SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Garbage AGMs

Jan. 21, 2020 at 11:52 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
What is going on with the absolute horrible agm’s coming from leafs fans? It use to be a 50/50 mix of fair and us ripping other teams off. Now it is literally 100% trades that are brutal for the leafs. Is this just trolls actually getting to people? Or has every leafs fan lost their mind?
TMLSage, Random2152, PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 12:46 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: Jamiepo
What is going on with the absolute horrible agm’s coming from leafs fans? It use to be a 50/50 mix of fair and us ripping other teams off. Now it is literally 100% trades that are brutal for the leafs. Is this just trolls actually getting to people? Or has every leafs fan lost their mind?

I think you are making some really good and accurate observations in your comments. To my mind, I have noticed that there seems to be alot of Leafs AGM posts being made by individuals whose 2 favourite teams are not even the Leafs. As a result, the AGM making the post about the Leafs may not really follow the Leafs that closely or in fact may be very jealous of the Leafs which may explain some of your observations.
GenXHockey and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:30 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: TMLSage
I think you are making some really good and accurate observations in your comments. To my mind, I have noticed that there seems to be alot of Leafs AGM posts being made by individuals whose 2 favourite teams are not even the Leafs. As a result, the AGM making the post about the Leafs may not really follow the Leafs that closely or in fact may be very jealous of the Leafs which may explain some of your observations.

A lot of them have been by leafs fans. They are bad, and I mean real bad.
TMLSage, Random2152, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 9:05 a.m.
torontos finest
who cares

ignore them
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: mondo
who cares

ignore them

If I’m going to ignore every leafs agm at this site things will get dull quickly.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
Banned

Panic constantly.

Its like everyone has become manic in Leafs nation. They'll win 5 in a row sometime soon and they'll be planning the parade again. And then they'll lose 2 of 3 and be tied for a wildcard spot and they'll want to trade Matthews for a compliment.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 3:49 p.m.
They've fallen for the Darren Dreger propaganda of Georgiev's value. Now anytime the Leafs want a half decent player it's going to cost Kapanen+
GenXHockey, Leaf_fan_74, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 10:16 p.m.
Campbe11
Hey, I am very new to this AGM thing, and I am genuinely a Blue Bleeder. Most importantly, I enjoy discussing the Leafs, even the unpopular stuff not propagated by mainstream media. Like the fact, we are going to have to face the fact that we seriously need to trade one of our big four, unless the Salary cap goes up 10 million next season. Since the second option is highly unlikely (even over 3-years), that is why I bring up the Matthews trade. I am 45-years old, and I have lived through many unfulfilling Leaf's teams, some were loaded with great players. So if by chance you are referring to my AGM as horrible, sorry I'm just trying to be real here and add to the conversation!

Whether you like it or not, one of them has to be traded. How would you decide which?
1 Marner is this teams lifeblood
2 Tavares came home... how would Toronto look if they traded him after that public showcase, NO FREE AGENT WILL EVER COME AFTER THAT!
3 Nylander's contract is a great value
4 Matthews if he keeps playing at this rate, is entirely worth his contract; however, his term is extremely concerning!

Hey, I'm not Dubis and this is just for fun, so let's talk some Leafs and stop criticizing the differing viewpoints. Its just a discussion right!
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 1:43 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Jan. 23, 2020 at 3:21 a.m.
Quoting: Leaf_fan_74
Hey, I am very new to this AGM thing, and I am genuinely a Blue Bleeder. Most importantly, I enjoy discussing the Leafs, even the unpopular stuff not propagated by mainstream media. Like the fact, we are going to have to face the fact that we seriously need to trade one of our big four, unless the Salary cap goes up 10 million next season. Since the second option is highly unlikely (even over 3-years), that is why I bring up the Matthews trade. I am 45-years old, and I have lived through many unfulfilling Leaf's teams, some were loaded with great players. So if by chance you are referring to my AGM as horrible, sorry I'm just trying to be real here and add to the conversation!

Whether you like it or not, one of them has to be traded. How would you decide which?
2 Tavares came home... how would Toronto look if they traded him after that public showcase, NO FREE AGENT WILL EVER COME AFTER THAT!
4 Matthews if he keeps playing at this rate, is entirely worth his contract; however, his term is extremely concerning!

Hey, I'm not Dubis and this is just for fun, so let's talk some Leafs and stop criticizing the differing viewpoints. Its just a discussion right!

Leaf_fan_74

Welcome to the Leafs AGM club. I feel like I am in the presence of greatness after I read your comments.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 1:47 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Please explain why the leafs will fall 10m short next season unless they trade a core player.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.
Campbe11
Edited Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:56 a.m.
Please explain why the leafs will fall 10m short next season unless they trade a core player.

Isn't it odd that we are having the same issues under Keefe? Albeit, we have new ones too, like injuries, which are directly related to increased ice time. Coaching isn't going to fix our team's defense nor goalie issues. Face it the kids (Sandin and Liligren) that the media are raving about are 2-3 years from being impactful, or they could end up like Schenn. The fact is, when Horton and Clarkson's contracts are gone, it won't translate into useable space. No matter how you slice it, if we don't rebalance the cap-dollars appropriately between the Forward-Defense-Goalies, we will continue to watch greatness (forwards) taxed by lack of defense and overworked goalies. Don't believe the hype, that is not a recipe for success ladies and gents.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:51 a.m.
Campbe11
Quoting: TMLSage
Leaf_fan_74

Welcome to the Leafs AGM club. I feel like I am in the presence of greatness after I read your comments.

Greatness, lol! Maybe in my ability to withstand the pain and heartbreak of "Next Year" so many times and still believe in my team, perhaps you relate. However, I'm just an ordinary blue-bleeding joe otherwise.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Isn't it odd that we are having the same issues under Keefe? Albeit, we have new ones too, like injuries, which are directly related to increased ice time. Coaching isn't going to fix our team's defense nor goalie issues. Face it the kids (Sandin and Liligren) that the media are raving about are 2-3 years from being impactful, or they could end up like Schenn. The fact is, when Horton and Clarkson's contracts are gone, it won't translate into useable space. No matter how you slice it, if we don't rebalance the cap-dollars appropriately between the Forward-Defense-Goalies, we will continue to watch greatness (forwards) taxed by lack of defense and overworked goalies. Don't believe the hype, that is not a recipe for success ladies and gents.

So completely avoiding my question? You’re new to the site so I’m not going to take offence to you trying to point out how ltir works to me. I don’t believe my question had anything to do with using magical recovered ltir money. Leafs roll into next season with all top 9 forwards under contract 5 Dmen under contract and our starter. And over 14m+ in cap space. Engvall, mikheyev and Dermott need new contracts. So you can move 2 out of the top 9 (I choose Johnsson and move Moore to the 4th line for now) leaving 18m to get those three on new deals and sign/trade for an rhd and fill the remaining few spots. Chances are the roster could change dramatically but don’t expect any of the big 4 to be moved.

I’ve been a leaf fan long enough to see a lot of ****ty teams. This one has it’s issues but things could be much worse. Just because you have the best team it still doesn’t guarantee a cup.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:01 p.m.
Campbe11
Edited Jan. 23, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
So completely avoiding my question?

I’ve been a leaf fan long enough to see a lot of ****ty teams. This one has it’s issues but things could be much worse. Just because you have the best team it still doesn’t guarantee a cup.

I hear you, in that a team full of great players doesn't make a great team. Sorry, I wasn't attempting to say you did understand LTIR, but others may not. Look here is how I see it so you can understand my thinking on this. Great players make average players better; in other words, they drive their lines. Tavares drives his line with a good player (Nylander) on his wing, now all of a sudden, Nylander looks great! Therefore, Marner and Matthews together are overkill; in economics, it could be presented and argued as evidence of diminishing returns, successfully! On the other hand, Marner could take an average centerman and make him a good (even great), which is all you need for a second-line center.

Now you can treat the third line as a tryout line (energy) to fill the remaining spots on the 1st and 2nd line wing each season. In essence, both places become rotating spots. This will provide a cap-control mechanism in that when the wingers' contract becomes a cap-problem, you trade it out for futures and transition a new winger from the 3rd line into the voided spots.

The best part is now you would have 11 million to spend to fix defense and goaltending. This is the foundation of my approach.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 5:55 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I hear you, in that a team full of great players doesn't make a great team. Sorry, I wasn't attempting to say you did understand LTIR, but others may not. Look here is how I see it so you can understand my thinking on this. Great players make average players better; in other words, they drive their lines. Tavares drives his line with a good player (Nylander) on his wing, now all of a sudden, Nylander looks great! Therefore, Marner and Matthews together are overkill; in economics, it could be presented and argued as evidence of diminishing returns, successfully! On the other hand, Marner could take an average centerman and make him a good (even great), which is all you need for a second-line center.

Now you can treat the third line as a tryout line (energy) to fill the remaining spots on the 1st and 2nd line wing each season. In essence, both places become rotating spots. This will provide a cap-control mechanism in that when the wingers' contract becomes a cap-problem, you trade it out for futures and transition a new winger from the 3rd line into the voided spots.

The best part is now you would have 11 million to spend to fix defense and goaltending. This is the foundation of my approach.

Your first post said trade one of the big 4. Didn’t see that in this post. Leafs have plants of stocked up filler.

My perfect ideal lineup next season would involve both Johnsson and kerfoot moved for futures to put towards or directly traded for an rhd.

Hyman-Matthews-marner
Moore-Tavares-nylander
Mikheyev-engvall-Kapanen
Timashov-gauthier-Korshkov

Rielly-magical rhd
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

Obviously pieces are interchangeable. Nylander is excellent on the left too. Hyman can play the right obviously. I also think mikheyev and Moore would be interchangeable. I just like the idea of a puck fetcher on each line. And soup would make the third line deadly.

On defence you still have the option to re sign muzzin and possibly still upgrade on rhd. I think that would certainly mean moving Dermott though if we upgraded.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
Campbe11
Your first post said trade one of the big 4. Didn’t see that in this post. Leafs have plants of stocked up filler.

My perfect ideal lineup next season would involve both Johnsson and kerfoot moved for futures to put towards or directly traded for an rhd.

Hyman-Matthews-marner
Moore-Tavares-nylander
Mikheyev-engvall-Kapanen
Timashov-gauthier-Korshkov

Rielly-magical rhd
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

Obviously pieces are interchangeable. Nylander is excellent on the left too. Hyman can play the right obviously. I also think mikheyev and Moore would be interchangeable. I just like the idea of a puck fetcher on each line. And soup would make the third line deadly.

On defence you still have the option to re sign muzzin and possibly still upgrade on rhd. I think that would certainly mean moving Dermott though if we upgraded.

Would you keep Barrie and Muzzin past this years deadline? The market suggests we could clean up by selling them into a depleted rental market. Both are 1st returns in value in a market void of quality defenders; however, it would mean you are not planning to make the playoffs. Might be the best thing when you consider Reilly is going to need time to recover. Hey, if we drop below the 10th from the bottom, we keep our first this year! Big decision time!
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:43 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Would you keep Barrie and Muzzin past this years deadline? The market suggests we could clean up by selling them into a depleted rental market. Both are 1st returns in value in a market void of quality defenders; however, it would mean you are not planning to make the playoffs. Might be the best thing when you consider Reilly is going to need time to recover. Hey, if we drop below the 10th from the bottom, we keep our first this year! Big decision time!

If we are out of the race and not re signing you move any ufa. I would also consider selling any other assets at that time that you plan to move in the offseason. Then see what you can negotiate at the draft for trades.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Jan. 25, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
The constant overpayment Georgiev trades are starting to make me gag.

A backup goalie worth a top6 FW, just disgusting.

I dont think some of Leaf ACGMs are being made by Leaf fans, to me it seems like people with dual logins.

They language and context used is the same used vomit over and over.

I could be wrong but it if quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, its probably a duck.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 25, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
Leafs and other ACGMs involving the Leafs have been horrible. I mean...I get homerism...but then to pass it off as unbiased, yeesh...really?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll