Forums/Armchair-GM

Move Coming

Created by: bigbrit93
Team: 2019-20 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 20, 2020
Published: Jan. 20, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With injuries continuing to hit the backend, could the Bs go for both a RW and a defensemen from the Kings? I like Martinez' game and think Toffoli is a good fit on either Krecji's right or Coyle's right if you want to keep Bjork in top 6 since he's looked good.

With Ritchie and Backes being sent down you have to think that some move is close to fruition for the Bs, and I think this is a move that helps them push for the cup this year.

The going rate for each of these players that I've seen is a prospect and a 2nd. So I think Heinen, Lauzon (can crack the Kings defensive depth chart now) and a mid-tier prospect plus this year's 2nd should cover that.

Obviously the longer the Bs wait to strike a deal, the higher the price is most likely going to be, so I'd love to see them make a deal before the ASG.
Trades
BOS
  1. Martinez, Alec
  2. Toffoli, Tyler ($2,000,000 retained)
LAK
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,746,667$0$2,432,500$1,753,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 20, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
I don't know enough about the value of a couple of those players. A quick look shows Heinen doesn't fit the rebuild the Kings want in terms of age (on top of it being a cap dump for Boston), Shen MIGHT intersted them but they're more interested in wingers, and Lauzon wouldn't come close to cracking their defensive roster unless it's as a 2nd/3rd pair AHL'r.

That being said, the Kings say no to this simply because they aren't going to trade their two best assets (including retention on Toffoli) at the deadline for a single pick that will end up somewhere in the mid-late 50's and -maybe- 1 player who fits what the Kings desire. Quantity =/= Quality. And the quality just isn't there in this trade.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
I don't know enough about the value of a couple of those players. A quick look shows Heinen doesn't fit the rebuild the Kings want in terms of age (on top of it being a cap dump for Boston), Shen MIGHT intersted them but they're more interested in wingers, and Lauzon wouldn't come close to cracking their defensive roster unless it's as a 2nd/3rd pair AHL'r.

That being said, the Kings say no to this simply because they aren't going to trade their two best assets (including retention on Toffoli) at the deadline for a single pick that will end up somewhere in the mid-late 50's and -maybe- 1 player who fits what the Kings desire. Quantity =/= Quality. And the quality just isn't there in this trade.

If you break down the trade:

Heinen for Toffoli

Lauzon + Shen + 2nd for Martinez

Toffoli is gone after this year and Heinen is a cost controlled good NHL player (Kings would accept)

Lauzon is an NHL dman and could be playing right now if not for the log jam at LD in Boston. Shen is a decent prospect + 2nd round pick for a 32 year old dman who I like btw. (Kings accept)

I like the thought process here but I still rather go big game hunting although this deal makes the Bruins very good.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: kscoop

Heinen for Toffoli

Toffoli is gone after this year and Heinen is a cost controlled good NHL player (Kings would accept)

Lauzon is an NHL dman and could be playing right now if not for the log jam at LD in Boston. Shen is a decent prospect + 2nd round pick for a 32 year old dman who I like btw. (Kings accept)

I like the thought process here but I still rather go big game hunting although this deal makes the Bruins very good.

The issue is that the Kings would not accept Toffoli for Heinen, unless they're just hoping to flip him. Cost-control doesn't necessarily matter to the Kings. They're not in any sort of cap crunch. But the biggest issue is that Heinen would take up a spot at the expansion draft. What the Kings are looking for in return for Toffoli is some combination of expansion draft-exempt prospects or picks in the upcoming draft. Heinen is not either of those.

Lauzon+Shen+2nd for Martinez isn't bad on it's own. I'm still not a fan of the quality of players coming back, but it's closer than Heinen for Toffoli. Lauzon would be available for Seattle to pick, Shen wouldn't which is good. But Shen has 8 points in 30 games. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

I still think the Kings say no. Just doesn't fit what they want, and they should be able to get more from selling the two separately to other teams.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: kscoop

Heinen for Toffoli

I don't think the Kings would go for this.

Toffoli is most certainly not gone at the end of the season. He's having a resurgent year and I think the Kings might look to re-sign him. However, it would be hard to pass on getting a trade haul for him, so I think they might target a team that's looking to take on a rental, then bring him back to LA in the summer.

The Kings very much want Seattle to take a goaltender in the expansion draft next summer. Petersen is going to be protected, leaving Quick and Campbell in the pipeline for the taking. Obviously the Kings would prefer that Seattle take Quick (he would be the face of the franchise, much like Fleury was in Vegas), but it's much more likely that they would take Campbell. Adding another player to the mix that would require protection would jam up those plans.

The Kings target in a trade would be Lauko, IMO. Boston could throw in Heinen if they needed a cap dump, but he wouldn't add significant value to the trade. Boston would be better off trading him elsewhere for an asset.

Make it a 2020 + 2021 2nd, Lauko, and Shen and the Kings would probably go for it. They'd even retain 50% on both players to help make the cap work.
Jan. 20, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
Why are we giving up assets for a dman we dont need?
Jan. 20, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.
bigbrit93
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
The issue is that the Kings would not accept Toffoli for Heinen, unless they're just hoping to flip him. Cost-control doesn't necessarily matter to the Kings. They're not in any sort of cap crunch. But the biggest issue is that Heinen would take up a spot at the expansion draft. What the Kings are looking for in return for Toffoli is some combination of expansion draft-exempt prospects or picks in the upcoming draft. Heinen is not either of those.

Lauzon+Shen+2nd for Martinez isn't bad on it's own. I'm still not a fan of the quality of players coming back, but it's closer than Heinen for Toffoli. Lauzon would be available for Seattle to pick, Shen wouldn't which is good. But Shen has 8 points in 30 games. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

I still think the Kings say no. Just doesn't fit what they want, and they should be able to get more from selling the two separately to other teams.

I think Heinen better fits the Kings than people think. He's a solid two-way middle six forward who is starting to regain his confidence in shooting.

Quoting: shmoeman
Why are we giving up assets for a dman we dont need?

Martinez would be a good add for the Bs. Do we "need" him? No, but he solidifies that third pair and is a considerable upgrade from John Moore or Kevin Miller. And he's controlled through next season as well so you're not as vulnerable if Chara decides to retire.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll