Forums/Armchair-GM

Changes

Created by: dwr8001
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2020
Published: Jan. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Why does no one talk about the salary cap hell that Tampa will be in next year most of there D core will need new contracts and 2 are UFA's.
Trades
MIN
  1. Johnson, Tyler
Additional Details:
I know Johnson has a NMC but maybe Tampa can convince him to waive.
TBL
  1. Dumba, Matt
Additional Details:
Both players have term and would make sense for both teams going forward. I know Johnson is older but Right shot Centers don't just grow on trees. Also mor can be added but this is just the base of the deal.
TBL
  1. Brodin, Jonas
Additional Details:
Would love to have Point for the future but I'm pretty sure it's a Non-Starter for Tampa. Also I know other moves need to be made to make room for the Russian savior but that's for another thread.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,236,924$0$1,100,000$7,263,076
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:31 p.m.
There is no chance Point moves with that cap hit. I'd also say no on that Dumba trade. Johnson makes less than Dumba, I'd rather try to get Stamkos out of Tampa (unlikely, but it helps their cap situation more in this case)
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:31 p.m.
Wild take Point and run (TB laughs and hangs up).

Wild shouldn't touch the Johnson trade. Overpaying Haula/RNH as a UFA would be a better option.
TanSor liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:46 p.m.
Quoting: BLIvingston33
There is no chance Point moves with that cap hit. I'd also say no on that Dumba trade. Johnson makes less than Dumba, I'd rather try to get Stamkos out of Tampa (unlikely, but it helps their cap situation more in this case)

Yes it does but he is that franchise I don't think there is anyway in hell he moves. Why no on the Dumba trade?
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
Wild take Point and run (TB laughs and hangs up).

Wild shouldn't touch the Johnson trade. Overpaying Haula/RNH as a UFA would be a better option.

Really?? RNH has another year left how would that work?? I would not mind Haula but what doe he have left after his knee injury??
Jan. 23, 2020 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: dwr8001
Yes it does but he is that franchise I don't think there is anyway in hell he moves. Why no on the Dumba trade?

I just think Johnson is a guy that has largely benefitted from having great linemates. The Wild should keep Dumba right now, when he's at peak value he will probably fetch a legit number one center or just be a legit number one d-man for the Wild. I can't be so hung up on a right-handed center when we probably draft a future number one center this year and have Khovanov as the potential number two center. Get some righties on the wing.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:06 p.m.
I just think Johnson is a guy that has largely benefitted from having great linemates. The Wild should keep Dumba right now, when he's at peak value he will probably fetch a legit number one center or just be a legit number one d-man for the Wild. I can't be so hung up on a right-handed center when we probably draft a future number one center this year and have Khovanov as the potential number two center. Get some righties on the wing.

That very well may be but how many guys in the NHL could you say that about?? Are we sure that Dumba's peek value was not 2 years ago?? What makes you think he will top that year in the future?
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:12 p.m.
That very well may be but how many guys in the NHL could you say that about?? Are we sure that Dumba's peek value was not 2 years ago?? What makes you think he will top that year in the future?

He leads the team in shots, they're just not going in right now. 10% more of those shots go in and this whole trade conversation changes. He'd have over 12 goals right now with a 10% shooting percentage. Would be on pace for over 20.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:35 p.m.
Not a fan of the Dumba trade at all, and that isn't enough for Point (honestly if you want him it'd be a large overpayment such as Kaprizov + our first + possibly more). Tampa isn't a great trading partner for the Wild since we'd have to take a Gourde/Palat/Killorn coming back if we traded them Brodin or Dumba and those aren't players we should be after.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:44 p.m.
He leads the team in shots, they're just not going in right now. 10% more of those shots go in and this whole trade conversation changes. He'd have over 12 goals right now with a 10% shooting percentage. Would be on pace for over 20.

A high volume 8% shooter is about what Dumba's career average is. He'll rebound at some point this year and get closer to his average. If he was a FWD they'd be saying he was gripping the stick to tight right now. I do think he's in his own head too much right now and not just playing the game naturally.
TanSor and MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:45 p.m.

I think if you move Dumba you'd hope you find a GM sees the last 4 years of his NHL career and values him based off that rather than the first 4 months of this season. I know he had the injury and that's definitely a factor, but everything Dumba used to be is still there if you watch him. Seems like it's all in his head IMO. I also kind of disagree with your right shot winger point. I see really three true centers in the top 10 this year: Byfield, Rossi, and Lundell. Byfield is a pipe dream and likely won't happen and Lundell strikes me as a similar player to Eriksson Ek and I'm sick of these defense-first centers. We need a go-to offensive stud down the middle. To me, that's Marco Rossi. So basically if we don't get Rossi, it's a winger or a D (not that that's a bad thing because I like all of them) meaning I really would push for a center prospect in a hypothetical Brodin or Dumba trade if a prospect is the main piece. Doesn't have to be a right shot, but ideally it would be. Otherwise a hybrid C/W like Necas intrigues the hell out of me if Waddell is as hot on Brodin as it sounds he is...
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:46 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Not a fan of the Dumba trade at all, and that isn't enough for Point (honestly if you want him it'd be a large overpayment such as Kaprizov + our first + possibly more). Tampa isn't a great trading partner for the Wild since we'd have to take a Gourde/Palat/Killorn coming back if we traded them Brodin or Dumba and those aren't players we should be after.[/quote

I know point is a no go but WHY in the Hell is Tampa in ANY Place to ask us to Take anything back in a trade they are screwed next year with the cap and have no leverge at all.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:50 p.m.

I mean you just said it yourself: they are screwed with cap. So IF we want to trade them a Brodin, Dumba, or hell even a Zucker or Foligno, there's no way they can afford to take those players without giving us a player with a higher cap. They literally cannot make a trade where they give us straight picks and prospects for Brodin/Dumba/Zucker/Foligno since they don't have the cap space to make it happen. That's why they are such bad trading partners for us because we need picks and prospects (or at least a young NHL player that would have a low cap hit like Cirelli) if we trade any of those guys, not your Gourde/Killorn/Johnson/Palats of the world.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:57 p.m.
I mean you just said it yourself: they are screwed with cap. So IF we want to trade them a Brodin, Dumba, or hell even a Zucker or Foligno, there's no way they can afford to take those players without giving us a player with a higher cap. They literally cannot make a trade where they give us straight picks and prospects for Brodin/Dumba/Zucker/Foligno since they don't have the cap space to make it happen. That's why they are such bad trading partners for us because we need picks and prospects (or at least a young NHL player that would have a low cap hit like Cirelli) if we trade any of those guys, not your Gourde/Killorn/Johnson/Palats of the world.

Why do you think Tyler Johnson is not a fit here?? They need D-men to help fill out there roster but in order to do that they need to give up Fowards on the current roster to a make it work.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:58 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Why does no one talk about the salary cap hell that Tampa will be in next year most of there D core will need new contracts and 2 are UFA's. Some of us have talked about the cap hell Tampa will be in next year. For some reason, many think their NTC and even M NTCs are just easy trades and players are waiving their trade clauses.

That being said, I really don't like your trades Dumba is worth far more than Johnson and Point is a star, Brodin isn't
Jan. 23, 2020 at 11:00 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Why does no one talk about the salary cap hell that Tampa will be in next year most of there D core will need new contracts and 2 are UFA's. Some of us have talked about the cap hell Tampa will be in next year. For some reason, many think their NTC and even M NTCs are just easy trades and players are waiving their trade clauses.

That being said, I really don't like your trades Dumba is worth far more than Johnson and Point is a star, Brodin isn't

That's fine but I did say more could be added by both sides to make the trade more even just not sure what exactly that would be.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 11:07 p.m.
Why do you think Tyler Johnson is not a fit here?? They need D-men to help fill out there roster but in order to do that they need to give up Fowards on the current roster to a make it work.

Same reason Zucker isn't a fit: age (we need to get younger), he's suited for a contender being in his prime and we need to rebuild, and he's a top 6 forward when we need room for Kaprizov next year. And your second sentence is exactly why they aren't good trade partners imo, we have no room as is for more roster forwards and the ones they have don't fit the idea that we need young players.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 11:14 p.m.
I think if you move Dumba you'd hope you find a GM sees the last 4 years of his NHL career and values him based off that rather than the first 4 months of this season. I know he had the injury and that's definitely a factor, but everything Dumba used to be is still there if you watch him. Seems like it's all in his head IMO. I also kind of disagree with your right shot winger point. I see really three true centers in the top 10 this year: Byfield, Rossi, and Lundell. Byfield is a pipe dream and likely won't happen and Lundell strikes me as a similar player to Eriksson Ek and I'm sick of these defense-first centers. We need a go-to offensive stud down the middle. To me, that's Marco Rossi. So basically if we don't get Rossi, it's a winger or a D (not that that's a bad thing because I like all of them) meaning I really would push for a center prospect in a hypothetical Brodin or Dumba trade if a prospect is the main piece. Doesn't have to be a right shot, but ideally it would be. Otherwise a hybrid C/W like Necas intrigues the hell out of me if Waddell is as hot on Brodin as it sounds he is...

I'm not interested in Rossi with a top-10 pick. He's small and one of the oldest players in his draft class.
Jan. 23, 2020 at 11:27 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
I'm not interested in Rossi with a top-10 pick. He's small and one of the oldest players in his draft class.

I see the concern, my point is that he's really the only intriguing true center in the draft to me from purely a skill set standpoint that we realistically could get (we aren't getting Byfield) and that's why we should target a center prospect in a Dumba/Brodin trade if a prospect is the main piece in the trade.
Jan. 24, 2020 at 8:02 a.m.
I see the concern, my point is that he's really the only intriguing true center in the draft to me from purely a skill set standpoint that we realistically could get (we aren't getting Byfield) and that's why we should target a center prospect in a Dumba/Brodin trade if a prospect is the main piece in the trade.

Lundell is the guy outside of Bayfield that interests me. He needs to add a bunch of muscle mass though. This is not the draft class that I'm excited for at all.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll