SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Winnipeg Jets

Goodbye Paul Maurice

Jan. 22, 2020 at 10:53 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Gallant is 50x better get him before he is gone. Tired of Paul’s excuses
Jan. 22, 2020 at 10:58 p.m.
I think they give him the next 3 games. (They probably shouldn’t but they will)

The BOS and STL back to back is almost a 100% double loss guaranteed. Maurice can’t coach the team good enough to make a difference between elite teams like BOS and STL.

But if we can’t rebound and win the NSH game I think he’s gone.

But then again we’re already on a 4 game losing streak so firing him now and giving Gallant the break to get into the swing of things with our team might be the right move. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 10:59 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: tsyls
I think they give him the next 3 games.

The BOS and STL back to back is almost a 100% double loss guaranteed.

But if we can’t rebound and win the NSH game I think he’s gone.

But then again we’re already on a 4 game losing streak so firing him now and giving Gallant the break to get into the swing of things with our team might be the right move. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone.

I hope so. I mean he couldnt get it done with arguably our most talented squad last season. Since January 1st of 2019 we have got to be at least a bottom 10 team in terms of overall record
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:01 p.m.
Quoting: bunzy1034
I hope so. I mean he couldnt get it done with arguably our most talented squad last season. Since January 1st of 2019 we have got to be at least a bottom 10 team in terms of overall record

It’s honestly upsetting. Maurice is a great guy, but he’s just not the coach for us. It’s been a long while and it’s time for a new face. I think he’s lost the room as well. I’m curious to see if they do it over the break. If they don’t he’ll be gone before we play CHI next.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:03 p.m.
The current roster wont make the playoffs either way, they will be sellers at the deadline
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:03 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I wish but can't see it happening, management knew it was gonna be a tough haul for any coach with this lineup.

Also just like players I think it's tough to get coaches to come to Winnipeg and Maurice is happy to have a job and be here so they'll keep him.

I really think his systems suck and make this team worse then it really is, so many goals they give up are due to the systems they run.
bunzy1034, tsyls and oneX liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:04 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: tsyls
It’s honestly upsetting. Maurice is a great guy, but he’s just not the coach for us. It’s been a long while and it’s time for a new face. I think he’s lost the room as well. I’m curious to see if they do it over the break. If they don’t he’ll be gone before we play CHI next.

Yeah like i mean he’s a great guy. However the on ice product is what counts and I would say the 2015 season (our first playoff birth) and 2017-18 are our only above average seasons with him as coach.

I’m worried that we Chevy is way to loyal and won’t pull the trigger, but I hope he can prove me wrong.
tsyls liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:06 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I wish but can't see it happening, management knew it was gonna be a tough haul for any coach with this lineup.

Also just like players I think it's tough to get coaches to come to Winnipeg and Maurice is happy to have a job and be here so they'll keep him.

I really think his systems suck and make this team worse then it really is, so many goals they give up are due to the systems they run.

Totally agree about his systems. Well I mean tonight was a decent effort, but before this game we scored a pathetic amount of goals for the forwards we have. I obviously know our defence is trash but then we should be losing the 6-5 games way more than the 3-0,4-1 games
tsyls and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Yeah like i mean he’s a great guy. However the on ice product is what counts and I would say the 2015 season (our first playoff birth) and 2017-18 are our only above average seasons with him as coach.

I’m worried that we Chevy is way to loyal and won’t pull the trigger, but I hope he can prove me wrong.

Isn't it time to question if Chevy is the right guy either though? I mean really count up all the picks, prospects and players traded or that walked as UFA's for pretty much nothing and can we really say he's doing a good job? Since the trade at the 2016 draft he's probably dealt a whole drafts worth of picks for basically nothing in return and this team still has some pretty gaping holes.. Lol..

I'm really starting to doubt his ability as a GM, he's too inactive, can't just rely on the draft and waiver claims to build a team..?

I'm glad he didn't do any stupid panic trades to address the defense but a minor trade to acquire a #3/4 dman would of been a good move and I can't imagine it would've taken all that much to do that.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:15 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Isn't it time to question if Chevy is the right guy either though? I mean really count up all the picks, prospects and players traded or that walked as UFA's for pretty much nothing and can we really say he's doing a good job? Since the trade at the 2016 draft he's probably dealt a whole drafts worth of picks for basically nothing in return and this team still has some pretty gaping holes.. Lol..

I'm really starting to doubt his ability as a GM, he's too inactive, can't just rely on the draft and waiver claims to build a team..?

I'm glad he didn't do any stupid panic trades to address the defense but a minor trade to acquire a #3/4 dman would of been a good move and I can't imagine it would've taken all that much to do that.

I see what you mean, however the Byfuglien situation this year really screwed everything up. At this point I hope he never returns because he pretty much has ruined our whole season
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:16 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Totally agree about his systems. Well I mean tonight was a decent effort, but before this game we scored a pathetic amount of goals for the forwards we have. I obviously know our defence is trash but then we should be losing the 6-5 games way more than the 3-0,4-1 games

Why can't this team score anymore?

Seriously way bigger issue then the defense is where the hell did the goal scoring go?!. I mean I get the defense is a part of that sometimes but really when our forwards have gained the zone they still struggle to score and at that point it can't be blamed on this weak defense group.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Why can't this team score anymore?

Seriously way bigger issue then the defense is where the hell did the goal scoring go?!. I mean I get the defense is a part of that sometimes but really when our forwards have gained the zone they still struggle to score and at that point it can't be blamed on this weak defense group.

It’s because Maurice thinks that this “team defence” thing is somehow going to work out eventually. It clearly won’t. He has our forwards playing way to defensive and soft. That part of our game all rests on his shoulders in my opinion
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
Spleenmaster1002
This past stretch has definitely convinced me that Pomo isn’t the guy that will lead us to a cup. However, I do think he gets at least the rest of this season, I don’t see Chevy/Chipman sacking him due to the defense and injuries. But like is there honestly a coach available that make a bottom-4 of Kuli-Niku, Sbisa-Bitetto look good? Plus Lowry is out as well.

If we make the playoffs, he probably gets an extension. But if we miss them, he’s walking.
bunzy1034 and toque liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:21 p.m.
Spleenmaster1002
It’s because Maurice thinks that this “team defence” thing is somehow going to work out eventually. It clearly won’t. He has our forwards playing way to defensive and soft. That part of our game all rests on his shoulders in my opinion

Yeah, Wheeler and Lowry have basically been acting as 3rd defensemen, and Scheif has as well to a lesser extent.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: Spleenmaster1002
This past stretch has definitely convinced me that Pomo isn’t the guy that will lead us to a cup. However, I do think he gets at least the rest of this season, I don’t see Chevy/Chapman sacking him due to the defense and injuries. But like is there honestly a coach available that make a bottom-4 of Kuli-Niku, Sbisa-Bitetto look good? Plus Lowry is out as well.

If we make the playoffs, he probably gets an extension. But if we miss them, he’s walking.

I pray gallant is still available then
MisstheWhalers
I see what you mean, however the Byfuglien situation this year really screwed everything up. At this point I hope he never returns because he pretty much has ruined our whole season

I still find it hard to believe Chevy didn't know something was up, he's the GM, he had to have some knowledge of the situation and I really don't think this is strictly an injury/pondering retirement thing, I think it has something to do with whatever the **** went down in the room last season that derailed the 18-19
Jets.
No doubt Buff wears some of this but I can't totally absolve Chevy from blame without knowing all the details.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:23 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
I still find it hard to believe Chevy didn't know something was up, he's the GM, he had to have some knowledge of the situation and I really don't think this is strictly an injury/pondering retirement thing, I think it has something to do with whatever the **** went down in the room last season that derailed the 18-19
Jets.
No doubt Buff wears some of this but I can't totally absolve Chevy from blame without knowing all the details.

It’s just really hard to tell what happened at this point, doesn’t make it any less disappointing tho
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:26 p.m.
Spleenmaster1002
I pray gallant is still available then

Maybe Montgomery?
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

I do think that's it, seriously they're too concerned with this defense in my opinion. Yes it's not good but neutering your offense and having your center or a winger hang back a bit and not join the attack as quickly as they normally would isn't gonna win games.

When the forwards gain the zone you can see they're staying really spread apart so if the puck is turned over there's a guy back to support the D or clog up the neutral zone but one guy can't beat two guys very often so the puck carrier is pinched off and loses the puck anyway cause he's got no passing option cause his linemate is hanging back in case there's a turnover, it's really a dumb plan cause with no puck support you're gonna turn the puck over anyway. It's the definition of insanity really but that's what the coaches think are best so that's what the players are doing.

Like these guys aren't stars but they're not that bad, they can defend, they don't need someone back with them constantly, it really is what's killing them. Let the forwards score, let the dmen defend and whatever happens happens.

And like really when this team had a much better defense all those guys that departed or are missing in action had their fair share of **** ups too, it's not like they all played perfect defensive hockey.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:34 p.m.

I was thinking...if told Jets fans that the team will lose 4 D and start the season with young D, would your handling of the off-season be different? This is a question for you specifically and @tsyls as you both are respected Jets fans.

My point is that Maurice has done a terrific job when you consider the players Jets lost in the off-season and replaced them with players with very little NHL experience.
I'd go as far as to say he'd be my coach of the year candidate...assuming of course that he gets through this season.
tsyls liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:48 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: oneX
I was thinking...if told Jets fans that the team will lose 4 D and start the season with young D, would your handling of the off-season be different? This is a question for you specifically and @tsyls as you both are respected Jets fans.

My point is that Maurice has done a terrific job when you consider the players Jets lost in the off-season and replaced them with players with very little NHL experience.
I'd go as far as to say he'd be my coach of the year candidate...assuming of course that he gets through this season.

I see your point but it’s not all roses, we could still be doing a lot better. He’s hindering our offence and that has always been this teams strength. Look at Vegas in 17-18 everyone was laughing at there defence but gallant was able to introduce a system that was high flying and fast. Paul Maurice with maybe our strongest roster ever last season went below 500 from January 1st on. He’s been here for almost 7 years or whatever it is now and has only managed 2 good seasons. Simply not good enough. It’s time for a fresh face
MisstheWhalers, tsyls and oneX liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:48 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

Yes he got quite a bit out of this lineup early on but his systems really don't work and he's been using them for years, they didn't work last season with a great D core and they're still not so for me that's the big issue with him.

Also his lineup choices are aggravating as ****, he's had so many games where he could've scratched a guy who's clearly costing you goals but nope he keeps them in the lineup, I know many argue bottom of the lineup players are all one in the same but I disagree with that and when you're running a lineup that's been decimated by players leaving and injuries every lineup choice matters a lot.

Well how I would handle the offseason would've been different for sure but I'm not the GM.. Lol
I'm glad Chevy didn't make a panic trade for a dman but I did feel like a smaller depth move for like even a #4 dman would've made a difference and shouldn't of taken a lot to accomplish that but he didn't and now we're where we are. So at this point I'm just hoping he still doesn't make a dumb panic trade and move one of the young wingers for a dman, there's good D prospects in the pipeline.
bunzy1034 and oneX liked this.
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:53 p.m.
Yes he got quite a bit out of this lineup early on but his systems really don't work and he's been using them for years, they didn't work last season with a great D core and they're still not so for me that's the big issue with him.

Also his lineup choices are aggravating as ****, he's had so many games where he could've scratched a guy who's clearly costing you goals but nope he keeps them in the lineup, I know many argue bottom of the lineup players are all one in the same but I disagree with that and when you're running a lineup that's been decimated by players leaving and injuries every lineup choice matters a lot.

Well how I would handle the offseason would've been different for sure but I'm not the GM.. Lol
I'm glad Chevy didn't make a panic trade for a dman but I did feel like a smaller depth move for like even a #4 dman would've made a difference and shouldn't of taken a lot to accomplish that but he didn't and now we're where we are. So at this point I'm just hoping he still doesn't make a dumb panic trade and move one of the young wingers for a dman, there's good D prospects in the pipeline.

Sounds like similar things to what Leafs fans complained about Babcock.
Would you have brought back Myers knowing what you know now?
Jan. 22, 2020 at 11:54 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I see your point but it’s not all roses, we could still be doing a lot better. He’s hindering our offence and that has always been this teams strength. Look at Vegas in 17-18 everyone was laughing at there defence but gallant was able to introduce a system that was high flying and fast. Paul Maurice with maybe our strongest roster ever last season went below 500 from January 1st on. He’s been here for almost 7 years or whatever it is now and has only managed 2 good seasons. Simply not good enough. It’s time for a fresh face

Very much agree with this, like really when everyone is healthy is the Jets defense all that much worse then what Vegas went to the Cup final with? A little but not by much, better systems and making the 3rd line a bit more offensive by making Copp the center and dropping Lowry down to the 4th line would of made a big difference imo.
bunzy1034 and tsyls liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Sounds like similar things to what Leafs fans complained about Babcock.
Would you have brought back Myers knowing what you know now?

I do think the situations are somewhat similar in Jets and Leafs land.

I'm a Myers fan but logically no I don't think so, maybe but it would of been tough to fit and that was before Morrissey was signed so would have been even more difficult to know how Myers would've fit long term as no one was sure where Morrissey' contract could of gone too.

I definitely would of moved Lowry and Perreault if there was anyone interested, those two make $7M combined and the Jets have plenty of guys to replace them, there's many better ways to spend that kind of cap space then on those two guys and I've always been a Perreault fan, just think it's time to move on.
oneX, bunzy1034 and tsyls liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll