three players at that time of the signing for a first year RFA. Sure could you cap money to upgrade the team, especially on defence.

Yeah I think that’s fair, they definitely overpaid for them at the time of signing by a little bit. If they got what they were fully worth, they could’ve saved about maybe 3-4 million to get a good defenseman, but they will work it out especially with Sandin, Liljegren and Dermott developing.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
I haven’t had anything negative to say about him. He has been great for us ever since he first dawned the blue and white. I don’t know what you could say negative about him. The contract has little to do with the player. They are supposed to get whatever they can.

Yeah I agree. Even though he got overpaid a little theres still a lot to like about his game and he’s a very effective contributor on most nights.
palhal liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah I think that’s fair, they definitely overpaid for them at the time of signing by a little bit. If they got what they were fully worth, they could’ve saved about maybe 3-4 million to get a good defenseman, but they will work it out especially with Sandin, Liljegren and Dermott developing.

Actually I wasn't that optimistic for the Leafs this season mostly due to their cap and defence. IMO they will better next year with Sandin and hopefully Liljegren plus having some cap for another Dman. Even Keefe who might replaced the worse NHL coach, will have an off season to prepare for the NHL.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
Banned

Stop it, seriously
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 19, 2020 at 10:41 p.m.
Banned

Then we would have been stuck with those short term insane bridge deals. Meier signed for 4 years and his QO is 10 million, what if this is what he's always going to be? A 30+ goal 60 point player? Or worse? He gets his qo and walks to fA, Matthews would have been in the same boat but for 2 years and his QO would have been nuts and his next deal even more nuts. These contracts aren't problems.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Banned
Actually I wasn't that optimistic for the Leafs this season mostly due to their cap and defence. IMO they will better next year with Sandin and hopefully Liljegren plus having some cap for another Dman. Even Keefe who might replaced the worse NHL coach, will have an off season to prepare for the NHL.

Yeah the Leafs will definitely be in a better spot next season with the cap space to sign a defenseman. Do you think they bring Muzzin back? I thought the Leafs would have a chance this season but didn’t expect Barrie to be this bad.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 10:01 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Then we would have been stuck with those short term insane bridge deals. Meier signed for 4 years and his QO is 10 million, what if this is what he's always going to be? A 30+ goal 60 point player? Or worse? He gets his qo and walks to fA, Matthews would have been in the same boat but for 2 years and his QO would have been nuts and his next deal even more nuts. These contracts aren't problems.

I think the contracts are fine because they are signed for 5+ seasons which is relatively long term. In 2 years, Tkachuk and Point will be screaming for 14 million dollar AAV.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 10:07 a.m.
Banned
I think the contracts are fine because they are signed for 5+ seasons which is relatively long term. In 2 years, Tkachuk and Point will be screaming for 14 million dollar AAV.

Exactly!
Jan. 20, 2020 at 2:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah the Leafs will definitely be in a better spot next season with the cap space to sign a defenseman. Do you think they bring Muzzin back? I thought the Leafs would have a chance this season but didn’t expect Barrie to be this bad.

No, I don't Muzzin will be back. Leafs will go with Reilly, Dermot, Sandin and Marincin at LHD. RHD Holl and Liljegren (again hoping he is up to NHL readiness). Barrie has been bad, IMO the worse Dman regular this season. Still think Kapanen or Johnsson has to be traded to create cap space for a competent RHD next season.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 2:54 p.m.
torontos finest
No, I don't Muzzin will be back. Leafs will go with Reilly, Dermot, Sandin and Marincin at LHD. RHD Holl and Liljegren (again hoping he is up to NHL readiness). Barrie has been bad, IMO the worse Dman regular this season. Still think Kapanen or Johnsson has to be traded to create cap space for a competent RHD next season.

Toronto might bring back Muzzin. They could format the defense like this:

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Lijegren
Sandin - Dermott
Jan. 20, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
Banned

Well if the Leafs let go of Ceci, Muzzin & Barrie, that’s approximately 11 million in cap relief. Assuming they bring back Dermott, Mikheyev and Engvall on cheap deals, they should have enough cap to sign a defenseman like Tanev who’s played with Rielly before.
palhal liked this.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
Toronto might bring back Muzzin. They could format the defense like this:

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Lijegren
Sandin - Dermott

I think they would have keep Muzzin-Holl together, Rielly-Dermott & Sandin-Liljegren.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well if the Leafs let go of Ceci, Muzzin & Barrie, that’s approximately 11 million in cap relief. Assuming they bring back Dermott, Mikheyev and Engvall on cheap deals, they should have enough cap to sign a defenseman like Tanev who’s played with Rielly before.

By my figuring, the Leafs will have 6m to spend Dermot and another Dman. I would like a known competent Dman, and if they means a player like Johnsson is "given away" cheaply for futures, that might be the best alternative for the Leafs. Reilly, Dermot, Sandin, Marincin at LHD. Holl, Liljegren, Competent NHLer, and really I would like one more competent NHLer replacing Marincin or Liljegren...if he isn't ready.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Banned
By my figuring, the Leafs will have 6m to spend Dermot and another Dman. I would like a known competent Dman, and if they means a player like Johnsson is "given away" cheaply for futures, that might be the best alternative for the Leafs. Reilly, Dermot, Sandin, Marincin at LHD. Holl, Liljegren, Competent NHLer, and really I would like one more competent NHLer replacing Marincin or Liljegren...if he isn't ready.

Yeah I think Johnsson is a good player but he could become expendable especially with the emergence of Mikheyev who looks really good. What is your opinion on Andersen? It seems he’s been doing worse than ever since he got pulled vs the Oilers.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah I think Johnsson is a good player but he could become expendable especially with the emergence of Mikheyev who looks really good. What is your opinion on Andersen? It seems he’s been doing worse than ever since he got pulled vs the Oilers.

Anderson for whatever reason hasn't been his usual good lately. But you can say the same about many of the Leafs. Leafs like most teams are going to live/die with their # 1. IMO the Leafs are going to have to find a replacement for Anderson for the summer of 2021. Either Anderson is so good the Leafs can't afford him or he has peaked and the Leaf need a replacement.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 9:45 a.m.
Banned
Anderson for whatever reason hasn't been his usual good lately. But you can say the same about many of the Leafs. Leafs like most teams are going to live/die with their # 1. IMO the Leafs are going to have to find a replacement for Anderson for the summer of 2021. Either Anderson is so good the Leafs can't afford him or he has peaked and the Leaf need a replacement.

Well the Leafs can look at signing Timur Bilyalov in the off-season. Let him start off as a backup and he can eventually move into being Andersen’s successor.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 9:51 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well the Leafs can look at signing Timur Bilyalov in the off-season. Let him start off as a backup and he can eventually move into being Andersen’s successor.

Sure the Leafs can look at all these non NHL goalies, but no proof they are going to NHL good. Too bad pro rookie Ian Scott hurt his groin and wasted his first pro season. IMO He had a shot of being a back up next season. For Scott's sake, hoping his injury is career ending.
Gotta think the Leafs will go with proven backup next year and praying the guy excels enough to be deemed a starter in 2021/22
Jan. 21, 2020 at 10:05 a.m.
Banned
Sure the Leafs can look at all these non NHL goalies, but no proof they are going to NHL good. Too bad pro rookie Ian Scott hurt his groin and wasted his first pro season. IMO He had a shot of being a back up next season. For Scott's sake, hoping his injury is career ending.
Gotta think the Leafs will go with proven backup next year and praying the guy excels enough to be deemed a starter in 2021/22

Well it wouldn’t cost a lot to sign Bilyalov on an entry level deal so it’s a low risk high reward situation. Scott was looking good but he may not be the same player when he comes back. The Leafs are in the mess that they are because Dubas decided to keep Sparks over McElhinney.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well it wouldn’t cost a lot to sign Bilyalov on an entry level deal so it’s a low risk high reward situation. Scott was looking good but he may not be the same player when he comes back. The Leafs are in the mess that they are because Dubas decided to keep Sparks over McElhinney.

I don't think the really in a mess by keeping not keeping McElhinney although I wished the Leafs had kept him. The summer of 2021 would still be coming up. And for all the criticism that Sparks got last year, in those games he played, the Leaf were lousy, don't know if any goalie could have got more points. Somewhat the same for Hutch this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll