SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Winnipeg Jets

Goodbye Paul Maurice

Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:05 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
Sounds like similar things to what Leafs fans complained about Babcock.
Would you have brought back Myers knowing what you know now?

Myers no. But Chiarot yes. Jets should’ve given him the 3 year deal. I always liked him. As for the rest of your question you tagged me in I agree with what MissTheWhalers and bunzy1034 have said. Maurice just isn’t the guy for the team. Our systems hold back our offence for what? A bad defence? Maurice should be going guns blazing instead of trying to use an awful system. Buff really screwed us over this year. At this point I’d rather just ride out the year and get a top 5 pick lol.
bunzy1034, MisstheWhalers and oneX liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:07 a.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: tsyls
Myers no. But Chiarot yes. Jets should’ve given him the 3 year deal. I always liked him. As for the rest of your question you tagged me in I agree with what MissTheWhalers and bunzy1034 have said. Maurice just isn’t the guy for the team. Our systems hold back our offence for what? A bad defence? Maurice should be going guns blazing instead of trying to use an awful system. Buff really screwed us over this year. At this point I’d rather just ride out the year and get a top 5 pick lol.

Imagine adding Laffy or stutzle to the team lol
tsyls liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:08 a.m.
Gallant is the guy Jets are looking at? I was reading that another team is eyeing Gallant as well.

I really hope the Jets turn things around. It's fun to see a team back in Winnipeg and would be incredible to this team win.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:12 a.m.
Quoting: bunzy1034

This would be ridiculous lmfao. I would love to see Jets win the lottery and get Laff, move ehlers to RW. Imagine a top 6 of:

Laff-Scheif-Laine
Connor-Wheeler-Ehlers

That would be absolutely ridiculous. But I mean I wouldn’t complain with #3-6. Really good players there. I also wouldn’t complain with the jets getting drysdale.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:12 a.m.
Gallant is the guy Jets are looking at? I was reading that another team is eyeing Gallant as well.

I really hope the Jets turn things around. It's fun to see a team back in Winnipeg and would be incredible to this team win.

I mean if they’re considering firing Maurice they should be looking at Gallant. There’s no better option in my opinion.
oneX and bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

I get the theory of draft the best player available but I think they should seriously consider drafting the best center available wherever they end up selecting.

They have a lot of D prospects and are set on the wings for years but they're thin down the middle both on the team presently and in the prospect pool and centers are tough to find.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:14 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I get the theory of draft the best player available but I think they should seriously consider drafting the best center available wherever they end up selecting.

They have a lot of D prospects and are set on the wings for years but they're thin down the middle both on the team presently and in the prospect pool and centers are tough to find.

Would be nice to see them win the draft lottery and trade down to #2. Could easily fetch another 1st from a team looking to get #1.

Best case scenario, jets win draft lottery, OTT gets #2&5, jets trade for both those picks.
MisstheWhalers and bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:16 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

A lot of fans are hoping Gallant is coming to Winnipeg but personally I think they'll stay with Maurice unfortunately, the Jets ownership is too loyal for their own good.
tsyls, oneX and bunzy1034 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
A lot of fans are hoping Gallant is coming to Winnipeg but personally I think they'll stay with Maurice unfortunately, the Jets ownership is too loyal for their own good.

Do you think it's a loyalty issue? Or...smaller market, so firing/hiring is just not as easy as it is for a team like the Leafs?
tsyls liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 8:02 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Do you think it's a loyalty issue? Or...smaller market, so firing/hiring is just not as easy as it is for a team like the Leafs?

Both, too loyal and Winnipeg being a small market team with challenges in attracting players likely has the same challenges in attracting coaches.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.
When fans get on the ban wagon to move the coach, the first thing which comes to mind, who would be a suitable replacement? I put that to all Jets fans here. Tell me who would a be suitable replacement. Maurice is a good coach.

In this 4 game skid, Winnipeg has been on the wrong side of the score, but in every game. If they fail to make the playoffs then you fire your coach. Doing it now, I think is a sure fire way for the team completely tank.

The Jets have been very competitive with a decimated back end going into the season. Hellebuyck’s numbers are better than last season. Laine has turned his defensive side completely around. Wheeler’s is having an off season, but he is the face of the organization. I never been happy with Little’s contract.

Winnipeg has depth in scoring and it may come down to moving a core player to strengthen the defence. What is needed is another young defenceman who can eat up minutes. Looking at the rooster, Ehlers may be a luxury, Winnipeg needs to reevaluate.

With four UFA’s, this team appears to destine readjust their back end next season as well.

I think the Jets are on the cusp of greatest. Firing their coach would be the wrong direction.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:45 a.m.
Both, too loyal and Winnipeg being a small market team with challenges in attracting players likely has the same challenges in attracting coaches.

Yes this is a reality, and an unique problem the Jets had to manage. How does a team be competitive without overpaying for free agents? You win at the draft. Considering the draft picks which the Jets have developed, the team has done exceptionally well.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:09 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Hawksince71
When fans get on the ban wagon to move the coach, the first thing which comes to mind, who would be a suitable replacement? I put that to all Jets fans here. Tell me who would a be suitable replacement. Maurice is a good coach.

In this 4 game skid, Winnipeg has been on the wrong side of the score, but in every game. If they fail to make the playoffs then you fire your coach. Doing it now, I think is a sure fire way for the team completely tank.

The Jets have been very competitive with a decimated back end going into the season. Hellebuyck’s numbers are better than last season. Laine has turned his defensive side completely around. Wheeler’s is having an off season, but he is the face of the organization. I never been happy with Little’s contract.

Winnipeg has depth in scoring and it may come down to moving a core player to strengthen the defence. What is needed is another young defenceman who can eat up minutes. Looking at the rooster, Ehlers may be a luxury, Winnipeg needs to reevaluate.

With four UFA’s, this team appears to destine readjust their back end next season as well.

I think the Jets are on the cusp of greatest. Firing their coach would be the wrong direction.

Disagree with most of this, Maurice's systems fail this team over and over, the 17-18season was an anomaly.

Little is the least of this teams problems and they've missed him greatly this season.

This team definitely does not have depth scoring, in fact if they did have depth scoring they would likely be in a better position right now even with their depleted defense. Lowry and Perreault make $7M combined and produce at a 4th line rate, if those two produced at an average 3rd line rate then Jets fans are having a different discussion right now, those two should both be moved ASAP, that cap space could be better spent on just about anything but likely a dman.

Moving Ehlers for a dman solves absolutely nothing, who replaces Ehlers in the top 6? They have no forward prospects that have top 6 potential and Vesalainen, Harkins are huge unknowns at this point.
Also this idea that wingers are easy to replace/find is a total myth, if it was so easy then the teams that need them like the Oilers wouldn't have such difficulty finding them.

Wheeler could go and his play has fallen off, his contract is a way bigger concern then Little's imo.

This team needs an offensive minded coach, the Vegas system is the way the Jets play so Gallant would be great for this team the way it's built.

Chevy wears a lot of this for not moving some pieces in the summer for a dman, Lowry should of been gone and that money used for a dman, Copp has been ready to replace Lowry for a long time and Lowry has never been more then a 4th line player.

I think some minor moves 15-20 games into this season would've helped quite a bit, Chevy isn't active enough building this team. They have been decimated by injuries though, they miss Little more than anyone realizes, I hope his haters are choking on crow right now...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll