SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Now real mock draft using the previous rankings - top 31

Now real mock draft using the previous rankings - top 31

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: SammyT_51
Published: Jan. 21, 2020 at 6:54 a.m.
Description
Zion Nybeck would fall to 2nd round just because he is 5ft8. I dont trust NHL GMs enough to pick player that small that talented in first round. Stupid but I wanted to be as close to reality as possible. I have a vision of what might happen in 2nd round but from 40s to 80s its a crapshoot and whoever can go whenever.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings
  2. Logo of the Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres
  3. Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Obvious pick for LAK. Lottery done on 20th january. My rankings: https://www.capfriendly.com/mock-draft/106266
2Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo gets their top-6 center. He is a complete package offensively. Can do it all and is fast with big body. Uses it phenomenaly. Automatic 2C for Sabres.
3Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit would go with Lundell. You cannot have enough centermen in organization. I would say perfect 2C for team like that. Would open spot for quicker development of Veleno on 3C position. Can have Zadina on his wing.
4Logo of the New Jersey Devils-NJ would go with Lucas Raymond. They have enough centermen imo, but would need RW behind Palmieri and eventually 1RW and that is Raymond. Plus the possible chemistry with Hughes/Hischier would be high due to his high intelligence and offensive awareness.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Ottawa would select German two-way supertalent. Ottawa needs as much centermen as possible now and to have one that good would be great deal for them. Likely their no1 center in future. They would love him in Ottawa.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-We are still perfectly in allignment with my rankings here with Ducks pick. Automatic top-4 right shot defenseman for Ducks in Drysdale. Would fit greatly with young group of players Anaheim has.
7Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks
Yaroslav Askarov
Now.. I know I have him 14th in my rankings but Ottawa would go rogue with this selection and it would be G Yaroslav Askarov. They need that future superstar starter and he is that.
8Logo of the Minnesota Wild-IMO perfect fit for Wild in this one is highly skilled centerman who can do it all on offense - Marco Rossi. Wild would have C core of Khovanov, Rossi and JEE for future, which would have everything you look for.
9Logo of the New York Rangers-Scoring winger with one of the best shots Ive ever seen who can play both wings and can contribute in top-6 almost right away. Probably would need one more year. Holtz is everything Rangers would want in top-6 sniper imo.
10Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal should go with another centerman in this draft. Best option available is Cole Perfetti who I project more as a winger in pros, but thats perfect for Montreal because they already have deep center core. definitely a top-6 contributor who is highly skilled and would fit nicely into Montreals plans.
11Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville picks Noel Gunler. They need a future top-6 sniper and he is that. He has some questionmarks to his name but his skillset is undeniable. Tolvanen is more of a 3rd line scorer imo but Gunler would be that guy behind Arvidsson or even above him later in his career. It would be either Gunler or Holloway, but they have Tomasino, so I figured a sniper would be better.
12Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Dawson Mercer
Chicago is interesting one.. they can either go with centerman (Holloway/Zary) or trust their C core (Strome, Dach, Kurashev, Barratt, Toews) and go with great all around winger. I think they do the second thing and go with Dawson Mercer which would be a logical choice for Chicago.
13Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Jets need centermen. They could either pick Jan Myšák, Dylan Holloway or Connor Zary and imo they would go with Zary. Holloway and Myšák have question marks on whether or not they can be full time centerman and Zary can. Talent level of those three is on same level tho, making it decision just based on preference.
14Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesDevils imo would pick Jan Myšák. They need quality forward depth and Myšák provides that. He can either be top-6 winger of 3C for NJ and he would be able to do it both. Very intelligent and relentless player with or without the puck. Has amazing transition game. Perfect fit.
15Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Vegas picks Dylan Holloway. Their choices would be one of Holloway, Myšák or Zary and Holloway is the one available. And he would be a great addition. Strong C/W who can do it all in every situation.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Calgary needs RHD badly and they would make their need filled with Justin Barron. Defensively reliable two-way defenseman who can do it all in every situation but I think we would see him more as a defensive defenseman than two-way Dman in pros. Had unlucky injury but regardless of that he is a very good player and prospect. Calgary has of course other options such as Jacob Perreault or Hendrix Lapierre up front, but they would imo go with Dman.
17Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Jacob Perreault
Carolina picks Jacob Perreault. He is Jamieson Rees' linemate in Sarnia. And he is right shot centerman who is one of the best hidden gems of this years draft. Can do it all offensively and his compete level is high. Great choice for Carolina.
18Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
Hendrix Lapierre
Oilers need talented centerman who would become their 3C in near future. RNH would likely be traded, at least I would think he would be traded. Would be best choice. Hendrix Lapierre has offensive tools to be effective mid-6 center. He is not perfect player and has some flaws in his game, but his offensive potential is excellent.
19Logo of the Florida Panthers-Florida would get a left shot top-4 offensive Dman. Yandle would not be there forever and another guy like that would be perfect. Has excellent offensive tools and is fast as hell, but has some flaws in his defensive game which isnt good, but he will learn with time.
20Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Flyers pick Braden Schneider - right shot two-way defenseman. They dont have much depth on right side of defense with only Phillippe Myers being legit top-4 talent and Schneider would provide similar player but a bit smaller than Myers (which means he is still huge player). Flyers would need to decide between right shot Dman or forward prospect with their pick and I think they would go with Dman.
21Logo of the Tampa Bay LightningLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
Rodion Amirov
Tampa picks Rodion Amirov. He has excellent offensive tools and can be a great two-way speedy option for Bolts on left side of the ice. I have seen him play many times and he has been excellent every single time. His style would fit perfectly with Tampas style.
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-
Lukas Cormier
Dallas would pick best player available and that would be left shot Dman Lukas Cormier. He is two-way left shot Dman who can do it all despite his smaller stature. Dallas would find a gem with this player. He would need a longer development tho.
23Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina picks best forward available at 23rd overall - Kasper Simontaival. Smallish finnish forward who can play both center and wing is great player and has tools to be middle-6 two-way contributor for Carolina. He is also finnish and we know Carolina has its history with Finnish players. They would have to choose between Dman (Wallinder, Andrae) and forward (Simontaival, Nybeck, Hirvonen).
24Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
William Wallinder
Columbus picks two-way left shot Dman in William Wallinder. He is big and also strong in every single thing when it comes to defense and offense from defense. Can do it all. Strong skater and smooth player that finds its way to top-4 of Columbus defense in 2-3 years after the draft. I think Wallinder should go higher but probably wont.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Mavrik Bourque
Colorado goes with Mavrik Bourque. They would prefer NA player despite availability of Roni Hirvonen. But they would go with centerman because you cant have enough of those. It would be a close decision between Hirvonen and Bourque.
26Logo of the New York Islanders-Islanders would go with swedish offensive defenseman who is highly talented but lacks some things. Andrae would be a great pick up for Isles and would battle for spot in their lineup in min. 3 years. Would take him longer to be ready but when he would be ready, he is gonna be amazing!
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-Tampa picks best player available and that is Roni Hirvonen. Smallish but extremely effective and well-rounded centerman would be a wise option for Tampa. He would need 2-3 years of development but he is that good to be in their top-9 right after. Great two-way center who can play every situation.
28Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Pens would go with another big strong forward this year too. And they need centermen who can contribute in mid-6 role. Perfect player for that is Jaromir Pytlik who is 6'3 but highly skilled and highly dangerous in every situation. They would have other options for this pick in wingers who are smaller and those names would be Jack Quinn, Seth Jarvis or Jean-Luc Foudy (Foudy is a winger, folks). Would go with centerman
29Logo of the Boston Bruins-Boston picks Jack Quinn. They would have two options for this pick and that is either Quinn or Seth Jarvis. They pick Quinn because of his well-roundedness. Similar players with similar styles and both would benefit Bruins. It would be a close decision. And yes I have Quinn in 30s but rankings and mock draft are two amazingly different things.
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Ryan ORourke
I have feeling that Blues have enough forward prospect depth that they would go with LHD. Two best options available are Eemil Viro and Ryan O'Rourke. Both are in 30s in my draft rankings but IMO it would be between them for Blues. I would prefer Viro for them but Blues would likely want more well-rounded guy and that is Ryan O'Rourke. Another ROR for Blues.
31Logo of the Washington Capitals-Washington would go with best player available and since I dont trust NHL GMs to draft 5ft8 or below players in first round, that position goes to Seth Jarvis. He is great winger who has offensive tools to attack top-6 forward position at some point in his career.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:33 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Emil Andrae for the isles is an interesting pick, but the more I think about it, the more I like it
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:38 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Emil Andrae for the isles is an interesting pick, but the more I think about it, the more I like it

He is Krug like offensive defenseman. He would be hell of a pick up for Isles.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:39 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: SammyT_51
He is Krug like offensive defenseman. He would be hell of a pick up for Isles.

Isles could definitely use that, if Perrault isn’t there when the isles pick IRL, I’d love Andrae.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.
Detroit would take Stutzle or Drysdale if picking 3rd. Stutzle has more offensive upside than Lundell. Detroits Defense is also atrocious so I would never argue with them drafting another highly talented Defenseman
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Old_Snowman
Detroit would take Stutzle or Drysdale if picking 3rd. Stutzle has more offensive upside than Lundell. Detroits Defense is also atrocious so I would never argue with them drafting another highly talented Defenseman

Lundell is the third best player in the draft tbh. He has similar offensive tools to Stutzle but much better defensive and two-way game. Drysdale is interesting one, but at 3rd overall it would be quite very high. I wouldnt be surprised tho.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
Lundell is the third best player in the draft tbh. He has similar offensive tools to Stutzle but much better defensive and two-way game. Drysdale is interesting one, but at 3rd overall it would be quite very high. I wouldnt be surprised tho.

ISS Hockey. Stutzle 3rd. Lundell 8th
Hockey Prospect. Stutzle 3rd. Lundell 13th
Future Considerations. Stutzle 3rd. Lundell 8th
EliteProspects. Stutzle 7th. Lundell 5th
McKeens Hockey. Stutzle 3rd . Lundell 11th.
NHL.com Euro Rankings. Stutzle 1st. Lundell 4th.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
ISS Hockey. Stutzle 3rd. Lundell 8th
Hockey Prospect. Stutzle 3rd. Lundell 13th
Future Considerations. Stutzle 3rd. Lundell 8th
EliteProspects. Stutzle 7th. Lundell 5th
McKeens Hockey. Stutzle 3rd . Lundell 11th.
NHL.com Euro Rankings. Stutzle 1st. Lundell 4th.

EliteProspects is the closest one to reality. I am scout myself.
ColonelX liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
I'd certainly take Perfetti as a habs fan! Two hockey mind like him and Zuke would be amazing for us
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
EliteProspects is the closest one to reality. I am scout myself.

You're a scout...and you're on Armchair GM.... tears of joy
PrisonBull liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
You're a scout...and you're on Armchair GM.... tears of joy

Oh yeah! Im here having fun while not doing scouting. Working for dobberprospects actually. So yeah.. Im just having fun out here.
ColonelX liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
Oh yeah! Im here having fun while not doing scouting. Working for dobberprospects actually. So yeah.. Im just having fun out here.

Do you have a scouting zone. Europe, USA, CAN?
Jan. 21, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: math731
Do you have a scouting zone. Europe, USA, CAN?

Central europe. Germany, Czech, Slovakia etc.
ColonelX liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
Zuke is the goat
Central europe. Germany, Czech, Slovakia etc.

So you must love Stutzle! Looking at highlights, he seems even more dominant than Laffy on some shifts. He's crazy good
Jan. 21, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: math731
So you must love Stutzle! Looking at highlights, he seems even more dominant than Laffy on some shifts. He's crazy good

I absolutely love him. He is amazing player and would be able to be 1C/2C on NHL level. He is dominant player. What impresses me is his understanding of offensive zone forechecking. Its on Nylander level (he is amazing in breaking up things in offensive zone and neutral zone). Great player and definitely a top-5 prospect in this draft.
math731 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 9:26 p.m.
Godfried
I absolutely love him. He is amazing player and would be able to be 1C/2C on NHL level. He is dominant player. What impresses me is his understanding of offensive zone forechecking. Its on Nylander level (he is amazing in breaking up things in offensive zone and neutral zone). Great player and definitely a top-5 prospect in this draft.

You say nylander level like it's something to aspire to. He is overrated and overpaid. Any "scout" would see that. I have a feeling this "scouting" is little league German baseball (lowest form of sporting ever) and is a hobby not a paid job. Please stop with julander, this site, and calling yourself a scout. Scout dont say dumb things because they are fan boys of a certain player. Realize what he is, and relax about nylander. He isnt that good. If stuzel is as good as nylander turnabout he will be an overplayed disappointment
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:48 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Godfried
You say nylander level like it's something to aspire to. He is overrated and overpaid. Any "scout" would see that. I have a feeling this "scouting" is little league German baseball (lowest form of sporting ever) and is a hobby not a paid job. Please stop with julander, this site, and calling yourself a scout. Scout dont say dumb things because they are fan boys of a certain player. Realize what he is, and relax about nylander. He isnt that good. If stuzel is as good as nylander turnabout he will be an overplayed disappointment

I'm not just calling myself a scout, I'm legit scout and I wouldnt call myself that if I wasn't one. But I didn't compare Stutzle to Nylander. Just one part of his game which is similar and when you watch Nylander for years even before NHL, you can see it. And as a scout I can see those little things in their game and compare them and evaluate them. Also I don't love Nylander, I just know he is great player. How is great young top line forward who is developing into two way monster a disappointment is something I cant wrap my head around. 6.9 mil for 25-30 goal/70-80 pt player is a steal.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 7:36 a.m.
Godfried
I'm not just calling myself a scout, I'm legit scout and I wouldnt call myself that if I wasn't one. But I didn't compare Stutzle to Nylander. Just one part of his game which is similar and when you watch Nylander for years even before NHL, you can see it. And as a scout I can see those little things in their game and compare them and evaluate them. Also I don't love Nylander, I just know he is great player. How is great young top line forward who is developing into two way monster a disappointment is something I cant wrap my head around. 6.9 mil for 25-30 goal/70-80 pt player is a steal.

Let's see it he can actually get the 70-80 pts. If he does it will be because he rides matthews coat tails. Also you have proven you know nothing about hockey when calling him a 2 way monster. You ever watch him. He is no good defensively. Also if you were a scout why would you be on some site arguing with fans. You obviously are not a real, professional scout
Jan. 22, 2020 at 10:04 p.m.
Evans truther
Edited Jan. 22, 2020 at 10:14 p.m.

Let's see it he can actually get the 70-80 pts. If he does it will be because he rides matthews coat tails. Also you have proven you know nothing about hockey when calling him a 2 way monster. You ever watch him. He is no good defensively. Also if you were a scout why would you be on some site arguing with fans. You obviously are not a real, professional scout

Damn you're really acting like a dick on this one. For once someone brings knowledge (Or at least descriptions to back his picks) and you're just throwing him in the mud because you don't have the same analysis of one player?!
No wonder we mostly get ****posts around here if that's what happens when someone brings something at the very least interesting.

PS: Nice little write up Sammy! (Scout or not I've enjoyed my read) I'm personally very high on Zary, I see him coming into the league as a bigger and improved version of a rookie called Gallagher. He seems to always bring energy (And a little bit of positive attitude) to the table and like Gallagher his skating's an issue but with good training it could easily be solved (Gally had a small stature that's mostly why his draft stocks went so low). If I go off the board I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa taking him with their second 1st rounder, hoping he develops well and play with Tkachuk down the line.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:44 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex

Professional scouts are only in clubs. Real scouts are pro scouts and scouts for scouting agencies. I work for one of them - dobberprospects. And we dont have mandated which sites to be on or not to be on, I enjoy arguing and commenting on here tho, I love it and I love this community despite arguments and such, so thats why Im here. I just love talking hockey, thats it LOL. I would love to talk hockey 24/7 if I could. As for Nylander, he doesnt even play with Matthews. He plays with JT and the progress has been unreal. His forechecking abilities are very good in every zone, but he is not consistent in that department yet. As for 2-way monster comment. Its meant when he is fully developed and let me tell you, 23yo top line winger/2C is not fully developed (two-way game, defense and such) until 25/26yo, thats just a fact. He is good defensively. He wasnt before tho.

Quoting: ColonelX
Damn you're really acting like a dick on this one. For once someone brings knowledge (Or at least descriptions to back his picks) and you're just throwing him in the mud because you don't have the same analysis of one player?!
No wonder we mostly get ****posts around here if that's what happens when someone brings something at the very least interesting.

PS: Nice little write up Sammy! (Scout or not I've enjoyed my read) I'm personally very high on Zary, I see him coming into the league as a bigger and improved version of a rookie called Gallagher. He seems to always bring energy (And a little bit of positive attitude) to the table and like Gallagher his skating's an issue but with good training it could easily be solved (Gally had a small stature that's mostly why his draft stocks went so low). If I go off the board I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa taking him with their second 1st rounder, hoping he develops well and play with Tkachuk down the line.

Thank you, Colonel! And that Zary comment is quite truthful. He is that good. But it would take couple of years to get into the big league. The pick would depend a lot on where it is and if Askarov is taken before. Ottawa needs young future starter and star badly because Anderson is old, Gustavsson is not on that level, Nilsson is not gonna be there forever etc. But Zary would be a great pickup for Ottawa if one of the picks is in 10-15 range.
ColonelX and ColonelX liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
Evans truther
Thank you, Colonel! And that Zary comment is quite truthful. He is that good. But it would take couple of years to get into the big league. The pick would depend a lot on where it is and if Askarov is taken before. Ottawa needs young future starter and star badly because Anderson is old, Gustavsson is not on that level, Nilsson is not gonna be there forever etc. But Zary would be a great pickup for Ottawa if one of the picks is in 10-15 range.

What would be your NHL comparison for Perfetti? I've seen Cole Caufield and Jake Debrusk being cited out there.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
Not so Fasth
What would be your NHL comparison for Perfetti? I've seen Cole Caufield and Jake Debrusk being cited out there.
I don't see those as comparisons. Perfetti is someone who doesn't have the best skating, but great passing and vision. Think someone like Monahan without the size
Jan. 24, 2020 at 6:52 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex

Nobody specifically. He is pretty interesting player overall tho. My comparison would be Danny Briere. I dont see DeBrusk in him tbh.
Jan. 24, 2020 at 7:49 a.m.
Godfried
Professional scouts are only in clubs. Real scouts are pro scouts and scouts for scouting agencies. I work for one of them - dobberprospects. And we dont have mandated which sites to be on or not to be on, I enjoy arguing and commenting on here tho, I love it and I love this community despite arguments and such, so thats why Im here. I just love talking hockey, thats it LOL. I would love to talk hockey 24/7 if I could. As for Nylander, he doesnt even play with Matthews. He plays with JT and the progress has been unreal. His forechecking abilities are very good in every zone, but he is not consistent in that department yet. As for 2-way monster comment. Its meant when he is fully developed and let me tell you, 23yo top line winger/2C is not fully developed (two-way game, defense and such) until 25/26yo, thats just a fact. He is good defensively. He wasnt before tho.

You are lost if you think nylander is developing into a 2 way player. I've watched the leafs a ton this season and he is horrible. And ya if he doesnt play with mtthews its JT. He is a piggy ballplayer who in every single thread you somehow bring up cause you love him. News flash. Hes overrated. Sure a "scout" could see that. Now go watch some little league german baseball and stop commenting on every single thread
Jan. 24, 2020 at 8:40 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
You are lost if you think nylander is developing into a 2 way player. I've watched the leafs a ton this season and he is horrible. And ya if he doesnt play with mtthews its JT. He is a piggy ballplayer who in every single thread you somehow bring up cause you love him. News flash. Hes overrated. Sure a "scout" could see that. Now go watch some little league german baseball and stop commenting on every single thread

Why are you such a dick just because you dont like a player I do like? Im commenting on like few threads. What the **** are you talking about? He is not overrated. Worth well his contract and has developing into two-way player. Watch the games properly. Thats all Im gonna say.
ColonelX liked this.
Jan. 24, 2020 at 8:53 a.m.
Godfried
Why are you such a dick just because you dont like a player I do like? Im commenting on like few threads. What the **** are you talking about? He is not overrated. Worth well his contract and has developing into two-way player. Watch the games properly. Thats all Im gonna say.

Think you need to watch the games properly. He is horrible 2 way. You are the only person in the world who thinks he is good 2 way. Amazing "scout" who just sees more than the rest of the hockey community? I think not

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll