Forums/Armchair-GM

What do we do

Created by: itsgilli98
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 21, 2020
Published: Jan. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I would love to see Poehling in the NHL for the rest of the season but the fact is that as long as we don't trade a forward or have another injury he's going to Laval soon.
90-24-17 is doing a very good job as of now and I like the line.
13-14-11 I feel like we might need someone who plays a more simple game with Domi who is always trying to do too much.
92- 15 -40 was a solid line at he start of the season.
41-44-62 That line is kind of a mess because I can't see Byron getting traded or being sent down and Lehkonen and THompson have been playing very good IMO.
That leaves poehling, cousins and weal out. I don't want to see Poehling being a healthy scratch so just make him play in Laval and they could use him to secure a playoff spot.

For defense I like the pairings. I would love to see Romanov next year taking Scandella's spot and playing with Weber or Chiarot. Next year could be:
53- 6
Romanov - 8
26- 20
I see lots of people saying we should trade Tatar, Kovalchuk, Petry, Domi, etc. Yes we have Caufield that's good but you can't expect him to come in next year play top line and score 50 goals. I am not saying he won't. I am saying it's unlikely. I do think he could make the jump next year.
I'd rather trade Domi than Tatar but that depends on what Domi is asking for.
If we think for next year the forwards could be:
90-24-11
13-14-92
Caufield-15-40
41-25-62
That is if we don't resign Kovalchuk and Thompson. I like Thompson a lot and as a 4th liner he is amazing for this team so I'd sign him again but Poehling should'nt play in the AHL next year. So that would leave Byron being the odd man out if we don't trade Tatar or Domi. Also, we have Evans and Vejdemo who are coming in the future so what do we do?

For Goalies I think that MB might be looking for a decent backup. LIndgren and Kinkaid have proven that they can't win even in the AHL. The duo in Laval should be McNiven and Primeau and we should get a decent backup for Price.

Tell me in the comments who would you trade, why? and what your lineup would be this year when everyone is healthy and our starting lineup next year.

PS: If we get a top 10 pick this draft it is amazing. Top 5 even better. Don't be disappointed if we don't get Lafrenière. Yes he is awesome, yes he is from here, yes the draft is in MTL. That does not mean that if we don't get Lafrenière the guy we draft isn't good.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,115,475$0$3,057,500$9,384,525
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$350,000$350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$771,666$771,666 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RW, LW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 21, 2020 at 9:59 a.m.
Edited Jan. 21, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
1 Tatar Danault Kovalchuk
2 ??? Suzuki Gallagher
3 drouin kotkaniemi Armia
4 byron Poehling Lehkonen
5 ??? ???
6 Chiarot - Weber
7 ??? - ???
8 Mete - Fleury
9 Kulak
10 Price-???
Thats meen:i would let go: - Cousin -Weal -Thompson, (Scandella Depend on the money he want next year), Lindgren

Trade Petry For at least a first pick

Trade Domi For a winger top 6 exemple: Mantha det , Nylander Tor

Lindgren return to Laval,Bring back Primeau or sign this summer Halak ,Lehner,Greiss

Defense -Vatanan -pietrangelo this summer available for Rd spot...Maybe juulsen will be able to play again one days...i hope,Harris and brook arnt rdy

And for the first pick this year we dont know where we choose but stutzle and maybe for later Askarov
itsgilli98 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 11:43 a.m.
Well for starters, Kovy, Thompson and Scandella should all be gone by the TDL so that's 3 open spots right there. I'd also really try to move Cousins as well. The it comes down to how much MB wants to sell. The two prime targets are Petry and Tatar with two secondary targets being Byron and Kulak.

Automatically have to trade: Kovalchuk, Thompson, Scandella.
Light retool then also trade: Byron, Kulak, Cousins, Weal.
Hard retool then also trade: Petry, Tatar.
Rebuild well then its literally everyone over the age of 28.
itsgilli98 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:07 p.m.
Make it Work
Quoting: F50marco
Well for starters, Kovy, Thompson and Scandella should all be gone by the TDL so that's 3 open spots right there. I'd also really try to move Cousins as well. The it comes down to how much MB wants to sell. The two prime targets are Petry and Tatar with two secondary targets being Byron and Kulak.

Automatically have to trade: Kovalchuk, Thompson, Scandella.
Light retool then also trade: Byron, Kulak, Cousins, Weal.
Hard retool then also trade: Petry, Tatar.
Rebuild well then its literally everyone over the age of 28.

Thomson doesn't HAVE to go; Byron even though well liked does, Kovy will be and Scandella could opt for hometown discount, maybe.
Tatar and Petry will be gone if not by TDL, then in the offseason. Kulak, Weal and Lindgren if you can get late picks do it.
Cousins is cheap and you need guys like that! Open to see what Domi would fetch but not tradng with T.O. or anyone else in division. IMO
itsgilli98 liked this.
Jan. 21, 2020 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: SCGLisme2
Thomson doesn't HAVE to go; Byron even though well liked does, Kovy will be and Scandella could opt for hometown discount, maybe.
Tatar and Petry will be gone if not by TDL, then in the offseason. Kulak, Weal and Lindgren if you can get late picks do it.
Cousins is cheap and you need guys like that! Open to see what Domi would fetch but not tradng with T.O. or anyone else in division. IMO

If you get a pick for Thompson, he has to go, yes. If you want to resign him in the offseason that's fine but there is literally no reason to keep him this year based on where we are in the standings. Same goes for Scandella but the thing is Habs are starting to be log jammed at LHD. Chiarot, Mete, Romanov, Kulak if he isn't traded. There are only so many spots available so someone has to go. Scandella can stay as a 7th dman but i doubt he wants that so you got to trade him and recuperate those assets spent on him.

Cousins is absolutely worth trading if you can get something for him. He was a free pickup just like Kovy. Habs don't need cap space and Cousins playing 15 mins game is precisely why I think he should be traded. This team isn't good enough if Cousins plays too many minutes and if that's the case, you need to build through the draft and develop youngsters. So instead of Cousins getting 15 mins, Poehling, Caulfield, Kotkaniemi, etc etc get those minutes instead. Plenty of Cousins type players available in free agency if need be this offseason. Smart GMs turn free pickups into long term assets and don't get attached to those free pickups.
itsgilli98 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.
Make it Work
Quoting: F50marco
If you get a pick for Thompson, he has to go, yes. If you want to resign him in the offseason that's fine but there is literally no reason to keep him this year based on where we are in the standings. Same goes for Scandella but the thing is Habs are starting to be log jammed at LHD. Chiarot, Mete, Romanov, Kulak if he isn't traded. There are only so many spots available so someone has to go. Scandella can stay as a 7th dman but i doubt he wants that so you got to trade him and recuperate those assets spent on him.

Cousins is absolutely worth trading if you can get something for him. He was a free pickup just like Kovy. Habs don't need cap space and Cousins playing 15 mins game is precisely why I think he should be traded. This team isn't good enough if Cousins plays too many minutes and if that's the case, you need to build through the draft and develop youngsters. So instead of Cousins getting 15 mins, Poehling, Caulfield, Kotkaniemi, etc etc get those minutes instead. Plenty of Cousins type players available in free agency if need be this offseason. Smart GMs turn free pickups into long term assets and don't get attached to those free pickups.

It all depends on the pick you get for Thompson, MTL gave up a 4th in 2019 for Thompson and a 5th in 2019, so a 4th or 5th would be as low as I would go. He can still help the younger guys and teach them about faceoffs at the very least.
Scandella for a hometown discount is better that Kulak who can be traded was my point, they will need experience at LD and if Kulak is gone then they have Chiarot, Mete and Romanov.
If you get back your 4th you spent then so be it.
Cousin only played on the top 2 lines due to the injuries the Habs had and he was fine, not great but fine. He should be a 4th liner at best and again his only trade was including an AHL'er and a 5th going back. If you can get a 5th then do it. Play Poehling for sure but more than 7 min and don't rush Caulfield.
At least Cousins knows the system and can keep up, who knows what you get in the offseason.
Every player has a price but these guys are not 6th or 7th round picks, MB must do better or keep them.
itsgilli98 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: SCGLisme2
It all depends on the pick you get for Thompson, MTL gave up a 4th in 2019 for Thompson and a 5th in 2019, so a 4th or 5th would be as low as I would go. He can still help the younger guys and teach them about faceoffs at the very least.
Scandella for a hometown discount is better that Kulak who can be traded was my point, they will need experience at LD and if Kulak is gone then they have Chiarot, Mete and Romanov.
If you get back your 4th you spent then so be it.
Cousin only played on the top 2 lines due to the injuries the Habs had and he was fine, not great but fine. He should be a 4th liner at best and again his only trade was including an AHL'er and a 5th going back. If you can get a 5th then do it. Play Poehling for sure but more than 7 min and don't rush Caulfield.
At least Cousins knows the system and can keep up, who knows what you get in the offseason.
Every player has a price but these guys are not 6th or 7th round picks, MB must do better or keep them.

I disagree with the bulk of this.

The Habs are not a contending team, in fact they are probably not making the playoffs at all so keeping pending UFA's makes no sense if there is an asset to be gained from trading them. Remember, players can be resigned in the offseason. Thompson isn't a July 1st UFA type of player anyway...... If Habs really want him they could easily let him know they plan on resigning him in the offseason. Gaining more picks in this draft is just business and Thompson would be fully aware of that. As for the pick itself, who cares what pick it is? Its a pick and that is all that matters. Habs paid the equivalent of a 6th for him. They moved down in the draft from 119th to 138th essentially so we're not talking about a huge cost here. Even if the pick is a 7th, its one more chance to land a Fredrick Andersen or a Ondrej Palat. All for what? Not trading a 4th line type player that are very available in free agency if ever we need one? That is not how asset management works...... Once again, only if you get something of value for him. If you don't, then I agree just keep him....

As for Scandella, i know he is better than Kulak but that doesn't help the fact that you are paying X dollars on a guy you are actively going to play as a 7th dman. Chiarot is going to play. Romanov isn't coming to NA to be a 7th dman. Mete is the future of the team, can't play him 7th dman. So knowing that, why are you even resigning Scandella? But heck even if you wanted to sign him, would Scandella want to? He is taking a hometown discount to be a 7th dman?? There is no space for him next year and if you wanted him as depth and he was willing to sign to be depth, than not trading him would still be asinine. If you can get an asset for the player now and he is willing to come back next year, at a hometown discount to boot what is the problem?

Cousins doesn't need to be traded because he is an RFA but based on where this team is going, if he can return an asset at the TDL, go for it. Habs paid nothing to get this guy. They turned a player whose very replaceable into an asset for literally just playing him on their team. Once again, this is how teams get good. Through the draft and turning free commodities into assets. You get more picks in the draft, you increase your odds of getting good players for free and cheap contracts. Cousins is a fine cheap bottom line player but he is small piece of the puzzle only and in the grand scheme of things, very replaceable. If you can get something for him, its found money as they say.

Agree 100% on Caulfield but you must keep the option open if he shows he's NHL ready right away. Like many college players, they tend to only want to sign if they know they'll play with the big club and judging by his production as a freshman, he looks very close to being ready anyway.
itsgilli98 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll