Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Approach to Trade Deadline?

What to do for the Trade Deadline?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 23, 2020 at 10:37 p.m.
Campbe11
Edited Feb. 5, 2020 at 11:31 p.m.
Hello, fellow Leafs fans my name is Paul.

I have created this thread because I feel our collective voices should be heard, and a poll is the simplest way for that.

Dubis is in the stream cooker now with massive decisions to make. This season has been a rough one to be a leaf fan, no doubt! I blame the hope carrot dangling before our noses, and we can smell it! However, even though the Babcock thing was unpleasant and necessary, he had value to this team and was doing his best to cope with certain defects our team has. Now the Keefe honeymoon is over; we can see that something is wrong. What that is, is debatable and subjective, and even more blurred is what to do about it. For instance, I think TML's cut-short the rebuild a bit! Others think topline right-handed defenders with fall from the sky or can be swapped for a bag of pucks.

Anyhow for this thread, let's forget the details of the who-for-who and decide together on the what first.

What should our strategy be heading into the trade deadline?
Jan. 23, 2020 at 11:03 p.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Jan. 24, 2020 at 6:43 p.m.
Quoting: Leaf_fan_74
Hello, fellow Leafs fans my name is Paul.

I have created this thread because I feel our collective voices should be heard, and a poll is the simplest way for that.

Dubis is in the stream cooker now with massive decisions to make. This season has been a rough one to be a leaf fan, no doubt! I blame the hope carrot dangling before our noses, and we can smell it! However, even though the Babcock thing was unpleasant and necessary, he had value to this team and was doing his best to cope with certain defects our team has. Now the Keefe honeymoon is over; we can see that something is wrong. What that is, is debatable and subjective, and even more blurred is what to do about it. For instance, I think we cut-short the rebuild a bit! Others think topline right-handed defenders with fall from the sky or can be swapped for a bag of pucks.

Anyhow for this thread, let's forget the details of the who-for-who and decide together on the what first.

What should our strategy be heading into the trade deadline?

I actually think the Leafs strategy heading into the trade deadline should be to stay committed with their players and have all the players buy in to playing a stronger team defence and team offense game rather than just a team offense game. All teams in the NHL are going to tighten up and focus on playing a stronger team defence game for the rest of the season and playoffs. Sheldon Keefe hinted to this before the break by saying the team had been playing a very immature game which is normal for a team with so many young players. Do not want to see Leafs blow up team as this is a very young and inexperienced team and is realistically a few years away from being at their best.

Like to see the Leafs add a back-up goalie to the team heading into the trade deadline and also bring back Marchment to add some sandpaper to a 4rst line energy line.
Jan. 24, 2020 at 12:10 a.m.
Campbe11
Quoting: TMLSage
I actually think the Leafs strategy heading into the trade deadline should be to stay committed with their players and have all the players buy in to playing a stronger team defence and team offense game rather than just a team offense game. All teams in the NHL are going to tighten up and focus on playing a stronger defence game for the rest of the reason and playoffs. Sheldon Keefe hinted to this before the break by saying the team had been playing a very immatue game which is normal for a team with so many young players. Do not want to see Leafs blow up team as this is a very young and inexperienced team and is realistically a few years away from being at their best.

Like to see the Leafs add a back-up goalie to the team heading into the trade deadline and also bring back Marchment to add some sandpaper in 4rst line energy line.

So... that's a Stand Pat (first option) and a fair choice, but please vote and be counted!
Jan. 24, 2020 at 5:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I voted "stand pat". It's not like the Leafs have the cap to acquire any meaningful players. Leafs shouldn't be trading good futures either. This season seems to "be lost" and no tinkering at TDL is gonna make much difference in this season's outcome.
Jan. 25, 2020 at 1:23 p.m.
Campbe11
Quoting: palhal
I voted "stand pat". It's not like the Leafs have the cap to acquire any meaningful players. Leafs shouldn't be trading good futures either. This season seems to "be lost" and no tinkering at TDL is gonna make much difference in this season's outcome.

I agree to a certain extent... If UFA's could improve futures I believe we should do that. Besides, it could be good development opportunities for prospects to play the rest of the season and who knows they could catch lightning in a bottle. Thanks for participating.
Jan. 25, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Stand pat

Do not acquire UFAs, only make a trade if makes sense for the future and the present.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:21 a.m.
Campbe11
Quoting: Trickster
Stand pat

Do not acquire UFAs, only make a trade if makes sense for the future and the present.

BTW, my wording might not be clear, I meant trade away UFA's for futures. Thanks for participating.
Feb. 5, 2020 at 11:29 p.m.
Campbe11
And now?
Feb. 16, 2020 at 9:39 p.m.
Campbe11
Edited Feb. 16, 2020 at 10:32 p.m.
Quoting: Leaf_fan_74
And now?

Three weeks since I started this thread, Honestly, my feeling of how to approach this years trade deadline has not changed. Here are a couple of questions I consider as I try to answer this question if I were hypothetically the GM of this team.

Are they playing well?
Will making the playoffs be an accomplishment? What does it mean not to make them like Tampa a few years back didn't?
If they make the playoffs, do they have a chance to win it all?
What is the cost to improve, and do we have the resources to spend?
What is the opportunity cost of each: buying or selling?

Each of us will have our answers to these questions. No doubt!

I have been a Leafs fan long enough to go from the naive-optimist "we'll-get'em-next-year" fan to a highly bitter skeptic waiting for the hockey gods to crush our hopes again just one more time. Funny, if you are the former and don't believe it will happen to you... go and check out Steve Dangle's old LFR's in comparison to the ones he is posting these days. Let me save you some time, what you will see is he who was once known for his Ra-Ra super optimistic love for this team, converted a too and sheer lack of desire to watch games of an organization he literally makes a living off. I understand what he feels twice over being a decade older and having seen this show before.

Fact is a locker room full of SuperStar egos, does not a great team make!

Sell all UFA's and furthermore if we don't want to continue like this we must consider trading one of the 11mil salaries in the offseason.

Final Question... What's more important, team hardware, or an individual of the team getting hardware?
Feb. 23, 2020 at 10:45 a.m.
Campbe11
A 42-year-old Zamboni driver! OMG if we had this gem all along why did why play hutch so long?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit