SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

Who won the Marleau to CAR deal TOR

Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:40 a.m.
Banned
Leafs trade Marleau and a 1st round pick to relive 1 season of cap space. Marleau playing decent in SJ and that first looking near top 15. Leafs used that cap space to fill in Cody Ceci at only around $1.25M less haha. **** should get fired.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:41 a.m.
That was a brutal trade for the Leafs
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:44 a.m.
Yea but it also got us. 3-4 years of Kapanen and johnsson. Lou made the mistake of signing him a extra year. Dubas had to move it. I love how everyone is saying the leafs are done but there’s still 35-40 games to play.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:46 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk

Leafs had no leverage and no cap space, hence why getting rid of Marleau's 6M+ contract was so expensive even though it only had 1 year left.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:49 a.m.
Magic
still don't understand why the leafs had to give up so much to make this happen.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:49 a.m.
It wont be a #15 OA pick, if leafs miss the playoffs the pick is switched to 2021 which is very relevant
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:52 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Jan. 22, 2020 at 2:07 a.m.
"Leafs used that cap space to fill in Cody Ceci at only around $1.25M less haha. **** should get fired. " You have to know that just isn't true
Leafs had a trade in place for Zaitsev for Ceci. Leafs made that trade to get long term cap relief. Sens had already agreed verbally with Ceci to give him a qualifying offer, so the Leafs were obligated to honour the Ceci's one year deal. The fact that contract wasn't signed till later doesn't mean that the Ceci deal wasn't in place.
Who won the Marleau deal? The Leafs would have been force to maybe trade Nylander if Marleau's 6.25m wasn't traded. But it might not be a good deal for Carolina either. Carolina could use that dead cap space to upgrade their team for a playoff run. If they miss the playoffs, maybe the Canes wish they hadn't made the trade. We'll have to see if the pick helps the Canes. Might take four years to know if the Canes will be getting any long term benefit.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 1:54 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: jamgon33
still don't understand why the leafs had to give up so much to make this happen.

No other team stepped up to take the 6,25m cap hit and about 3m in actual dollars payout.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
... Sens had already agreed verbally with Ceci to give him a qualifying offer, so the Leafs were obligated to honour the Ceci's one year deal. The fact that contract wasn't signed till later doesn't mean that the Ceci deal wasn't in place...

That's new to me? I never knew a verbal agreement had to be held by another team if they were dealt?
Is taking back Ceci the only way Zaitsev could have been moved?
Jan. 22, 2020 at 2:11 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: ChiHawk

Not sure I would call it a brutal trade for the Leafs but more fitting a necessary trade for the Leafs.

The Leafs and Dubas were backed agaist the wall in terms of capspace and needed to free up the Marleau capspace to resign Kapanen, Johnsson and Marner and more importantly to scare off any other NHL team from trying to offersheet Marner which was a real possibity prior to the Marleau trade happening. I know it is hard for alot of fans to realize but Marner is actually a franchise player for the Leafs which the Leafs could not afford to lose in an offersheet.

It is not wise business to trade a first round pick: however you have to realize that the Leafs would probably be picking in late twenties of 1rst round if held pick and have shown to be able to hit on players in later rounds of the draft anyways. This trade was actually a brilliant trade by Dubas and the Maple Leafs if you actually look at the big picture.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 2:17 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Wqrrior
That's new to me? I never knew a verbal agreement had to be held by another team if they were dealt?
Is taking back Ceci the only way Zaitsev could have been moved?

Thanks right. The trade happened I believe just before the draft and days the one week "talking to UFA" happens and then free agency. So the two parties just didn't rush the formalities of the signing.
Certainly the Leafs had to honour the contract. It would be like a team agreeing to with a player to sign him to UFA contract. So now the agent isn't negotiating with any other teams. The team then can't say the next day...the deal is off. I'm sure Ceci and the Sens had sent paperwork in the league office when the deal between those two parties were agreed too.
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 3:23 a.m.
Jah1722
When you try to troll but can’t even understand the basic cap implications each move had. They used a 1st to save 6.25M. They used Brown to save years of cap not actual space this season. They used Kadri to fill a positional need while getting a younger replacement. The returns on the Kadri trade haven’t been perfect but it won’t end up as one sided as you’re making it out to be.

I hope the leafs miss the playoffs but if you’re going tor troll them at least try not to look like an idiot.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 6:18 a.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
It wont be a #15 OA pick, if leafs miss the playoffs the pick is switched to 2021 which is very relevant

Important note: its top 10 protected not 'if they miss the playoffs' so the Leafs would have to move up a fair bit in a lucky draft draw to keep the pick.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 6:26 a.m.
Quoting: Byrr
Important note: its top 10 protected not 'if they miss the playoffs' so the Leafs would have to move up a fair bit in a lucky draft draw to keep the pick.

ah mb havent looked at the specifics in a while
Jan. 22, 2020 at 9:09 a.m.
Quoting: jamgon33

because marner, kk, mango, were all unsigned. you still had to get a rd or resign jake gardiner. and you had not much cap room to do so. every team in the league knew the leafs had to move cap in order to get everyone in under the cap. marleau was the cap that had to go. Its no coincidence that kadris cap was also moved for cheaper options.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll