Forums/Armchair-GM

Zucc and Zuck

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2020
Published: Jan. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trades can be at the TDL or this summer.
I’m very curious if there is a team out there who would take Zuccarello (and his contract) if the Wild retain $1m per.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Donato, Ryan
  2. Soucy, Carson
  3. Zuccarello, Mats ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
I actually think this is genius...IF the needs of the Nucks are being met, which I think they are... What says you?
MIN
  1. Poulin, Samuel
  2. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Zucker, Jason
  2. 2020 4th round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
It’s the trade scenario that never dies...
TOR
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Foligno, Marcus
Additional Details:
Dumba is picking up his game!
Summertime deal.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$67,740,957$0$1,100,000$13,759,043
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
Zuccarello probably wouldn't waive his NMC...

Also, sounds like Leafs aren't moving Nylander so I'm really hoping we could entice Carolina to give us Necas. Doubt it happens but it's a dream of mine lol
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
Poulin, 1st for Zucker, 4th

Counter

Bjugstad, 1st for Zucker w/$1M retention, 4th

There is a reason that there are so many rumors about Zucker getting traded out of Minnesota, and it's not because he is a keeper.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:37 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo

Counter

There is a reason that there are so many rumors about Zucker getting traded out of Minnesota, and it's not because he is a keeper.

The reason is because he's 28 (doesn't fit the getting younger idea), our most movable winger (Fiala is young, Zucc and Parise aren't getting traded), and we have a star Russian winger that needs a place in the top 6 next year. It's not because of Zucker's play, the guy is on pace for 29 goals this season for goodness sake. He was in Fenton's dog house for no reason last year so that's why there have been so many rumors about him.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver

Counter

Lol what Jason Zucker is very good for what his contract is and has term. He's constantly getting traded because the Wild had a dumb GM, are being forced into a rebuild and he's one of like three players on that team who have any value. Doesn't help that he plays at a position that needs to be cleared for Kaprizov.
TanSor and MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
Lol what Jason Zucker is very good for what his contract is and has term. He's constantly getting traded because the Wild had a dumb GM, are being forced into a rebuild and he's one of like three players on that team who have any value. Doesn't help that he plays at a position that needs to be cleared for Kaprizov.

Pittsburgh fans act like he's a 3rd line scrub that can't score more than 20 goals. The guy's a great top 6 winger, he should easily score over 30 next to Sid.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: TanSor

Also, sounds like Leafs aren't moving Nylander so I'm really hoping we could entice Carolina to give us Necas. Doubt it happens but it's a dream of mine lol

Im pretty happy you guys are going to get your franchise centre this draft. Idk why but my gut feeling you guys end up with Rossi
TanSor liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Im pretty happy you guys are going to get your franchise centre this draft. Idk why but my gut feeling you guys end up with Rossi

I'd love Rossi. I'd honestly be happy with anyone but Lundell (we have too many defnse-first centers). You hoping for Byfield?
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:52 p.m.
KFTW
I'd love Rossi. I'd honestly be happy with anyone but Lundell (we have too many defnse-first centers). You hoping for Byfield?

tbh im just hoping for a top 3 and top 8 pick. One of Laf, Byfield, Stutzle and then one of Rossi, Drysdale, Raymond, Holtz.
TanSor and OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster

If you are rebuilding your don't get rid of a supposedly good 28 year old on a good contract. You get rid of old guys and bad contracts.
Clearing a spot for Kaprizov is grasping at straws. We have to get rid of this great player on a great contract for a guy that never played one second of North American hockey... yeah... that's it... that's the reason. There are 4 top-6 wing slots and 8 wing slots overall, and that doesn't take injuries into account. Kaprizov is an excuse, not an explanation.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.
MNBassman
If you are rebuilding your don't get rid of a supposedly good 28 year old on a good contract. You get rid of old guys and bad contracts.
Clearing a spot for Kaprizov is grasping at straws. We have to get rid of this great player on a great contract for a guy that never played one second of North American hockey... yeah... that's it... that's the reason. There are 4 top-6 wing slots and 8 wing slots overall, and that doesn't take injuries into account. Kaprizov is an excuse, not an explanation.

You have no idea what you are talking about! Please leave and let the informed people continue their conversation!
Jan. 23, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
MNBassman

I’ve got to believe he would consider waiving to go to a better team...why wouldn’t he?

As for Nylander, that’s the Leafs fans talking...I’m pretty confident Dubas would have to (at least) think about this...

Do you think Necas could stick at center?
TanSor and OutCold13 liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 3:06 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
You have no idea what you are talking about! Please leave and let the informed people continue their conversation!

Yeah, logic hurts your position doesn't it. It stinks when it isn't just a bunch of homer yes-men all just blindly agreeing with one another.

I did counter with Bjugstad, 1st for Zucker w/$1M retention, 4th
Jan. 23, 2020 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
I e got to believe he would consider waiving to go to a better team...why wouldn’t he?

As for Nylander, that’s the Leafs fans talking...I’m pretty confident Dubas would have to think about this...

Do you think Necas could stick at center?

I mean if Zuccarello is willing to waive and he didn't have negative value I'd be more than fine moving him. I really like the guy but we need to get younger.

True about Nylander. Apparently Toronto is really interested in Brodin, maybe they have interest in Dumba as well?

I think he could. He was drafted as a center, after all. Carolina just has a major surplus at center which is why I think he's primarily played wing there.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 3:41 p.m.
Banned
Pittsburgh fans act like he's a 3rd line scrub that can't score more than 20 goals. The guy's a great top 6 winger, he should easily score over 30 next to Sid.

This is always the argument other teams make in trading with the penguins. So and So would score 30 goals next to Sid.......
It's like they forget reality. Sid already has a long term 40 goal LW winger.

I think these constant trade rumors are the penguins helping MIN.
One GM to another. To help drive the price up on Zucker for whoever he does get traded to, if he does get traded.
But the penguins are really looking for a RW with term. They are loaded at LW. Jake, McCann, Kahun, ZAR. that's one of the most solid 4 LW combos in the whole league. Those guys are all long term.
They aren't moving those guys off the LW either Even though some people have a fantasy of McCann playing center long term. They really want to utilize his great shot and let him be a shooter on the wing much like Jake. While using his speed and solid defensive skills paired with Malkin, much like Rust. Playing a N/S game which suits all 3 of those players.. They want to turn McCann into a 30+ goal scorer. Zucker doesn't play nearly as well on his RW as his LW, like most players. So I don't really see them going out there way on this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Edited Jan. 23, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.

If you are rebuilding that's exactly the people you get rid of. You take the old guys and bad contracts so that you suck and get a good spot in the draft lottery. Luckily for the Wild, they've got this part down. Now they need to trade their good guys so that they can get back picks and prospects and start building their new core. That's how rebuilds work.

Look at the Rangers- they traded a bunch of good players on good contracts so that they sucked and they got a second overall pick out of it, as well as the returns for all of those guys and now the Rangers are pretty set. The Wild may not be able to seriously contend until the Parise and Suter contracts are up, so for me, that's when their window opens, maybe a little before if those guys retire or whatever. So, looking at their roster, they've got three players- Zucker, Dumba, and Brodin- who have (obviously not equal) trade value, whose contracts expire before that window opens, and who will be over thirty anyway and you won't want on a young team. It makes no sense to keep them when you don't have many prospects making noise to create that new core. If you trade them now while they've got term, you get a better return.

The only reason I brought up Kaprizov is because there isn't a potentially star talent that wants to play in the NHL for the Wild where Dumba and Brodin play. Krill Kaprizov is supposed to be part of the new core. If your mindset is to bring in assets to use for a rebuild, then Zucker makes perfect sense- a lot of people want him, he won't be under contract when the window is open, he'll have aged out of the window if he is still there, and he costs a team who is not going anywhere a decent amount of money to keep around. All of those things apply to Brodin and Dumba too (more so Dumba), but you still need someone playing defense for you, where you've got a cheap guy ready to come in and play in Zucker's spot, and that guy could potentially speed up your rebuild if he pans out. If Kaprizov sucks, well, who cares, you're supposed to be tanking.

Basically my point is the Wild need to tank regardless of what happens with Zucker, but it's harder to tank when he's here because he's good. Kaprizov really doesn't matter, but it sure is easier to commit to trading him when you've got a highly rated prospect stepping in who could replace him.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 6:38 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
The Canucks trade is intriguing. I hope some nucks fans weigh in. I think Zuccarello would waive NTC if he was told Wild are in a rebuild. I don't know if Loui would either way I like it.
MNBassman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll