Remaking the entire team to basically complete the rebuild

Created by: Sagecoll
Team: 2019-20 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2019
Published: Jan. 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Rationale:
1) Trouba has 97 pts over his last 185 games as a dman. Tuch has 102 pts over his last 187 games as a Forward. And Trouba's offensive pace has been better this year than Tuch's while Tuch is stuck on Vegas' 3rd line. Trouba's superiority as a player compensates for the cap hit equally. And it fills needs for both teams, Vegas gets a top Dman, which they desperately need because they only have 1 RHD under contract next year and no great RHD prospects in the pool, Rangers get a top 6 Winger to replace Kreider.

2) Offense for Defense swap. Carolina being vocal about their need for defense. Hajek has NHL level experience as a 21 year old. Would do much better offensively in Carolina's possession based system as opposed to the dump and chase system ran in NY. Kuokkanen is a solid player, but further down the depth chart as far as Hurricanes F prospects are behind guys like Bokk/Suzuki/Rees/Gauthier/Luostarinen/Puistola/Drury/etc.

3) Strome has reinvented himself in NY. He's on a 74 point pace this season playing C and on both PK and PP. Meanwhile, Kase might be showing signs all the injuries and concussions are catching up to him as his point production is way down this year despite finally playing in every game for the 1st time. Strome's positional flexibility allows him to play top 6 C until Zegras is ready and then comfortably slide over to RW, or he can slide over to RW if Anaheim wants to play Steel as the 2C.

4) SImple offense for Defense trade at the draft. Staal fills the spot that Jay Bo gives up after this year and does everything Jay Bo does just as well. Steen doesn't really have a spot with guys like Tarasenko coming back and Blais/Kostin/Kyrou coming up next year. Equal Pay, Equal impact on ice.
5) Georgiev goes to a team that will make him a starter. The price is roughly a 1st and Yzerman pays it with a 2nd + Berggren. Detroit gets their goaltender for the next handful of years.
6) 1st + Hallander is roughly the price of Kreider who's at a pt/gm pace over his last 20 games. Bjugstad gets dealt mainly for cap space. Rangers sweeten it a little bit by adding Skinner and retaining.
7) Fast goes for basically what Hagelin got though the 6th bumps to a 4th because Fast is younger, cheaper, and more productive.
Trades
NYR
    7th Round Pick Anywhere. Cody McLeod got traded last year for it, Haley is honestly better heh.
    NYR
    1. Tuch, Alex
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (NJD)
    CAR
    1. Hájek, Libor
    2. 2020 7th round pick (NYR)
    NYR
    1. Kase, Ondrej
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (ANA)
    ANA
    1. Strome, Ryan
    2. 2020 4th round pick (NYR)
    NYR
    1. Steen, Alexander
    Additional Details:
    At Draft.
    NYR
    1. Berggren, Jonatan [Reserve List]
    2. 2020 2nd round pick (DET)
    NYR
    1. Bjugstad, Nick
    2. Hållander, Filip
    3. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
    PIT
    1. Kreider, Chris ($2,300,000 retained)
    2. Skinner, Hunter [Reserve List]
    NYR
    1. 2020 3rd round pick (NSH)
    2. 2021 4th round pick (NSH)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$71,602,299$0$7,977,500$9,897,701
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 7
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $2,050,000$2,050,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
    RW
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $811,666$811,666 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    LW, RW, C
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    G
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $809,166$809,166 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    RD
    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
    Skeating_sec224
    Id rather move DeAngleo to get try to get Tuch than Trouba.
    Don't see JD/Gorton parting with their 2nd biggest acquisition.
    Don't think TDA plays enough D. Heck he doesn't even kill penalties.

I doubt they move Strome as he's RFA with arbitration rights, & he has a solid repoir with Pananrin. Dont see him signing a long extension, he may get a Hayes-ish 1 year deal & moved at the 2021 deadline.

Any deal for CK is gonna have a conditional tag on it if your asking for an A prospect, Hållander i'd guess is really a B, B+? & taking Bjugstad back could net the 1st as well as the salary retention

I think they resign Quickie, 3 years 2.75 million per.

Odd Andersson want moved & Howden is down?

I dig the other stuff. .
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 5:12 p.m.
    Pop Pop
    Detroit won't move that 2nd but maybe Washington's which they own.
    aedoran liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.
    VGK should not move Tuch he has an incredible contract; even for Trouba.
    Do not think ANH moves Kase without a Strome extension in place (otherwise Strome arbitrates for 1 year and then walks), and the trade itself makes little sense for ANH. They have centers in the pipeline coming up they need more wingers (specifically RWs).
    Doubt Steen waives just because he has a better chance at winning next year in STL, and Staal might not even want to waive because he's comfortable here.
    Fast probably will not get that 4th rounder tacked on but close enough.
    That's a really high asking price for Kreider.
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    Detroit won't move that 2nd but maybe Washington's which they own.

I don't see Yzerman trading any picks in this years draft.
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
    the Kuokkanen trade is interesting
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 6:46 p.m.
    Pop Pop
    Quoting: aedoran
    I don't see Yzerman trading any picks in this years draft.

I agree generally but i think washingtons 2nd or san jose 3rd could be in play if it was a young piece
    aedoran liked this.
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
    staal isn't going to waive his nmc because its more financially beneficial for him to be bought out and become a ufa. the rangers owe stall 4.2mill next season, if he is bought out he will gets paid 3,133,333 over the next 2 seasons.

staal isn't waiving his nmc, please people give up this lost hope.
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 7:18 p.m.
    Quoting: rja
    VGK should not move Tuch he has an incredible contract; even for Trouba.
    Do not think ANH moves Kase without a Strome extension in place (otherwise Strome arbitrates for 1 year and then walks), and the trade itself makes little sense for ANH. They have centers in the pipeline coming up they need more wingers (specifically RWs).
    Doubt Steen waives just because he has a better chance at winning next year in STL, and Staal might not even want to waive because he's comfortable here.
    Fast probably will not get that 4th rounder tacked on but close enough.
    That's a really high asking price for Kreider.

I'd consider Karlsson as well if you prefer. But I think we really only will consider Tuch's contract as "amazing" if he's at a 60+ point pace consistently... Right now he's played 2.5 full seasons. Season 1 he's at a 39 point pace over 82 games. Season 2 he's at a 57 point pace. Season 3, and he's at a 30 point pace this year over 82 games. His career average is 45 points over a 82 game span on a very high scoring team. The notion that his contract is amazing is based on a narrative of him piggy backing off of last year onto something great. That's not what has happened... he's regressed a bit. He's only 2 years younger than Trouba. The contract seems fair...And consider the positional depth that Vegas has at F and their dearth of D combined with the lack of top 4 D on the UFA market, I think they certainly consider the deal.

Strome's extension could certainly happen, but that's for Anaheim to negotiate. I have no problem putting that in place as part of the deal....Strome is also very comfortable at RW (I talked about his positional flexibility in the rationale). I think they certainly consider this deal as well.

Can't speak to Steen or Staal waiving. But I don't think Staal or Steen actually play much for their own teams next year. There's really no place for them. Rangers are going to try to bring players like Rykov/Miller/Robertson up to LHD, and Blues have Kyrou and Kostin to get in the lineup. Whether they want to be "comfortable" is up to them. But i think if they want to actually be on the ice, they make the deal.

I'd say it's an appropriate asking price for Kreider. He's been a pt/game player over the last 20+ games. No conditional picks if you want to resign. Just a solid prospect and a 1st. Hallander probably is about 4th in the Penguins organization behind Addison/Poulin/Legare right now. So to go to a division rival the price might be a tick higher.
    Jan. 24, 2020 at 11:36 p.m.
    Quoting: Sagecoll
    I'd consider Karlsson as well if you prefer. But I think we really only will consider Tuch's contract as "amazing" if he's at a 60+ point pace consistently... Right now he's played 2.5 full seasons. Season 1 he's at a 39 point pace over 82 games. Season 2 he's at a 57 point pace. Season 3, and he's at a 30 point pace this year over 82 games. His career average is 45 points over a 82 game span on a very high scoring team. The notion that his contract is amazing is based on a narrative of him piggy backing off of last year onto something great. That's not what has happened... he's regressed a bit. He's only 2 years younger than Trouba. The contract seems fair...And consider the positional depth that Vegas has at F and their dearth of D combined with the lack of top 4 D on the UFA market, I think they certainly consider the deal.

Strome's extension could certainly happen, but that's for Anaheim to negotiate. I have no problem putting that in place as part of the deal....Strome is also very comfortable at RW (I talked about his positional flexibility in the rationale). I think they certainly consider this deal as well.

Can't speak to Steen or Staal waiving. But I don't think Staal or Steen actually play much for their own teams next year. There's really no place for them. Rangers are going to try to bring players like Rykov/Miller/Robertson up to LHD, and Blues have Kyrou and Kostin to get in the lineup. Whether they want to be "comfortable" is up to them. But i think if they want to actually be on the ice, they make the deal.

I'd say it's an appropriate asking price for Kreider. He's been a pt/game player over the last 20+ games. No conditional picks if you want to resign. Just a solid prospect and a 1st. Hallander probably is about 4th in the Penguins organization behind Addison/Poulin/Legare right now. So to go to a division rival the price might be a tick higher.

Tuch is top 9 forward on a sub 5 million dollar deal for 7 years. If the cap continues to increase, it's going to look really good in 3-4 years from now. I just think VGK are smart enough to keep him, given the team friendly aspect of his deal and his upside.

Strome is going to want a lot of money if he continues to put these points up, so NYR moving him would be a prudent decision. But GMs are smart enough to know that his success is byproduct of playing with Panarin, so I think he would be traded for a 2nd and 3rd in consecutive years, similar to Zuccarello. But I do not think NYR have the wherewithal or guts to move him right now.

I think it's a good place to start with Kreider, but I do not think a team would acquiesce to that price. Thinking as of now, it would be a first and a B prospect (which is still worth it to NYR).
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 12:56 a.m.
    Tuch is top 9 forward on a sub 5 million dollar deal for 7 years. If the cap continues to increase, it's going to look really good in 3-4 years from now. I just think VGK are smart enough to keep him, given the team friendly aspect of his deal and his upside.

Strome is going to want a lot of money if he continues to put these points up, so NYR moving him would be a prudent decision. But GMs are smart enough to know that his success is byproduct of playing with Panarin, so I think he would be traded for a 2nd and 3rd in consecutive years, similar to Zuccarello. But I do not think NYR have the wherewithal or guts to move him right now.

I think it's a good place to start with Kreider, but I do not think a team would acquiesce to that price. Thinking as of now, it would be a first and a B prospect (which is still worth it to NYR).

I guess so, but Vegas is in a super tough spot positionally...Again, if not Tuch then it's probably Karlsson. The only other way around it is building a package around prospects and 1sts (most likely Elvenes + 1st +, but that would mean taking on much more cap...)

I think your Strome comparison is WAYYYY off. He's on pace for 74 points and is an RFA. You want to compare him to a 30 year old UFA??? His production is definitely all thanks to an Elite Top Line player. Jeez who can we say that about: Jake Guentzel lol. Seriously. Last year Guentzel scored 76 points, Crosby contributed on 62% of them. This year Strome is on pace for 74 points. Panarin has contributed on 58% of them. It's the same thing. And Strome is probably going to look at Guentzel's 6 mil contract as a model.

How much value does Guentzel have on the open market? It's probably a lot. But let's look at maybe an easier comparison. Last year a top 6 Winger who kinda plays C was traded after putting up a 52 point pace, but many thought that his production was heavily aided by being around Elite Scorers fitting a similar profile and being a similar age as Strome. He got traded for a 1st and 3rd Round pick. That was JT Miller...

It doesn't matter who you're playing with, scoring 70+ takes a lot of skill...I mean we can go on. Elias Lindholm doesn't break 45 points for 4.5 seasons and yet, when he's with Johnny Hockey suddenly he's a 78 point player....Same thing.

Strome's most likely going to finish with 70+ points and that should most likely net you a 1st ++.
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 10:11 a.m.
    Edited Jan. 25, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
    I guess so, but Vegas is in a super tough spot positionally...Again, if not Tuch then it's probably Karlsson. The only other way around it is building a package around prospects and 1sts (most likely Elvenes + 1st +, but that would mean taking on much more cap...)

I think your Strome comparison is WAYYYY off. He's on pace for 74 points and is an RFA. You want to compare him to a 30 year old UFA??? His production is definitely all thanks to an Elite Top Line player. Jeez who can we say that about: Jake Guentzel lol. Seriously. Last year Guentzel scored 76 points, Crosby contributed on 62% of them. This year Strome is on pace for 74 points. Panarin has contributed on 58% of them. It's the same thing. And Strome is probably going to look at Guentzel's 6 mil contract as a model.

How much value does Guentzel have on the open market? It's probably a lot. But let's look at maybe an easier comparison. Last year a top 6 Winger who kinda plays C was traded after putting up a 52 point pace, but many thought that his production was heavily aided by being around Elite Scorers fitting a similar profile and being a similar age as Strome. He got traded for a 1st and 3rd Round pick. That was JT Miller...

It doesn't matter who you're playing with, scoring 70+ takes a lot of skill...I mean we can go on. Elias Lindholm doesn't break 45 points for 4.5 seasons and yet, when he's with Johnny Hockey suddenly he's a 78 point player....Same thing.

Strome's most likely going to finish with 70+ points and that should most likely net you a 1st ++.

-VGK has a decent chunk of money coming off the books, so I think they'll be fine.
    -$6 million is a lot for Strome, and NYR can probably find players at cheaper rates to produce at high levels offensively when playing with Panarin. They also can find better defensive forwards than Strome, who is one of the league leaders in penalties taken, and advanced metrics suggest his defensive is poor. I just think NYR can spend the money better, and pick up more assets in the process. I am just a little pessimistic on the return compared to you (although a 2nd and a 3rd is not terrible). If Panarin is out a few games, let's see is Strome produces the same as before. I still think NYR should trade him, and just take the best deal offered.
    -JT Miller and Guentzel are distinguishable from Strome because they are signed to term. Strome is a pending RFA and could arbitrate for a one year deal and then walk to UFA next offseason. I think this deflates teams' willingness to pay.
    -In the following tweet, if you look at the graph, you can see that Strome significantly benefit from playing with Panarin and Fast. I am certainly not taking anything away from Strome. I believe he's a top 6 forward. But playing with one of the best offensive players in the world and a great defensive forward does help him look good. Also, doesn't you Lindholm example prove that playing with better people inflates your stats?

Here is the link. pic.twitter.com/VQs7Rcm4RD
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 12:01 p.m.
    -VGK has a decent chunk of money coming off the books, so I think they'll be fine.
    -$6 million is a lot for Strome, and NYR can probably find players at cheaper rates to produce at high levels offensively when playing with Panarin. They also can find better defensive forwards than Strome, who is one of the league leaders in penalties taken, and advanced metrics suggest his defensive is poor. I just think NYR can spend the money better, and pick up more assets in the process. I am just a little pessimistic on the return compared to you (although a 2nd and a 3rd is not terrible). If Panarin is out a few games, let's see is Strome produces the same as before. I still think NYR should trade him, and just take the best deal offered.
    -JT Miller and Guentzel are distinguishable from Strome because they are signed to term. Strome is a pending RFA and could arbitrate for a one year deal and then walk to UFA next offseason. I think this deflates teams' willingness to pay.
    -In the following tweet, if you look at the graph, you can see that Strome significantly benefit from playing with Panarin and Fast. I am certainly not taking anything away from Strome. I believe he's a top 6 forward. But playing with one of the best offensive players in the world and a great defensive forward does help him look good. Also, doesn't you Lindholm example prove that playing with better people inflates your stats?

Here is the link. pic.twitter.com/VQs7Rcm4RD[/quote]

1) Yeah less of a cap concern and more positional: Basically does Vegas want to pay 8 mil+ for a top pair Dman on the UFA market that's going to be in his 30's for the majority if not the entirety of the contract: Barrie/Krug/Pietrangelo. Even the 2nd tier options are going to be in their 30's for the majority if not entirety of the contract and going to cost 5 mil AAV at least for long term: Muzzin/Brodie/Schultz/Vatanen/Tanev/Hamonic/Gudas/Dillon....

As opposed to Trouba who's 25 and who's off contract by 32. It's really an investment choice, and you'd think a smart team wouldn't want to have Tyson Barrie or Torrey Krug making 8 mil at age 34 with 2 years left to go on their deal...

2) I agree. And I can't think of a scenario in which the Rangers pay Strome. I don't think the contract situation is a huge issue, and Strome playing for 3 teams already is a good incentive for him to ink a long term deal. I think he realizes this is his chance to cash in. So if a long term deal is what it takes to get a trade done, I think it'll happen.

3) Yes playing with one of the best offensive players in the world does help him look good.....like Guentzel lol
    https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/replacements/1819/PIT/crosbsi87/wrap

The point about Lindholm and Guentzel and Miller is that yes playing with better people does inflate your stats. And when it comes to trade value for Forwards - Points directly correlates to trade value on the open market regardless of context.....Thus you can say that Strome would only be worth a 2nd/3rd ONLY if you also say that Lindholm and Guentzel are also worth the same. Both of them Need Elite players to rack up point totals.
    It's also interesting, because it seems to take a particular skill to actually compliment a player in such a way.
    Examples: Andreas Johnsson spends 80+% of his TOI with Auston Matthews and hasn't sniffed above a 50 point pace
    Alex Iafallo Spends 80% of his TOI with Anze Kopitar and he hasn't touched a 45 point pace
    Zach Kassian spends 71% of his TOI with Connor friggin McDavid and he's at a 52 point pace.
    Sam Reinhart spends 90%! of his TOI with Jack Eichel and he hasn't cleared a 70 point pace (though he's close)

Do you know what these players all have in common? They spend a greater portion of their Ice Time with an Elite player and they all have a lower scoring pace than Strome....
    Assuming a contract is in a place, I can't think of a rational reason for him to go for less than JT Miller went for (1st + 3rd) and more likely MORE....
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 12:10 p.m.

Hard to put a value on Lindholm but I think Strome and Lindholm are good comparisons. Hard to compare them to Guentzel, who has produced consistently since the start of his career, even before playing with Sid and Malkin (I believe for a short time he played 3rd line and was producing). I do not think it's out of the question that Strome could get a first; I am saying that there are red flags about him (unsure whether he can sustain this level of production, defensively irresponsible). I would not be surprised if he yields a 1st, or a [2nd and a 3rd]. But I think this exercise is going to be useless, as I actually think NYR are going to keep him and sign him to a big deal (not that I would).
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
    Hard to put a value on Lindholm but I think Strome and Lindholm are good comparisons. Hard to compare them to Guentzel, who has produced consistently since the start of his career, even before playing with Sid and Malkin (I believe for a short time he played 3rd line and was producing). I do not think it's out of the question that Strome could get a first; I am saying that there are red flags about him (unsure whether he can sustain this level of production, defensively irresponsible). I would not be surprised if he yields a 1st, or a [2nd and a 3rd]. But I think this exercise is going to be useless, as I actually think NYR are going to keep him and sign him to a big deal (not that I would).

Ooof that would be pretty terrible since it would block Chytil from the top 6 and probably prevent a re-signing of Deangelo. Glad we could eventually see eye to eye
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.
    Ooof that would be pretty terrible since it would block Chytil from the top 6 and probably prevent a re-signing of Deangelo. Glad we could eventually see eye to eye

Haha I didn't think we were differing about what NYR should do. I think I am just a little more pessimistic about Strome's return.
    Jan. 25, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
    Haha I didn't think we were differing about what NYR should do. I think I am just a little more pessimistic about Strome's return.

pessimism is certainly the best protection against disappointment,.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll